Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams #338845
07/14/07 07:38 PM
07/14/07 07:38 PM

M
Melissa2721
Unregistered
Melissa2721
Unregistered
M

Hi, I would like to start off by saying thank you to all of the people that truly care about gliders health and wellbeing. I would also like to say that this bored can sometimes seem like a high school popularity contest and I for one could not care less if I am considered the least popular one here ! vet visits are VERY important for the wellbeing of any pet specifically exotic pets. We are still learning so much about gliders and I feel it is very important to take them to a vet on a yearly basis and to keep an emergency vet fund. I am sorry if you can not afford vet bills but if that is the case, you should not have a pet until you can better afford to take care of them. Now I'm sure many of you want to tell me how rude/insensitive I am being and if that is true, go right ahead. You wont be hurting my feelings but do what is right for your animal or don't have one ! thanks

Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: ] #338856
07/14/07 08:04 PM
07/14/07 08:04 PM

T
TingALing
Unregistered
TingALing
Unregistered
T

just because someone does not run, run, run, to a vet DOES NOT mean the animal is not cared for properly. considering when I took my suggie to a vet and he asked me why I thought she had a U.T.I.... well I knew because of the information I obtained here. she was hissing when trying to pass urine and was only passing a very small amount and in obviously in pain. This is an EXOCTIC vet. and the same vet service I use for all my animals, so I trust them. they are SELDOM called to my farm for my horses.Does that make me a bad person?? what you don't know about me is the vet is not called because my husband had several years of veterinary training but never went back to school due to circumstances in his life at the time. so we handle most situations ourselves if we have the knowledge. He saved the life of my beloved horse I raised from a baby...if the vet had been called she would have been DESTROYED on the spot!!! and by the grace of God and a will to live she not only survived the incident of nearly severing the foot, you never would know she was so gravely injured if I did not point out the scar. so in this case, does not running right to the phone to call that vet make me a bad person???

Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: ] #339093
07/15/07 01:32 AM
07/15/07 01:32 AM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
I dont agree...maybe for exotics. but not for horses, dogs, cats. We have hardly ever taken are animals to the vet (We believe in natural cures) and they have all lived HEALTHY long lives.

However I do get a yearly vet check for my suggies. I dont think it is necessary, really but i do feel until i know more about these little creatures that I need to continue with yearly vet checks smile

Valorie and our 10 fur children

RIP Mary Kate
Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: MizValorie] #339101
07/15/07 01:41 AM
07/15/07 01:41 AM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Not everyone's beliefs are the same.

As long as an animal is healthy, it really should be up to the animal's owner to care for it.

In cases of animal abuse - everyone needs to step in right away!

But animals, like people, can be healthy without ever seeing a vet. And animals, like people, don't become healthy just because they see the vet!

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: ValkyrieMome] #339107
07/15/07 01:53 AM
07/15/07 01:53 AM

P
partyofsix
Unregistered
partyofsix
Unregistered
P

We are supposed to go the doctor once a year. I only go when I'm sick and even then I'll try to wait it out as long as I can. My kids on the other hand do go to the doctor once a year.
Since sugar gliders hide their illnesses well they can be sick for a very long time without you even knowing it. For this reason a vet check once a year is reccomended. I like to take mine every six months because I am a worry wort. lol Do to money being really tight though I'm probably only going to be able to do once a year.

Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: jannee66] #339113
07/15/07 01:59 AM
07/15/07 01:59 AM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
Ok, I was going to stay out of this post, but I can't help myself.

I feel that if you can't afford gliders, you shouldn't have them. If you can't properly care for your animals, you don't need to have them. It isn't fair to them. My gliders come first in my home. They can't decide where they live or anything else. When I brought them into my home, my life changed to suit theirs.

I'm not saying that people who don't take their gliders to the vet don't care about their gliders, just that they aren't putting the gliders needs first.

As far as a vet visit costing $1000...That's ridiculous. I just had a vet visit for 3 gliders. $118. That included Fecals on all 3, the general checkup fee for all 3, and medicine for Tiki's pouch infection. No where NEAR $1000.

