Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray #273859
04/29/07 01:58 PM
04/29/07 01:58 PM
Kansas
queenduck Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
OK, I keep meaning to post this... and then one thing after another comes up. Mods, not sure where to put this because although I mean it for gliders, it is used for many other animals and I'd like all to see it so move my post where you think it goes.

Short story(lol, I just saw how long this short story is smile sorry). While trying to catch a male glider that popped out of a sleeping pouch when I was trying to peek at his babies, I moved several cages to keep him from getting to the other males in the room, both for his safety and theirs. After a long hunt and chase, I finally caught him. He was determined to be a free roaming glider and do what he wanted to do smile All was safe, it was in the middle of the night, and I happily went to bed.

Next night, I hear trouble while I am in the other room sewing. Turn on the light in the glider room and everyone looks at me like "what they heck do you want" I do a head count and everyone appears safe and sound. Go back to sewing, hear it again, repeat this over and over again, and I still couldn't find out what the problem was. The last time I even turned the lights off and sat in the room, no trouble, no noise. I finally give up and go back to sewing. I hear the noise again, and did not get up and check it out. I figured some female did not want to breed and she was letting her man know it. Continued to sew and the sounds stopped.

Next day I worked a 12-hour shift. Came home late, did a head count, gave them all a good head rub, fed them and went to bed. No issues.

The next day, I am up and determined to clean gliders cages. I walk in the room and from a distance I see a fuzzy caterpillar in the bottom of drop pan. What the heck. On closer examination.. it's about a 1 and 1/2 inch section of a tail. I am stunned. On exam of the two gliders in that cage, found that BOTH of them were missing big sections of their tails. What the.... how could this be? I am upset and shocked. Then... I see it, I left the cage next to them too close, only a few inches away. I must have moved it a few nights before when I was trying to catch that male. I am so upset. Check that cage and mom, dad and their two joeys are fine.

Now, I have 2 gliders with injuries from the same cage. Take them to the vet, she says they look a day or so old and looks like they are healing well and not messing with them. She gave me a soak to wash them with twice a day and she cleans up the ends. I carry them for days, neither mess with either tail, they appear to be healing. Then a day or two later, I see that the female has over groomed her wound, it's red, and now his looks swollen. Off to the vet. They both have surgery to cut the tail in between the vertebrae, stiches, e-collars, separate cages. AND the vet gave me spray to put on their tails twice a day.

A few days later I notice the female is scratching at her pouch and making herself bleed, but the tail is healing. Talk with Judie and she tells me you can not put an ecollar on a glider that my be pregnant, could be birthing joeys, or have joeys in pouch. Because she has to clean her pouch or she will develop a pouch infection. I had thought this pair breed right before the injury, so this would make scence.

What am I to do? I have to take the ecollar off and I fear she'll go after the tail. But I have to try it. I continue to use this nasty spray the vet gave me twice a day, and she NEVER ever touches that tail. She is now able to groom her pouch, eat on her own, play, and sleep well, all w/o the ecollar. I am so excited.

So they next day I take off his ecollar. It's been about 6 days since surgery, he also does not touch that tail as long as I spray twice a day. So after a day or two of neither touching their tails, eating on their own, I put them back together. That way they would not be alone. I figure if it tastes so bad they won't touch their own tail, then why would they touch the other ones.

I am happy to say, they both healed completly with only the use of the spray, and of course antibiotics. We did not have to use the ecollar. Now... these are NOT self mutilators, they were injury/surgical gliders. So I don't know if it would help a self mutilator. The scab fell off and left a bright pink scar on him, and I wasn't sure if it was a fresh area or not, so I continued to spray him twice a day until the fur started coming back. LOL. I figured I was safe with that.

So, a few have asked, and I keep forgetting. But here is the name of the spray. I just bought a new bottle from my vet for emergencies. It was $12 and should last forever.

Here is what it is called and what the label says.

Collasate spray, postoperative and wound dressing
(contains medical hydrolysate of Type 1 collagen with Bitrex to deter fur and skin biting and licking)
Manufactured for PRN pharmacal 8809 ely road
pensacola, Fl 32514

The vet told me they use it a lot with dogs and cats after neutering or any surgery. That it IS safe if ingested. But, I have tasted it, they will not injest much.
It is a thick yellow spray, and stays put and it tastes so bitter you can't stand it.

