Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? #259363
04/12/07 09:36 AM
04/12/07 09:36 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Caroline MacPherson's Simplified diet? I like it because of all the fresh fruits and veggies and because it's pretty easy.

If you've tried this, please provide me some feedback. I am aware of the other proven diets, but just was wondering about this one.

http://www.angelfire.com/nb/sugarglider/caroline.html

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: ] #259392
04/12/07 10:04 AM
04/12/07 10:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

well, i know that caroline Mac pherson is well now around here but the only problem is with the cat food. It has to be a VERY high quality cat food to be healthy for the gliders which will eventaully end up costing alot in the long run. i know that science diet is insanely expensive and i dont even think that science diet is concidered high quality enough.. plus with all the pet food recalls, i would stick with some modified form on leadbeaters.

with BML (what i feed) they still can have fresh fruits and veggies (they are acutally required) and all the ingrediets can be found at the pet store or grocery store.. then all you do is blend it up and freeze. I know that PML is equally as easy but i dont really know too much about it.

I think inthe long run, even though that diet is good, it will be more difficult and more expensive in the long run

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: ] #259408
04/12/07 10:29 AM
04/12/07 10:29 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm with you on the pet food recall. Thanks!

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: ] #259522
04/12/07 12:50 PM
04/12/07 12:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah I agree with Lindsay too...

I'm wary about the whole citrus thing as well. Very high acidity. Not so pleasing to a Glider's digestive system.

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: ] #259536
04/12/07 01:00 PM
04/12/07 01:00 PM
Lenexa, KS
TracieB Offline
Glider Addict
TracieB  Offline
Glider Addict

Lenexa, KS
It also looks like there is a large amount of citrus fruit being offered.

Tracie
1 wonderful husband - Chris
1 goofy Yorkie - Dexter
2 naughty kitties - Chloe & Alek

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
1 spoiled Yorkie, Myles - April 5, 1993-June 5, 2007
1 sweet :wfb: Xavier - August 5, 2007-May 20, 2010
2 sweet :grey: :grey: Nara & Alkina - February, 2006-November, 2011

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: TracieB] #259625
04/12/07 02:02 PM
04/12/07 02:02 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
I am trying to bring up diet awareness up. If you will please go HERE and read this thread I am in hopes it will give you some information pertaining to diets.

I for one do not feel that the ash and magnesium in cat foods (no matter how good they are) are in the least bit beneficial to gliders. No, I have no proof of this, just my own personal opinion.

Granted there are diets out there that can be very *easy* to feed to gliders, but if in the long run it is not the healthy choice for their bodies, is it worth it?

Please read up on all the diets out there and put the health of the glider first before thinking of which one would be easiest. I know you will make the right choice, after all you are here asking about it first. That shows you are concerned and care about the welfare of your furball. For that I applaud you. clap

Last edited by sugarlope; 04/14/11 06:56 PM. Reason: fixed link

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: Srlb] #259919
04/12/07 07:02 PM
04/12/07 07:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have looked at cat food brands (including the felidae you mentioned, slrb) until I am blinded by ingredients. From ordinary to organic, from Whole Foods to Pet Club. So far, I have only found one cat food w/no iron, no measurable ash, no byproducts or byproduct meal, Ca:p of 1.8:1, no soybeans, no added salt. It is .1% magnesium but not because magnesium is added. It is a component of the food (not supplement) ingredients. That food is Dick Van Patten's ultra premium cat food.

I love the plush coats I see from wombaroo hps, but I don't like the added iron, magnesium, sugar, ground cereals, soy protein, phosphorus.

I don't think we have found the perfect diet ingredients and all of our diets are works in progress until new knowledge comes along.

I feed a diet similar to Caroline's. It is definitely not the least expensive and it's important to have very fresh produce (I feed organic) on hand at all times but I also feed parrots, so I use up the produce quickly.