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist
Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: jannee66] #339157
07/15/07 02:32 AM
07/15/07 02:32 AM
Long Island, NY
gliderdad79 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
gliderdad79  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Long Island, NY
Everyone does have their own beliefs and thoughts. We cannot judge or argue with someone for doing something that one may not feel is right. Some people will go twice a year, three times a year, or once. It is up to the owner, the only thing we can do is offer advise. It is up to others to take the advise or leave it.

Eddie

In the Tropics somewhere between the port of indecision and southeast of disorder!

"Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people."

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching!
Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: jannee66] #339164
07/15/07 02:44 AM
07/15/07 02:44 AM

T
TingALing
Unregistered
TingALing
Unregistered
T

I did not mean to imply an animal should not be taken to a vet "just because" or for a yearly exam. I do agree these little ones do need prompt and proper medical care. it just seems like those of us on this forum seem to know more about what is going on then a great number of the veterinarians who we entrust with their care. and when I even suspected my glider was "not right" (after working a 12 hour shift from 7 pm to 7 am) I stayed up made the vet appointment caught a 2 hour nap and had my husband take us to the vet almost an hour away, because the closer branch of thier office did not have an exotic vet on duty that day and I did not want her to go all weekend possibly in pain and /or her condition becoming life threatening.I just wanted to make the statemnet that animals, like children get raised as their parents see fit. and my way even if different then yours may not be any more right or wrong then your way!

Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: LSardou] #339179
07/15/07 03:31 AM
07/15/07 03:31 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
someone not taking their animal to the vet in 7 years ?

Ok, here comes MY input and everyone can take it for what it is worth or throw it out the window.

I've had gliders for 10+ years. Dexter is my oldest glider at 12+ years. He has been to the vet ONCE in his life and that was when I had him neutered. I do not feed one of the "proven" diets but a diet of my own design. I have had over 150 gliders through my home. I have had self mutilators, pregnant gliders with my first set of joeys being triplets (all three thrived without any intervention on my part), injuries (tail amputations). I've had ONE glider die and he died in the parking lot waiting on the vet to arrive. The vet feels it was most likely due to a birth defect although we were unable to have a necropsy done.

There is a lot to be said for experience. I'm NOT saying that gliders SHOULDN'T go for wellness checks. Actually I'm all for them. And I'm not saying I don't take mine in to see the vet. But short of doing fecals and UAs, I can do the same type of visual inspection on my gliders as my vet can. And I do on a weekly, actually on daily basis when I feed them and give them their treats. Again when I trim nails, and again when they are out playing. Actually EVERYTIME I see them I check out their over all appearance. To me, that is one of the automatic things I do just like changing their water each day. I would not hesitate to run to the vet at signs of anything amiss. For those that are new to gliders, definatly I feel they should have those wellness checks. They should discuss with their vet all the signs of both healthy gliders AND potentially ill ones. Often we won't see the signs of illness but we will notice when they don't look as healthy as the day before.

To say someone should not own animals because of vet visits or lack of them, is rediculous.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: Dancing] #339180
07/15/07 03:34 AM
07/15/07 03:34 AM

H
hockeyplayer187
Unregistered
hockeyplayer187
Unregistered
H

Quote:
Ok, here comes MY input and everyone can take it for what it is worth or throw it out the window.

I've had gliders for 10+ years. Dexter is my oldest glider at 12+ years. He has been to the vet ONCE in his life and that was when I had him neutered. I do not feed one of the "proven" diets but a diet of my own design. I have had over 150 gliders through my home. I have had self mutilators, pregnant gliders with my first set of joeys being triplets (all three thrived without any intervention on my part), injuries (tail amputations). I've had ONE glider die and he died in the parking lot waiting on the vet to arrive. The vet feels it was most likely due to a birth defect although we were unable to have a necropsy done.

There is a lot to be said for experience. I'm NOT saying that gliders SHOULDN'T go for wellness checks. Actually I'm all for them. And I'm not saying I don't take mine in to see the vet. But short of doing fecals and UAs, I can do the same type of visual inspection on my gliders as my vet can. And I do on a weekly, actually on daily basis when I feed them and give them their treats. Again when I trim nails, and again when they are out playing. Actually EVERYTIME I see them I check out their over all appearance. To me, that is one of the automatic things I do just like changing their water each day. I would not hesitate to run to the vet at signs of anything amiss. For those that are new to gliders, definatly I feel they should have those wellness checks. They should discuss with their vet all the signs of both healthy gliders AND potentially ill ones. Often we won't see the signs of illness but we will notice when they don't look as healthy as the day before.

