Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Permanent Paralysis - Experience with Jackie Chan #321786
06/22/07 11:02 PM
06/22/07 11:02 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline OP
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Texas
Didn't know whether to post this here or in special needs. Feel free to move it if needed.

In the time that I have had Jackie Chan, I have acquired a great deal of information about paralysis in gliders and the issues that come with it. My hope is that this thread will one day be a place for others with paralyzed gliders to learn, share and rejoice as I have!

So, the thoughts that are on my head now:

HOPE: There is hope for these gliders. Even in dire circumstances, improvement is possible. I had been told that Jackie Chan would never regain any sensation or use of his hind limbs/tail as the damage to his spine was too substantial. WELL, a good diet, safe cage and plenty of love changed that. The swelling on his spine began to go down and he recovered a bit of movement. Granted, it is no where near normal movement, but to go from NONE to some is HUGE! THERE IS HOPE for these gliders. DO NOT ever let anyone talk you into having them put down. If you cannot handle your glider's physical needs or the financial obligations that come with owning a special needs glider, contact me. I am happy to take all the little "special needs" gliders at any time.

VET CHECK: It is IMPERATIVE that any paralyzed glider be checked by an experienced vet ASAP and that x-rays be taken. There are essentially 3 reasons for paralysis in a glider, the most common being diet. Most of us are familiar with HLP. This is why we are so paranoid about calcium and diet and appropriate ratios and all. MY understanding is that with HLP, the problems slowly grow more severe. This thread is not so much about HLP, as this is not my experience. But, the recommendations are still the same.

When paralysis occurs suddenly, the most common cause is DISEASE (a parasite or bacterial infection). However, there are also those gliders who experience an injury leaving them paralyzed forever. This is my experience with Jackie Chan. The difference in these etiologies can only be determined by x-ray. Once you have a good x-ray, you have a starting point. It was from the x-ray that we located the point where Jackie's spine was separated and we were also able to observe bowel and bladder function. DON'T SKIP THE X-RAY! Also, you will know from there whether improvement is likely. Realize that many gliders improve significantly.

HOUSING: A paralyzed glider will require special housing and toys. A truely paralyzed glider will not be able to monitor his/her back limbs for injury. They are at VERY HIGH risk of injury (esp. dislocation and abrasion) from dragging their legs around. A low profile cage is a MUST. A glider with loss of the use of even one limb is at risk for falls and further injury. With paralysis, this risk is even greater. A glider could fall, break a leg but be unable to feel it so show no signs/symptoms and then develop a life-threatening infection. So, the risk of falling MUST be minimized. I recommend a cage NO TALLER than 2 feet (18 inches is even better). It is best with paralyzed gliders to go OUT rather than UP. Still provide lots of space, just not vertical space. Also, cage bars, esp. at the bottom, should be covered to prevent legs falling through or getting hung up. Believe it or not, fleece has not proven to be the best here. When I was using fleece, Jackie's back legs go caught (even with clipped nails) FREQUENTLY and he would just drag the fleece with him, thereby exposing the bars again. You could anchor the fleece to the sides of the cage, but this will not eliminate the "getting caught." What I found works very well is VELUX. I bought a Velux blanket from Wal-Mart and cut it to fit. It works beautifully! I even made pouches and some toys with it.

As for toys and sleeping pouches, there are SO MANY toys and things that can be modified for these guys. Remember, they are dragging their back side, so everything should be LOW. They should be able to just crawl/drag themself into the sleeping quarters. I have been experimenting with a wide variety of items for sleeping, but basically any thing that allows for them to feel secure, is indeed safe for them, and that they can just walk into is GREAT! Jackie is currently sleeping in a tee-pee/tent like pouch I made that is full of blankies. He loves it. WITH toys you have to be sure that ANY toy that might catch a toe, a tail or a leg or tangle them up is used only under supervision. With Jackie, I leave in his cage only fleecy toys and a few plastic toys that have no holes or places to catch himself on.

EXERCISE: As with all gliders, daily exercise and socialization are imperative. I do NOT do tent time with Jackie because I don't want him to climb and our tent is so small that UP is about the only way to go. Plus, it is very tempting to him. Remember, a paralyzed glider still WANTS to climb, so they are counting on you to keep them safe. I do take Jackie in the bathroom and I provide TONS of toys and foraging opportunities for him. We are slowly introducing a wheel (the silent spinner because it is solid and easy to enter) during supervised play. BUT, I would not leave a wheel in his cage. TOO MANY opportunities for injury there. These gliders still love to play and they are still very curious. BE CREATIVE. It is important that you treat them as normal as possible. ANy activity your other gliders do can probably be modified. But, your paralyzed glider's safety comes first.

