Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
There is only one leadbeater nectar #221913
02/21/07 08:17 AM
02/21/07 08:17 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm sick of people saying their leadbeater mix was fed to their gliders and they got sick etc. their is only one Leadbeater mix that was designed for the Australian Leadbeater Possum in captivity in the early 1960's. It can not be perfectly duplicated in the US or the UK as the ingredience is not available.

Please do not confuse this nectar with other diets. BML and PML are not the same thing at all infact they shouldn't even be called modified because they are not similar ecept for the eggs. The nectar is only a small part of the diet and is not ment to be fed on it's own.

Firstly Australian honey is not as sweet as American honey and cannot be used as a substitute. The nectar has High protein baby cereal but the American cereal is a lot higher in protein. The Australian leadbeater nectar has calcivet a bird calcium suppliment and Soluvet a bird vitamin suppliment. These are not comparable to the reptile vitamins. The nectar also has water and eggs.

As you can see they are very different to the other nectars and Leadbeaters is the one and only and should not be compared. When people say they use leadbeter mix, unless you live in Australia or have ordered all the ingredience on the internet please do not call it leadbeater cause it's not.

Re: There is only one leadbeater nectar [Re: ] #221934
02/21/07 09:48 AM
02/21/07 09:48 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I personally refer to Leadbeaters and the mods as Leadbeater (original mix) or Leadbeater mod. I've never tried the original mix as featured in the Healsville Sanctuary diet, I've tried a UK modification and a couple of US ones. I don't use any of them now ...

Re: There is only one leadbeater nectar [Re: ] #221935
02/21/07 09:53 AM
02/21/07 09:53 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Jett, I really do not see why you are getting so upset over the name leadbeaters.

As for the BML, it was created to get as close to the australian leadbeaters as possible. A LOT of people worked on this to get it to where it is today. Here in the US the high protein baby cereal is banned, and yes, our stuff is different than the stuff they use in Australia, however, there are indeed items that can be purchased online and shipped from Australia to the states.

Quote:
BML and PML are not the same thing at all infact they shouldn't even be called modified because they are not similar ecept for the eggs.

As for the PML, the high protein wombaroo comes straight FROM Australia and Pockets has been in contact, and I am sure she still is, with MANY folks IN AUSTRALIA on how to make this. The HPW powder is used by many people there that take care of gliders. It was originated and comes from Australia and we have to wait months for the product to be shipped over here. Also with the PML there are NO added calcium and vitamins other than what has already been put in the Powder. So I really am confused as how you can say we can not call it something when it originates from there in the first place.

Although we do not have the same fauna or other items that are readily available to you does not mean we are not trying to feed our gliders the best and closest thing we can get to, if they were actually in Australia.

There are many differences in many things. Our gliders are smaller than yours there. Yes, our foods are a bit different, however, the name leadbeaters is just a name and it is referenced to an animal, not so much a title for a food.

To me, its kind of like you getting dog food and us saying dont call that dog chow because you dont have purina down there and you cant make dog chow the way we do because our ingredients are a little different. I hope you understand what I am trying to say. worried

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Loveďż˝ Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: There is only one leadbeater nectar [Re: Srlb] #221947
02/21/07 10:27 AM
02/21/07 10:27 AM
Mobile,Alabama
jannee66 Offline
Glider Addict
jannee66  Offline
Glider Addict

Mobile,Alabama
You explained that perfectly Peggy,I'm sure Jett can digest what you just said, being you broke it down to sugarglider bite size pieces!.....hahahahah

wave Jannie

I heart my Sweet Spellbinding Sugar :glider:s

Glider Kisses
Pouches and Cage Sets

Re: There is only one leadbeater nectar [Re: Srlb] #221951
02/21/07 10:42 AM
02/21/07 10:42 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm not getting upset but believe you are misleading people by saying they are using Leabeaters when they are using a nectar mix. They are very different things.

I know some Weight Watchers lecturers who are on another well known diet trying to loose a few pounds, yet they are lecturing at Weight Watchers. Isn't this misleading people because the diet they are on is not the same.

It's the same thing with these nectar mixes. Call them what they are and don't deceive people.

I'm not discrediting these diets nor dismissing the history of them. As for the Wombaroo High Protein mix it is very different in vitamin content than the High proetein baby cereal and deffinatly not the same thing. PML also doesn't have the same vitamins as the leadbeater mix now used at The sanctuary. The Wombaroo mix is a highly recommended mix and I'm not discrediting it. It's just not the same thing.

Quote:
To me, its kind of like you getting dog food and us saying dont call that dog chow because you dont have purina down there and you cant make dog chow the way we do because our ingredients are a little different.

Nectar is Nectar like Dog Food is Dog Food But Advance dog chow is not Purina.