To say someone should not own animals because of vet visits or lack of them, is rediculous.

Wow Dancing that was excellent, and no one should throw this out the window. clap

Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: ] #339228
07/15/07 09:44 AM
07/15/07 09:44 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
I don't think it was because of vet visits or the lack, but being able to afford a vet. I am not trying to cause a stir here, so don't beat me up, jmho. But if one has any animal, they need to be able to afford vet care, because we all know emergencies can and do happen. That is at least how I took it to be meant, maybe I am wrong. I have taken most of mine in for wellness exams (as they came from not great situations, on bad diets, etc and it was not just to make sure they were healthy for themselves, but my others here.)

But I also agree, with experience, you can tell alot by watching your gliders very closely.

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: pappy1264] #339234
07/15/07 10:13 AM
07/15/07 10:13 AM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
Mary is right. I never said that people shouldn't own gliders if they don't take them to the vet. I said people shouldn't own gliders (or ANY pet) if they can't afford them. It isn't fair to the animal.

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist
Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: pappy1264] #339241
07/15/07 10:38 AM
07/15/07 10:38 AM

P
PeeperKeeper
Unregistered
PeeperKeeper
Unregistered
P

As for vet visits, here is my experience:

First, when my gliders were so sick last year, I was in nearly constant contact with not only my vets (two of them, one exotic and one not), but Peggy's as well (Dr. Tristan), taking them in for fecals, talking to the vets on the phone to discuss theories on what was wrong, etc. I don't think Peepers would have made it otherwise, and I've had this "back of my mind" or "deep in my heart" feeling ever since that we may have been able to save Jeepers if I had taken her to the real exotic vet instead of my friend/dog-and-cat vet first. Even with a necropsy Jeeper's death is still a mystery not because the nec didn't find anything but because it found multiple things, so I guess we'll never know.

Secondly, routine care didn't really save anybody, but gave some very valuable information. Peepers had been well for well over a month from her trichomonad illness (Jeepers had passed right before Peeps got sick) when I got Piper. She had finished an extended course of metronidazole, was free of diarrhea and tested clean on fecals run immediately after she finished the metro as well as right before I went to get Piper. Less than a week after I brought Piper home, I took both her and Peepers in for a well check for Piper (including fecal) and another fecal for Peeps. Both were completely fine. One week later Piper began having soft but not runny poo. I took her in and she tested positive for trichomonads! I had not even introduced them and while they were in the same room, it was in separate cages across the room from each other. I have/had no other gliders!

I'm not sure if this is an argument for doing the routine care of taking them in for well checks or an arguement that it didn't do any good. But I sure was glad I had done it or I would have felt terribly guilty for getting Piper sick. Since I did do all that I could, I may have been worried out of my mind, but I knew I'd been a good glider mom and that helped so much! Sometimes routine care is as much for the owner who cares as it is for the glider. How many of us have been a little worried and taken them in just to be told they were fine? Maybe they were or maybe they did end up getting sicker, but I for one have been glad when I've made such trips to the vet.

All of that being said, I also agree with Teresa that a very experienced glider owner knows when it's time for a vet check. I will probably continue to take them in for well checks at least for the next few years and especially if I get a new glider. But that's just because I've become paranoid about the whole parasites thing and it makes me feel better to have a vet tell me that they've checked and at least as far as they can tell, everything's okay.

No, vets don't know everything. For many of the questions I had when Peepers was sick, the answer was just "I'm sorry but we just don't know that much about these little guys." I think taking them in for vet checks helps the vets know more and therefore in the long run helps the gliders.

Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: princessmegi] #339243
07/15/07 10:55 AM
07/15/07 10:55 AM
NJ
JayAndDiana Offline
Glider Slave
JayAndDiana  Offline
Glider Slave

NJ
okay.. here's my2 cents.. I have had my gliders for just over a year and a half. I had a vet for my lil guys.. didn't do a wellness vet check. I have an emergecy vet fund set aside for both my suggies and my cat. I am prepared!