Several times I would wash my hands, use a vegetable scrub brush and soap to make sure I got it all. And then a few hours I'd be eating and STILL get that bad taste in my mouth.

I am NO vet, and I am not saying don't use an ecollar. I am just telling about my experience and how great it was, so you can talk to your vet. I know the first night I could not get the ecollar to stay on by myself and it sure would have been nice to have this on hand.

I asked the vet if you needed a prescription and she was not sure, thought it might be able to be ordered off the Internet. She just sold me a new bottle because I told her I wanted it on hand. She said it was a very common used spray at the vets office.

So, those of you that are so researched in glider health, tell me what you think. Talk to your vet and see what they think. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but maybe you all know something I don't know.
BTW, I ended up using it almost a month, twice a day for two gliders. I would still have some of it left, but it broke in my bag on the way to Texas, grrrrr. So the 1 oz bottle will last a long time.

Last edited by queenduck; 04/29/07 02:09 PM.

Alicia aka Queenduck, Bentley's Nana

We need role models who are going to break the mold ~ Carly Simon
Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: queenduck] #273882
04/29/07 02:31 PM
04/29/07 02:31 PM
Lenexa, KS
TracieB Offline
Glider Addict
TracieB  Offline
Glider Addict

Lenexa, KS
Wow! That sounds awesome, and could be a real life saver in an emergency. What kind of expiration does the spray have (a year, two)? Even if it's only a year, $12/year is pretty cheap for piece of mind.

I'll definitely take the info to my vet and get her input. Thanks a bunch for posting this for us.

Tracie
1 wonderful husband - Chris
1 goofy Yorkie - Dexter
2 naughty kitties - Chloe & Alek

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
1 spoiled Yorkie, Myles - April 5, 1993-June 5, 2007
1 sweet :wfb: Xavier - August 5, 2007-May 20, 2010
2 sweet :grey: :grey: Nara & Alkina - February, 2006-November, 2011

Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: queenduck] #273884
04/29/07 02:34 PM
04/29/07 02:34 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
My mom used to have to use that for her dog (he had horrible allergies even with vet interaction and often got hotspots...) You don't have to have a prescription for it. Here's some more info on it wink

Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: TracieB] #273885
04/29/07 02:35 PM
04/29/07 02:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Me too!!!! Especially since I have more neuters coming up and I'm terrified of them sming the site!

Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: ] #273890
04/29/07 02:45 PM
04/29/07 02:45 PM
Kansas
queenduck Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
I noticed mine, now who knows how long the vet had it on the shelf, expires in October of this year. But that's OK with me, it's sealed and I am sure would still be good a little longer if not opened. And if not... I'll just buy more.

The vet did her first neuter on a glider a few weeks ago, all went well, but they used the spray for a few days.. just in case, and he healed fine.

As for self mutilators, I am sure they are in pain and the reson they mutilate. But we really don't know that. I am not sure if you used it on one spot.. that would keep them from going at another spot. I guess only time will tell, I hope I never have a self mutilator, but if I do.. I'll use it.

There is another spray, I don't know the name, and it is only used on non-open areas, like for over flossers, lol, it's not to be used on open areas, but she promised me that this is a surgical spray and is intended to be used on open areas, and is safe.

I can not tell you how much it helped my gliders and me, I didn't have to hand feed them anymore, didn't have to groom them, and they were able to stay together. Anyone that has ever had a glider (or 2 at a time) in an ecollor knows it's a long day, stinky, time consuming thing, and it's heartbreaking to see those gliders flop around trying to get it off. Very stressful. Once I used the spray only, I was nervous, but it was so much better for all of us.

But with anything, keep a really close eye on any glider with an injury.

Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: queenduck] #273904
04/29/07 03:09 PM
04/29/07 03:09 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
My Mareki has been self-mutilating her patagiums again (this is the 4th time in the past year). You can believe that I'm going to be calling my vet to inquire about this tomorrow!!! I was using a topical solution on the wound called Synotic that leaves a horrible garlic taste, but the smell is AWFUL! and since it is actually a solvent solution (to keep the wound edges from granulating and forming thick scar tissue) it is not something that can be used for a prolonged period of time, so after the first week, I discontinued it's use (as per vet instructions). Mareki is a very fluffy glider (182 grams) that is very difficult to keep an e-collar on shakehead because her head is narrower than her neck at this point. So, I've not been able to keep a collar on her this time through. It has been very touch and go with trying to keep her from overgrooming the site and causing more damage. I am definitely going to inquire about the possible use of this spray for her treatment. If the vet approves it, I'll let all of you know how it works for her...

