Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Heart Broken #2043
01/09/01 06:08 PM
01/09/01 06:08 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

After loosing my dog of sixteen years I decided to get a new pet. I discovered gliders from a local pet store and fell in love with the idea of them. I decided to look for a place that probably took better care of their gliders then a pet store. I found a pet store that said they got their gliders from a breeder uppon request, so I got one from them. The glider I got was a little crazier then expected. I spent all day,everyday with that glider; named Sugar. After a week she was starting to come around. Then one day I awoke to find her lying on the bottom of the cage. I scoped her up and took her to the vet. She died an hour latter. The vet had no clue why. I did'nt do anything wrong and had her for only a week, but still I was devestated. I was overcome with saddness and guilt. <BR> I then decided to find another glider. one; becaues I really wanted one, and two; becaues I wanted to prove that I was a good owner. I found a good breeder and was able to get a neutered boy in a months time. Jesse was way crazier than I expected. The breeders said he was, unfortunatley, the worst they had ever had, and did'nt know why. I spent all day everyday with him, but got no change. After a few months I was very discouraged and called the breeder to get some ideas. I had tried just about everything and nothing had worked, so he recommended I get another, and maybe that would calm him down. In another month I got Katie, a little sweety. She was an angle from the second I got her. It took awhile for her to become friends with Jesse, but they finally became roomates. They did'nt love eachother, but they got along ok. Jesse calmed down, but was still very untrusting. That was one year ago.<BR> About a week ago I was seeing that Katie was not as active as she used to be. I soon took her to the vet who told me he had no idea what was wrong with her. I decided to get some more vitamans, make sure she was eating well, and seperate her from Jesse who I knew could be a bully. I watched her closely for the next few days. She was eating and drinking, but not that much, and she was getting worse. I searched and searched and found a second vet. He was much better. He ran some tests and found blood in her urine. He gave me some drugs, and gave her some stuff right there. She made an immediate improvment. However, this past Sunday, two days after the vet, she woke up in pretty bad shape. I gave her her medicine and let her rest in her pouch with me the rest of the day. When I took her out in the evening she was much worse. The vet happened to just then call to see how she was doing. I said, not so great, but he did'nt have much advise. Just to keep forcing fluids and the medicine, which she hatted. <BR> I fought with her for about two hours, on and off. Untill the last time I noticed her inabitity to struggle, keep fluids down, or keep her balance. She was struggling to breath. It was 10:00pm on Sunday, and there is no emergency place that takes care of gliders. I tried one more time to give her fluids, but nothing stayed down. I put her down and she feel on her side and lay there nearly paralized. I made the decision to not torture her in what seemed like her last hours. I held her tight, talked softly, kept her warm, and whatched her die. She died at 3:30am on Monday. She was wrapped in a small pecice of cloth like a big blanket and lying on my chest. I held her until morning when I burried her in the yard. She was a wonderful pet, and now I am left heart broken and overwhelemed with guilt. I dont think I did anything wrong, but I could'nt save her, and now all I feel is empty.<P>*Two reasons for writing my first, and probably last, message. One; I needed to get this off my chest. Two; now I have a glider who I love, but is very untrusting and gives nothing in return. Having Katie helped Jesse but he was still crazy. I dont know if I can deal with just him, and I dont think I can deal with trying again with another glider, and I dont know how I would deal with giving him up. Im spending a lot of time with him, but he is already reverting back to the way he was. I dont know what to do.<P>sorry this was so long. Thanks for listening.

Re: Heart Broken [Re: ] #2044
01/09/01 07:03 PM
01/09/01 07:03 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

i am so very very sorry. the loss of a loved one is a terrible thing to endure. atleast you can take comfort in the fact that you were loving her during her last few hours and i'm sure you left her with a loving memory to take with her.