Last edited by jungleflockmom; 04/13/07 11:21 AM.
Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: ] #259962
04/12/07 07:35 PM
04/12/07 07:35 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
A note on ash...it's added to cat food because naturally, cats are carnivores and other than maybe chewing on some grass for an upset tummy, they eat no vegetable matter. It's supposed to aid in digestion, but most vets currently agree that ash is WAY overdone, even for cats, in cat food. Not to mention what it will do to a digestive system that isn't strictly carnivorous, like a glider. And cat food is designed for a carnivore, not an omnivore.

Add to that, that unless it's soaked, hard pellets are NOT good for gliders (and I don't care who argues the point), ash and amounts of nutrients aside. Gliders are not designed for hard foods-they suck nutrients out of their food-works well with vegetable matter like flowers and leaves, saps, pollens, and bugs, all of which contain natural moisture and are in their evolved diet in the wild, fruits/veggies and such in our captive diets, leadbeaters, etc., but you can not suck anything out of a dry pellet. The result of chewing it enough to even try is scratches on the gums and damage to the mouth and teeth in a glider. They do not produce a large amount of saliva-ever see a glider drool?-in which to moisten the stuff in the mouth, because they did not evolve to eat that kind of food. I've had 3 with mouth infections, and one who came to me on a hard pellet (glider grub-looks and smells like repackaged dog food pellets-and so did the gliders...talk about a stink!) who is now in the process of repeated surgeries, massive infections and losing ALL of her teeth. Even if they weren't great genetically, those pellets certainly didn't help any, and mouth infections are not fun for the glider, the vet, or you. Just thought I'd add that in to the discussion.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: Xfilefan] #260282
04/13/07 02:51 AM
04/13/07 02:51 AM
Devon
eccles Offline
Out of Pouch
eccles  Offline
Out of Pouch

Devon
So gliders do not chew on bark and branches then which are um hard?

I feed high quality cat food as part of my diet but im in the uk so its slightly different i feed Iams +1, and i soak my biscuits in the natural juices from the fruits i give granted its still not super soft but a bit of roughage is good for them, seeing as they do not have to chew through the branches to get to the food/sap like they naturally would.

mind you saying that i do put acacia gum in drilled holes inside safe branches so they do have to chew and dig a bit in my house to get to it,

www.southwest-sugargliders.co.uk

For all your UK and EU sugar glider needs!
Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: eccles] #260283
04/13/07 02:56 AM
04/13/07 02:56 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
UM, actually, they don't eat the bark. They scrape it off, to make a wound that bleeds sap-but do not chew and swallow it or get any of their nutrition from it. So that would be...no.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: Xfilefan] #260293
04/13/07 04:15 AM
04/13/07 04:15 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hmmm, ok, I think we're confusing ash. Ash is not collected from a nearby fire place and added as a filler. Pet food is broken down into carbohydrate, moisture, protein, fibre and oil, what doesn't fit into those categories is labelled as ash, the ash content is the vitamins and minerals. Foods with a high percentage of ash MAY contain too many vits and mins to be deemed healthy for your animals. Just as a point of interest, Insectivore Fare (the well known Glider staple diet) has a higher percentage of ash than the cat food I use and certainly higher than the one jungleflockmom uses.

Magnesium is an important part of any diet, it aids with the absorption of calcium thus aids in bone and teeth formation, and is needed by all the muscles in the body to relax, so it's vitally important for such unimportant things like oooo, I don't know, heart beat! A lack of magnesium can cause kidney failure and heart problems.

The Caroline Macpherson diet has now been acknowledged by Bourbon (so long as it's fed as instructed), Caroline's example does contain a lot of citrus, but she does say to vary the fruits used, and that is JUST A GUIDELINE! She also says to use your imagination. It's not hard to pick 3 or 4 fruits with a positive ca:p ratio.

Gliders do gouge holes yes, but in studies conducted on wild suggies bark has been found in their feces, so obviously it passes through the mouth. Also the back teeth are designed for compaction, the front teeth do the bark scraping and gnawing, the back teeth are used to compress beetle bodies. If you ever watch a glider eating a cat biscuit they don't do it with their front teeth.

