Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? #283110
05/09/07 06:32 PM
05/09/07 06:32 PM
Phoenix, Arizona!!
BlndGrl8 Offline OP
Glider Slave
BlndGrl8  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Phoenix, Arizona!!
I am so frightened to introduce my gliders. I just tried right now, and Sparkles kind of grabbed Flower, so I pulled them apart. I didn't know if they were just getting to know each other, or if they were going to ball up. How will I know the difference. I get so nervous and shaky I feel like I will never be able to do it. Can someone help me? Was anyone else nervous when introducing? Did you think your gliders were fighting but they really weren't and they were ok? I get way to worked up over this and my husband is so calm and collected. need_hug

heart Kristin
:glider: Sparkles &
Flower

mlove Loving Husband Christopher
angel Proverbs 3:5,6

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: BlndGrl8] #283116
05/09/07 06:38 PM
05/09/07 06:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

hug2

What kinds of noise were they making? Thats always a helpful thing to notice... also, I have heard if you introduce them in a bathtub (empty of course) and they start to fight, it is much MUCH easier to get them apart.

so yeah. what noises were they making?

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: ] #283122
05/09/07 06:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i just introduced my two today and went thru the same thing are they tring to bite each other, are they playing so i kept their distance for a while, let them smell each other, then i said ok you can do this and they jumped all over each other and licked each other to death.. i was lucky i have them with me now just in case of fighting.. good luck

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: ] #283123
Texas
morksmom Offline
Glider Slave
morksmom  Offline
Glider Slave

Texas
Scares me to,that is why I haven't gotten that far yet with intros.:(

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: morksmom] #283133
05/09/07 06:51 PM
05/09/07 06:51 PM
Phoenix, Arizona!!
BlndGrl8 Offline OP
Glider Slave
BlndGrl8  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Phoenix, Arizona!!
They weren't really making any noise. As soon as Sparkles came over to Flower, It was a soft crabbing sound (my husband says). I need to know that hope is out there! Can someone come over and help me! lol.

heart Kristin
Flower

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: BlndGrl8] #283138
05/09/07 06:54 PM
05/09/07 06:54 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
mattysmom Offline
Glider Guardian
mattysmom  Offline
Glider Guardian

Tarpon Springs, FL
I haven't ever had a problem introducing glider pairs. Be prepared with a glove or cloth of some sort to separate if necessary so you won't get scratched or bitten if they truly are fighting - but I've never seen anything but happiness when introducing pairs.

Moira & Matty & my zoo
Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: mattysmom] #283142
05/09/07 06:57 PM
05/09/07 06:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yeah, I think you're safe hun. A soft crabbing, chittering, or chirping sound has always been good in my experience.

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: ] #283152
05/09/07 07:02 PM
05/09/07 07:02 PM
Phoenix, Arizona!!
BlndGrl8 Offline OP
Glider Slave
BlndGrl8  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Phoenix, Arizona!!
What are noises they make if they are fighting? I am just so scared, I don't want to separate them if they are playing, but I don't want to let them go at it if they are fighting. When I put them together should I just let them interact? Is it normal if they grab each other or climb on each other?

heart Kristin
Flower

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: BlndGrl8] #283157
05/09/07 07:07 PM
05/09/07 07:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I spent a month of having Julz and Aiden's cage next to each other and pouch swapping. Then a week of me holding Aiden inside Julz cage for 2 minutes then getting too terrified and taking him back out. It looked like Julz just wanted to "get" him, and I couldn't tell if it was in a bad or good way. When I finally let him roam around in her cage, she jumped on him so I snatched him up and pulled him out. Another week of this and I realized Julz just wanted to groom him SO badly! They were best friends from the get go, but I had a heart attack every time...

I think noises will definitely help you determine what's what, and as long as you are there to play referee for short intervals, you should be able to guage what's going on.

Hope that helps a little at least! Good luck smile

Edit: I originally tried introducing Julz to my female trio. This didn't work out, and I knew instantly because Julz was crabbing and running away, while Rizo was chasing her. When Julz was chasing Aiden down, he only meandered away with a mild "mom quit cleaning me!" reaction.

Last edited by Jhessail; 05/09/07 07:09 PM.
Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: ] #283172
05/09/07 07:33 PM
05/09/07 07:33 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
mattysmom Offline
Glider Guardian
mattysmom  Offline
Glider Guardian

Tarpon Springs, FL
I've only seen fighting once - one young female did not want to share her male - so much for my only try at a colony. They were separated immediately. The noises are not friendly sounding and it's really obvious that it's fighting not just getting to know each other. They definitely will want to touch and sniff each other - just be there and be aware but try not to panic. Are they a male and a female? That's usually no problem.