Re: There is only one leadbeater nectar [Re: ] #221960
02/21/07 11:07 AM
02/21/07 11:07 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I too am a bit confused about the fuss here.

I don't think anyone thinks that BML is leadbeaters, and the whole point of the diet is that it is modified for gliders with US ingredients.

In any case, it has been called that for years, and to raise a fuss now will just cause more confusion...

Re: There is only one leadbeater nectar [Re: ] #221992
02/21/07 12:07 PM
02/21/07 12:07 PM
Williamsburg, VA & Whg, WV
P
Paula0442 Offline
Glider Addict
Paula0442  Offline
Glider Addict
P

Williamsburg, VA & Whg, WV
I don't care what it's called for goodness sake. What is the big deal and why was this post started to begin with. Would you just feel better with a name change? What would your suggestion be?
We people that feed BML don't really care what it's called. We just want what's best for our gliders. There are alot of other great diets out there too.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
WOOOO HOOOO, WHAT A RIDE!!!

Re: There is only one leadbeater nectar [Re: Paula0442] #221999
02/21/07 12:20 PM
02/21/07 12:20 PM
Ohio
S
SpikenPea Offline
Glider Explorer
SpikenPea  Offline
Glider Explorer
S

Ohio
Why all of the confusion. We are just trying to take a proven diet and with the ingredients that we can get in the U.S. to make a diet that is if not the same as close as you can get to the original so that our kids can be healthy. Trust me if I had the money and resources I would fly in all of the natural fauna and bugs and such from Australia so ours could eat what their cousins in the wild eat. Although we feed ours the BML I would much rather have the diet as close to what they would find in the wild. However, there are a couple of big ponds and climate differences that prevent that from happening. So why the hoohah over a name?????????? Especially, since the BML works great for a lot of glider owners.

Zookeeper of
our special kids Scooter, Snoopy, Digger, and Rascal
3 Dogs - Trixie and Lilly
3 Cats - Munchkin, Gizmo and Squeaker
1 Naked Mole Rat aka Chihuahua - KiKi
2 Brats (Kids)
and 1 Boss or so She Thinks.LOL (The wife)
Re: There is only one leadbeater nectar [Re: SpikenPea] #222333
02/21/07 08:49 PM
02/21/07 08:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

WOW... does it work? HMMMM... Yup, so, leave it alone!!!

Re: There is only one leadbeater nectar [Re: ] #222594
02/22/07 03:36 AM
02/22/07 03:36 AM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
I certainly don't like getting in the middle of any debates (heated or otherwise). And I actually am kind of a stickler for precision in language (it's just less confusing all around). I have to admit that I get confused when some folks say they feed "leadbeaters." Do they mean a modified version, like BML or PML, or the original overseas mix? They are different, and it really does make a difference if offering advice.

But beyond that, they're all good diets! A rose by any other name... smile

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: There is only one leadbeater nectar [Re: KattyM] #222611
02/22/07 05:40 AM
02/22/07 05:40 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I feel the same about language KattyM. People will often say they feed Leadbeaters but don't elaborate as to which one, alot of the time they don't know, it's just Leadbeaters.

Re: There is only one leadbeater nectar [Re: ] #222621
02/22/07 07:33 AM
02/22/07 07:33 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
I DO use Leadbeater's. I get the ingredients from Australia and I DO have 3 very large gliders compared to most. (compared to all of my others here too)

I'm not the only one, many people here do also. smile

Peggy, I need to send you pics sometime! smile

Leadbeaters is a type of nectar mix to us, I personally don't care what it's called as long as the gliders eat it and are healthy from it.

Modified means just that. Modified. No one is saying it's the same thing. That's why we say it is modified.

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: There is only one leadbeater nectar [Re: SugarBlossoms] #222639
02/22/07 09:05 AM
02/22/07 09:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe you should post some pics on here so that we can all see the difference.

Is it just the Leadbeaters mix you use or the actual Taronga or healesville diet?

Re: There is only one leadbeater nectar [Re: SugarBlossoms] #222707
02/22/07 12:20 PM
02/22/07 12:20 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
off_topic Sugarblossom, you know Im a waiting for those pictures!! wink

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Loveďż˝ Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: There is only one leadbeater nectar [Re: Srlb] #223801
02/24/07 10:29 AM
02/24/07 10:29 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I can see where he's comming from. He wants people to know the difference, especially people who are new so they can tell the difference between the diets. If i saw leadbeaters, and then leadbeaters BML, I would be confused wondering if they were the same or not if i was new to sugar gliders and their diets. I agree that it doesn't matter as long as their healthy, but then again there should be a big noticable difference so there is no confusion. Like just BML, PML, and Leadbeaters. all different names. I can tell the difference, i don't need to see a "Leadbeaters modified version" because personally, that would confuse me.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024