Last edited by moorie999; 04/13/07 04:22 AM.
Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: ] #260297
04/13/07 04:41 AM
04/13/07 04:41 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
To get more exact, ash is the amount of mineral deposit left over after the cat has processed the food. Even in cats, too high an "ash" content in the food can cause urinary problems. And many cat foods contain too many of them, even for cats, in addition to being designed for something with totally different dietary needs from a glider. It was thought those minerals aided in digestion, since you're feeding a carnivore grains and other things in the food even the cat's systems weren't designed for. Since I don't believe dry cat food is even healthy for cats, I certainly wouldn't think it healthy for a glider. But that's my thoughts and thoughts were asked for. You can disagree with it if you want, these are the reasons behind why I think as I do, plus having seen the infections hard foods can cause.

I do know bark has been found in the feces-it's indigestible mostly, and what they can't get out, goes through-but they don't go 'I think I'll have a meal of tree bark today'. A glider spits the harder parts of foods out, leaving little half moon shapes in the dish, for a reason-even with something as soft as babyfood meats. Beavers and porcupines do eat bark, though, and are designed for it, with the substances in the gut to break it down, and teeth designed to grind it.

Have you ever eaten Fruit Loops? Had it tear the roof of your mouth apart so it's sore for a few days? A similar thing happens to gliders with large (for their mouth size) pieces of hard dry food.

Interesting page on cat food, and what's in it:

http://www.howtodothings.com/pets-and-animals/a4664-how-to-choose-cat-food.html

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: Xfilefan] #260300
04/13/07 05:32 AM
04/13/07 05:32 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm sorry but maybe Iams in the UK is considered a good quality food but here in the US its about as good as Ole Roy. I have cats and theres no way my precious babies would be allowed to eat it. lol Let alone my suggies. I just won't feed cat food to any other animal even my dogs are not allowed to eat the cat food.
I feed Judies bml and feel out of all the diets I have tried to be the best one for my suggies. I have had rescues look better within a month after coming to me

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: Xfilefan] #260304
04/13/07 06:48 AM
04/13/07 06:48 AM
Long Island, NY
Gossamer Offline
Glider Slave
Gossamer  Offline
Glider Slave

Long Island, NY
I feed mine a few pieces of dick van patten's in with their zookeepers. The cat food is eaten first.

Jeannine

3 Cats (Spike, Kismet, Honeycat)
1 understanding Husband
1 WFB Neutered Glider boy - Grissom! (oop 8/7/06) :wfb:
1 BB Glider girl- Willows! (oop 1/7/07) :bb:
Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: Xfilefan] #260320
04/13/07 08:19 AM
04/13/07 08:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Xfilefan
To get more exact, ash is the amount of mineral deposit left over after the cat has processed the food.

No it's not, the food is incinerated for analysis, the ash is what's left over after the carbohydrate, moisture, protein and fibre have gone, ash is what's left - it's nothing to do with the cat's digetion.

Even in cats, too high an "ash" content in the food can cause urinary problems. And many cat foods contain too many of them, even for cats, in addition to being designed for something with totally different dietary needs from a glider.

They do have totally different needs, but basically gliders are insect omnivores, they STILL require protein, whether it's in the form of chicken baby food (which is a human product and humans have totally different needs too!) or in the form of cat food. The ash content is why it states A HIGH QUALITY CAT FOOD, not a cheap £2.50 bag of something yucky! And can I remind you AGAIN, Insectivore Fare which is commonly used and approved by many glider diets contains MORE ASH than either Iams or the Dick Van Patten food.

It was thought those minerals aided in digestion, since you're feeding a carnivore grains and other things in the food even the cat's systems weren't designed for. Since I don't believe dry cat food is even healthy for cats, I certainly wouldn't think it healthy for a glider.

