Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Weigh in please: # weeks to separate from parents #379554
09/09/07 03:46 AM
09/09/07 03:46 AM
Van Alstyne, Texas
Lucky_Glider Offline OP
Glider Lover
Lucky_Glider  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Van Alstyne, Texas
We've observed certain behaviors from Joeys we have acquired who seem to be "too young to sell" or "too young to separate from parents." We have definite opinions about this and seem to see more "too young" ones at shows and flea markets - sold by mill operators.

Now I am not going to poison the well by throwing out a number of weeks. Instead I am going to list the behaviors that "too young" joeys seem to display.

If you guys will read this and then tell me what age is safe, that will be a good sanity check. We think we know the "right" number, but hesitate to throw it out here and ruin it by putting a number in everyone's head.

Anyway, here are the "too young" behaviors:

1. Joey shivers a lot
2. Joey cries a lot
3. Joey fouls his or her own nesting area
(I mean a lot, not accidents)
4. Joey is skinny or runtish
5. Joey curls up in food dish and sleeps on top of food
6. Joye does not seem to know how to groom

Thanks for your input

Lucky_Glider
Lucky Glider Rescue & Sanctuary
ed@LuckyGlider.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Re: Weigh in please: # weeks to separate from parents [Re: Lucky_Glider] #379558
09/09/07 03:58 AM
09/09/07 03:58 AM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I would say no younger than "8 weeks"
All of the behaviors that you listed were exactly how my two were when I got them frown they were almost 6 weeks old.

Re: Weigh in please: # weeks to separate from parents [Re: Lucky_Glider] #379560
09/09/07 04:00 AM
09/09/07 04:00 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
I'm not a breeder but IMO the behaviors you've listed are all reasons to NOT seperate a joey from its parents and in almost all of those cases, I would take the joey to a vet!

I don't think joeys should be sold by age as much as by "behavior". They should be acting, eating, drinking and playing like mini adult gliders before they go to a new home. smile

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Weigh in please: # weeks to separate from parents [Re: SugarBlossoms] #379577
09/09/07 09:17 AM
09/09/07 09:17 AM
Ohio
S
SpikenPea Offline
Glider Explorer
SpikenPea  Offline
Glider Explorer
S

Ohio
Well for my 2 cents worth except for #4 that is what ours have done or are doing right now. Ours are baby pigs they love to eat. So unless there is a rejection, pulling from parents should not even be in our vocabulary. Even if you need to supplement because they are not getting enough to there is no reason to seperate until they are fully weaned.

Zookeeper of
our special kids Scooter, Snoopy, Digger, and Rascal
3 Dogs - Trixie and Lilly
3 Cats - Munchkin, Gizmo and Squeaker
1 Naked Mole Rat aka Chihuahua - KiKi
2 Brats (Kids)
and 1 Boss or so She Thinks.LOL (The wife)
Re: Weigh in please: # weeks to separate from parents [Re: SpikenPea] #379586
09/09/07 09:50 AM
09/09/07 09:50 AM

T
TnR
Unregistered
TnR
Unregistered
T

I tell my clients 8-9 weeks. When I see a joey out of the pouch and eating, drinking, and playing on it's own for 4 days to a week I'll send it home. I won't send a baby home till I'm sure it understands how to find food and water.

I give clients the date of pick up when the joeys are 9 weeks old. If the joey matures fast and seems ready I'll let the client pick them up earlier, but not before 8 weeks.

I've never had one that went past 9 weeks without being out and about.

Re: Weigh in please: # weeks to separate from parents [Re: Lucky_Glider] #379595
09/09/07 10:31 AM
09/09/07 10:31 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Ed, most believe that 8 weeks is the appropriate age, however, I like to watch behaviors in joeys as well. Sometimes, even though they are indeed eating on their own, playing, being a clown, there are times you can still catch them nursing on mom once in a while during the morning hours.

