Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way #172804
11/16/06 09:24 PM
11/16/06 09:24 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Anyone who's had the HONOR of meeting Bourbon knows that this lady is LOADED with information that everyone needs to know---no matter if you're a "seasoned" glider owner or spending your first few nights with these unique creatures. I had the RARE OPPORTUNITY of spending 2 days with her recently and learned SO VERY MUCH in such a short time...I distracted her with my shorthand (it's NOT "chicken-scratch", really! roflmao ) otherwise I would have taken notes. thanks Bourbon and let me know if I have anything mis-quoted, OK?

If you're fortunate enough to have a whole room to dedicate to playtime, there are several things you can do. If there's a ceiling fan in the room, you can put your baby on one of the blades (TURNED OFF, OF COURSE) then encourage them to "fly" down to you. It took Bourbon all of 5 minutes to "teach" each of 4 gliders what she wanted them to do (it took longer for Leigh--our hostess for the weekend & a very wonderful friend--to learn how to "catch" them! lol). After they did it once or twice, they were actually EXCITED to do it again & again.

At my own house, I don't have a ceiling fan; so I used the doorframe as my "launching point" for my babies. It was a little more challenging to teach them to "hang onto" the doorframe with 2 sets of feet, then help them have the confidence to hang on while I stepped back 4-5 paces. It took a few tries before they figured out that they hold on with their BACK feet & use their FRONT feet to hold their heads up & prepare for the "launch". (It was especially difficult for my stub-tailed pair: The first try was a MISERABLE dropping to the floor. But I remembered Bourbon's words about "there's no such thing as a handicapped glider...there are only handicapped glider owners who LET their gliders be handicapped". So I put them back up again, got them to HOLD ON then encouraged them to "fly"....AND THEY DID IT!!) They ALL can do it now, and they understand WHAT it is I want of them every time we try.

I also took a swinging saucer (literally a frisbee with 3 S-chains that come to a center chain) and hung it from the center of the room. There are also braided fleece ropes that come from all parts of the room to a ceiling hook where the swing dangles down. I'll put all the "family members" on the saucer then back 4-5 paces: the swinging gliders have 3 ways to get off--(1) climb the center chain to the ropes and "shinny" to another part of the room, (2) jump off to me, or (3) jump off to another cage. Whichever option they choose, they have to CLIMB or FLY.

Last tidbit, then I have to go: I'm as guilty as the next person about giving "treats" to my babies (Yogies are their weak spot). But if they want a Yogie, I make them STRETCH to get it. They'll be on top of their cage & I'll open the jar. I offer one (close enough for them to smell it) but I pull my hand farther & farther away until they're standing as TALL as they can & STRETCHED FULLY OUT to get the treat. Sometimes they'll act like "Geez, I don't want it THAT bad" so I'll move it back down & let them have a nibble, then pull it back up again. A smell is great temptation, a taste of the treat is even better.

Every night this routine is repeated, the babies catch on faster & faster. To a suggie, there is COMFORT in a routine...being waken at a set time, being given a set amount of time for "play" and certain things to play with...all are ways to show your love for your sweeties.

Go and HAVE FUN!!

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: minkasmom] #172818
11/16/06 09:36 PM
11/16/06 09:36 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Wonderful ideas! I do things like this with Timmy (although I also can tell when he just is too afraid and will put my hand up for him to climb down). He is still learning, as for when I got him, he was in such a small cage, he didn't even know how to jump, let alone glide! He is getting stronger and more confident and it is wonderful to witness and be a part of! And with Gidget, it is the same thing. But she is SO BIG it is taking her longer to build up her strength, but she is getting there and is climbing alot and will jump but has yet to 'glide'. We will keep working on it. But I agree 'making them work' (but making it fun) is great for them. I plan on making a 'bridge' with fleece to hang from the ceiling to work on their balance, strength and confidence, as well.

You are very lucky to have had the chance to meet Bourbon in person!

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: minkasmom] #172824
11/16/06 09:43 PM
11/16/06 09:43 PM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
I never even thought about using the fan as a launch pad! I am going home to try that right NOW!!!

The stretching for treats is a good thing? lol I do that!!

Thanks you (and Bourbon) so much for the great ideas!

Valorie and our 10 fur children

RIP Mary Kate
Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: MizValorie] #172839
11/16/06 09:55 PM
11/16/06 09:55 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
I make both of mine stretch for mealies/treats and most often will make them climb the rope or the fleece panel on the back of the cage to get up to me to get them wink They also have a large tree branch up the middle of the cage with smaller branches coming off of that as well as a live tree that has a measly 2 leaves left on it, lol...

Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: BeckiT] #172895
11/17/06 12:20 AM
11/17/06 12:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How the heck do you get them to walk onto the fan blade? I just tried it and he just will not do it! I'm not sure he is comfortable being that high just yet. Any tricks to help him get on?

Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: ] #172913
11/17/06 12:48 AM
11/17/06 12:48 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OMG I take that back. Ditto just jumped off the fan like 5 times. He loves it now, the last time he didnt even wait for me to position myself away from him, he tried to jump at the door frame but just kinda slid down and jumped back on me to do it again. Duncan still is getting used to smaller jumps so I think we will wait on this until he get more confident. Thanks though for the ideas!

Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: ] #172920
11/17/06 12:57 AM
11/17/06 12:57 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
what do you do when you're too short to reach the ceiling fan? (and this is an honest question because I am among the vertically challenged people, lol)

Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: BeckiT] #172931
11/17/06 01:13 AM
11/17/06 01:13 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Use a plastic step and jump off to get into position before they jump. Both of you can get a workout!! LOL

Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: ] #172935
11/17/06 01:23 AM
11/17/06 01:23 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
I'd need a ladder to reach my fan I think, we have vaulted ceilings and the fan is in the middle of the tallest part, probly a good 2 feet above my reach, lol

Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: BeckiT] #172997
11/17/06 08:13 AM
11/17/06 08:13 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Becki,
I think that you'd better use the doorframe instead of the ceiling fan roflmao I can just imagine you climbing a ladder and then jumping to try to be there to catch the glider roflmao roflmao roflmao I bet the glider would be catching you instead grin

These are all great ideas of ways to get your glider to exercise. Another one that Bourbon told me about is to hang a tapestry or large piece of fleece on the wall and place your glider at the bottom edge of it. The glider will climb up the tapestry and this will stretch the patagiums. The object of stretching is to get the patagium to flex and stretch out so that it doesn't get fat and "flabby" as it is prone to do without exercise.

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: sugarglidersuz] #173003
11/17/06 08:31 AM
11/17/06 08:31 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
I think I'll make a launching pad to set on top of their cage (I can reach the top of that, lol).. I have a huge piece of fleece across the mirror behind my garden tub (or is that the glider's tub? they use it more than I do, lol) that they climb up and fly off and start all over again wink

Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: BeckiT] #173050
11/17/06 12:20 PM
11/17/06 12:20 PM
Austin, TX
R
RMiriam Offline
Glider Lover
RMiriam  Offline
Glider Lover
R

Austin, TX
This is hilarious - I've spent the past few months trying to train my babies NOT to jump to the ceiling fan from the bookcase - I had read that there can be holes in the fan (although I looked hard and didn't find any). Now I'll have to retrain them TO jump to the fan!

Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: RMiriam] #173052
11/17/06 12:30 PM
11/17/06 12:30 PM
Texas
morksmom Offline
Glider Slave
morksmom  Offline
Glider Slave

Texas
I am so glad this was posted. jump.I was so worried about them getting into the fan that I kept them away from it. Awesome ideas..thanks so much for this info thanks

Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: morksmom] #173087
11/17/06 01:53 PM
11/17/06 01:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

the best idea ever! the fan idea was great! twinkles enjoi it too.. =)

Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: ] #173097
11/17/06 02:03 PM
11/17/06 02:03 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
There was one more "exercise" I didn't think about until I was halfway to work this morning....

It's called "Up and Down": Stretch one arm as far as you can, let your glider climb up to your hand & back down to your shoulder. As they reach your shoulder, put that arm down & raise the other one up.

A glider will naturally go to the "highest point possible" so this will keep them moving from one arm to the other. (And it's actually good for the glider slave, too!)

Becki, don't feel badly about being "vertically challenged"...being over 5'8" isn't all you'd think it is, especially when going into old-fashioned basements. How many times I've hit my head on ceiling beams; how challenging it is to find those size "Tall" pants; short-heeled shoes are about IMPOSSIBLE (my husband is 2" shorter than I am...) you get the idea! lol!

Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: minkasmom] #173144
11/17/06 03:24 PM
11/17/06 03:24 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
Thanks for sharing… and I have to tell you.. I have met B, and I can just hear her voice in the directions you posted above…lol… roflmao

* ~ * John * ~ * Sorry store is closed at this time.. <br>
Link -> [b]~~ XtremeGlider ~~ Home of the original Re~set Toys! ~~[/b] <br>
Oct 2012 update.. miss my gliders and my
glider family and think of my friends often!!!
Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: Xglider] #175280
11/22/06 03:22 PM
11/22/06 03:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If your ceiling fan as a light. Make sure the bulbs are not HOT. Turn the light off leaving enough time for the bulbs to cool before playtime.

Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: ] #176510
11/26/06 07:54 PM
11/26/06 07:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

At night my room becomes a glider room. i have four 12 ft.ropes that have clips on each end, i have screwed in four eye hold screws in the walls to hook the ropes to. At first Oreo could hardly walk accross them, now 5 months later, he is a PRO. He can run accross them as fast as he can run on the floor.

