Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
why is my glider not grooming? #274217
04/29/07 09:18 PM
04/29/07 09:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

here are some pics of my glider he does not seem to be grooming at all. please refer to my other post "what to behavior to expect while traveling with a glider?" in this same forum, I explain what has been going on up until now. Please look at these pictures and help me with whatever you can.

PS i am going into my sisters vet office for a wellness exam tomorrow.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/jpedrini/PIC-0014.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/jpedrini/PIC-0013.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/jpedrini/PIC-0012.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/jpedrini/PIC-0011.jpg

Re: why is my glider not grooming? [Re: ] #274430
04/30/07 05:03 AM
04/30/07 05:03 AM
Quincy, IL
glidrz5 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidrz5  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL
With any behavior change, it is always good to consult your vet to make sure that there is no physical cause. I would recommend a vet visit & fecal. I'm hoping tho, that it is just stress & once things settle down, his behavior will go back to normal.

Chris
Illusion, Malcom, Isabell, Annabelle, Zach, Isis, Aly & Indy
AND Miss Emmy & Miss Chloe kitties

:rbridge: My Angels: You are always in my heart.

You've flown to the rainbow
and wait there for me
Someday I will join you
together to be

Re: why is my glider not grooming? [Re: glidrz5] #274436
04/30/07 06:35 AM
04/30/07 06:35 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Okay, I just refreshed my memory by reading your other thread again...
First of all, your glider is very young and that is part of the problem that you are experiencing with him. Also, he is very stressed from all of the abrubt changes that he has undergone in the last week or so. At this point, it is good that you are at your mother's and he is in a bit more "stable" environment, but when you travel the last day, you can expect that he will revert to being stressed again and it may last a few days. At this point, YOU are his one and only constant in an ever-changing world. So, what should you do to help him at this point?
1) Continue to feed him the BML. Give it to him by hand as licky treats, if needed, but do NOT add extra calcium to his diet, in any form. As already stated in the other thread, too much calcium can be as harmful as not enough. You can offer a small amount of his previous food to him, but discontinue it as soon as you get to his permanent home (which I assume is your home in Reno).
2) Help him to groom himself. Get some Cottonelle Fresh Wipes (usually by the TP in the stores). Make sure you buy the Cottonelle brand as they are safe for a glider's tender skin. Gently rub down the areas that need grooming with a clean wipe. Then gently use a soft washcloth to towel-dry him afterwards. Although the Dry Glider Shampoo is a good product, the sound of the spray will scare him, so I wouldn't spray it directly on him at this point in time. If you want to use it, then spray it onto a washcloth in a different room , then gently wipe him down with it, following by towel-drying with a clean, dry washcloth.
3) His shaking is due to a combination of stress and sleepiness. When a glider is sleeping, their metabolism rate slows way down, dropping their overall body temperature. At 8 weeks oop, joeys are just starting to be able to really regulate their own body temperature (start that at about 6 weeks oop) and so when they wake up, they shiver as their body comes back up to temperature. This is more pronounced in joeys than in adults, but adult gliders do the same thing. You can help him by wrapping him in a fleece blanket when he first wakes up and cuddling him (if he'll let you) until he gets warm. Talk to him softly and reassure him that he's okay, you're gonna take care of him, etc. [Along this line, do NOT clean him until he is up to temperature and no longer shaking. The cleaning process will cool him down some and you don't want to get him overly cold.]
4) Hold him and spend time with him. If possible, while driving, carry him in a bonding pouch under your shirt for at least a few hours of the drive. The sound of your heartbeat and your body warmth will help him to feel more secure and safe. Even while not traveling, carrying him in a bonding pouch for at least part of the day will help him to get bonded to you more quickly because he will be able to hear your heartbeat, smell you, hear your voice and feel your touch - all key elements in bonding with a glider.
5) Last, but NOT least! Bring him to your sister's vet office. Get a wellness examination and make sure they do both a fecal float & smear AND a urinalysis. The best way to get samples for the vet is to immediately place him on the cold examination table as soon as you take him out of the pouch. This almost always will make a glider go potty and it places the "sample" on a clean, sterile surface for the vet to be able to collect it. IF the glider does not go potty right away, you can try to stimulate him by gently rubbing his cloaca with a warm, damp q-tip. This should start him going, then the vet can collect the needed sample.
Good luck with your little guy. He should be fine because he has a great, loving, caring companion - YOU!
hug2