I believe that it is best to wait between the 10-12 week mark in joeys. Not only in case they are still nursing, but watching my guys over here teaching the joeys (I posted different pics before of them teaching them)there is just so much they learn up until that 12 week age.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Weigh in please: # weeks to separate from parents [Re: SugarBlossoms] #379842
09/09/07 08:50 PM
09/09/07 08:50 PM
Van Alstyne, Texas
Lucky_Glider Offline OP
Glider Lover
Lucky_Glider  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Van Alstyne, Texas
Originally Posted By: SugarBlossoms
I'm not a breeder but IMO the behaviors you've listed are all reasons to NOT seperate a joey from its parents and in almost all of those cases, I would take the joey to a vet!

I don't think joeys should be sold by age as much as by "behavior". They should be acting, eating, drinking and playing like mini adult gliders before they go to a new home. smile

yes, SugarBlossums, they are reasons NOT to, so I think we are on the same page. I have definite opinions on this, but before I said anything I wanted to get some un-tarnished feedback. Thanks to all of you so far.

Any more input? Any medical or veterinary sources for guidance? Thanks!

Lucky_Glider
ed@LuckyGlider.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Re: Weigh in please: # weeks to separate from parents [Re: Lucky_Glider] #380490
09/10/07 07:15 PM
09/10/07 07:15 PM
Missouri
tammyangel Offline
Glider Slave
tammyangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Missouri
Not all gliders are going to behave in that way weather their 7 weeks to 10 weeks or older all gliders develop differently just like any animal or human .Ones opinion isnt going to match someone elses and maybe the gliders your talking about may be to young but some arent and those that actually sell theirs over 90 percent of those breeders have done this for years and have enough experience to know weather or not its safe for the joey or to early .Everyone has the right to believe what they believe but it doesnt make others who disagree with that that their wrong .I keep mine till their ten weeks and their healthy and prosper wonderfully when they are in their new home.Ive also gotten gliders who were older that didnt bond as the younger ones do with me and others have had the same set backs .But the things you describe Ive never had a glider who developed those things.

Having Faith and Hope that some day soon.That all the world will come to see that all of gods babies deserve love and affection.

gangel My little three precious angels :rbridge:

http://suggieshack.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=login

Mom to some really spoiled little ones.

:rtmo:
:leu:
:grey:

Re: Weigh in please: # weeks to separate from parents [Re: tammyangel] #380509
09/10/07 07:44 PM
09/10/07 07:44 PM
Van Alstyne, Texas
Lucky_Glider Offline OP
Glider Lover
Lucky_Glider  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Van Alstyne, Texas
tammyangel, I agree that everyone has the right to believe in what they want to believe in. It looks like there are really a diversity of opinions on this and I guess that's what this post is all about... To get everyone's opinion, right? So it's all good...

And you make some good points.

I think you said "10 weeks."

Many thanks for weighing in on this. This is the input I was looking for.

Lucky_Glider
ed@LuckyGlider.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Re: Weigh in please: # weeks to separate from parents [Re: Lucky_Glider] #380716
09/11/07 12:08 AM
09/11/07 12:08 AM
Missouri
tammyangel Offline
Glider Slave
tammyangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Missouri
Im not saying 10 weeks is what is best for them I just chose to keep mine till than to tame them more Ive been breeding gliders for about 6 and half years now and Im pretty new at it but I have never had a joey leave my home that anyone wasnt able to actually feed them out of their hands or kiss them on their little noses and they never crab unless you wake them up in the morning .But Id say its all on the gliders themselfs some may not be good at 7 weeks some may do great at 7 weeks and than some may need more time but it doesnt make those who actually sell them be wrong at 7weeks or 15 weeks .The old saying is right humans and animals are alot alike some humans arent ready to be on their own even when their ages 18 and than some are very responsible and ready at age 16 to actually make it on their own. Everyone has different opinions on all aspects of gliders weather buying colors is good or what diets best Some think selling joeys at 7 weeks is the best way to get them to bond and some think not to sell .

Having Faith and Hope that some day soon.That all the world will come to see that all of gods babies deserve love and affection.

gangel My little three precious angels :rbridge:

http://suggieshack.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=login

Mom to some really spoiled little ones.