BONDING: Not much difference in bonding with a paralyzed glider. Follow the same steps. It is IMPORTANT, however, that these guys be thoroughly checked over daily for sores, SM and other injury they may have sustained. ALSO, when your glider is ready to begin climbing all over you as his/her "human tree" be VERY cautious. They may get themelves up OK, but once a paralyzed glider begins to climb down, his back side - which is not anchored or holding on - will likely flip over his front side causing him to fall. Don't want that.

POTTY TIME: A glider who is paralyzed from the waist down will likely have no bowel and bladder control. This means that they will just lose the overflow. Therefore, they will forever go potty in their pouches and on you. Simply, when the bladder is full, any new urine added will spill out. Same with the bowel. It is the unfortunate, but essential, task of glider owners to examine poop and pee daily. These guys will FOREVER be at HIGH risk for UTI. And,since they don't feel anything, you cannot wait for hissing as a sign. Your first sign that there may be a problem will be a change in smell (so, yes, you have to smell the cage liner and pouches - I know, YUCK. But, we do what we have to do for our suggies, don't we?). As in Jackie's case, you may find that you have to do rotations of antibiotics (we do two weeks off, one week on currently) to combat infection. Remember, urine is constantly sitting in the bladder. Not such a good thing. This also makes diet very important (as it is with any glider). don't be afraid to give a little cranberry juice from time to time. I keep one water bottle with a mix of juice and water in the cage on the weeks we are off medication. Always keep fresh, purified water available.

SOCIALIZATION: With Any glider, there is a risk of rejection from peers. Gliders are like people - some just don't get along. BUT, as long as you treat your paralyzed glider as normally as possible, the chances are good that he/she will be accepted by another glider. I was lucky with Jackie Chan because my Sassy loved him from afar until she got the opportunity to run across the room to his cage. They have been together since and are a great, sweet couple. ABSOLUTELY your paralyzed glider can find a cage mate. jump

TO NEUTER OR NOT TO NEUTER: That is the question with your paralyzed boy. The best advice I can give is to follow your vet's recommendation. For Jackie, it was felt that the surgery could cause him to begin SMing. It is true that even though they cannot engage in the physical act, they do have hormonal issues. So, keep this in mind when attempting to put them with another male. This did become a source of emergency treatment for Jackie because he began SMing on his pom-pom. So, it had to be removed. ALSO, paralyzed gliders STINK! Please have no delusions about this. The boys still have scent glands, and they mark a bit more than my other boys ever did. Also, they are constantly dragging themselves through urine and feces, so that smell is added to the musky smell. Jackie required a daily wipe down with warm water (if you do this, keep them NEXT TO YOU until he/she is COMPLETELY dry!). The smell was lessened with appropriate diet and even further so with the neuter. However, Jackie still smells. He can't help it. This is a result of paralysis. Having a cage mate has helped some in that she does groom him for me. laugh Usually, these are the things we do to eliminate smell, but with the paralyzed glider, we cannot keep them out of their urine - not to mention that Jackie regularly drags himself through the food bowl or across food on the cage liner, etc. In the end, I would recommend neutering.

Anything else I am forgetting to mention?

Last edited by jasminejadesmom; 06/23/07 10:17 AM. Reason: correct spelling error

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Permanent Paralysis - Experience with Jackie Chan [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #321790
06/22/07 11:06 PM
06/22/07 11:06 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
WOW! Thank You so much for putting alot of work into this post. This is wonderful information and we appreciate the time that you spent putting it together for others to learn!
Good Job! clap

Re: Permanent Paralysis - Experience with Jackie Chan [Re: LSardou] #321794
06/22/07 11:09 PM
06/22/07 11:09 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
WOW!! Thanks for your time to put all this together. Not only will it help others that may come along in need, but it is also a very good educational piece just for others to read and learn.

Miss E, I know you arent a fan of stickys, but this sure would be a good one to keep. Think we can?