I also hang old t-shirts along the ropes. Oreo will jump from me to the shirts or vis-versa. There are about 6 shirts hanging up at a time. I tie 5 hoodies together at the wrist for another kind of "rope". Fleece blankets are great to use to, all you have to do is clip the blankets along the ropes with clothes lines.

All this takes about 10mins to put up at night. And is well worth it, I just love to see oreo climbing and glideing all over the room. Ill take pictures tonight and post them.

PS people..be sure to dust that fan twice a week too....

Last edited by oreo1986; 11/26/06 07:56 PM.
Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: ] #178139
11/29/06 07:23 PM
11/29/06 07:23 PM
Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
LOL, gosh how I remember that night.. laughed till i cried.. one of the gliders in fact it was the first one that we taught to glide that night, was shall we say.. a bit rotund..so getting her to do anything but drop was a feat in itself, once she started to glide, she was a demon..

as for the platform off the cage.. when you are teaching a glider to glide the best place to put them is in a precarious position.. one they feel unsafe with, the first thing they will want is down where it is stable and to a safe zone.. (great for bonding too) and that safe zone should be you.

please before you use the fan, please check for any holes that you can put your thumb or fingers into, use your best and I did say your best judgement as to whether or not it will be an issue.

as for the door frames, also a fav of mine.. be sure the door is shut and locked.. so no accidents happen. leigh actually had a really agile glider who climbed down the frame rather than glide from it.

some other ideas is..

I had a wire towel rack with rolling bars hanging over my door. or a clothes hook of some sort. hang a washrag over the door (so only a couple of inches is explosed, then shut it, be sure the door holds it tight..

Minkasmom, sure was great to spend time with both off you..

Xglider, i sure miss yall down there, bud.. you have seen some neat things others haven't either.. I don't have near enough time to show everything at one time..

Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: Bourbon] #178249
11/29/06 10:05 PM
11/29/06 10:05 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
mad Crabby Abby isn't FAT....she's just EXTREMELY FLUFFY! roflmao

I can also say that Miss Tiger Lilly isn't fat anymore, either....nor is she "handicapped" now! clap She has figured out EXACTLY what hanging onto the doorjam means, and she SAILS SO FAR jump .... I'm always underestimating how far she's going to FLY so she either lands on my face or overshoots me & lands on the cage BEHIND ME!

It's such a doggone shame that I have to wait til Spring to show you the progress that she and ALL my babies have made since the first of October...((sigh)) it's going to be a L-O-N-G winter!

hug2 Miss you, lady dear!

Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: minkasmom] #361489
08/14/07 09:35 AM
08/14/07 09:35 AM
Little Rock Arkansas
triscuit Offline
Out of Pouch
triscuit  Offline
Out of Pouch

Little Rock Arkansas
I know this board probably is no longer in use but I just wanted to say, those sound like great ideas!! I would have never thought of that. We do not have a fan but the door jamb thing will hopefully solve a lot of worries I have been having about my glider, I have not seen her jump a lot unless she wishes to potty on top of the book shelf. Adnt the stretching for treats thing, I never thought about that being excercise I just liked to see her bring herself to her full height.

"today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: triscuit] #381473
09/11/07 11:03 PM
09/11/07 11:03 PM

M
mandyrae
Unregistered
mandyrae
Unregistered
M

So I justed tried to put gabby on the fan and she just sat there and looked at me.. I had to finlly grab her off there! Guess that won't work for me! smile

Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: ] #381485
09/11/07 11:26 PM
09/11/07 11:26 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Since that wasn't a sailing success, Mandy, you might try using the trim (also known as moulding) around the doorway: Let Gabby get a good "grip" on the trim, then bring your hands about a foot down from her. She'll hang there with a TERRIFIED look on her face...wiggle your fingers & encourage her to jump (and BE PATIENT while she tries to figure this out). Eventually she'll let go...put her right back up & do it again (about a total of 4 times). You're building up HER confidence that you'll be there to CATCH HER. Do this EVERY DAY, moving your hands farther away in height & distance...

PERSISTENCE and CONSISTENCE are the keys to success here. These babies are SMART!!! She WILL catch on to what you want!

Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: minkasmom] #381509
09/12/07 12:10 AM
09/12/07 12:10 AM

37creekview
Unregistered
37creekview
Unregistered

ahh a room of our own.....we can only dream....until then it is off to the tent

Re: Exercising Your Glider....In a FUN Way [Re: ] #381628
09/12/07 07:44 AM
09/12/07 07:44 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
I have to chime in here smile At this year's SGGA, Denise (minkasmom) showed me how to do this with my fluffy Mareki. I was amazed, but it really DOES work! If you have a fluffy glider, do try putting him/her on the doorjamb and then wiggling your fingers until they hop to you. Gradually, over time, they will get the hang of it and will start gliding again! (I haven't been able to work with Mareki on it very much due to self-sustained patagium injuries, but once she's completely healed again, we'll be back to exercising again thumb )

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024