Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Very Sad Discovery #2512
10/16/01 06:32 PM
10/16/01 06:32 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hi everyone. remember a couple weeks ago when I posted about a local reptile shop in Denver that I thought was taking improper care fo the little gliders they were selling?It's worse than I thought. <P>My husband and I were out and about today running errands, and happened to drop by a bookstore in the same mini-mall chain. While he went into the bookstore, I went into the reptile shop to browse. (Did I happen to let you all know that I also used to own snakes and intend to again?? Especially a pretty little Albino Burmese Python...) <P>Anyways...<P>After a few minutes of looking at the various little scaley critters, laughing at the little Uromastics (which look like someone stepped on them) and Frilled Lizzards, wondering who in their right mind would want an Anaconda (which, by the way, can get up to like 35 feet long and weigh up to 500 lbs), and other things, my husband came in behind me, as I was looking at the pretty 12 foot Burmese Python. He started browsing a bit as well, and looked in on the little []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/] in the cage behind me. He appeared to be sleeping. On <B><I>top</B></I> of his pouch which was <B>lying on the cage's floor.</B> He also had a little piece of paper attached to his cage, signifying that someone had put a deposit on him and was coming to get him (by the date on the paper, tomorrow) later. <P>I made a couple hisses and clicks at him to see if he'd respond. No dice. I tapped ently on the metal bars of the cage. Still nothing. Knowing the guys who work there kinda well (I'm in the store like 2x a week) and thus knowing I wouldn't get into trouble, I reached into the cage. I touched his little head and he didn't move. I picked him up and he was dead. Stiff and cold. I was very saddened by this, and took the little guy over to the shop guys. One was really upset and had to leave the room, the other one seemed kinda mad the little guy had died.<P>At this point, I launched into a "I told you so" speech. I told them again how there were better diets, needed love, ect... I even offered to take the recipe for BML down to them. I even said if they'd pay me for my ingredients that I'd even <I>make</I> the BML for them. The guys agreed, and I am on my way back down to the shop with the recipe.<P>The person I feel sorriest for is whomever was about to buy that poor little guy. They coud've taken him home never knowing he was sick and he could have died with them.<P>Anyways, please be careful about buying from petshops!!!!!!!!!!!!!<P>Love and sad glider kisses,<P>Rhiannon<BR>Glucose []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/]<BR>Fructose []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/]<p>[This message has been edited by MiladyRed (edited 10-16-2001).]

Re: Very Sad Discovery [Re: ] #2513
10/16/01 08:52 PM
10/16/01 08:52 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

That's a very sad story. That's why I don't believe gliders should be in petshops. I feel very sorry of the person that was about to buy the glider. Also for the little glider that died. God rest his little soul.

Re: Very Sad Discovery [Re: ] #2514
10/18/01 09:13 PM
10/18/01 09:13 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

That's so sad! It was good of you to try to help out, but there's only so much you can do. <BR> I'm sure since you've owned snakes in the past that you know that Burms can get up to 28 feet long; I worked at a small zoo that took in unwanted pets & we had about 10 Burms that people got rid of because once they get to be about 16 feet long they are pretty difficult to house. Good luck to you in what ever you decide!

Re: Very Sad Discovery [Re: ] #2515
10/19/01 11:21 AM
10/19/01 11:21 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Oh yes, I know all about burms. But I also know that males don't tend o get much over 16', which is a selling point for my slightly snake-phobic (sorry, I'm not a dictionary) hubby. LOL<P>~Red

Re: Very Sad Discovery [Re: ] #2516
10/28/01 03:35 PM
10/28/01 03:35 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

aren't you afraid your snake will get out and get your gliders?<P>I had a green burmese and got rid of him after I woke up one morning and could not find him. I was scared to death he would eat one of my dogs, gliders or kids! I spent half the day looking for him because I didn't want to leave my little babies here unprotected. Imagine calling into work and telling them you can't come to work until you find your snake that got out! []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/]<BR>They weren't too happy with me.<P>anyway, to make a long story short, I decided that the snakes (had three) couldn't really return my love like the other babies in my house and it wasn't worth the risk of keeping them. As soon as I found Slither (the burmese) I took all three snakes to the pet store and sold them. I took them to a very good pet store where they are well taken care of. I just think they are too much of a risk to have around othter animals. <P>That's just my opinion though. <BR>and I know how much it counts []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif[/]<p>[This message has been edited by sugar&spice (edited 10-29-2001).]

Re: Very Sad Discovery [Re: ] #2517
10/31/01 08:03 PM
10/31/01 08:03 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

That reminds me of two pet stores in my area... One has about a 3x4 cage with like 15 gliders in it... they don't have any pouches, they all just share a tiny little box... no toys or anything to keep them entertained when they get up later that night and no one is in the store... They don't respond to voices or to tapping on the cage... they don't even crab or bite when i put my fingers in the cage... The other store had only one glider... again, this glider had no toys or even a pouch. It was sleeping IN ITS FOOD BOWL when i saw it... I almost cried for it because I know how miserable it must be to not have anything or anyone to play with... It was in a tiny cage, but the store had a bigger, better cage on display to sell with it and it had a wodent wheel... I wondered why these people couldn't let it run around in that... But I definitely agree gliders shouldn't be sold in pet stores. The owners I have seen clearly don't know how to properly take care of their gliders... and i am sorry for all the little gliders living in these conditions and i wish i could rescue all of them!!!!<P>-Kira <BR>owner of <BR>Roxy []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/]<BR>Tino []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/]

Re: Very Sad Discovery [Re: ] #2518
10/31/01 09:50 PM
10/31/01 09:50 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Theres a pet store right down the road from me here in Myrtle Beach... He hasnt had any gliders for sell since last spring... he had 2 then and they were in a small bird cage with newspaper as bedding and a little house...They wouldnt crab or anything either....One of the workers did play with them a good bit....I felt sorry for them cause they didnt have anything to play with either.... []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif[/]<BR> Now he only has gliders when someone orders one.... And whenthey do he feeds them Briskeys... []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif[/] Im going to take him a print out of Bourbons diet....<P>------------------<BR>Mommy to<BR>Holly*8 months oop<BR>Moe*7 months oop<BR>Atlanta*yr old peke who thinks shes a glider. smile

Re: Very Sad Discovery [Re: ] #2519
10/31/01 11:07 PM
10/31/01 11:07 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Kira, have you complained? I don't know who you would complain to -- local humane society, perhaps, or USDA, or even city councils? Or have you tried working with the pet stores to make the gliders' situations more humane? I hope you can rally people in your area to help. This is just so sad!

Re: Very Sad Discovery [Re: Anonymous] #2520
11/01/01 11:57 AM
11/01/01 11:57 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

awww []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif[/]( <BR>I hope they really listen to you now. That is So sad.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024