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: sugarglidersuz] #273914
04/29/07 03:18 PM
04/29/07 03:18 PM
Kansas
queenduck Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Suz, this stuff sticks too, I can't even explain it. But I changed the pouch often and that helped cut down the smell. It's thick, almost like and oil, which is good because it really stays put. I'd spray the tail with two squirts in the morning, and then again when I fed them at night. I sure hope it helps. I followed Becki's link and did you see this..

Product Highlights:
Contains Bitrex to keep animals from biting fur and skin and licking affected areas
Natural Collagen spray speeds healing of wounds and surgical sites - acts as a tissue adhesive, helps to prevent bacterial infection, protects the site from mechanical insult and reduces the potential for scarring - great for healing Hot Spots !

Well... if it helps speed healing, acts as a tissue adhesivee, and helps provent bacterial infections, wow no wonder it worked.

If I had money to spend of stock, lol, I'd buy some for the makers of this. In my personal opinion, can you tell I am sold on it, no glider home should be without it.

Linda Sardou used this on her excited flossers smile as she was worried they would nick something, and she told me about it. I was leary, until her/our vet backed Linda up. And Linda was right, it was a true lifesaver.

Last edited by queenduck; 04/29/07 03:19 PM.

Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: queenduck] #315736
06/15/07 11:52 PM
06/15/07 11:52 PM
Kansas
queenduck Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Bumping this up because I have gotten so many pms and I guess the link never did make it to this post. So here it is Collasate spray for wounds

Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: queenduck] #315745
06/15/07 11:59 PM
06/15/07 11:59 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Originally Posted By: queenduck

Linda Sardou used this on her excited flossers smile as she was worried they would nick something, and she told me about it. I was leary, until her/our vet backed Linda up. And Linda was right, it was a true lifesaver.

So true! After the first taste of this stuff - they never went back roflmao

Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: LSardou] #315753
06/16/07 12:06 AM
06/16/07 12:06 AM
Quincy, IL 62305
Lynsie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Lynsie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL 62305
I just ordered some.

Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: LSardou] #315758
06/16/07 12:11 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wonder if this stuff would keep my daughter from sucking her thumb... lol

I am definately going to look into this stuff... With my luck i am gonna need it....

Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: Lynsie] #315759
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Lynsie, before you use this on your glider, you should talk to Anita about her experiences with that little girl of her's. She thinks the glider had an allergic reaction to the spray. I'm not sure of the details but talk to her.

Also, this is no substitute for vet treatment.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: queenduck] #315767
06/16/07 12:15 AM
06/16/07 12:15 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
I will also be having some of this available at the SGGA for anyone who is interested in it. thumb

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: Srlb] #315770
06/16/07 12:16 AM
06/16/07 12:16 AM
Quincy, IL 62305
Lynsie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Lynsie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL 62305
Teresa, didn't you also just order some of this??

And I never intended it to be used instead of vet treatment.

Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: Lynsie] #315780
06/16/07 12:24 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Lets not turn this into a personal thing.

Lynsie is aware that she must get the glider to a vet, we all know that. We also all know that if there is a vet in town that we know is not one that we are comfortable with, we will not go to them. There is another vet in the Corpus area that has worked with gliders before, although he isnt an exotic vet, but ever since he threw a glider into the wall for biting him, everyone is warned to stay away from him, yet I know a couple who wont go to anyone else with their gliders...

I can see both sides here, but making it into a personal thing is not going to do anyone or anything any good. ohwell

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: Lynsie] #315783

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Woo Hoo! save me a bottle Peggy!

Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: ] #315788
06/16/07 12:32 AM
06/16/07 12:32 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Competing for the Boogle title lol

Here's a link with the full description:
Collasate Spray

Last edited by TracieB; 06/16/07 12:59 AM. Reason: Rule #9 ~ Tracie
Re: New tx 4 animals w/ injury/illness collasate spray [Re: ] #315950
06/16/07 09:43 AM
06/16/07 09:43 AM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
Peggy, I'll be buying one also... smile

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024