Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Feeding "other" live food.... #348610
07/27/07 10:35 PM
07/27/07 10:35 PM

K
Kathryn
Unregistered
Kathryn
Unregistered
K

ok... So I've read some threads about feeding some strange things to gliders...

No roaches.. Ewwww, I would never have even tried... To YES! feed them a tiny Lizzard! Yikes! Kind of cool once I started thinking about it??? lol

I was wondering what all you guys have ACTUALLY fed your Gliders personally.

Also... I've read Pinky mice and rats... shock really! I'm all for eating the little guys, but wouldn't that encourage them eating their joeys, or joeys of cage mates since they are small and snack sized??? that whole taste for blood thing???? dunno

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #348614
07/27/07 10:38 PM
07/27/07 10:38 PM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
I've only fed mealies, waxworms (and the moths) and crickets. I just don't want to feed them other animals, even though I guess it's pretty much the same as feeding bugs, but still

And that's a pretty common misconception, sugar gliders to no get a "taste for blood" They can easily tell the difference between a baby mouse and their own baby.

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: glidergrl1513] #348618
07/27/07 10:46 PM
07/27/07 10:46 PM

K
Kathryn
Unregistered
Kathryn
Unregistered
K

I know that they can tell the difference... but will other colony members?? or will they see a snack and grab it?

A baby is a baby? right? I really want to be wrong! lol I just know that some species will eat the young of other mothers. and with all the talk of gliders eating their young and the young of others when in trios and larger colony set ups I just wondered if it might encourage it? Bugs don't have blood.. they are all guts... lol

Know what I mean? Not that I want to rush out and buy a bunch of weird stuff to feed them... lol I'm just really curious... I've been wondering for sometime who really has fed what and if it has affected them...

Last edited by Kathryn; 07/27/07 10:49 PM.
Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #348624
07/27/07 10:51 PM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
Well, here's good news, you probably are wrong! tounge

Pinkies smell like rodents because that's what they are. Joeys don't, the gliders know what they are. Even if they aren't the parents, they won't be encouraged to eat a joey if they are given pinkies.

I think that most people who say that it has happened to them, the gliders would have cannibalized the joeys anyway. They probably wrongly associated the two as being connected, but I really don't think they are. Plenty of breeders feed their pairs and/or family groups pinkies and have no higher cannibalization rates than those who do not feed pinkies.

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #348625

A
aproductof
Unregistered
aproductof
Unregistered
A

Gliders are scent oriented, and know their young from food (pinkies). You can feed them fuzzies or full grown mice, chicks or chicken--none of them are going to make them any more prone to eating their young.
Gliders eat their young when they are die. Yes, they may kill them, but it's generally because the joey is sickly or will become sickly (ie. mom can't produce enough milk). In order to preserve the colony, as a sick member will attract predators, they destroy it. And since a decaying body will attract predators, they eat it. It's not because they like eating the meat of their own kind, it's because nature tells them to protect the colony.

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #348650
07/27/07 11:29 PM
07/27/07 11:29 PM

S
SugarKisses
Unregistered
SugarKisses
Unregistered
S

I think that is what scent marking is for also. So that all the members of the colony will know that they are members of the same colony. females have scent glands in the pouch. with the joey drinking milk from mom they will have her scent. and I am sure the father makes sure that he adds his scent to the joeys. I believe this helps the colony to know that the joey belongs in that colony. dunno

(just my opinion)

Last edited by SugarKisses; 07/27/07 11:30 PM.
Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #348703
07/28/07 12:50 AM
07/28/07 12:50 AM

K
Kathryn
Unregistered
Kathryn
Unregistered
K

ok... so with that established.... THANK YOU!!!

What has everyone actually fed???

Chicks! Really? They would be as big as a glider... lol I can't even picture it!

I'm one of those nature channel people so the thought of watching animals eat other animals does not really upset me... its pretty interesting really. I wonder what they get to hunt in the wild? I wish I could find a special on Gliders!!!! How cool would that be?

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #348704
07/28/07 12:51 AM
07/28/07 12:51 AM

K
Kathryn
Unregistered
Kathryn
Unregistered
K

Oh... and is it "GOOD" for them to eat live food like pinkies and such??

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #348941
07/28/07 02:22 PM
07/28/07 02:22 PM

J
Jack
Unregistered
Jack
Unregistered
J

i was wondering the same thing.