Many cat foods including Iams does contain ingredients to prevent UTI's, I know of dog breeders who don't believe the BARF diet is good for dogs, so many people have different opinions on what is good and what isn't.

I do know bark has been found in the feces-it's indigestible mostly, and what they can't get out, goes through-but they don't go 'I think I'll have a meal of tree bark today'. A glider spits the harder parts of foods out, leaving little half moon shapes in the dish, for a reason-even with something as soft as babyfood meats. Beavers and porcupines do eat bark, though, and are designed for it, with the substances in the gut to break it down, and teeth designed to grind it.

No one is saying that bark is a part of the wild suggies diet, but the point is bark passes through the mouth, it has jagged edges (unlike catfood) without seeming to cause damage, it's the 'hard food causes lumpy jaw' myth rearing it's ugly lying head again.

Have you ever eaten Fruit Loops? Had it tear the roof of your mouth apart so it's sore for a few days? A similar thing happens to gliders with large (for their mouth size) pieces of hard dry food.

No ... we don't have fruit loops in the uk :P, my suggies have had cat food for over 5 years, I've not had a single issue with any of my suggies mouths - I curently have over 30 gliders (some rescues and 4 breeding pairs), they go for the cat biscuits first, if it hurt their mouths they wouldn't touch it - they're not daft.

Originally Posted By: shelleriddle
I'm sorry but maybe Iams in the UK is considered a good quality food but here in the US its about as good as Ole Roy. I have cats and theres no way my precious babies would be allowed to eat it. lol Let alone my suggies. I just won't feed cat food to any other animal even my dogs are not allowed to eat the cat food.
I feed Judies bml and feel out of all the diets I have tried to be the best one for my suggies. I have had rescues look better within a month after coming to me

The reason Iams is chosen is, well there's two reasons really, 1 because in the UK it's been used as a part of suggie diets for over 15 years and has produced stunning results. and 2, it's chosen because of it's LACK of ingredients, have you ever read the ingredients of something like Insectivore Fare? Sheesh, it's disgusting and there's NO WAY on this earth I'd fill my suggie up with the junk in that approved product.

Last edited by moorie999; 04/13/07 08:23 AM.
Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: ] #260322
04/13/07 08:30 AM
04/13/07 08:30 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
If you guys dont mind, I would love to see photos of your gliders and their full coats to see how healthy they are.

Quote:
The Caroline Macpherson diet has now been acknowledged by Bourbon (so long as it's fed as instructed),

Bourbon Knows how much I love her, but just because she has acknowledged something does NOT mean it has the stamp of approval for being safe and beneficial for our animals.

Studys HAVE to be done. NONE of us know the exact PROPER diet our gliders need to be on.

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: Srlb] #260336
04/13/07 09:01 AM
04/13/07 09:01 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Srlb
If you guys dont mind, I would love to see photos of your gliders and their full coats to see how healthy they are.

Quote:
The Caroline Macpherson diet has now been acknowledged by Bourbon (so long as it's fed as instructed),

Bourbon Knows how much I love her, but just because she has acknowledged something does NOT mean it has the stamp of approval for being safe and beneficial for our animals.

Studys HAVE to be done. NONE of us know the exact PROPER diet our gliders need to be on.

ssshhhh, don't tell everyone that lol! The reason I put that statement is because Bourbon is very highly thought of and up until she spoke to Caroline she was DEAD against the use of cat food, now she isn't - I can't find the whole quote of what she said on a different board but basically it was words to the effect that she's FOR the CAroline MacPherson, but as with all other diets it MUST be fed as stated.

I'd just like to say that because I feed cat food doesn't mean I'm uneducated and it doesn't mean I feed nothing but cat food. In fact cat food is A VERY SMALL part of the diet, I prepare FRESH food EVERY night - nothing frozen, and the diet is balanced.

