Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reep's Diet (another diet alternative) #400749
10/18/07 11:55 AM
10/18/07 11:55 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

I have been hesitant about posting this diet publicly but after seeing what it has done for REEP , I feel confident enough to now share Reep's diet with everyone. This is the diet I have been feeding my gliders for over 2 years. This diet has proven itself to me but each of us must research and use our best judgments about diets. I suggest you take this to your vet and ask about it before using it. My gliders are picky (most won't eat any honey or anything with honey in it) but I've not had one refuse this mix yet. This mix has NOT been tested by vets or labs, only through use in my home and a few others. Approximately 45 gliders have been on this diet for 2+ years. Many others are currently on it as well. I've had wonderful healthy joeys born on this diet without any complications.

Reep's diet

2 tablespoons Wambaroo High Protein Supplement
1/4 cup Rice Baby Cereal (Multi Grain can be used)
2 (2.5 oz) jars Chicken Baby Food (chicken in gravy)
5 ounces Apple Juice (I just empty the baby food from the jars and use those to measure)

Mix all this in a bowl with a spoon until smooth. No need to use a blender. Easy to mix, easy to clean up. This makes (approximately)30 servings and can be frozen.

Feed nightly:

2 teaspoons mix* per glider.
1 tablespoon mixed veggies** per glider
1 tablespoon fruit*** per glider

Three times per week feed 1 teaspoon per glider of yogurt. Bugs Mealies are a treat, not a daily food item. Crickets could be fed a couple times per week but I will not feed them due to the risk of aflatoxins.

*Adjust the amount so they are just cleaning their plates. Cut back to 1 1/2 teaspoon for gliders with weight issues. I feed a pair of gliders what a normal kitchen (tea)spoon will hold. Give a little more for pregnant/nursing mothers. My joeys are all weaned onto this diet.

**I feed frozen corn, peas, green beans, carrots mix. Every now and then I will offer other veggies as more of a treat such as cucumber, broccoli, and squash.

*** I usually feed only one fruit per night but rotate what fruits I feed during the week.

With the fruits and veggies, look at the ca:P ratios and try to make sure you are balancing out the 2:1 ratio over the course of the week.

For example, corn and peas are calcium negative but green beans and carrots are calcium positive.

Last edited by GliderNursery; 02/03/20 08:02 PM. Reason: Changed cereal as MulitGrain is no longer available - Feather

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Reep's Diet (another diet alternative) [Re: Dancing] #400755
10/18/07 12:03 PM
10/18/07 12:03 PM
Texas
MelindaKay Offline
Glider Slave
MelindaKay  Offline
Glider Slave

Texas
Teresa...I use this diet for my stripped possum, Boo. He is really picky and won't eat but he loves this and is VERY healthy!!

Melinda Powders

POWDERED SUGAR GLIDERS

email: melindakay@powderedsugargliders.com
Re: Reep's Diet (another diet alternative) [Re: MelindaKay] #400761
10/18/07 12:15 PM
10/18/07 12:15 PM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
T- I think it's great that others are going out on the "limb" to post their diet. Their are many diets out there that are just as healthy.

For the same reasons as you, is why I chose to wait many years before posting our diet anywhere. I have used our diet for 10+ years and feel it has proven it self to me as well.

Thanks for sharing!

Cindy
Mom to
Jae, Ashton, Briannah, Nevaeh & Addy

& all my fuzzies!
Breeder of Leu's, Mosaics, wfb, and standard grey's.
Owner of www.MySugarAddiction.com

:rtmo: :leu:

Re: Reep's Diet (another diet alternative) [Re: GliderLove] #400774
10/18/07 12:37 PM
10/18/07 12:37 PM

W
WannaBeMom
Unregistered
WannaBeMom
Unregistered
W

Thank you so much for sharing this with us T.

Can I ask, how long have you been using it? and how old are your gliders? Have you ever had any seriously health issues with them - reflective of possible diet issues?

