Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn syrup #281807
05/08/07 11:49 AM
05/08/07 11:49 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is that syrup safe? What does your ingriedients say on the back of your dried fruit packages? Even if I could get a yay for yes' and naes for no's; that would be much help...
Thank Yous'-----Megan

Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn syrup [Re: ] #281813
05/08/07 11:52 AM
05/08/07 11:52 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's just a fancy word for sugar. It would be best to feed all natural dried fruit so it's not in there, but it won't hurt for the occasional treat as long as there aren't any other ingredients in there that may be unsafe.

Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn syrup [Re: ] #281954
05/08/07 02:18 PM
05/08/07 02:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Check the organic section - they always have the best treats!

Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn sy [Re: ] #281965
05/08/07 02:34 PM
05/08/07 02:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Leisl
That's just a fancy word for sugar.

Actually, this isn't quite true. This is what wikipedia has to say about it:

High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) refers to a group of corn syrups which have undergone enzymatic processing in order to increase their fructose content and are then mixed with pure corn syrup (100% glucose) to reach their final form. The typical types of HFCS are: HFCS 90 (most commonly used in baked goods) which is approximately 90% fructose and 10% glucose; HFCS 55 (most commonly used in soft drinks) which is approximately 55% fructose and 45% glucose; and HFCS 42 (most commonly used in sports drinks) which is approximately 42% fructose and 58% glucose.

HFCS 55 is comparable to table sugar (sucrose) in sweetness. This makes it useful to manufacturers as a possible substitute for sugar in soft drinks and other processed foods. HFCS 90 is sweeter than table sugar as fructose is sweeter than glucose, while HFCS 42 is not as sweet as table sugar.

From what I've heard, it also makes you (people) feel "not full" when they eat/drink products with this in it, so it can lead to overeating as your body won't tell you that it's full. They use it to replace sugar cause it's cheaper than using real sugar.

I, personally, would try to avoid feeding this to gliders. I also agree that if you look in the organic sections, you should be able to find fruit without it.

There's more on wikipedia, so here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fructose_corn_syrup

Last edited by LuvMyGliders; 05/08/07 02:35 PM.
Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn sy [Re: ] #282029
05/08/07 03:39 PM
05/08/07 03:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yea, thank you--- more!!! anybody else---- who hasn't thought of it and been feeding it??? Oh, yea, I know you're reading this--- I want to know... Noice - gets sick frequently? always been fine? how old? how long? what color do you have?

Thanks again, eveyone!

Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn sy [Re: ] #282051
05/08/07 04:05 PM
05/08/07 04:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, they are all sugars in the chemcial sense, just not "sugar" in the sense of being sugar from a sugar cane. Fructose is a sugar found in a lot of the sweet foods we eat like apples and such. That's why you can't eat them on the Atkins diet because fructose is a sugar is a carb. So, I stand by words that high fructose corn syrup is a fancy name for sugar.

Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn sy [Re: ] #282072
05/08/07 04:33 PM
05/08/07 04:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

To me, saying that high fructose sugar is a fancy name for sugar just doesn't make any sense and could be very confusing for a lot of people. I don't think that you can compare the different kinds of sugars that there are just because they can all be called sugar. White sugar is chemically different than the sugar found in fruit which is also chemically different than high fructose corn syrup, therefore, I don't think that we can call them all the same thing. I would think that some people would see "corn syrup is just sugar" and think that it's okay for suggies because they get sugar in their fruit, right? And for me personally, I wouldn't feed them high fructose corn syrup, but I will feed them fruit.

Sorry if this sounds confusing and i'm rambling, but chemically altered food is a hot button issue for me. like I wouldn't compare the different types of fat that there are, because they all do different things in your body. This is similar to me.

Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn sy [Re: ] #282091
05/08/07 04:57 PM
05/08/07 04:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, now I see where you're coming from since it's a hot topic for you, but they are all sugars no matter what. Yes, high fructose corn syrup is manmade and more complex because it's not a simple sugar (monosaccharide) like plain fructose, but it's still sugar. And, I did say that feeding the all natural would be better. I was just symplifying the matter so as not to throw a bunch of long words out there. The pertinent info was there: It's a sugar, all natural is better, OK to feed very occasionally.

Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn sy [Re: ] #282098
05/08/07 05:05 PM
05/08/07 05:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I hope I didn't offend you in anyway, I just feel that a lot of people (in general, not just suggie parents) are extremely misinformed about a lot of the ingredients that are in most of our foods these days, and I just feel that everyone should be as educated as possible and then they can make a decision that is right for them. again, these are just my opinions and I would hope that people who want to know about things of this nature should research so that they are well educated.

Again, sorry if I have come off as anything other than informative, or another opinion. These are just my thoughts.

Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn sy [Re: ] #282106
05/08/07 05:14 PM
05/08/07 05:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

smile No way! I love a good debate! I didn't take offense at all and I hope I dind't offend you either. I like science too and there are a lot of scary things out there that we just don't know about (i.e. dog food just being the most recent). You've got a valid point.

Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn sy [Re: ] #282115
05/08/07 05:24 PM
05/08/07 05:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi, Guys! Awwwww...Leisl and Luv, you two are both wonderful, well informed glider slaves...may I be the first to extend a joint hug to both of you? hug2

If I might, I've got 2 cents to throw on this change pile! laugh
(Who's shocked? Nobody? Nobody at all??) LOL laugh

Both Leisl and Luv are correct...they are actually addressing your initial question from two different angles, but they both are expressing the same knowledge and awareness in different ways.

It's true that High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) IS in fact "[i]a[/i] sugar," but I believe what LuvMyGliders is trying to provide in response to your original question and surrounding concerns about your gliders is that HFCS is not a *natural* sugar and should not be fed to gliders. Leisl is agreeing that it's not natural, but that is it derived/linked with Fructose, which in *just* that form is a natural sugar found in many fruits. Are we all on the same page here? Yes, yes, good! laugh

There is no debate in the dietary and medical communities that HFCS is *bad* for you. As Luv stated, it is often used in processed foods because it's exponentially sweeter than natural sugar (read: CHEAPER for companies to use than real true form sugar), and it has a research proven tendency to get people on the fast track to obesity because you can consume it and consume it and just want more. Most dieticians and doctors for PEOPLE will say that if HFCS is found in the top 5 ingredients of any food label, you should NOT buy it because it's rather unhealthy for you and provides no positive nutritional value.

This is significant because one can infer safely that if small amounts of HFCS are very unhealthy for humans, this type of chemically-altered ingredient can be no better for gliders, who in the wild would eat absolutely NO chemically altered ingredients.

Tying this all back to dried fruits, many regular, packaged dried fruits contain these types of sweeteners, and *sulfur* of some sort as a preservative. As offered above in another post, head to the organic section and/or a health food store that sells plain dried fruit WITHOUT the additives that may, or may not, lead to direct complications in your sugar gliders. What we DO know is that these additives are LIKELY to cause a problem over time, and we have no solid research or evidence as to *how much* over *what period of time* adverse health issues develop. So my take on ALL glider issues still applies here: better safe than sorry.

When you can choose a better alternative, it just makes sense to do so. It's not mean, bad, or wrong if you feed your gliders dried fruit that isn't organic....I'm only suggesting that it's safer, and surer, to know your glider is getting more controlled, healthy ingredients.

FYI, Exotic Nutrition sells dried papaya that shows no other ingredients. You can also buy freeze dried Gerber baby food finger food bites...they come in any grocery store and have zero additives. The strawberries and bananas mix is wonderful...mine don't eat the bananas (but my hubby and I can pick them out and throw them in our cereal), but they love the berries.

I do hope this helps. Now, ladies, kiss and make up...you are both DOLLS and you are BOTH very well informed!!

Love and Smiles,
Jen

Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn sy [Re: ] #282556
05/09/07 03:19 AM
05/09/07 03:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm just really glad that people can come here and get such great information from a variety of sources! It's awesome, and all is good on this end:)

Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn sy [Re: ] #282947
05/09/07 03:51 PM
05/09/07 03:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thumb

Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn sy [Re: ] #283012
05/09/07 04:45 PM
05/09/07 04:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

exotic nutritiona dn briskies both sell glider safe dried fruits, as does Glidersanonymous, and if you have one Trader Joes!

HFCS is a non natural substance.. and though not DOCUMENTED as unhealthy can be a trigger for several dietary controlled ailments.. including IBS- it can cause cramping and bloating... given this and that it is not in a natural form (yes it is made from fructose, but the very name- HIGH FRUCTOSE means it is more concentrated fructose then that found in natural products... ) I would shy away from feeding it to gliders, then again, its not welcome in my home at all..

When I have time I hop back in here, but I am a student of HUMAN dietetics at the moment- working towards becoming a registered dietitian!

Amie

Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn sy [Re: ] #283542
05/10/07 09:58 AM
05/10/07 09:58 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you all so much for you're wisdom and your two cents... Not only did you awnser my question, BUT (and what I appriciate most of all) I know WHY, and I UNDERSTAND why. I know past yes or no. Thanks again, this is why I love you guys and this community- this is why I look forward to being part of this board for a while to come. As for the bluberries? I'm already in the process of finding them good homes; lets see-- there pancakes, muffins, and biscuits... What?? You didn't say "I" shouldn't have them!!! LOL

Sincerly,
Megan

Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn sy [Re: ] #283549
05/10/07 10:06 AM
05/10/07 10:06 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I charge one blueberry muffin for my info. Please overnight to guarantee freshness. Thanks!

Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn sy [Re: ] #283581
05/10/07 11:02 AM
05/10/07 11:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree with Leisl!

(LOL...it had been awhile) laugh

Re: Dried Fruit Ingriedients high fructose corn sy [Re: ] #284274
05/11/07 01:44 AM
05/11/07 01:44 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

LOL, I'll keep that in mind, if we ever happen to run into eachother at a get together or something--- you'll know it's me, I should just keep that my little theme--- why doesn't anybody ever bring those??? That would be a good treat to make for get togethers, kids classes, things like that... WHOA!!! way off topic.. Anyways, I'm in the hole 2 bluberry muffins, yea, it was worth it--- I guess (rolls eyes)

LOL!!!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024