Moira & Matty & my zoo
Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: BlndGrl8] #283175
05/09/07 07:38 PM
05/09/07 07:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yay introduction time!! jump

I would hold one in a pouch and the other in their cage and let them look at each other. This way they are simple to separate. They may be grabby to get to one another, but you CAN tell fighting when you see/hear it!!!!

If that goes well, you can let them crawl into a pouch together.

Remember you can always call me!! thumb

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: ] #283248
05/09/07 09:22 PM
05/09/07 09:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh man I was terrified when I first put mine together in the tent. The first thing Pan did was run into Piper's pouch and then she ran right in after him! I was like AHH!!! They're gonna fight!! But when I looked in they were just climbing all over and grooming each other! smile

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: ] #283254
05/09/07 09:29 PM
05/09/07 09:29 PM
Phoenix, Arizona!!
BlndGrl8 Offline OP
Glider Slave
BlndGrl8  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Phoenix, Arizona!!
Moira~ They are both females.
Thanks Stacie! Like Taylynn said, I should try it in the bathtub. I don't have a tent yet. Where did you all try intros?

heart Kristin
Flower

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: BlndGrl8] #283280
05/09/07 09:58 PM
05/09/07 09:58 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
mattysmom Offline
Glider Guardian
mattysmom  Offline
Glider Guardian

Tarpon Springs, FL
Two females should be fine. I tried to introduce a second female after a male/female pair bonded. If I did it again, I would introduce in stages are recommended. After quarantine time in smaller cages near enough to notice and smell each other, I put them in the larger cage together and stayed right there with them to monitor the situation. If you've ever seen/heard a cat fight, that's what it's like if they don't get along. Nasty noises. They're going to get excited to be together for the first time and run and jump and play. I want to say "go for it" since I've always had good experiences and happy gliders. Rather than put one in another's cage, the tub sounds like a great idea. You'll be more in control.

Moira & Matty & my zoo
Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: mattysmom] #283332
05/09/07 10:54 PM
05/09/07 10:54 PM
Phoenix, Arizona!!
BlndGrl8 Offline OP
Glider Slave
BlndGrl8  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Phoenix, Arizona!!
Thank you all for the wonderful and encouraging advice! I really appreciate it. I need all the help I can get to calm my nerves! I will try again tomorrow or the next. I guess I just need to do it and not be scared. If they seem like they are fighting which I hope they won't then I will separate them with fleece and try another time. I will let you know how it goes! Thanks again!

heart Kristin
Flower

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: BlndGrl8] #284072
05/10/07 08:07 PM
05/10/07 08:07 PM
Phoenix, Arizona!!
BlndGrl8 Offline OP
Glider Slave
BlndGrl8  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Phoenix, Arizona!!
Ok I tried it again today! I was still scared, but I did it while I was scared. I put their pouches on a blanket in the bathtub. Sparkles climbed out, then Flower did. Sparkles ran over to Flower and I guess was trying to groom her because she kind of grabbed her on top and then Flower started crabbing, so I pulled them apart with fleece. I tried it again and the same thing happened. Sparkles goes over to Flower grabs her and Flower crabs. Is this fighting or grooming? Am I supposed to let Flower crab so she gets used to it? How long should I let her crab before it gets too late and they fight? This is harder than I thought.

heart Kristin
Flower

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: BlndGrl8] #284076
05/10/07 08:18 PM
05/10/07 08:18 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
mattysmom Offline
Glider Guardian
mattysmom  Offline
Glider Guardian

Tarpon Springs, FL
I'd let her crab if she's not being hurt but use your discretion to separate them when she's had enough and try again later. They're communicating and Sparkles will hopefully take the hint. It doesn't sound like fighting if they're not biting and scratching and making worse sound.s

Moira & Matty & my zoo
Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: mattysmom] #284094
05/10/07 08:36 PM
05/10/07 08:36 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
From what you're describing, it sounds more like "getting to know you" than trouble.

The rule of thumb I use is called "count to 10". Put Flower and Sparkles down in neutral territory & let them get acquainted. If there's noise (short of blood-curtling screaming & fighting), count to 10 before you separate them.