Thank you again. I for one, truly appreciate your efforts to post what such a valued member of our board uses.

laugh

Re: Reep's Diet (another diet alternative) [Re: ] #401126
10/19/07 03:09 AM
10/19/07 03:09 AM
u.s.a.
the gliders angel Offline
Glider Addict
the gliders angel  Offline
Glider Addict

u.s.a.
i use this diet from dancing for over 2 yrs. but also add a little more variety like once a wk egg or chicken breast with a wide variety of veggies and fruits. also a little pasta brown rice an almond on occasion or pine nut. etc etc etc.

Re: Reep's Diet (another diet alternative) [Re: the gliders angel] #401262
10/19/07 11:54 AM
10/19/07 11:54 AM
Dancing Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
Can I ask, how long have you been using it? and how old are your gliders? Have you ever had any seriously health issues with them - reflective of possible diet issues?

I have had gliders here for over 10 years. Dexter is my oldest at 12 yrs old. I have one that is just over a week oop and some ip. So I have a wide range of ages here. Most are in the 4-7 year range.

I have NEVER had a sick glider. I have had more than my share of injuries but that is the nature of rescue work. I have had two of my gliders die in 10+ years. Nickolas was my first and we believe it may have been cause by a genetic issue (birth defect). He was one year old. The other was my little girl Spryte and she had a whole host of genetic issues that she came to me with. (there's a thread on her in Health forum) Neither of their deaths were in anyway diet related.

I want to add here that I totally support the BML diet. I think it is fantastic and have used it myself and have seen the remarkable recoveries of rescues taken off horrible diets and placed on BML. For me though, most of my gliders won't eat honey. This is why I had to develope something else.

I also want people to realize that there is much more that needs to be considered about diets than the calcium:phosphrous ratios. There are other vitamins and minerals that need to be considered. You can not just pick out all high calcium fruits and vegies and think that you are giving a balanced diet. Please do not just haphazardly put together a diet for your gliders. Make sure you research things like what Iron does to the ability to absorb calcium. What the difference is between Vit A and Beta Caradine. Things like that. diet is COMPLICATED!

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: Reep's Diet (another diet alternative) [Re: Dancing] #427008
12/02/07 02:25 PM
12/02/07 02:25 PM
Gallatin, TN (near Nashville)
tngliderlover Offline
Glider Lover
tngliderlover  Offline
Glider Lover

My gliders are getting to be picky eaters. I've been using the HPW diet for awhile now, but they don't want to eat the HPW mixture anymore, maybe due to not liking the honey. upset Has anyone else experienced their gliders NOT liking the HPW mixture?
I want to try Reep's diet because that's what Littleman & Valentino were eating before I got them from Teresa (Dancing).
I had a question about how to keep the Reep's mixture. Should I keep it frozen immediately upon making the batch, like I did the HPW mixture? What's the consistency when you freeze it (like do you need a chisel to get it out roflmao or will it be fairly easy to spoon out)?

~Lynn~
Re: Reep's Diet (another diet alternative) [Re: tngliderlover] #427009
12/02/07 02:32 PM
12/02/07 02:32 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
Has anyone else experienced their gliders NOT liking the HPW mixture?

I have never had an issue with my gliders not liking it. dunno

I also tend to have a feeling (just a personal feeling) that it may also be from the different types of bee pollen used out there. I have always used australian bee pollen.

As for how to keep Reeps diet, I am sure Teresa will be along soon to help you out with that one.

Which ever way you go, best of luck to you. thumb

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Reep's Diet (another diet alternative) [Re: Srlb] #427013
12/02/07 02:44 PM
12/02/07 02:44 PM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
I agree with peggy that I believe it may have something to do with using different types of bee pollen.

The first few times I made a few batches of hpw, it was with a different type of bee pollen and my gliders hardly touched it. I switched to the australian bee pollen (from stakich.com) and they greedily ate it. I've been on it for a year now and they don't gobble it up every night like in the beginning, but a fair amount definitely gets ate, so that I'm satisfied.