I had to bring my guy Gizzy in for a SM wound that got infected. She had to sedate him to clean it out..when he awoke and I got him back, she had stitched him!! YES- she said she had worked with suggies and was a qualified exotics vet. Since I was bringing him in basically for a check up and meds, they said don't worry about the ecollar. Well, Gizzy ripped out the stitches by the time we got home and he passed soon after. I WAS SO UPSET! I complained to the head vet who I personally know- explained what happened and i said the exotics vet didn't help do an ecollar for the way home. He rest assured that nothing like this would happen again..right- cause I found a new vet who I interviewed an hour on the phone. He has experience doing wellness checks and neuters- sees a suggie everyother month.. fine for me. If anyone knows a better vet in NJ/NY boarder, pm me and let me know how qualied they are..

Since that day, I check my suggies everytime I handle then. If I notice something wrong, they will go to the vet, like needing meds for a uti or a cut/injury that needes treatment/meds or if I can tell something is wrong/poss. getting sick (have that "gut feeling" something isn't right). Otherwise, I know my suggies well enough to tell if there is something wrong.. I trust I know when to go and won't risk my suggies life to a "professional" just to have them die in my hands an hour later.. for no reason!! I know I should have specified don't do this and blah blah to the vet.. but, when she said she was going to clean the wound, I figured she knew not to stitch.. sorry this is long, but this is why I feel the way I do..

~Diana: mom to Travis (10/24/08)
4 suggies
1 Big ol' Maine coon Cat: Boots
75 gal salt water reeftank

gangel Gizzy
Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: Vincent] #339256
07/15/07 11:50 AM
07/15/07 11:50 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
If you can't afford the vet-you shouldn't own a glider. Yes, I know trouble can come up. Work problems, illnesses, etc. I would HIGHLY recommend a Care Credit card, even if you never use it, to ANY glider owner. Have a backup-parent's, friends, whatever that you can call on in a crisis.

I have been to the vet more times than I can count, and spent thousands in the last 5 1/2 years. With rescues, that's what happens. With mill bred gliders, that happens. And NOTHING says that a well bred glider will not get a UTI, will not develop cancer, will not avoid a lot of pitfalls. Did I plan on this? NO. Do I sometimes wish I could spend the few hundred for 5 teeth extracted on some new clothes, when I'm wearing stuff 5-10 years old? You bet.

Did I always have the money? NO. I have eaten more Top Ramen than I EVER want to remember. I have BEGGED a vet to give me until the end of the calendar day to borrow what I needed once. I took out a line of Care Credit on the spot (the vet's office can apply online for you IMMEDIATELY) when a $260 day turned into an $856.00 surgery in March (when I first learned about it) and I STILL lost my Chronos. It is interest free if you pay the first charge on time, and from there on out. You can take up to a year. I only learned about it shortly before I critically needed it. If your vet doesn't take it...talk them into it. It is not a Visa or Master Card, and different rules apply, even if your credit is not so great.

Here is what my take is on wellness checks:

IF you KNOW your glider: in all it's moods, all the "off" days, what without a doubt is normal and what is not, go for a check every 6 months.

IF you do NOT know your glider that well, every 3, provided there are no symptoms or disturbing behavior.

What is unforgivable, and considered abject neglect? When you KNOW something's wrong, and let the animal suffer. IF you have a broken bone, and say: "I can't AFFORD a vet right now. "I can't afford it " is NOT an excuse for causing pain, suffering, or neglect to ANY living thing. Would you take your spouse or child to the doctor if something was seriously wrong or life threatening? Would you bully a doctor into treatment? If the case is that you won't fight for your animal, "can't" provide medical care...GIVE it to someone who can. Not sell, not barter or trade....GIVE.

If you can't provide vet care, give it up.

I've also seen those who didn't know something was wrong, sought vet care immediately when they did, and still lost the glider. It happens. Gliders HIDE their illnesses until it is nearly too late, which is what makes knowing them SO important. They are WILD ANIMALS with all the instincts that go with it...including " a sick glider is a DEAD glider in the wild". It can make it difficult to tell if there is something wrong or not, especially if you do not know your animal, and what to look for. That is different altogether from neglect, and you have a very short time to act in.