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Permanent Paralysis - Experience with Jackie Chan [Re: Srlb] #321799
06/22/07 11:15 PM
06/22/07 11:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great job Val!

Re: Permanent Paralysis - Experience with Jackie Chan [Re: ] #321806
06/22/07 11:23 PM
06/22/07 11:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you so much for all of the time you put into this ! After reading it I have come to the decision that I want this little guy even more ! I think we can handle him and all of his needs !

Re: Permanent Paralysis - Experience with Jackie Chan [Re: ] #321837
06/22/07 11:46 PM
06/22/07 11:46 PM
Texas
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
OH! That makes me so happy! jump

I really want people to know that there are challenges, but each comes with rewards ten-fold! I wouldn't give up Jackie for all the money in the world!!!

I really hoped that this would help someone. Bourbon had said it may be 2 years down the road before anyone needs this info. and I was willing to do it then. WHo knew it would be useful so soon?!

As always, I am available to answer questions or bounce ideas off of.... OH, and I am, of course, willing to talk about Jackie anytime roflmao

I will try to update as I learn more.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

Re: Permanent Paralysis - Experience with Jackie Chan [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #321866
06/23/07 12:07 AM
06/23/07 12:07 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
North_Nocturne Offline
Glider Lover
North_Nocturne  Offline
Glider Lover

Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks so much for posting this. I know it will be helpful not only to parents of paralyzed gliders, but also so many gliders with different types of special needs. Up until a couple years ago I had a paralyzed dog and there are always problems and issues to address that you just can't imagine unless you've been through the experience of caring for a physically disabled pet.

Elizabeth
gliders. Nocturne & Lark
Re: Permanent Paralysis - Experience with Jackie Chan [Re: North_Nocturne] #322023
06/23/07 06:02 AM
06/23/07 06:02 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
I hope this does get put into a Sticky post! It's not often (Thank God) that we come across a paralyzed glider, so when it does happen, the info needs to be right up front without hunting it down. When we have a problem with a glider, we tend to panic at times and finding this info fast can really help!

Thank you for posting all this information and Thank YOU for taking in Jackie Chan! He sounds like a fighter and a sweetheart and so do YOU!!

We also have 2 gliders with amputations and physical disabilities. I've learned SO MUCH since they adopted me 1 1/2 yrs. ago. They are 8 years old and doing great. Our little girl has had bouts of roundworms that keep recurring and one needs to realize that with special needs gliders, you must be ready to run to the vet's office or hospital on a seconds notice and have the money ready to do so. It's hard at times but well worth the love and trust they show smile

God Bless!

Last edited by SugarBlossoms; 06/23/07 06:06 AM. Reason: add info

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Permanent Paralysis - Experience with Jackie Chan [Re: SugarBlossoms] #322324
06/23/07 03:55 PM
06/23/07 03:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Val was nice enough to check on me today to see if I got to bring home my little paralyzed guy who was to be named Ralphy. Sadly this was my response and I just though I would share with anyone else who was wondering if I got to bring him home.
To Val-A few minutes ago.
Sadly no ! I have sitting here crying trying to get myself together to come tell everyone. I already had a cage together for him with only velux blankets, pouches and toys. I even made a vet appointment for him yesterday for Monday hoping he would be ours. I stayed up all night making him no sew pouches and now I can have him. Another family got him before I could and now hes gone. This morning after I found out I packed everything I made him in a box and I sent it to the lady who was giving him away. I asked her to please give it to the family that has him now. I hope they will take care of him better than I could.

Re: Permanent Paralysis - Experience with Jackie Chan [Re: ] #322484
06/23/07 08:32 PM
06/23/07 08:32 PM
Texas
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
cry cry cry hug2

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318

Re: Permanent Paralysis - Experience with Jackie Chan [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #322871
06/24/07 12:32 PM
06/24/07 12:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Val, thank you so much for being here for me ! I was really looking forward to sharing this experience with you ! You have more than kind ! I am really hoping I will get the chance to take on another glider that needs me, may be one day I will. I would love to see pictures of Jackie Chan if you don't mind, also I would like to do something special for him so please PM me is favorite toy or pouch(Even a sissy !) , I would love to send him a present ! Thank you again for sharing such wonderful advice for me and please keep us posted on Jackie Chan, I would love to hear more about him !

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 422 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,580 TEXAS
679,078 OHIO
487,159 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,689 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024