Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sick Gliders #208689
01/28/07 12:56 AM
01/28/07 12:56 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have 2 female gliders showing several symptoms of an unhealthy glider. I have posted about them before a while back. They have been to a couple different vets, but we still don't know what is wrong with them.

I'll start with Gracie, my 1 year old WFB het. She has a very slightly inverted pouch. It doesnt seem to bother her at all, that I can tell, but it is there.(I will try to get a picture tonight). She also has a yellow stained stomach. The vets I have spoken with and taken her to see, all don't really think she has a serious problem but have told me to watch her very closely for any signs of discomfort, pain, or of it getting worse. she has had her pouch swabbed and a culture done. It is not a yeast infection. It is not red, dry, or irritated. But it does look a liitle swollen around her pouch. I have also noticed some shaking with her, it is not constant, but does occur somewhat frequently. I should add that she is a shy girl and very fearful, so it's possible that she is shaking out of fear.

Now Roxi is the very unhealthy looking girl. She is an approximately 2 year old cinnamon. I got her 1 year ago and she had a beautiful cinnamon colored, thick coat, with a bushy tail. But she did have an awful odor starting the day I got her. She was on Darcy's diet then. I already had Gracie at that time and she was on BML, so I attempted to switch Roxi over to that, but she wouldnt touch it. So instead I switched Gracie to Darcy's. I had them on that for a couple months and they both smelled awful and had diarhea. So I did some research and decided to switch them over to the Suncoast diet. That did help the odor for awhile and the diarhea stopped completely. At the end of May(They had been on Suncoast diet for 4 months by then) they started smelling again, but no diarhea. Then Roxi started getting a little thinner, and her coat lost its Cinnamon color. And her stomach turned a rust/grey and yellowy color. These things came very slowly and did take me awhile to notice what was happening. First vet accually told me Gracie was a male and was marking of Roxi and causing the smell and color stains, which was COMPLETELY not true, Gracie is a FEMALE! After another month I noticed her hair was thinning out, so I finally found another glider vet, and took them in again. This vet said their was definately something wrong with her. So she had Fecal and Urinary tests done. Nothing was found, so he suggested switching her diet to either BML or Pricillas diet, so she has now been on Pricillas diet for 2 months and her weight has improved greatly, and the smell is much better. But her coat is still in very poor condition. We took her to another vet 3 hours away for blood tests and again nothing was found. My vet has been contacting other exotic vets to see if he can figure out what is causing this, so far all are stumped. The vets all think that it isnt something contagious and don't believe Gracies inverted pouch has anything to do with it either. One vet said it could be something genetic.

So to sum it up, Roxi's current symptoms are very thin coat, loss of cinnamon color to coat, tail and base of tail are especially thinned out. Stomach stained grey/rust and yellowy colors starting right under her chin and ending at her tail, including backs of legs. recently she has started rubbing up against the cage bars and scrathcing a lot. I havent had a chance to tell my vet about that yet, but will asap. Is it possible that she could have some type of mites?Very frail appearance, not sure how to explain that, but I will get pictures up. She also drinks a ton of water and urinates almost continuously, which we believe to be the cause of the staining of Gracie and Roxi, but she doesnt have a UTI.She is still very active, and eats very good.

If anyone has ever had a glider have these symptoms or has any idea what could be causing this, please let me know!

Anther thing, when I got Roxi, the lady said that she had to stay on Darcy's diet. I remember her mentioning that it made her coat shiny. I have tried contacting the woman again to ask if this has happened before or if their is any reason her coat is like this, but she wont return my emails.

Re: Sick Gliders [Re: ] #208715
01/28/07 01:32 AM
01/28/07 01:32 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I really don't know what to tell you. Except I do know that some diets will make a glider certain colors. Her lossing her cinnie coloring could be because of the diet she was on, and once you switched her over and that old diet got out of her system her normal coloring came back in. I don't know why she would start loosing (thinning) her hair though.

I agree that her underbelly being a rusty, yellow coloring is due to her drinking and then peeing so much. But I don't know what would cause her to drink so much.

I would normally say get them to the vet, but you have done that and have stumped them as well. I will be watching this post to see if anyone has any good ideas.

Re: Sick Gliders [Re: ] #208718
01/28/07 01:36 AM
01/28/07 01:36 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Lauren, I have no experience with any of this, so can't be of much help, but I wanted to let you know I'll keep you and your girls in my thoughts that you find an answer that helps you get them back on track to being healthy again!

Re: Sick Gliders [Re: BeckiT] #208724
01/28/07 02:02 AM
01/28/07 02:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks! It's so strange, but I guess the good thing is that she doesnt seem to be getting any worse, and she does still act normal. She just isnt looking her best..

Re: Sick Gliders [Re: ] #208725
01/28/07 02:07 AM
01/28/07 02:07 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

pictures would be helpful when you can get them.... do you have any pictures of before when she looked healthy?

Re: Sick Gliders [Re: ] #208733
01/28/07 02:19 AM
01/28/07 02:19 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
North_Nocturne Offline
Glider Lover
North_Nocturne  Offline
Glider Lover

Cincinnati, Ohio
Have any of the vets checked Roxi for diabetes? That was my first thought when you mentioned that she drinks a lot and urinates so often. Also, diabetes can cause a myriad of health problems throughout the body which could explain Roxi's other symptoms.

Maybe we can try to find a member here at GC who has a diabetic glider to get more first-hand info on the symptoms and issues he or she noticed. I'll do a bit of searching and see if I can find anything.

Elizabeth
gliders. Nocturne & Lark
Re: Sick Gliders [Re: North_Nocturne] #208739
01/28/07 02:28 AM
01/28/07 02:28 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
North_Nocturne Offline
Glider Lover
North_Nocturne  Offline
Glider Lover

Cincinnati, Ohio
Diabetes thread

Here's a link to a thread started by Xfilefan, who has a diabetic glider. The postings might be able to get you some more info and I'm sure Xfilefan wouldn't mind being contacted to help you out, too.

Best of luck! hug2

Elizabeth
gliders. Nocturne & Lark
Re: Sick Gliders [Re: North_Nocturne] #208890
01/28/07 02:24 PM
01/28/07 02:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One of the vets has mentioned diabetes as a possibility.I will talk to my vet abut that again. I'll try and get ahold of him tomarrow.

Yes I do have pics of her of when she was healthy, but when I scan them onto the computer, it looses the cinnamon coloring. I took a couple pics of her lastnight, but I am going to try again today while she's tired to see if I can get a better one. And I have to figure out how to get the pics onto the computer. I just got this digital camera and am still trying to figure it out.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024