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #348973
07/28/07 03:17 PM
07/28/07 03:17 PM

S
susansdaisy
Unregistered
susansdaisy
Unregistered
S

I feed mine mostly boiled chicken, mealworms, boiled eggs could never feed pinkies.. Guess i'm just to sensative about live animals

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #348984
07/28/07 03:31 PM
07/28/07 03:31 PM

K
Kathryn
Unregistered
Kathryn
Unregistered
K

I forget who it was but they were talking about feeding a little green lizard.. an anole I think the name is... Not sure on the spelling though.

I'm sure someone will pipe in with some stories... With most diehard glider people at the gathering I should ask again next week huh?

Would the lizard be allowed on the HPW?? lol Sorry I couldn't resist!

Last edited by Kathryn; 07/28/07 03:31 PM.
Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #348994
07/28/07 03:48 PM
07/28/07 03:48 PM
Walker (56484), Minnesota, USA...
Shuttershade Offline
Glider Lover
Shuttershade  Offline
Glider Lover

Feeding them live critters is very natural, however I'd be cautious about feeding them anything that could bite. I'm not saying don't do it. By all means, do it! It's healthy and natural. Just be careful that they don't get bitten.

I know alot of people who breed mice and use the offspring to feed their other animals including gliders. I have a friend who breeds garter snakes and feeds the offspring to his gliders. Some people feed their gliders soft-shelled reptile eggs as well, although many others disapprove of this considering the eggs are given raw. Gliders are not stupid. They know their baby from another creature. If you had a baby, could you get it mixed up with a shaved monkey? LOL! I do understand where you're coming from though. But gliders will know. =)

Fly (rescued gerbil)
Luna, Cibil, Newbie (gerbils)
Koda (rescued dog)
Minket & Angel (rescued cats)
Poseidon (walmart betta)
Heron (semi-rescued treefrog)
Suggies coming soon! =D
Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: Shuttershade] #348998
07/28/07 03:53 PM
07/28/07 03:53 PM

T
TheGliderPouch
Unregistered
TheGliderPouch
Unregistered
T

I feed my gliders mealworms, waxworms, and superworms. Don't feed rats - that would be very harmful to your glider. Pinkie rats or mice would actually be very beneficial though – I have fed pinkie mice before.

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: Shuttershade] #348999
07/28/07 03:58 PM
07/28/07 03:58 PM

K
Kathryn
Unregistered
Kathryn
Unregistered
K

A shaved monkey! lol I think I can feign confusion just to get the monkey! lol I know they wont eat their young now... I've figured that out.

I'm just curious what all people have actually fed...

Baby snakes? really? Wow! Would that be something that they might hunt in the wild?

I would be afraid to feed a super worm cause one bit me once and it hurt! lol But a pinky mouse wont bite... so I can see that... a lizard might. hmmmm.

I really would love to learn more about gliders in the wild.

Last edited by Kathryn; 07/28/07 04:00 PM.
Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #349004
07/28/07 04:05 PM
07/28/07 04:05 PM
Shuttershade Offline
Glider Lover
Shuttershade  Offline
Glider Lover

THE BELOW MIGHT MAKE YOU NAUSEOUS:

You know, this sounds gross, but anything that can bite, try chopping off its head just before you feed it. If it's still wriggling, they'll still "hunt" it.

Don't feed full grown rats.. Those buggers are huge. Full grown mice.. Eh, maybe.. If the mouse is tame or you watch very closely so that it won't bite, it'd probably be okay.

I don't feed live mammals because I feel bad about it. They love pinkies and lizards alot. Anoles are the best choice for lizards. They don't usually bite hard, but still watch carefully.

I don't know if they hunt baby snakes in the wild. My friend's gliders go nuts over them though. Ugh, he has a strong stomach. I once watched him cut up a snake and feed the seperate pieces to his gliders BY HAND! X(

Fly (rescued gerbil)
Koda (rescued dog)
Poseidon (walmart betta)
Suggies coming soon! =D
Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #349006
07/28/07 04:08 PM
07/28/07 04:08 PM

T
TheGliderPouch
Unregistered
TheGliderPouch
Unregistered
T

Quote:
If the mouse is tame

Haha...I can just see the little mouse being eaten..."I'm tame, I would never bite"

I don't think feeding mice would be good...there is always the risk or it hurting your glider.

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #349020
07/28/07 04:23 PM
07/28/07 04:23 PM

K
Kathryn
Unregistered
Kathryn
Unregistered
K

I so meant Pinky mice and rats, as in pinky rats! lol Not big hairy ones! they are bigger than the gliders!