The most recent experience I had was introducing Mercury to his new girlfriend at the Tennessee shindig: She was in a pouch in her cage, and we let him walk in through the main door....he crawled into her pouch, there was 3 sets of crabbing then TOTAL SILENCE. After counting to 10 at least 4 times, we all looked at each other like "what do we do NOW? this IS NOT normal!" A quick peek into the pouch showed 2 suggies curled up around each other!! A bunch of "awwwww's" and a few "wow's" and it was a done deal. I was prepared for much worse: I had a piece of fleece in each hand, just waiting.....but it just didn't happen!

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: minkasmom] #284132
05/10/07 09:40 PM
05/10/07 09:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When mine would fight they would totally roll up in a glider snowball and be rolling around biting. Even then mine didn't fight that bad...you would hear screeching and nasty noises if they were really ticked.

Even though we don't totally understand their language, you will know in your gut if something REALLY bad is happening.

I've been told after a long year of trying to introduce my male and female that some bickering is quite normal. It's normal for them to spat and hiss and crab at eachother every so often, just like siblings quarrel. Mine also will get in spats sometimes if one wants to groom and the other does not want to be groomed! You should be OK as long as they don't roll into a furry screaming ball of death trying to kill eachother. I wouldn't leave them alone unsupervised though until you feel comfortable.

I understand how hard it is because I was trying to get mine together for a year and paranoid they would hurt eachother. We have to remember though that having a buddy, even if it's a buddy they argue with every so often, is what is best for most gliders smile (This is why we are getting a 3rd glider soon...yay!)

Best of luck!

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing? [Re: ] #284151
05/10/07 10:07 PM
05/10/07 10:07 PM
Phoenix, Arizona!!
BlndGrl8 Offline OP
Glider Slave
BlndGrl8  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Phoenix, Arizona!!
WOW! Thank you all for the stories and personal experience!! I feel better to know that it IS normal to crab and make sounds. I guess I have to try the 10 second rule and then see what happens. I think I get nervous and scared and then pull them away too quickly in fear of them killing each other (I know I am over reacting!) I hope I have better luck tomorrow. I will update after I try and hopefully I will be successful!! Thanks everyone!!

Last edited by BlndGrl8; 05/11/07 06:08 PM.

heart Kristin
Flower

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: BlndGrl8] #284167
05/10/07 10:28 PM
05/10/07 10:28 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
mattysmom Offline
Glider Guardian
mattysmom  Offline
Glider Guardian

Tarpon Springs, FL
I once introduced a young glider to another young glider already in a cage. I popped her in and she popped right out again. That should have been my first clue. She hid in my hair and acted nervous so I waited until the next day and tried again. This time, she stayed and they played. Later, when they were on the side of the cage, I noticed that they both had pom-poms. Duh, too late - and I didn't have the heart to separate them. Now I look when I'm told it's a girl or boy...gee, I've learned a lot from GC! These two guys are still together more than a year later and get along better than my male/female couples who squabble over mealies and who knows what else. It's one of those "just dc it" situations - after you're comfortable that they've gotten to know each other from a distance or however you're introducing them. We'll be waiting to hear the good news!

Moira & Matty & my zoo
Re: Terrified to Introduce. Fighting or Playing?? [Re: mattysmom] #284207
05/10/07 11:27 PM
05/10/07 11:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When we introduced Tork and Mellie, we held each pouch close to the other and Tork ran right in. We heard 8 seconds of crabbing from the female, then she stopped for a minute. Dead Silence. Then anther quick batch of crabbing, then silence. Next thing we know, theyre curled up sleeping. It been love ever since! Well.... actually our female is... uhh.. well.. vocal i guess. : ) So sometimes she yells at Tork, but its always short lived, and back to snuggling!!

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Update, I DID IT! [Re: ] #284882
05/11/07 06:07 PM
05/11/07 06:07 PM
Phoenix, Arizona!!
BlndGrl8 Offline OP
Glider Slave
BlndGrl8  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Phoenix, Arizona!!
I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT!! jump Sparkles and Flower are FINALLY together! clap I can't even believe it! This whole week has been quite the process. My heart has never pounded so hard and I have never been so shaky. I was still scared, but I did it anyway. I put their pouches ontop of a blanket in the tub. My husband was with me this time so I felt a little more at ease since he is the calm one. They both crawled out of their pouches and Sparkles grabbed Flower again like she did yesterday. Flower crabbed but I just sat there terrified. Sparkles barked at her and then Sparkles ran away and went under the blanket. Flower sat their with her tail curled up around herself, trying to hide. Then Sparkles came out from the blanket and ran into her pouch, then Flower followed her. It was totally quiet. I have never been so nervous in my life. Now they are in the same pouch grooming each other. I have them on my lap and I have heard Flower kind of sneeze/crab. YEAY!!! I am so excited! dance Thanks to everyone who wrote stories from their own personal experience which gave me encouragement and motivation!! thanks