:rtmo:
:leu:
:grey:

Re: Weigh in please: # weeks to separate from parents [Re: tammyangel] #380788
09/11/07 01:49 AM
09/11/07 01:49 AM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I kept mine no less than 8 weeks. I decided ultimately by separating the joeys (after they were 8 weeks, to start) with their dad over night (away from mom). If they lost weight, it was a sure way to let me know that they were still nursing and just not ready. A couple of mine stayed until they were about 11 weeks. I did have the problem, though, that some of my boys hit maturity at 8 weeks (full bald spot) so had to be really careful with keeping them with their mom full time too much past their bald spot coming in.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Weigh in please: # weeks to separate from parents [Re: sugarlope] #380827
09/11/07 07:15 AM
09/11/07 07:15 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
I will not adopt out my joeys until they are at least 8 weeks oop. Most are at about 9-10 weeks oop when they are adopted out. I don't watch the calendar as much as watch their behaviors to make sure they are fully weaned and know how to use the water bottle, wheel, etc. I know that there are breeders out there that let their joeys go at younger ages, but I personally don't believe they are ready to go until at least 8 weeks oop.

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Weigh in please: # weeks to separate from parents [Re: sugarglidersuz] #380989
09/11/07 11:53 AM
09/11/07 11:53 AM
Van Alstyne, Texas
Lucky_Glider Offline OP
Glider Lover
Lucky_Glider  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Van Alstyne, Texas
Thanks everyone so far. It looks like several people made comments on how watching for behaviors was key to their decision on what age is appropriate. Behavioral Development is also often brought up in formal texts on glider husbandry as well. Anyone else?

Lucky_Glider
ed@LuckyGlider.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Re: Weigh in please: # weeks to separate from parents [Re: Lucky_Glider] #381010
09/11/07 12:40 PM
09/11/07 12:40 PM
Lecanto Florida
1daddyglider1 Offline
Glider Guardian
1daddyglider1  Offline
Glider Guardian

Lecanto Florida
Lucky glider i will answer your e-mail when i have more time, but for now i think if you are going to say eight or ten weeks you have to have a constant to start out from. an oop date is not a constant as gliders come out of pouch looking so different(from pinkie to fully furred), eyes opening from 2 1/2 weeks all the way up to five days after oop. if you use a constant as a date then you should go from eyes open and start eight weeks. The only other way is to tell from behavior eating, drinking, potting. but if glider just starts to taste food and see getting one drink, have they learned enough in two or three days or do they need weeks with mom and dad eating or showing them how and what to eat.mine eat with parents for at least 2-4 weeks as my little joeys come out and start weaning very early. why i'm not sure but may have something to do with having more babies in pouch.

Re: Weigh in please: # weeks to separate from parents [Re: 1daddyglider1] #381050
09/11/07 01:58 PM
09/11/07 01:58 PM

J
jeaniemarie
Unregistered
jeaniemarie
Unregistered
J

well now that I have had one set of boys i see that when i bought mine they were to young and showed some signs of it looking back now, now that i know more about them when my boys came oop i keep them till they were eating , drinking and pooping i sold them at 9 1/2 weeks oop but as a few have said it's not age it's how they are developed that counts.. when i bought my first 2 the little girl got sick and died 11 days after coming home she was to young i think . but now are big healthy babys so is the other 3 i have but i think it goes to say just trust what you think is a right age..

Re: Weigh in please: # weeks to separate from parents [Re: ] #382785
09/13/07 07:58 PM
09/13/07 07:58 PM
Van Alstyne, Texas
Lucky_Glider Offline OP
Glider Lover
Lucky_Glider  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Van Alstyne, Texas
art and jeanmarie thanks so much for the input. Yes, I can see that behavior and development are so very important. I have been collecting a lot of data on this and I think I can say without being too controversial, that if you keep and eye on them and understand he behavioral signs, you can make a good decision about when the best time to separate is.

Many thanks, Ed

Lucky_Glider
ed@LuckyGlider.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 400 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,080 OHIO
487,163 OKLAHOMA
432,166 UTAH
321,694 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024