As for photo's - I don't do camera's but I'll try and get some, and a pair of Eccles joey's are pictured in her avatar. We have nothing to hide smile

Last edited by moorie999; 04/13/07 09:02 AM.
Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: ] #260358
04/13/07 09:43 AM
04/13/07 09:43 AM
Long Island, NY
Gossamer Offline
Glider Slave
Gossamer  Offline
Glider Slave

Long Island, NY
moorie - I've been trying to PM you, but it doesn't seem to go through. I'd love if you could share your diet with me. grin

Jeannine

1 understanding Husband
Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: Srlb] #260426
04/13/07 11:09 AM
04/13/07 11:09 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Srlb

Yup, this is true, we can only work from and choose diets through experience, as I've already said, cat food has been used as a SMALL PART of suggie diets for over 15 years in the uk and it's served us well. I know of many glider owners that have tried other diets (myself included), I've tried 3 different Leadbeater mod's amongst others and I can honestly say my gliders have never looked better than they do now (now I have 100% settled on a diet), we always have large, healthy joey's, I've NEVER had to take any of my suggies to the vet (except rescues when they come in), the only deaths I've had are whilst on a Leadbeater mod, so I've learnt from my experience.

Gossamer, I'll try and pm you.

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: ] #260432
04/13/07 11:19 AM
04/13/07 11:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wasn't this post about Caroline MacPherson's Simplified diet?

Quote:
If you've tried this, please provide me some feedback. I am aware of the other proven diets, but just was wondering about this one.

I've never tried this diet, and I don't know of anyone (off hand) that uses it, so I'm not sure how much feedback you'll get on it. I do know that you defintely want to use a VERY high quality cat food, and, as others have mentioned, it's a very small part. I believe the Iams in the UK is better quality, and the one I hear about for use in the US (as I believe jungleflockmom mentioned) is the Dick Van Pattens. I've also heard of poor practices as far as Iams (in the US) goes, so many don't even feed it to their cats.

I also know the copyright on that page is a little dated, so it might be best to contact Caroline and address any of your concerns/thoughts/questions with her.

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: ] #260444
04/13/07 11:41 AM
04/13/07 11:41 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bourbon has Caroline's diet on her website.

I doubt that many feed this diet as specified because cat food has been like poison for so long on the boards.

I don't love dry cat food for cats - I think a raw diet is much better. Same for gliders - raw invertebrates, raw baby birds, raw baby vertebrates. I just can't raise baby things for food for my pet gliders.

As to gliders w/weak gums, perhaps the weak gums, abscesses, etc are not the result of the hardness of the food the gliders ate, but a result of the poor overall nutrition they experienced. Inflammation and poor nutrition cause gums to recede, teeth to lose calcium and weaken thereby loosening so that pockets open, food bits get into them and bacteria grows. This can happen w/soft food, too.

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: ] #260684
04/13/07 04:30 PM
04/13/07 04:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh my. I opened up a can of mealie worms smile

Thanks for all the feedback. It is appreciated!

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: ] #260745
04/13/07 05:38 PM
04/13/07 05:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Touchy subject! I'm actually very interested in using wombaroo high protien in my glider's diet.

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: ] #262941
04/16/07 12:43 PM
04/16/07 12:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For those that feed Dick Van Patten's ultra premium cat food, are you at all concerned about garlic being one of the ingredients? I have been led to believe that garlic is dangerous to gliders in even small amounts.

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: ] #263007
04/16/07 02:12 PM
04/16/07 02:12 PM
Long Island, NY
Gossamer Offline
Glider Slave
Gossamer  Offline
Glider Slave

Long Island, NY
Here is the ingredient list - I don't see garlic in it:
INGREDIENT LISTING
Chicken Meal, Chicken, Brown Rice, Duck Meal, Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Potatoes, Carrots, Lamb Meal, Fish Meal, Canola Oil, Natural Flavor, Dried Egg, Brewers Yeast, Lecithin, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Inulin, Taurine, Spinach, Parsley Flakes, Cranberry, Lysine, L-Carnitine, Yucca, Kelp, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B).