HAND FEEDING BITS OF SNAKE... hmmmmm Not even on a good day.

But watching them hunt a teeny tiny one would be really cool!

Not much sport in hunting a pinky! lol May as well just hand it over. Can they eat a whole one? do they spit a bunch of stuff out? Is it messy?

I think I may actually try it... hmmmm. just a tiny little baby pinky mouse.

how often can they have them?

Last edited by Kathryn; 07/28/07 04:24 PM.
Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #349022
07/28/07 04:24 PM
07/28/07 04:24 PM

T
TheGliderPouch
Unregistered
TheGliderPouch
Unregistered
T

I wouln't feed them too often...maybe onece a week.

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #349051
07/28/07 05:27 PM
07/28/07 05:27 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Pinkies, and day old chicks are safe to feed. As far as what other types of "live" food, I'm not sure of. I prefer to just stick to the simple not so gross things like mealies, and grasshoppers.

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: LSardou] #349086
07/28/07 06:12 PM
07/28/07 06:12 PM

H
HelloSugar
Unregistered
HelloSugar
Unregistered
H

I know there is a "food chain", but I personally could never watch my gliders eat another animal such as a baby mouse, chick, or lizard? Those animals are pets too! I have raised mice, and incubated eggs and handraised chicks. Those were my "babies" too!

Sigh.... I guess everyone is entitled to do what they want to do, but how horrifying it must be to bird hobbyists to hear that their precious chicks could be fed to a sugar glider. It's the equivalent of one of us here hearing that a snake breeder feeds sugar gliders to his snakes!

I suppose in this case that it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #349097
07/28/07 06:42 PM
07/28/07 06:42 PM

K
Kathryn
Unregistered
Kathryn
Unregistered
K

True, true. But I know that in the wild, my footless African Gray Parrot would not have lived to see the outside of its nest. Now he is going on three years old, talking up a storm and living a full life! I know that Baby parrots are gobbled up by the thousands by snakes and other animals who prey on the young of other animals.

Me personally, I never would have "saved" my bird from his "fate" I would have put him down when he was discovered. It would have been what was best for him. He deals with a TON of issues as a disabled bird. But given that he was spared he is now very well taken care of. I hand fed him and raised him from day 8, because I promised I would.

I have a strong stomach... I can deal with the whole circle of life thing.

What kills me is the whole... Save the dolphin cause its cute, but eat the tuna.. confused Really? Save one cause its smart and it's loveable but kill and eat the others by the gazillions cause its not?

I eat sushi, I'm only 90% raw, I could never give up my sushi! lol So I'm not a save the planet, hug a tree type, no offence meant to anyone... I just don't want anyone getting the wrong idea... I'm not high on myself lol But seriously.. Eat the worm.. after all its just a bug, but the cute little baby mouse... Some people keep crickets as pets. I realize I am being a bit extreme but I'm just trying to make a point, as ridiculous as it may be. lol

Take it with a grain of salt. wink

I just think it would be good to offer as many things to my babies as they would encounter in the wild. So if they would hunt down the babies of other critters, than cool, maybe they should get them in captivity? I'm really just feeling it all out. Its really interesting to see what some of the long time glider owners have fed and what works for them. I guess its all been a trial and error process thus far for everyone. Or at least that's how I have been reading it so far. It seems to me that everyone is still learning to some degree. I have a lot of catching up to do. But I'll get there.

But the more I ask the more I learn! Thanks for answering all of my questions! I hope I'm not becoming a pest around here! lol

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #349105
07/28/07 06:55 PM
07/28/07 06:55 PM

G
gizzy0
Unregistered
gizzy0
Unregistered
G

worried i couldn't ever imagine doing that, i can't imagine how the people who have snakes can handle it! i even don't like watching it on animal planet, however i know that these animals are in the wild and fare game is fare game, like a snake haunting a mouse, and the mouse has the opportunity to escape, but when ya throw it into the cage, to me that's not haunting, ewww i love all animals to much, if i had a snake it'd probably have to be let go, cause i couldn't handle feeding it! but again this is only my opinion ofcourse! worried

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #349114
07/28/07 07:15 PM
07/28/07 07:15 PM

H
HelloSugar
Unregistered
HelloSugar
Unregistered
H

LOL, I love how you call your hamsters "hammies"! I did that too when had them!