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: why is my glider not grooming? [Re: sugarglidersuz] #275031
04/30/07 07:50 PM
04/30/07 07:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thank you for all your help. Since i am in a state that it is illegal to have gliders it has been hard to get him into a vet, luckly my sister is a vet tech and her Dr agreed to do an exam on him, dr was only able to get enough fecal matter to do a smear but he did not see any abnormalities, he also was unable to get a UA but he did exam for unusual bumos and listened to lung and heart sounds. He said based on his exam that gizmo looked to be in good health and that the lack of grooming was probley due to stress. the only abnormal things gizmo is doing is not grooming and has diahrrea. He is eating all of his food and i had tent time last night and he was very active. The vet did give me an Antibiotic to give for a week just incase there is some type of illness that he did not see. I came home and cleaned him off and now he is resting. we leave tomorrow for reno where i found a vet that specifically treats exotics and sugar gliders. Ill keep everyone updated thank you again for all your help.

Re: why is my glider not grooming? [Re: ] #275246
04/30/07 11:30 PM
04/30/07 11:30 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks for the update. I'm glad that he checked out well at the vet's and that the vet went ahead and prescribed an antibiotic as a prophylactic. Please continue to keep us posted.
hug2

Suz Enyedy
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: why is my glider not grooming? [Re: sugarglidersuz] #275587
05/01/07 12:01 PM
05/01/07 12:01 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
One thing to keep in mind about antibiotics: they will cause a glider's stool to loosen because all the "good" bacteria gets killed with the "bad" ones.

You may want to introduce a SMALL amount of yogurt (regular stuff, not "fat free" or "light") into Gizmo's diet daily. What I did while Willy Wonka was on antibiotics was to force-feed him about .4cc BEFORE giving him the antibiotic. That will help regenerate the "good" bacteria & keep his stool from being totally liquid. It also helped Willy from having an upset stomach from the meds.

As soon as Willy didn't need the antibiotics anymore, I kept up the yogurt for 2 days afterward (just as a "preventive" measure).

I'm sure Gizmo will calm down once he gets "home".

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: why is my glider not grooming? [Re: minkasmom] #276274
05/01/07 10:29 PM
05/01/07 10:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i will try that thank you i also have an appoitment on sat with the local vet who is experianced with gliders to get her opinon and have her do a full wellness exam.

Re: why is my glider not grooming? [Re: ] #279678
05/05/07 09:41 PM
05/05/07 09:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gizmo went to the vet in town today and he checked out perfect, the vet even said that he is one of the best behaived gliders he has seen and in excelant health. The vet is a certified exotics vet and has 13yrs experiance with gliders. Gizmo is nice and groomed and eating like a horse. thank you to everyone for all your help next step is getting him nuetered in about 2 months and then getting him a cage mate.

Re: why is my glider not grooming? [Re: ] #279711
05/05/07 10:43 PM
05/05/07 10:43 PM
Connecticut
Kitkatt1216 Offline
Glider Slave
Kitkatt1216  Offline
Glider Slave

Connecticut
thanks for the update, so glad Gizmo is doing good.

Katrina
Owned by Murphy and Peanut

**RIP My loves Amunet, MiaKoda, and Kieko**
Re: why is my glider not grooming? [Re: Kitkatt1216] #279903
05/06/07 07:53 AM
05/06/07 07:53 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Excellent! Thanks so much for the update clap

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 323 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,572 TEXAS
679,075 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,160 UTAH
321,683 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024