Jeannine

1 understanding Husband
Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: Gossamer] #263035
04/16/07 02:47 PM
04/16/07 02:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hmmmm...I am looking at the ingredient list I found HERE It clearly states garlic. Are you taking the ingredients right off of your bag or do you have an ingredient list from another site? If from another site, I wonder which one is correct?

This is from the one that I found:

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Duck, Lamb Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, Vitamin E) Canola Oil, Oatmeal, Fish Meal, Brewers Yeast, Rosemary Extract, Dried Skim Milk, Natural Flavor, Dried Eggs, Carrots, Flaxseed Oil, Kelp, Garlic, DL Methionine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Cranberry Powder, Grapeseed Oil, Lecithin, Parsley Flakes, Tomato Pomace, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin C Supplement, Yucca Schidigera, Folic Acid, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (a source of Vitamin K activity), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ethylene Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Protein (minimum) 34
Fat (minimum) 18
Moisture (maximum) 10
Ash (maximum) 6.5
Fiber (maximum) 3
Omega-6 Fatty Acids (minimum) 3
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (minimum) 0.5
Taurine (minimum) 0.16
Magnesium (maximum) 0.1

They are very different.

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: ] #263059
04/16/07 03:15 PM
04/16/07 03:15 PM
Long Island, NY
Gossamer Offline
Glider Slave
Gossamer  Offline
Glider Slave

Long Island, NY
Very strange. I got mine from the Natural Balance website - which seems to be having a recall if anyone cares..ugh. Anyway, when I go home, I'll look on the bag I have.

Jeannine

1 understanding Husband
Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: Gossamer] #263074
04/16/07 03:34 PM
04/16/07 03:34 PM
Lecanto Florida
1daddyglider1 Offline
Glider Guardian
1daddyglider1  Offline
Glider Guardian

Lecanto Florida
i have a question and hope gossamar or gizmo gal could answer on the ingredients. what is the "inulin", is this a type of tranquilizer, i saw that in a baby formula i want to use it but not sure what inulin is. can anybody please answer that for me. it is in a people food also.
thanks art
p.s. sorry it's a little off topic.

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: 1daddyglider1] #263140
04/16/07 04:26 PM
04/16/07 04:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, Art, I looked it up and this is what I found:

Inulins are a group of naturally occurring oligosaccharides (several simple sugars linked together) produced by many types of plants. They belong to a class of carbohydrates known as fructans. Inulin is used by some plants as a means of storing energy and is typically found in roots or rhizomes. Most plants which synthesize and store inulin do not store other materials such as starch.

Inulin is used increasingly in foods, because it has unusual nutritional characteristics. It ranges from completely bland to subtly sweet and can be used to replace sugar, fat, and flour. This is particularly advantageous because inulin contains one-third to one-fourth the food energy of sugar or other carbohydrates and one-sixth to one-ninth the food energy of fat. It also increases calcium absorption[1] and possibly magnesium absorption[2], while promoting intestinal bacteria. Nutritionally, it is considered a form of soluble fiber, and it is important to note that consuming large quantities (particularly for sensitive and/or unaccustomed individuals) can lead to gas and bloating. Inulin has a minimal impact on blood sugar, making it generally considered suitable for diabetics and potentially helpful in managing blood sugar-related illnesses.

Re: Caroline MacPherson's Simplified Diet - thoughts? [Re: Gossamer] #263371
04/16/07 09:30 PM
04/16/07 09:30 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
Very strange. I got mine from the Natural Balance website - which seems to be having a recall if anyone cares..ugh. Anyway, when I go home, I'll look on the bag I have.

Natural Balance has recalled their venison and rice dry dog food only. Seems to be too much protein in it for dogs.

Now this makes me say to you that use cat food...even though this is a dog food, if these kinds of foods have too much proteins for dogs to digest, dont you think there is too much protein in the cat food, especially since cat food is usually HIGHER than dog foods?

Peggy
Critter Love

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 323 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,572 TEXAS
679,075 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,160 UTAH
321,683 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024