A glider's life is still a LIFE. Why is it any less valuable that a person's? Their soul is worth no less than yours. A person's "enjoyment" of their "company" is NOT worth their life, any more than it is worth yours.

My cost for a wellness check is around $50 - $60, including urine and fecals. I have 10 gliders and don't make a ton of money. I'm not even middle income. Is that CD, DVD, or steak for dinner truly more important than your glider's life? If you can answer yes.....

I don't think I need to continue that sentence.

Last edited by Xfilefan; 07/15/07 11:52 AM.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: Xfilefan] #339261
07/15/07 12:08 PM
07/15/07 12:08 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Originally Posted By: Xfilefan

A glider's life is still a LIFE. Why is it any less valuable that a person's? Their soul is worth no less than yours. A person's "enjoyment" of their "company" is NOT worth their life, any more than it is worth yours.

clap Beautifully said! Ditto!!!

Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: LSardou] #339277
07/15/07 12:43 PM
07/15/07 12:43 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
I agree with Teresa and Jen. Vincent, I have no idea where you got the $1000 number. An annual exam should only be about $40, including fecals. When I got over my head, was when I had 4 of them go at the same time. Surgery, daily visits, emergency vet, necropsy's. Check for the third glider in the cage, etc, we hit $2400. Thank GOD for credit cards. Now I have a card that is glider specific. But, yes, you should have the ability to take your glider to the vet at any time. No matter what. However, if you know your gliders, and have dealt with them and can do the visuals and know whats being looked for, then I don't see why you "have to" take them to the vet every 6 months to a year. However, like Jen said, if you are new, or have only had a pair or your own pets and they've never been ill, you don't have that experience. Experience is just that, what you've experienced.

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: USMom] #339287
07/15/07 01:24 PM
07/15/07 01:24 PM

C
CJMeisch7309
Unregistered
CJMeisch7309
Unregistered
C

Wow, someone really stirred the pot!

I believe Vincent's $1000 number came from exactly that, the one time occasion where something is REALLY wrong and a few procedures are needed that add up quickly. I'm very sure he wasnt referring ONLY to wellness checkups. I think some of the very protective (not saying in a bad way) suggie parents just kinda jumped on him for that.

That being said, I agree with Theresa and Jen. Being that people are educated, and especially people who are educated from this site, I believe good parents will use discretion. All these taken in account for, and judgements made with their babies best interests in mind. smile

Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: princessmegi] #339311
07/15/07 02:16 PM
07/15/07 02:16 PM

M
Melissa2721
Unregistered
Melissa2721
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: princessmegi
Ok, I was going to stay out of this post, but I can't help myself.

I feel that if you can't afford gliders, you shouldn't have them. If you can't properly care for your animals, you don't need to have them. It isn't fair to them. My gliders come first in my home. They can't decide where they live or anything else. When I brought them into my home, my life changed to suit theirs.

I'm not saying that people who don't take their gliders to the vet don't care about their gliders, just that they aren't putting the gliders needs first.

As far as a vet visit costing $1000...That's ridiculous. I just had a vet visit for 3 gliders. $118. That included Fecals on all 3, the general checkup fee for all 3, and medicine for Tiki's pouch infection. No where NEAR $1000.

I completly agree !

Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: jannee66] #339353
07/15/07 03:46 PM
07/15/07 03:46 PM

L
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered
L

yea, JANEE, well put. I am in a similar situation as you. I can't AFFORD a lot of thing, but there are always some ways to make up for it. Some of us work multiple jobs, or give up the nights out the eat, or whatever - but there must be a way to make things happen.

Jen makes a GREAT point.. the Care Credit is the most amazing program EVER. I unfortuantely have bad credit and was denied (stupid ex boyfriend) BUT i do have a credit card that i do not use unless i need it for a vet visit. Even if its just a $500 with a $76 annual fee, get it. It could keep your pets ALIVE! I have my [censored] high interest credit card with crazy annual fees, but iw ould rather pay my $76 a year, but out 2 dinners at TGI Fridays and make sure that if ANY of my 10 animals (not all suggies) need a vet, there are funds there.

