Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Glider lost - lesson learned #2203
03/27/01 01:38 AM
03/27/01 01:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I lost a nine month old female by the name of Xena some time during the night last night. I'm not proud of my ignorance, but will hopefully help someone else by telling this story. This little girl has been living with her mate since I got them at 8 weeks OOP. I have always put two like dishes in the cage of whatever was on the menu. Struggling with getting them to eat BML, I decided I needed to get bigger feeders, so I went to crocks. They were big enough for everything, which in my mind would make them eat the BML to get to the stuff they wanted. First mistake, I never gave a thought to the fact that I went from separate bowls to one bigger one. Two pairs of gliders, one pair per cage and everyone seemed to be happy with the exception of the occasional argumentfrom the youngest two. Second mistake, inventory at work kept me working longer hours for almost a week, so was too tired to spend as much time as I normally would with them. Did I notice that one little girl was losing weight? NO. Did I notice that they were fighting more? NO. Some time between 12:30 and 6 this little girl died. Not only did she die trying to eat, but her mate ripped a hole right through her thigh trying to keep her from the food. both bones could be clearly seen from either side of her leg. Am I hurting? You better believe it. Oh I learned the lesson well, but what about that poor little girl that depended on me to take care of her and provide for her. I can only say that her soul is in a better place. Xena's death was caused by my ignorance, because I took her food supply away and her mate wasn't willing to share. <P>Bourbon, you have been there for me on numerous occasions and I want to thank you. In fact, if it wasn't for you today jogging my mind about all the possibilities, I would never have figured out what I had done. Kudos to you. You are the best.<P>------------------<BR>The only real mistake is the one that we didn't learn from...

Re: Glider lost - lesson learned [Re: ] #2204
03/27/01 05:00 AM
03/27/01 05:00 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am just so sorry for your loss and the guilt that must be plaguing you. Thank you so much for sharing.<P>------------------<BR>Go for the good of the glider

Re: Glider lost - lesson learned [Re: ] #2205
03/27/01 05:43 AM
03/27/01 05:43 AM
Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
M, please do not beat yourself up over this, up to this point as we had discussed, as with many other new owners out there, the signs were there, you just didn't know what to look for. They never had the opportunity before to show you really what was going on. <P>Let me clarify some things here. She had seen then go from bowl to bowl, she assumed that they were just using the multiple bowls, looking back now, she realizes that he was actually running her off of the food. She had noticed that he was maintaining his feedings, but also noticed she didn't seem to be eating much of it at all. All this time, she was able to feed her the BML off of her fingers, but she wouldn't eat it from the bowl. The squabbles, where sometimes most gliders do do it, to establish their dominance, in this case was much more.<P>This is not the first time something like this has happened, it has happened many times in the past. Ellen for one, was able to catch her Luna before it was too late, many others have not been as fortunate. There are many people out there that don't think that this happens, or that it will not happen to them. I had someone tell me that they really didn't think that opposite sexes would do this.<P>Let me tell you they will, to them it is not a sign of being mean. For some reason they don't feel they will get enough to eat, whether it is because their food was limited before or whether they just want to be an onnly glider. But they will go to the extremes of death if they feel it is necessary. <P>Please don't let the deaths and near deaths of some of the gliders be in vain. Learn from them, watch them carefully, it only takes such a short time. One night without water could mean death to a glider. Be aware of their eating habits. If you see ony one at the food bowl on a regular basis, supply a second feeding and watering station. In this case, it may have made a difference, but then again it may not have. What we do know is what he will do if given another chance, so I think he may live out his life as a lone glider, as to not jeopardize another.<P>I myself have 2 very dominant gliders as cage mates, however due to their histories of not being able to be put with others, they are supplied with dual feeding stations. May I have to separate them? I don't know, but it is something I do have to watch very closely, just in case.<P>M, I feel so very bad for you, my heart and prayers are with you and your remaining gliders. I do believe in my heart, you had no idea that this could have or would have happened to you. It took a lot to post what had happened, if this story will save just one glider, then it is worth posting.<BR>Again I am sorry....

Re: Glider lost - lesson learned [Re: ] #2206
03/27/01 06:03 AM
03/27/01 06:03 AM
Lincolnton, NC
SugarLove Offline
Glider Addict
SugarLove  Offline
Glider Addict

Lincolnton, NC
I'm going to move this to the real stories section of the board.<BR>I also am very sorry for your loss. <BR>as painful as it is, thank you for sharing it with the board. I may help prevent this from happening with another glider.<BR>I also have a very dominant male who in the past has tried to bully his mate when it comes to food. It is a situation I have to keep a very close eye on.<BR>again, thank you for sharing...sorry for your loss. []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/sad.gif[/]

Re: Glider lost - lesson learned [Re: ] #2207
03/27/01 10:58 AM
03/27/01 10:58 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am so sorry for your loss! That is one of the saddest stories I've heard, but I thank you for sharing it. Up until Sunday, I had only one girl so this was not an issue for me. But I adopted two little girls who are cagemates and now I know to watch their feeding behavior. I wouldn't have really worried otherwise, but you really showed me how careful and observant I need to be.<P>My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Re: Glider lost - lesson learned [Re: ] #2208
03/27/01 07:45 PM
03/27/01 07:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OMG. That is so sad. I am so sorry.

Re: Glider lost - lesson learned [Re: ] #2209
03/27/01 08:36 PM
03/27/01 08:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Gliderluv,<BR>I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers are with you and your gliders.<BR>Mom of 1

Re: Glider lost - lesson learned [Re: ] #2210
03/28/01 12:23 AM
03/28/01 12:23 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Gliderluv-I know what a loving, careful human being you are. I know how thoughtful you were with Queenie when you volunteered to take care of her and drive her to meet the next Railroad volunteer. We've shared ideas and feelings on e-mail. Do not, in your grief, hold yourself to a standard that is impossible to meet. And please allow yourself to be comforted by the support offered here. alice <P>------------------<BR>Breathe deep. Talk slow. Walk soft. Let go. Give big. Take less. Don't count-just guess. Act fair. Think long. Laugh loud. Sing strong. Plan bold. Dream far. Feel loved. You are.

Re: Glider lost - lesson learned [Re: ] #2211
03/28/01 01:24 AM
03/28/01 01:24 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you guys for the kind words. I look at Hercules now, running around lost and can only imagine the extent of the damage done to him. Yeah, he killed his mate, but it wasn't his fault. I have thought about this a lot, and can see that my focus was misguided. I was so concerned that none of the gliders were eating what I considered enough of the BML to keep them healthy, that I lost sight of the bigger picture. It is a very bitter pill to swallow. <P>Robin, the knowledge is here for the taking, which is why I posted what happened. If what happened to me sticks in your mind so that you don't make the same mistake, then it was worth writing.<P><P>------------------<BR>The only real mistake is the one that we didn't learn from...

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 395 guests, and 108 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,596 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,175 OKLAHOMA
432,180 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024