Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why do my guys stink?!? #241749
03/23/07 09:12 AM
03/23/07 09:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We've had two male suggies for about a little more than month. They've adjusted well, bonded well, and we really haven't had any problems other than the STINK! We bought them from a breeder who claims they were neutered. I haven't seen any hair loss on their heads, so I'm assuming she was telling the truth. Is there any way to tell?

They're eating a diet of Happy Glider food, supplemented with some fruits/proteins, which the breeder rec'd. I didn't want to change the diet while they were transitioning to their new environment. Would a different diet help with the smell?

Their cage is powder-coated and easy to clean, so I end up wiping it down every other day. I haven't put in any litter in because it makes them smell so awful, so I just dump the pan every day. I understand that we don't want to over-clean them, but I absolutely refuse to live in some place that smells filthy. I'm not talking just a little odor, this is stinky.

The strange part is that there was no noticable odor for the first week or two. It has only been in the past two that they've really gotten bad. Other than that, I've noticed no health problems or anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Julie

Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: ] #241752
03/23/07 09:17 AM
03/23/07 09:17 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Duh cuz they are guys. Um well i am not that exp'ed but i will make a eductaed guess ( oh that is funny) that it might be their diet. but you will get someone with more exp here soon.

Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: ] #241755
03/23/07 09:22 AM
03/23/07 09:22 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
I'm willing to bet it's the diet (the pellets). diet can give a glider a VERY offensive odor. I've noticed that either BML, Suncoast, or Darcy's will produce a glider that has almost no odor, as long as the cages,pouches, toys are cleaned regularly. Plus hard pellets aren't good for gliders at all. If you want the ease of a pellet, go with Zookeepers Secret (Suncoast Sugar Gliders) or Insectivore Fare (Exotic Nutrition). Both are soft (actually identical) and won't cause the risk of mouth infections.

Give that a try and see what happens. Just remember to give them time to get the odor out of their system...usually 3 weeks or so.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: ] #241757
03/23/07 09:25 AM
03/23/07 09:25 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm no expert but I have a male and so does my friend. Mine stinks and hers doesn't. I took mine to the vet and he has tummy troubles. He's on meds now. So I'm hoping thats the case!

Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: ] #241884
03/23/07 11:30 AM
03/23/07 11:30 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The males are notroious for smell but there not bad if there on diet of (mentioned above) , Pellets have always had a issue because it causes the digestive system to work harder. thus causeing the smell. Like when we work hard we sweat and stink , Same applys.

Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: ] #241889
03/23/07 11:35 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have 3 neutered males and my cage has always had a musty smell. i just the other night realized (he peed on me and the smell was SOOO strong) that it was coming from this ONE glider, (CHUNK) who has been having some health problems (nothing to do with digestive stuff though) to begin with. They are all on the same diet, so i'm sure its not that. So another vet appointment for my poor big guy.

Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: ] #241890

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So aside from the diet my two males will smell??

Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: ] #241927
03/23/07 12:14 PM
03/23/07 12:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i is possible that there will be a smell, it shouldnt be that strong though. I would suggest a vet check to check for some kind of bacteria living in their digestive system. It's not supposed to smell that bad. Just a little.

What is the smell like? Is it musty urine smell, or more rotten. Because i found that my suggies were actually stashing pieces of fruit that, by the end of the day, would make the cage smell a little. Now i do a complete cage check for stashed foods every morning and remove last nights BML, fruits, and Veggies. It has helped alot!

Also, if everything is fine and the vet says your guys are healthy, you can buy the kitty litter backing soda that is scented. I put it in a little mesh bag so it can absorb some smell and it has a slight perfumey smell cover any smells. it works pretty good. when i got my boys they werent on a good diet and smelled terribly!

Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: ] #241941
03/23/07 12:30 PM
03/23/07 12:30 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Quote:
Also, if everything is fine and the vet says your guys are healthy, you can buy the kitty litter backing soda that is scented. I put it in a little mesh bag so it can absorb some smell and it has a slight perfumey smell cover any smells. it works pretty good. when i got my boys they werent on a good diet and smelled terribly!

Please do not use kitty litter of any kind in their drop tray or anywhere they might get into it. The dust and chemicals can cause severe medical problems. If I read that right though, LindsayAnnG is suggesting to put some in a mesh bag and hang it BY the cage, not IN the cage. (atleast I hope that is what she meant).

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: Dancing] #241951
03/23/07 12:42 PM
03/23/07 12:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

something I have done recently that seems to help out a bit, is sprinkle baking soda in the tray, then make a fleece cover for the tray, and stretch that over top of the tray with the baking soda in it. Also PureAyre helps.... but I would look into a different diet for a real difference

Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: Dancing] #241954
03/23/07 12:46 PM
03/23/07 12:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are you maybe over cleaning their cage? I clean my guy's cage once every week or week and a half...if you're over cleaning they may be scenting all over the place to make it smell like them again. I've had my guy for 2 weeks, and he isn't too stinky (yet!) unless you get right up to the cage smile

Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: ] #241962
03/23/07 12:59 PM
03/23/07 12:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't have boys, but when I first bought my girls home they smelt horrible. They were on a really bad diet parrot and hamster food and since there started to eat BML and friuts and veggies they smell ALOT better.

Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: ] #241968
03/23/07 01:06 PM
03/23/07 01:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When I got Tony he was STAAAAANKY. After ONE night in a clean fresh pouch I could literally smell his and Carm's pouches apart from FEET away!! By the next night, in a new clean pouch, it was already significantly less. I KNOW he was on a horrid diet (if it can be classified as a diet) at his previous owners and I give BML. I think that has a LOT to do with it - he got progressively better. Also, I recommend puppy pads instead of litter. They are something like 17 for $5 at walmart. Any fecal anything that gets on the pad gets absorbed and I'm not kidding helps with smell SO much esp b/c in the morning I go in and if there's big chunks of food I can easily remove them sitting on a pad vs diggin through any kind of "litter". Eew!

So, in conclusion lol, I agree. Better diet time!! smile
Keep us posted...

Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: ] #241971
03/23/07 01:08 PM
03/23/07 01:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have a male that doesn't smell and he isn't neutered. We feed him mostly apples and Zookeepers Secret that we get from Suncoast.

We use a puppy pad in the bottom of the cage. It is the perfect size to fit the tray and probably helps neutralize the odor. You have to be careful to make sure it lies all the way flat when you put it in, or the glider will pull it up and chew on it--which can't be healthy. It's a zip to clean.

Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: ] #241998
03/23/07 01:39 PM
03/23/07 01:39 PM
Long Island, NY
Gossamer Offline
Glider Slave
Gossamer  Offline
Glider Slave

Long Island, NY
My guy is neutered too and he also has a smell. He is just a scent marking fool. Plus, he loves to pee on his wheel. I just wipe down the cage daily - especially the wheel. I try not to wash his toys too frequently or he'll just go scent marking crazy again. I change the pouch once a week, but I'll usually leave his stinky blanket in the new pouch for a day or to before I switch so he won't go scent marking crazy on the pouch again.

Jeannine

3 Cats (Spike, Kismet, Honeycat)
1 understanding Husband
1 WFB Neutered Glider boy - Grissom! (oop 8/7/06) :wfb:
1 BB Glider girl- Willows! (oop 1/7/07) :bb:
Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: Dancing] #242172
03/23/07 04:24 PM
03/23/07 04:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Dancing

Please do not use kitty litter of any kind in their drop tray or anywhere they might get into it. The dust and chemicals can cause severe medical problems. If I read that right though, LindsayAnnG is suggesting to put some in a mesh bag and hang it BY the cage, not IN the cage. (atleast I hope that is what she meant).

I actually wasn't talking about realy kitty litter (please DONT put that in the cage) I was talking about something that is a kitty litter additive. Its a Backing Soda product made by Arm and Hammer. its basically just scented backing soda that you put IN with the litter. But its in the kitty litter section. and i guess i should have specified, even though its not kitty litter, dont put it in the cage,.... hang it in the bag OUTSIDE the cage.. I keep mine under the cage, since that's where the smell usually seems to come from.

Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: ] #243997
03/26/07 10:17 AM
03/26/07 10:17 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My new girl smells really bad, but my two boys just smell like sugar gliders tounge I have put them on the suncoast diet and hope that will help.

Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: ] #244005
03/26/07 10:38 AM
03/26/07 10:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I made a post about a month ago about my very stinky boy I had just brought home. Im telling you this boy smelled ROTTEN!!! I had changed his diet, cleaned out all the cloth is his cage and rewashed and rewashed it, had puppy pads in the bottom of his cage but he still stunk, then I discovered that even though I was washing his pouch it still had a VERY bad odor to it. He was peeing in his pouch and it was awful. I was going crazy not knowing what to do. I used some of my husbands deer hunting laundry soap (its the kind that gets scents out of clothing) washed everything he owns with that, then washed it again in our soap, put it in his cage and although I have to wash his pouches and anything cloth about every 4 days, he seems to have settled down marking things. Now once a week I wash both the gliders things with that and then rewash them in our soap. I know it sounds crazy but since all of their smell is gone and everything smells like us I really believe that it has made a huge improvement in getting him to come around to liking us.

Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: ] #248987
03/31/07 11:40 AM
03/31/07 11:40 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you SO much for the responses. My son had a medical emergency and I couldn't get back to the boards until now, but I'm going to order new food and try some puppy pads today! Thanks again! Julie

Re: Why do my guys stink?!? [Re: ] #249579
04/01/07 12:16 AM
04/01/07 12:16 AM
Columbia SC
BKaylor74 Offline
Glider Explorer
BKaylor74  Offline
Glider Explorer

Columbia SC
Tho it seems this issue has been mostly resolved, I just wanted to point out that male gliders do have a tendency to mark heavily when they smell another male glider nearby. I have 4 adult males, 3 of which are paired with a female. Just earlier today we were taking turns playing with each of the boys. Normally none of them smell bad at all, beyond the typical glider smell they have, which is a mild musky scent that I personally don't find offensive at all. The boys and the girls all have it. It just smells natural. Kind of outdoorsy. Anyway, 2 of my boys, after smelling another boy on us, started skunking heavily, each rubbing their chest all over our shoulders and arms where they smelled the previous boy. My god, it smelled like somebody hit a skunk. But once they calmed down and were back in the cages, the smell was gone in five minutes or so.

I've also noticed that they mark a lot more when their pouches and cage accessories are freshly washed. The more you wash them, the more your boys will mark. It's not usually that skunky smell, but it has been at times. So I've come to the conclusion that excessive washing will just make the smell worse. Not because they aren't use to us - we've had two of our boys nearly a year - but because they just want their stuff to smell like them. It's a territory thing, and each of my gliders know that WE belong to THEM. hehe. I think some people are just overly sensitive to smells.

~B

~Bryan
----------------

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024