Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lump Over Eye #213602
02/06/07 03:28 AM
02/06/07 03:28 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

First off I wanna say I am sorry if this should have been posted in the health section. I was about to put it there but then I found a similar post that said this was a serious issue, but that post was after a bite.
Anyways, I came home this evening and one of my girls, Nessy, had a lump over her eye. It is the normal color of her hair and I dont notice anything else different in her eye or any irritation. I touched it with my finger and it does not seem to be hard or hurt her when I touch it. I dont see how she would have gotten hurt nor does she seem any different than usual.
Im guessing a vet trip is in order. I am putting this in emergency so hopefully somebody will read this and let me know if this is emergency enough where I need to get her to an emergency vet ASAP tommorow morning or if this can wait a couple days until i get to the vet. I have a good vet a couple hours away. I just dont know how serious this is or if i am just getting worried.
Thanks in advance for any advice and again Im sorry for putting this in emergency when Im not sure if is or not.
P. Connor Mulligan

Re: Lump Over Eye [Re: ] #213603
02/06/07 03:43 AM
02/06/07 03:43 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I dont know what would cause the swelling over her eye, but I agree with you, a vet trip is in order.

I think if she were my suggie and her nose was pink and she was eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, and behaving normally, I would feel ok about watching her tonite and getting her in to her regular vet the first thing in the morning. Of course, you are there with her and if you notice a change or you would just feel better taking her to a 24 hr vet you can.

You did the right thing in posting this here in the Emergency Forum as it is meant for this purpose. I am going to move this to Health now where you will get more responses.

Keep us posted on your little one.

Re: Lump Over Eye [Re: ] #213626
02/06/07 08:36 AM
02/06/07 08:36 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Connor,
A lump over the eye is usually caused by an abscess and/or infection. Please get her into a vet first thing in the morning - don't wait a couple of days.
If it is an abscess and the vet decides to lance it, ask the vet to get a sample of the fluid inside the abscess to send out for Culture & Sensitivity (C&S). This will tell the vet exactly what infection is present and specifically which antibiotic to prescribe to clear it up. These types of abscesses can be particularly difficult to clear up with general antibiotics, so a C&S is very crucial in optimal treatment. If the vet says that they're going to take your glider "back" to get a closer look at the lump, ask them about the C&S before they go "back" - that way they won't have already lanced it before you can tell ask them for the C&S. A C&S is expensive, relatively speaking, but very important and well worth the expense! Without proper diagnosis and treatment of the infection, it can become a recurring problem that becomes more & more resistant to antibiotics.
In the meantime, while waiting for the C&S results (usually takes a few days), the vet should prescribe a more general antibiotic such as Baytril or SMZ/TMP for prophylactic treatment until the specific antibiotic to use is known.
HTH

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Lump Over Eye [Re: sugarglidersuz] #213868
02/06/07 06:27 PM
02/06/07 06:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Any updates?

Re: Lump Over Eye [Re: ] #213973
02/06/07 09:18 PM
02/06/07 09:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well I took her out to the vet today, and to my dismay the place was completely crowded with people, even people waiting outside. I told them about my problem and that I had spoken to some well-informed people that told me that was to be treated as an emergency and needed immediate care. They told me it was most likely not critical and they could not get me in any earlier than thursday morning, which I setup.
I was at the University of Florida vet in Gainesville btw. I know they have a lab and have had good experience with them in the past, but it was with appointment, not emergency care.
So she is back home right now and I am in class. I am thinking of calling other vets in the morning perhaps in tampa as it the next closest area. Still the glider appears fine, she still shows no sign of pain or any other change in condition, seems to be acting her normal self.
Thanks for the prompt info guys and I will give another update tommorow as to what happens.
Connor

Re: Lump Over Eye [Re: ] #215099
02/08/07 07:20 PM
02/08/07 07:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well I could not get her out to another vet yesterday but I got her back out to the UF vet this morning. It was extremely busy and I had to talk to the vet in a waiting room after they examined her so I missed a little but they told me they thought it was a cyst I believe, they said it was hard and that infections generally are soft and have some sort of visible red mark or something, but they are not sure so they were doing a surgery tommorow morning to find out exactly what it was and remove it.
She said it was most likely nothing to bad and would be just a minor surgery with some antibiotics and such.
Anyways thanks for the info again, hopefully surgery will go well and I will update again tommorow.
Connor

Re: Lump Over Eye [Re: ] #215120
02/08/07 07:55 PM
02/08/07 07:55 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
Connor … glad you got her check out… and hope the surgery goes with out a hitch…

* ~ * John * ~ * Sorry store is closed at this time.. <br>
Link -> [b]~~ XtremeGlider ~~ Home of the original Re~set Toys! ~~[/b] <br>
Oct 2012 update.. miss my gliders and my
glider family and think of my friends often!!!
Re: Lump Over Eye [Re: Xglider] #215873
02/10/07 11:12 AM
02/10/07 11:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry I did not get the chance to update yesterday. The surgery went really well, except for the fact that it got moved back a bunch of hours because of an emergency for a sloth that was nearly dying they were workin on all day. So I had to sit in the waiting room for a long time.
But the surgery went really well they said, they found a piece of plant matter inside the lump which they said they have never seen before. So they think it may be just irritation caused by the plant that may have got under her eye. But still they sent it out for the C&S and maybe something else because they said they were checking to see what kind, if any, bacteria there was and also to see if it was cancerous, which they said they doubt, but I should have the results in a few days and they want to see her again two weeks.
They were very friendly, called me first thing in the morning to say she acted good all night, ate her food and spent most of the time in her pouch and they called me again before she was supposed to go in surgery. I got some antibiotics for 2 weeks and pain medication for 5 days. Ness is acting a little groggy and isnt running much when she is out but they said that is to be expected from the pain medication.
Thanks for the quick info guys and what to ask for. Everything went well and hopefully will turn out to be nothing.
P. Connor

Re: Lump Over Eye [Re: ] #215892
02/10/07 11:56 AM
02/10/07 11:56 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Connor,
Glad to hear the surgery went well and that she's doing okay so far this morning thumb What a relief for you!!!
hug2 hug2 hug2

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024