Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gizmo Gal(that was my nickname for my glider) #1833
10/30/00 08:02 PM
10/30/00 08:02 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

This is the story of my Gizmo. you can see my original posts here. <A HREF="http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000656.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000656.html</A> <A HREF="http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001076.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001076.html</A> (hope those links work).<P> This story is to warn people don’t get your sugargliders if your not sure what your going to feed them when you get them. Basically what I ended up feeding them was the unmodified version of leadbeatters, with fruits and vegtibills, what they had been living off of at the pet shop and breeder before that was birdseed and fruit. And one night I was putting Gizmo and Smokey in their cage. After taking a drink of water she just kind of collapsed in the corner, when I went to see what was wrong she crabbed and started moving, only she was dragging her back legs. I immediately went to this board and posted. I ended up on the phone with Bourbon, who told me their correct diet and also what I could feed them now that would help them that would get some calcium into them. It took a couple of minutes but my mom finally took me Down to wawa(which really was sweet of her because she has night blindness and therefore hates to drive at night) to get some oranges and yogurt. In the morning we took her to the vet where she weighed in at 51 grams that visit and Smokey weighed 44 grams the last visit which was only a couple of days ago. Which was normal since they were about 4 months OOP. The vet said she couldn’t pee on her own, and gave her a shot of cortizone. I continued to give them both oranges(nither of them would eat the yogurt). I took them back to the vet the next morning for fluid shots for the both of them(they had become dehydrated when I moved them to an aquarium-like bucket because I didn’t want Gizmo to hurt herself further and for Smokey to get an initial injury it wasn’t till I found an old water bottle hanger I had bought originally for my gerbils, the kind you can put into an aquarium and still use a regular water bottle that they became totally rehydrated) and X-rays and a calcium shot for Gizmo. When we went back there later we found out that she had no broken bones, which had actually given me a lot of hope for her. In a few days she regained the ability to pee on her own. About a week after that she went back to the vet for another calcium and cortizone shot for her, then she weighed 47 grams. About another week after that I noticed sludge-like stuff around her tail. I called the vet but the doctor that saw her wasn’t in that day but he would be in tomorrow. I couldn’t find another vet within driving distance that I knew my mom would drive to. I called the vet the next day and made an appointment for the day after that day(I wasn’t able to call until later in the afternoon that’s why I couldn’t get her to the vet till the next day). When we went to the vet the next day my Smokey weighed 54 grams, but my little Gizmo only weighed in at 39 grams. The vet gave her a shot of baytrill on the off chance that she just had diarrhea instead of putting her to sleep then. But her said that most likely that her body was starting to shut down, but that we could give her the weekend and see how she was and to bring her in on Monday(which is today as I write this 10/30/2000) with Smokey who was going to be neutered. I spent as much of the weekend with her as I could. I don’t have any regrets about that weekend. On Saturday I took her with me everywhere. I was even able to get a hold of some Polaroid and get a couple of pitchers of her which made me happy to at least have a pitcher of her. Even though her tail had dried up some at that point, you could see her eyes said it was time to go. On Sunday at around quarter to 4 we were going to BJ’s(I’m not sure if there are any other BJ’s anywhere in case there isn’t, it’s a whole sale club, we went there to get candy for the trick-or treaters because here they come on the 30th I took them with me when I went to take my hand out to put my coat on Gizmo pulled my hand back I just couldn’t take my hand out after that and didn’t till we got back to the car from BJ’s. When we finally got back out to the car I took her out of the pouch, when I took her out of the pouch I found she had died. But as far as I know she died warm, comfortable, and happy, The big thing for me was I was with her. I feel bad for Smokey he’s very lonely. The first time I opened the pouch to see if he was okay he looked up at me then put his head back down after a couple of seconds he looked up again then he put his head back down. he did this 10 or 11 time he kept expecting me to put Gizmo in there with him. He spent the whole night trying to get out of his cage so he could look for her. He’s just been neutered today, and I’m now in the process of looking for another cage mate for him.<P> I guess by telling this story I hope to warn everybody that it isn’t okay to wait to put your glider on the right diet. Make sure you know what your going to feed your glider when your going to get them. I’ve learned the hard way how important diet is.

Re: Gizmo Gal(that was my nickname for my glider) [Re: ] #1834
10/30/00 08:29 PM
10/30/00 08:29 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm so sorry she didn't make it. I know it was hard for you to post this. Thank you so much for soing so. Hopefully your story will help others. []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif[/]

Re: Gizmo Gal(that was my nickname for my glider) [Re: ] #1835
10/30/00 08:51 PM
10/30/00 08:51 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I just have to say how sorry I am to read about poor little Gizmo. I had a glider pass away a short while ago, and I know how hard it is to deal with their death.<P>I hope Smokey continues to do well. My Nisse was so sad when the other one passed that after two days of watching at her mourn I just had to get another one. I chose a little girl, Piglet, and I think it really helped to get a new companion.<P>I know we can't make it any better, but hopefully it'll help you to know that so many of us out here understand and care about what you're going through []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/sad.gif[/]

Re: Gizmo Gal(that was my nickname for my glider) [Re: ] #1836
10/31/00 12:51 PM
10/31/00 12:51 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Erin,<BR>I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it was for you to share this, but I am glad you had the courage to do that. It will help someone else and some other gliders too. []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/heart.gif[/] Blessings,

Re: Gizmo Gal(that was my nickname for my glider) [Re: ] #1837
11/01/00 02:49 PM
11/01/00 02:49 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

sorry to hear about this. but could you let me know exactly what i should feed. i was going to feed the modified leadbeaters also with fruits and veg. is there something missing in this? thanks

Re: Gizmo Gal(that was my nickname for my glider) [Re: ] #1838
11/01/00 05:38 PM
11/01/00 05:38 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Actullay what I was feeding them was the unmodified version of lead beaters which is this<P>Apple Juice: 1/2 cup<BR>Honey: 1/2 cup<BR>Shelled boiled egg: 1<BR>Gerber Baby cereal: 1/2 cup (dry flakes)<BR>Wheat Germ: 1/4 cup<P>The leadbeatters you should feed them is bourbons modified leadbeatters which is this<P><BR>1/2 cup Honey <BR>1 egg WITH shell (boiled or scrambled) <BR>(I Hard Boil Mine) <BR>1/4 cup Wheat Germ <BR>1/2 cup high protein dry baby cereal.. (Mixed or Oatmeal) <BR>(I use rice with fruit bits) <BR>(Because the cereal that is high in protein can't be easily found here in the states, <BR>I added an extra jar of Chicken, to make it a total of 2) <BR>2 2 1/2 oz jar of Stage 2 Heinz chicken w/ chicken gravy baby<BR>food <BR>(including the extra jar added, IF you CAN find the HIGH protein baby cereal just use 1<BR>jar of chicken) <BR>1 4oz bottle Gerber juice with yogurt (Mixed Fruit or Bannana) <BR>both have yogurt mixed in, the fluid is creamy colored (see pic above) <BR>2 teaspoons RepCal non-phosphorus with Vit. D3 in it. <BR>Pink and white jar (my petstore ordered it for me)(see pic below).<P>I copied this. It can also be found on her page, but I can't get on it right now and from what I hear nither can anyone else. Hope that explains it.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 393 guests, and 110 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,597 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,175 OKLAHOMA
432,184 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024