Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tail story.....be aware of your vet... #1785
09/26/00 11:41 AM
09/26/00 11:41 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

update on hurt tail and the vet that made it worse <BR>by: Tammy P<P>hi all, i just wanted to update you guys on my glider because you were all so helpful during the worst stimes. for those that dont remember, my grumpy had his tail amputated (the vet was trying to fix the tail and said he couldnt so he amputated instead - without my express permission). i told this vet before the surgery of known problems with gldier mutilation and need of painkillers. he said no he wouldnt give painkillers. i gave him numbers of experienced vets out-of-state (none here in new mexico) and he said he called them and they knew about as much as him, and told him to do what he felt best. i found out that was a lie, because the out-of-state vets told me personally he didnt call. when i picked up grumpy afterwards, he gave me some meds. i figured it was antibiotics. we had massive problems with glider mutilation but survived it. a week later the tail tip was black. i went to a new vet. the new vet told me the meds grumpy was on was a painkiller!!!!! <BR>grumpy had gotten necrosis (blood poisoning, like gangerene) which could have been prevented if he was given antibiotics. the new vet had to re-amputate, and took off another 2 1/2 inches to get rid of all the infection. my new vet spent 20 minutes on the phone with DR TODD WOLFE (thank you dr wolfe!!!) getting proper procedures. today, grumpy gets his stitches out, and is doing great (he has had 2 checkups a week since the re-amputation, no charge!). he is left with a 1 1/2 inch tail, and is lucky to be alive. if the necrosis had gone just a bit farther down his tail and into his body, he would be dead now. <BR>i am in the process of filing a formal complaint against the 1st vet, with the new mexico vet. medical association. he will be judged by his peers, vets from across the state. it will take awhile, but he will learn and hopefully pay for what he did to me and my poor grumpy. thank every one of you that helped me. <BR>i can say only one thing more-dont just automatically trust a vet. they arent always truthful. make sure you know what is going on and proper treatments for your problem. get 2nd opinions immediately from trusted vets like dr todd wolfe if you think something might be wrong, or if your vet is disagreeing with you. im happier with my new inexperienced vet because she really cares about my glider and was willing to admit she didnt know it all and maybe i did know what i was talking about, and would work with an out of state vet like dr wolfe. she and dr wolfe is who i credit with saving my glider.<P>

Re: Tail story.....be aware of your vet... [Re: ] #1786
11/30/00 01:10 AM
11/30/00 01:10 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Can someone PLEASE post me this Dr. Wolfe's address and/or telephone number? I take our Aengus to an exotic veterinarian who admittedly knows nothing about gliders. We took him to the vet when we noticed a buildup on his head-spot gland, which looked like a scab! As it turns out it was only a buildup of oily excretion which hardened, thank god. He told me that looking on this website is a good idea and that we probably knew more than he did.He'd never seen a glider before. He seems to be a good vet but,after reading some of these stories, God forbid anything ever happens, though we try to keep his diet okay and take precautions with safety, you never know. I'm asking for Dr.Wolfe's number so that our vet can call if need be, ever. I figure this will most definitely help other gliders who may eventually cross this vets path! Thank you so much. Also, can anyone tell me definitively yes or no on Christmas tree? I read some posts and they contradicted one another. It's getting close and we won't buy one if it's a hazard. I anxiously await response.

Re: Tail story.....be aware of your vet... [Re: ] #1787
12/13/00 02:29 AM
12/13/00 02:29 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

awe thats so sad for grumpy. i can't believe that the vet did all that without your permission. i would have killed him. so sorry to hear but happy he'll be okay. <BR> brandi []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/] mike []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/] and mikey []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/]<BR>

Re: Tail story.....be aware of your vet... [Re: ] #1788
12/17/00 12:38 AM
12/17/00 12:38 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Where in New Mexico are you guys from?

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024