Valorie and our 10 fur children

RIP Mary Kate
Re: Reep's Diet (another diet alternative) [Re: Srlb] #427014
12/02/07 02:46 PM
12/02/07 02:46 PM
tngliderlover Offline
Glider Lover
tngliderlover  Offline
Glider Lover

Peggy,that's a good point about the bee pollen. What I've been using is from the Great Lakes region.
What's weird is that my other 2 gliders (before I got Littleman & Valentino), just loved the HPW mixture; now THEY don't even like it! ohwell

~Lynn~
Re: Reep's Diet (another diet alternative) [Re: tngliderlover] #427047
12/02/07 03:31 PM
12/02/07 03:31 PM
Dancing Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

My gliders wouldn't eat the HPW either, again because of the honey.

Yes, bee pollen from different regions will taste different as will honey. The pollen is taken from the surrounding plants/flowers and so will taste different. This is why you can find different flavors of honey such as Clover (most common) and Buckwheat. The bees are placed where they have access to the clover or the buckwheat to gather pollen from.

As for keeping Reep's diet. I mix up a batch a night so isn't really an issue for me storing it HOWEVER, I did get lazy and made up a weeks worth once and just froze it in ice cube trays. Once frozen, run the back of the trays under the water for a little and they will pop right out. Then store in a zip lock freezer bag.

620-704-9109

Re: Reep's Diet (another diet alternative) [Re: Dancing] #428451
12/05/07 01:58 PM
12/05/07 01:58 PM
Quincy, IL
glidrz5 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidrz5  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL
Lynn, I feed Reeps diet also & my kids really chow down on it. Since I don't have as many fur babies as Teresa, I will freeze a batch after I make it. That way I don't have to worry that it might go bad. I keep it in the ice cube tray (covered of course) & pop out a couple of cubes nightly. I then zap it for 30 seconds to soften it so I can re-stir it and add in a little bit more juice (since I want to up my kids vitamin C a bit)

Chris
Illusion, Malcom, Isabell, Annabelle, Zach, Isis, Aly & Indy
AND Miss Emmy & Miss Chloe kitties

:rbridge: My Angels: You are always in my heart.

You've flown to the rainbow
and wait there for me
Someday I will join you
together to be

Re: Reep's Diet (another diet alternative) [Re: glidrz5] #558551
05/27/08 04:35 PM
05/27/08 04:35 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
I have never seen this! But I think I may have to try this (it DOESN'T have egg in it.....my babies won't eat anything with egg in it!) Have to order some Wombaroo and give it a try!

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Reep's Diet (another diet alternative) [Re: pappy1264] #607648
08/08/08 06:37 PM
08/08/08 06:37 PM

H
heavenlybean
Unregistered
heavenlybean
Unregistered
H

all of our gang love the reeps' diet. i haven't had a plate with any left on it yet! lol in the beginning it was tough getting them to transition over to reep's, but they wouldn't eat any other of the diets either. they wouldn't eat ANYTHING WITH HONEY OR EGG at all, that is what made me change to reep's... and i just had to slowly, time and time again transition them with a little more reep's and less of the other, and eventually they are completely on reep's and life is sooooooooooooooooooo much nicer! lol thanks teresa! oh, and it usually doesn't take us very long to go through a batch, so i don't usually freeze what i make, i keep it in a margarine container in the fridge. it's easy to make, the ingredients are easy to come by, and it's not overly expensive. all good points for me. sometimes i will put some in ice cube trays if i know that i'm coming up on a time when someone else will have to help feed them, just so it makes it easier on them! lol i found the BEST ice cube trays at target! in their dollar aisle. they are silicone/rubbery and these specific ones are purple and hexigon shaped! lol but they each hold perfect 2tsp amounts (without filling each section right to the top) so then i pop them all out and put them in a zippy freezer bag. and everybody knows here that it is one per glider. it's awesome. oh, and my gang WILL eat egg, but not mixed with anything else! lol they like it boiled and then i run it in my tiny food processor so it's all chopped up, they love it. but they won't touch a scrambled egg at all.

rho

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024