Re: Heart Broken [Re: ] #2045
01/09/01 07:08 PM
01/09/01 07:08 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm so sorry you lost little Katie. I know how hard it can be to lose a pet you love so much. I don't know what advice to give you on Jesse, but hopefully someone else can help. You sound like you love your gliders very much and did everything you could. Don't blame yourself for losing Katie. []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/sad.gif[/]

Re: Heart Broken [Re: ] #2046
01/09/01 08:44 PM
01/09/01 08:44 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I have been through this myself and its so very hard. My heart goes out to you. []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/sad.gif[/]

Re: Heart Broken [Re: ] #2047
01/09/01 11:13 PM
01/09/01 11:13 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm so sorry to hear about Katie. I know hard hard this is for you. Please do not blame yourself for what happened. It sounds to me like you did everything you could have done. I don't know what to tell you about Jesse though. If you really don't want him anymore, maybe someone from the board could give him a good home. Please don't be a stranger here.<BR>Leanne

Re: Heart Broken [Re: ] #2048
01/10/01 05:28 AM
01/10/01 05:28 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I am sorry to hear about Katie passing and I know your pain also. With time you will still feel the saddness but you will learn to treasure the good times. <P>I am by no means an expert but there still may be hope for Jessie. Please read Bourbon's Page on bonding and try to start over with Jessie. I am sure Jessie is lost too. He no longer has a friend. <P>I have a young male who I aquired at six months of age who was a terrible and nasty biter. It took over three months of being bitten several times a day before he turned around. I basicly hand feed him four to six times a day. I had removed the nest box and gave him a pouch to sleep in and hung it on the cage door so I could drop the food in and gradually worked up to where he finally took it from my fingers. Today he is one of my tamest gliders. His name is Taz.

Re: Heart Broken [Re: Anonymous] #2049
01/11/01 10:51 AM
01/11/01 10:51 AM
USA
BMXgirl Offline
Serious Glideritis
BMXgirl  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
I am so very sorry about your dog,the first glider Sugar,and im sorry about Katie. Thats terrible to hear.I know how hard it is to lose pets (sometimes its harder to deal with than some human deaths),dont blame yourself (i know harder said than done),it sounds like you are a very loving and caring pet owner.Hmmmm as for Jesse,all i can say is try not to give up hope to soon,ive heard in rare cases,gliders could take a very long time to totally bond to a person,but in the end its worth all the trouble and time.Again im very sorry for your heartache,take care of yourself and keep us posted on Jesse. []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/]<P>------------------<BR>God Bless us all big and small....<BR>bmxgirl(overprotective mother) & Mya™(the"baby")

www.GlidersUncensored.com
(Glider Anatomy, Info, & a wee bit of fun.)
Re: Heart Broken [Re: ] #2050
01/14/01 09:31 PM
01/14/01 09:31 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks to everyone for your understanding and sympathy. I'm spending a lot of time with Jesse. He has been barking almost all night the last couple of nights. Hopefully he will get over losing katie soon. I am going to keep working with him for a while. Hopefully he'll improve. <BR>Thanks again.

Re: Heart Broken [Re: ] #2051
01/20/01 08:06 PM
01/20/01 08:06 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

So sorry about your loss! I've lost one of mine before and it is a very painful thing []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/sad.gif[/]

Re: Heart Broken [Re: ] #2052
02/05/01 03:10 AM
02/05/01 03:10 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

im so sorry to hear about your dog and your baby katie... I too lost my first one i thought i was doing everything right didnt realize she had been draggin her hind legs due to not being healthy we thought it was cuz her nails got clipped to short and Taz passed while my bf watched her and held her... I'm not that strong he told me she passed and i cried and cried and cried... and i only had her 3 wks... but i couldnt give up cuz i too am a good mommy to any pet i have ever had I am a big Rotti fan and i had to give her away cuz she was a big doggie ... now have 2 males one i have had for a month Flash Gordon who is like Jesse he hates me but i still try and try and my other Spiderman who is sweet not yet tame tame but he lets me pet him and he will walk on every now and then... so i too can relate to all of your stories... i can hear the wheel going and im sure thats Flash he loves that thing... thanks for sharing your story []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/heart.gif[/] and good luck w/ Jesse ... I know how you feel Flash hates me and loves my boyfriend but i too am not giving up.... we are good mommy's remember that... []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/]<BR>good luck and god bless<BR><P>------------------<BR><BR>always<BR>Jessica Jim <BR>Flash Gordon <BR>and <BR>Spiderman

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 398 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,595 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,174 OKLAHOMA
432,178 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024