It also never hurts to have a good relationship with your vet. If you pay on time all the time, and they get to know you, they CAN give you a break on how long they allow to pay on their bills. The 2 vets around here are cash on site ALL THE TIME, but there was one time where my cat NEEDED to be seen, and the vet stayed AFTER HOURS to see me, AND didnt make me pay on site.. IT will never hurt to ask. First go in and get treated, THEN figure the money out.. but if you have it figured out ahead of time, it makes life a lot easier.

Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: ] #339359
07/15/07 03:51 PM
07/15/07 03:51 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Melissa, no flak is intended. hug2 I think the point is-if you do have gliders, and insist you can afford them, but they don't go to the vet, sick or not, because you say you can't-either find a way, or they shouldn't be there. Some of us just get a bit elaborate about saying it, but theres the short form. All we're doing is reinforcing your point with a LOT of words, in different ways. I'm glad you started the thread, and we're not trying to take away from it-only give differing reinforcement to your point. Does that make sense?

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: Dancing] #339365
07/15/07 03:58 PM

M
Melissa2721
Unregistered
Melissa2721
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: Dancing

I do not think so at all. you may no what to look for but no you cant do fecal exams and a lot of people here may not know exactly what to look for. The fact is if any of you were qualified to be a vet, you would be. You aren't and that is why I don't think you looking your glider over is sufficient enough.
Even if they did get PERFECT care from you why would you suggest to others here that yearly exams are not needed ? some of you may know what your doing in terms of health care for your gliders but not everyone here does, so by making yearly check ups seems so unimportant, other gliders may be suffering.

AND for the record, all 17 of my animals see the vet ONCE a year, and I do have an emergency vet fund with a significant amount of money in it for EMERGENCIES. Currently it is down $450 from my new rescue dogs emergency procedure and the first thing I will do with my next check is replace that money.

Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: jannee66] #339366
Long Island, NY
gliderdad79 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
gliderdad79  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Long Island, NY
I have already stated you cannot judge someone else's beliefs. You are all starting to get out of hand here. This is not Drama as one stated above, it is a discussion. If you feel you need to continue to cross the line and break the rule, please feel free to contact one of the admin for time out. This is a discussion, keep it civil or it will be closed and violations will be dealt with.

Eddie

In the Tropics somewhere between the port of indecision and southeast of disorder!

"Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people."

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching!
Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: ] #339379
07/15/07 04:11 PM
07/15/07 04:11 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
Even if they did get PERFECT care from you why would you suggest to others here that yearly exams are not needed ?

I absolutely did NOT suggest for people to not take their gliders to the vet for check ups. I actually said, for those with little experience, I do encourage it.

My point was, don't judge others based on your own experience levels. I know that even MY vet, who is one of the top in the country has called me for medical advice with gliders. Each of the 3 glider vets I use discusses with me not only treatments but ASKS for my suggestions based on MY knowledge of MY gliders. I know several other's who work with vets when trying to treat illnesses/injuries because often it is the owners who have the needed experience to go along with the medical degree. It has to be a team effort.

There are many vets that will see and treat gliders but few of those HAVE gliders and live with them day to day. Because of this, their knowledge is sometimes LESS with gliders specifically than those that have them. Again, it has to be a team effort.

We each have our own view on this and that's great. If anyone chooses to take their gliders in monthly for wellness exams, that's fantastic too.

Oh, and just for the record. For me, the cost of the vet has absolutely NO bearing on the topic. Spryte broke her leg and I did not hesitate to spend the $600+ on her vet bills to save her leg (even though amputation would have been less than half that amount).

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: gliderdad79] #339380
07/15/07 04:13 PM
07/15/07 04:13 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Eddie's right. This can be a discussion without getting ugly or slinging mud, and is valuable advice.

Quote:
I do not think so at all. you may no what to look for but no you cant do fecal exams and a lot of people here may not know exactly what to look for.

You are right. I will admit mine don't go in as often as I'd like, but all of them do go in at least once a year. For several, they are there so much already that well checks are redundant, since they were just in a month ago. Even though I've been through a ton of serious issues, there are still areas I know I don't know well. One of the reasons my girls in particular get their checks regularly...