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #349121
07/28/07 07:25 PM
07/28/07 07:25 PM

K
Kathryn
Unregistered
Kathryn
Unregistered
K

Originally Posted By: gizzy0
worried i couldn't ever imagine doing that, i can't imagine how the people who have snakes can handle it! i even don't like watching it on animal planet, however i know that these animals are in the wild and fare game is fare game, like a snake haunting a mouse, and the mouse has the opportunity to escape, but when ya throw it into the cage, to me that's not haunting, ewww i love all animals to much, if i had a snake it'd probably have to be let go, cause i couldn't handle feeding it! but again this is only my opinion ofcourse! worried

you sound like my daughter! She's sitting in front of the TV yelling "RUN! He's right behind you! Stupid thing... just run! Mommy dosent he see him?" She gets so worked up! And everytime CRUNCH! Every now and then they show one where the prey gets away... she'll jump up and down and cheer!

Too funny!

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #349620
07/29/07 06:18 PM
07/29/07 06:18 PM

G
gizzy0
Unregistered
gizzy0
Unregistered
G

roflmao that's me alright, i do get very worked up when i see animals become prey, i hate it, i do know that they have to eat too, but i still get very emotional about it, like the other night, we were watching animal planet and they had the wildebeest migrating across the rivers and how they'd come for water too, and then the crocs would fly out of the water and have one of the wildebeest literally in thier entire mouth! i had to turn a few times, my kids were wanting to watch it! lol but mom didn't want to watch them getting eaten! i just love animals way to much! grin

Php Code:
 LOL, I love how you call your hamsters "hammies"! I did that too when had them!	
yah, they're my babies and my kids pets too! hammies and suggies and everythings baby talk, when it comes to my critters!

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #349638
07/29/07 06:42 PM
07/29/07 06:42 PM
Shuttershade Offline
Glider Lover
Shuttershade  Offline
Glider Lover

Originally Posted By: Kathryn
Some people keep crickets as pets.

Lol!! I had two pet crickets when I was twelve!! Their names were Sneakers and Squeakers!!

XD

Fly (rescued gerbil)
Koda (rescued dog)
Poseidon (walmart betta)
Suggies coming soon! =D
Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: Shuttershade] #349642
07/29/07 06:48 PM
07/29/07 06:48 PM

S
SuggieLuver4941
Unregistered
SuggieLuver4941
Unregistered
S

That's funny! I personally don't like bugs, they scare me. There was a grasshopper in the car, and my 11 year old sister screamed her head off! roflmao It was hilarious!! But sadly, if it was me, I'd do the same thing!! grin

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #350355
07/30/07 03:39 PM
07/30/07 03:39 PM

M
MrsKing
Unregistered
MrsKing
Unregistered
M

I experimented with feeding anoles last week. I bought two relatively small ones. I made sure to get females also because they generally don't bite. I took Scrat & Scarlet upstairs in our gliderproof bathroom and let them run around. I also let the 2 lizards out so it would be more of a "hunt". After about a half hour or aimless wandering, one of the anoles ran across Scrat's tail and he snatched him up. Scarlet stalked hers up the side of the shower curtain and caught it half way up. It seemed to take FOREVER for them to completely finish the lizards, but they really seemed to enjoy them also. I will probably start feeding them anoles once a month.

They also get crickets and mealies occasionally.

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #350414
07/30/07 04:37 PM
07/30/07 04:37 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

It is interesting where we draw the line on what most people think is acceptable to feed. Especially since cognitive/neurology labs are finding more and more evidence that bugs do have consciousness and can feel pain.

I was in the midst of a really interesting argument when I worked in an Animal and Behavior Welfare Lab at Michigan State University...we were talking about enrichment for zoo animals, and someone brought up the point that while this zoo was giving the tigers goldfish or coi in the river to catch as enrichment, they wouldn't put in any deer or large prey animals (more along the lines of a tiger's natural prey) because there would be a public outcry if some people came past and the tiger was mauling and killing a deer.

But no one had any problem with the tigers eating fish (except one girl in the welfare lab brought up her objections to it, saying fish can feel pain too, how is it any less cruel, etc). And we all see tigers eating large mammals on Animal Planet. So why is the fish OK with us but the mammal is not?

It's an interesting question.

Re: Feeding "other" live food.... [Re: ] #350427
07/30/07 04:47 PM
07/30/07 04:47 PM

S
SuggieLuver4941
Unregistered
SuggieLuver4941
Unregistered
S

Oooooooooh. Interesting question indeed! I kinda guessed that mealies could feel pain. This is gross, but when my girl eats a mealie tail first, it squirms around alot like it's in pain! Ick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024