Now, What do I do next? Do I separate them at night still, and put them together during the day? Or do I put them in the same cage tonight and watch their behavior with each other when they are awake? What did you all do? Thanks so much!

heart Kristin
Flower

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Update, I DID IT! [Re: BlndGrl8] #284885
05/11/07 06:16 PM
05/11/07 06:16 PM
Texas
morksmom Offline
Glider Slave
morksmom  Offline
Glider Slave

Texas
Yippee jump jump jump So happy this is working out for you. I will be trying intros soon, hope mine are as good at it as yours were. smile

Last edited by morksmom; 05/11/07 06:17 PM.
Re: Terrified to Introduce. Update, I DID IT! [Re: morksmom] #284892
05/11/07 06:29 PM
05/11/07 06:29 PM
Phoenix, Arizona!!
BlndGrl8 Offline OP
Glider Slave
BlndGrl8  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Phoenix, Arizona!!
Kathy~ Thank you! If I can do it, you surely can! I was so terrified to the point that my heart would pound just thinking about it and I would lay awake at night in fear of doing it. Let me know when you are doing intros so I can cheer you on!! Yeay!

heart Kristin
Flower

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Update, I DID IT! [Re: BlndGrl8] #284930
05/11/07 07:00 PM
05/11/07 07:00 PM
Lake Worth, FL
Msdoolittle Offline
Glider Lover
Msdoolittle  Offline
Glider Lover

Lake Worth, FL
Congratulations! I'm slowing my intros down until Coral gets more of a chance to adjust. I'm switching blankets and their cages are side by side. This really gives me hope! I'm so glad it worked out so well!

~Janet~
Mom to 2 daughters (Laura & Kayla)
4 suggies (Scooter & Snickers, Coral,& Portia)
3 birds (Prince,Lucy,Sidney)
1 dog (Sammy)

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Update, I DID IT! [Re: BlndGrl8] #285055
05/11/07 09:58 PM
05/11/07 09:58 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
mattysmom Offline
Glider Guardian
mattysmom  Offline
Glider Guardian

Tarpon Springs, FL
Yippee! You did it! So did Sparkles and Flower. I'd leave them together if they were mine. If they're happy, they stay happy - well, maybe they'll fuss over a mealworm but that's not fighting.

Moira & Matty & my zoo
Re: Terrified to Introduce. Update, I DID IT! [Re: mattysmom] #285078
05/11/07 10:21 PM
05/11/07 10:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

o god, im getting my mojave sunday and i m TERRIFIED of him meeting sahara, cause shes a mommy girl, and im scared shes gonna see him as an "enemy for moms love" hahaha.....but slowly does it xD

Re: Terrified to Introduce. Update, I DID IT! [Re: ] #285601
05/12/07 06:53 PM
05/12/07 06:53 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Once they're together, they STAY together! (Hope this is what you've done...I'm like 18 hours behind you) It'd be incredibly stressful on both of them (and their relationship) to be together for just a few hours then separated.

I was thinking about you a couple nights ago...I tried to put Amos with 2 different pairs, oy what a disaster that turned out to be!! For some reason, the male from each of the pairs just ATTACKED Amos's tail (why the tail??) and Amos SCREAMED such a high-pitched banshee yell that I didn't even count to 2 before I separated them. Amos (bless his little heart) is my newest addition & a rescue who went through who-knows-what to cause him to be so NERVOUS and DEFENSIVE and--I hate to use this word, but there's no other--PARANOID about every movement around him. I guess a month is too early by HIS schedule...*sigh*

We've come SUCH A LONG WAY in just a month...I've still got more work to do....*sigh*

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: Terrified to Introduce. Update, I DID IT! [Re: BlndGrl8] #285665
05/12/07 09:10 PM
05/12/07 09:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I know it can be scary, but I'm glad you weren't alone. hug2 Your husband seems like a wonderful guy! thumb

How are they doing now? Did you keep them together last night?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024