I DON'T know how to see an early stage pouch infection. None of mine have ever had one at all. And I'd prefer one be caught early, than the glider possibly suffer chronic reinfection with one gone out of control before I knew it was there.

Unless there's facial swelling, I can't see a bad tooth (I'd rather it didn't get to that point, and I learned with Lyah that ANY time I take one in, teeth get checked, too-thoroughly).

Early stage UTIs or parasites, liver enzymes that should not be present in urine or feces, small amounts of blood, ketones that could indicate infection in an organ or diabetes, can show up on routine testing long before you have a noticeable problem, when there is NO unusual behavior yet at all.

That's just a few example of why, no matter how much you've seen, there is no replacement for a complete well check.

Add to that the fact that unlike most animals we are used to, gliders hide things so well for so long, that if it gets bad on a Sunday morning-where are you going to go? By Monday, it could be too late, depending on the issue. I'd speculate that fully half of GC's members do not have a vet they can go to at 2am or the weekend on a moment's notice, money or no.

That's not to say a wellcheck will prevent all emergencies-it won't. But a lot of members have posted that "I took so and so in for a check and guess what they found? I had no idea!"

Add to that that if an infection establishes itself to well, it can become chronic and recurring...especially UTIs and mouth problems. Then your pocketbook and the glider both suffer.

Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: ] #339411
07/15/07 05:00 PM
07/15/07 05:00 PM
Virginia Beach, VA.
Ellen Offline
Owner:Emeritus-Mother Hen
Ellen  Offline
Owner:Emeritus-Mother Hen

Virginia Beach, VA.
You know, if we were all sitting around in a room together we would see things differently as we can't see expressions or hear tones of voices. That makes a difference. I know one year at the SGGA there were alot of us in a room talking about the same subjects and a few more that could have been volital. BUT because we were talking it was great to hear everyones opinions.

So keep in mind when we have a discussion like this it is hard to read peoples tones.

I think we can all learn from each other. These little ones are too important to argue over.

I love to see how everyone is different. So lets help each other so we can help our gliders.

Love and kindness is a gift. Use it freely....
My Gallery
Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: ] #339412
07/15/07 05:02 PM
07/15/07 05:02 PM
Maryland
Holly1221 Offline
Glider Slave
Holly1221  Offline
Glider Slave

Maryland
[font:comic sans ms]ok you guys ALL need to chill out. go take a break. go look at what is important to you whether it be your gliders, other pets or your children. while i have read this post i choose to remain objective.

yes, our pets need to get seen by a vet but when is up to each && every individual owner. sure there are some of us who haven't taken our pets to a vet in years && they may be healthy. i'm sure we all know somebody who hasn't seen that doctor or dentist in 30 years && is healthy as a horse (no pun intended) but there are some people who are sick && refuse to go.

i'll be the 1st to admit that i don't always go to the doctor when i should && you know what ? it's nearly cost me my life b4 so i've learned my lesson.

if you know your animal so well that's great. but lets not say we know what's best for everybody other than ourselves, children && animals.

bottom line: FREE WILL

every1 is entitled to thier own opinion. they are also entitled to their beliefs. lets leave it at that. [/font]

Last edited by Holly1221; 07/15/07 05:04 PM.

Holly & Jeff heart
Misos Phoenix Keegan Knuckles // Asa Etienne Kyrian // Cheyenne Peyton Godiva

RIP my sweet gangel babies, mommy loves you!
Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: Ellen] #339415
07/15/07 05:08 PM
07/15/07 05:08 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Isn't that the truth, Miss E? At the SGGAs, you have people that have been at war with each other on different boards, or polar opposites in posts/threads, discussing things in a civilized fashion-the same things that got so bitter in type they had to be pulled or closed, to the loss of all.

Tone of voice is impossible to type...smileys can help soften tone, especially if something isn't coming out quite right, lol. smile Agreeing to disagree sometimes for the sake of an informative thread can be one of the best things to learn. If you feel real strongly about it, nothing says another thread with the opposite point of view can't be started, to voice that set of opinions.

Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: ] #339428
07/15/07 05:22 PM
07/15/07 05:22 PM
Phoenix, Arizona!!
BlndGrl8 Offline
Glider Slave
BlndGrl8  Offline
Glider Slave

Phoenix, Arizona!!
Originally Posted By: Melissa2721
Vet visits are VERY important for the wellbeing of any pet specifically exotic pets. We are still learning so much about gliders and I feel it is very important to take them to a vet on a yearly basis and to keep an emergency vet fund. I am sorry if you can not afford vet bills but if that is the case, you should not have a pet until you can better afford to take care of them.

Melissa I TOTALLY agree with you! That was very well put and I think we all need to take our babies in to get yearly exams! Gliders hide their illnesses well, so what we might see as them being healthy, a vet might catch something that is not healthy. They might catch a sign or symptom we might not know to look for! It is also very important to watch our gliders and pay attention to their behavior! My suggie Sparkles has had a few UTI's (It could have been just one that wasn't cleared up with the first medicine) and I would not have know that she had it if I hadn't have watched her pee and listened to her hiss. If I wasn't around while she was doing it, I would probably still think she was fine! I'm glad I paid attention to her signs and symptoms and then took action right away so she can get better! (Still a few more days on meds, then she will be done, she's doing great!)
P.S. I haven't read any other replies, so I don't know if this has all been said already! smile

heart Kristin
:glider: Sparkles &
Flower

mlove Loving Husband Christopher
angel Proverbs 3:5,6

Re: Please take your gliders to yearly vet exams [Re: Vincent] #339430
07/15/07 05:27 PM
07/15/07 05:27 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
When I first got involved with sugar gliders I took each to the vet and each of my joeys had a vet visit before they went to new homes. I don't disagree with yearly SG exams, but the problem I see with focusing so much on them is that some people, I think, tend to rely heavily on the once or twice a year 'Everything checks out fine', but what happens the rest of the time? The focus should be on the animals health every day.

There are two vets in my area, both very knowlegable and both think it is unnecessary that I bring all of mine in once a year, so I don't. I, like Dancing, check mine over on a daily basis and thoroughly on a weekly basis. I keep track of weights (which can be a beginning indicator of problems) and hydration levels - I even have charts I fill out every week. I know the ins and outs of their behavior so well that I can tell by the sound of their bark if something is wrong.

The one thing I always told the people that I sold joeys too was; no matter what you are doing or how busy you are- make a point of checking on your SGs every day. Make sure you see them up (get them up if they aren't) and running around. Watch thier food intake, check their hydration regularly, notice any difference in behavior. vet care can do a lot, but only if you are able to notice if something is wrong to begin with. The truth is, there is not a lot of prevetative care to be had at the vets for SGs. The best help (to the vet and the animal) is going to be someone who knows their animals.

I agree that if you can, keep an emergency fund. I actually have a monthly budget for my dog's vet bills because he is sickly, always has been. Did I hope for this for him? No. But do I still love him and think that he needs to be properly cared for? Absolutely, and he is. My oldest SG girl has cancer, it's had its costs, but having her around as long as she is happy and feeling well is worth it to me.

I do think that there are people out there that shouldn't have animals because they can't even afford their basic care requirements (and I say this because I know some of them personally, even some who have SGs). I think this is sad, but I also know these same people do love their animals very much. Things happen; illness, job loss, etc. the sad thing is sometimes people who may try and find a better situation for their animals are bashed because they are 'getting rid of them'. Yet they are also bashed because they keep them in less than ideal conditions thinking the animals would be happier with them, and things will eventually get better (hopefully). It's an unfortunate truth.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there has to be a middle ground. Yearly visits are fine, great even, but it does not take the place of getting to know your animals and their behaviors so that you can be the first line of defense. vets are generlly only used to seeing gliders in such severe circumstances that they don't know the beginning stages like we do, because they don't know our animals like we do. It may take time to figure something out, vets are not infallible - it took 2 years and a lot of testing to figure out Kira's cancer. I do not take my gliders in yearly, but they are in the second I notice something is wrong.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 412 guests, and 97 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,582 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,163 OKLAHOMA
432,165 UTAH
321,693 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024