Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Baby! #401567
10/19/07 10:28 PM
10/19/07 10:28 PM

M
Megr
Unregistered
Megr
Unregistered
M

Help! My Roxi is a first time mom and has been doing good with her IP babies until tonight. I was holding her in her pouch and was watching the babies butts and such. Suddenly mom bit the leg and at first I thought she was cleaning not biting but then I saw her pull the skin with her teeth and the baby started thrusting his leg. What is going on?

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Baby! [Re: ] #401571
10/19/07 10:37 PM

F
FaesMomma
Unregistered
FaesMomma
Unregistered
F

She may have been getting too rough with the cleaning...but you may also need to prepare yourself that she may be getting ready to reject cry At this point there is not much you can do except try to limit mom's stress level and provide a good diet high in protein. But sometimes... dunno nature just happens. Will keep my fingers crossed for the mom and little ones

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Baby! [Re: ] #401572
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
If she's not just grooming them, but they're not detached to where you can pull them and hand raise them, I'm not sure what to tell you to do, other than maybe keep mom on you and keep an extra close eye on her until the joeys are detached

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: BeckiT] #401577
10/19/07 10:44 PM
10/19/07 10:44 PM

M
Megr
Unregistered
Megr
Unregistered
M

ok so if they are still attached and I catch her biting them again do I not detach them? Sorry these are my first joey's and they actually should be coming OOP any day now.

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #401607
10/19/07 11:41 PM
10/19/07 11:41 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
I honestly have no idea if it's even possible to detach them dunno Just keep a really close eye on them, I'm sending prayers that they are OK!

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: BeckiT] #403067
10/22/07 09:10 PM
10/22/07 09:10 PM

M
Megr
Unregistered
Megr
Unregistered
M

Thank you all for your help. I am not sure what to do as they are still attached and I have found some scratches and little sores on them. They luckily are still alive worried but I am not sure for how long and I am so worried. I have just received stuff to feed them and have some other rejecting stuff on it's way. I wish there was more I could do other then watching her be mean to them cry

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #403088
10/22/07 09:33 PM
10/22/07 09:33 PM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
I would say by the way she is acting you are very lucky right now. I would try and keep her in a pouch with you as much as possible, so if she starts to get more aggressive you may be able to deter her with a treat or something?

It sounds like your getting prepared, I don't think I would chance mom alone with the joeys, but thats my opinion. Maybe she will be diffrent when detached? Maybe not?

I'm wishing you Luck, and praying for a good outcome with your little ones! Keep us posted!

Make sure you have the "incubater" setup ready too. sounds like you may be doing this rejection thing early. hug2

Cindy
Mom to
Jae, Ashton, Briannah, Nevaeh & Addy

& all my fuzzies!
Breeder of Leu's, Mosaics, wfb, and standard grey's.
Owner of www.MySugarAddiction.com

:rtmo: :leu:

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: GliderLove] #403164
10/22/07 11:04 PM
10/22/07 11:04 PM

M
Megr
Unregistered
Megr
Unregistered
M

I found a little joey climbing out of th sleeping pouch and she appeared to be looking for her mom who was in the pouch who didn't seem interested in the little joey. I took her out and started feeding her. She is not the one with all the sores though. She looks fine. What do I do??? I do not have the rest of the rejection stuff? I can not afford the kit you can buy online... I want this baby to live...

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #403185
10/22/07 11:29 PM
10/22/07 11:29 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
what do you have of the rejection stuff? the most important thing you can do for her right now is keep her warm and fed

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #403189
10/22/07 11:34 PM
10/22/07 11:34 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Keep the baby on you, tucked down in your shirt for warmth. Read up on rejected joeys on THIS SITE it will tell you what you need and how to set up an incubator for the joeys. You can use a plastic box (small storage tub with plenty of holes for air) for the incubator.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: Dancing] #403230
10/23/07 12:43 AM
10/23/07 12:43 AM

M
Megr
Unregistered
Megr
Unregistered
M

I bought the supplies for feeding a joey and that was all I had a chance to buy. I feed her and then went to where mom and dad and the other joey were and turned the lights almost off and put the little joey I was feeding on a piece of fleece. The mom and dad ran over once the joey started crying and at first it looked like the mom was eating the tail of the joey but then she picked her up by the tail and kind of helped her get on her. I just watched to make sure they didn't try to eat her. The joey's have not been fully in the mom's pouch for a couple of days now just their little heads have been. Well I left to go get their food and came back and I mommy was on the cage with 2 tails poking out of her pouch. I am just so confused by what is happening. I seriously started crying because I do not know what to do. I am not sure if the sores are because of mom and dad trying to eat the baby or if the baby is being scratched and getting bites from when mom and dad fight. I just am not sure now because mommy keeps having mood swings and will be awesome with the babies and then appear to be sick of them. I am sorry for being so confused and clueless. I will keep watching them and get the rest of the supplies in case I do have to pull them. Hopefully I wont but who knows right now as they are acting like a happy little family right now. dunno

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #404355
10/24/07 08:52 PM
10/24/07 08:52 PM

M
Megr
Unregistered
Megr
Unregistered
M

So both Babies are no longer attached and both seem very happy and healthy. I have been watching them very closely and mommy is being very gentle with them. I still am preparing for them being rejected. It scares me when I see the mom with them and it appears she is biting them but they don't have a mark in that spot. If the mom is biting them wont they cry or make a noise? When can I stop worrying about the mom and dad eating the joey's? Thanks everyone for helping me out. I am very glad I had this board because if I didn't I would not even know what to do. Oh here are some pics

Attached Files
Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #404361
10/24/07 09:01 PM
10/24/07 09:01 PM

P
phayzed
Unregistered
phayzed
Unregistered
P

Holy huge pictures, Batman! roflmao

I just had joeys OOP myself. I need answers to the same questions you just asked. Hehe.

Congrats!!

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #404364
10/24/07 09:03 PM
10/24/07 09:03 PM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
I'm glad to hear every thing is going well so far. I would still keep a very watchfull eye out for some time because of the biting and sores. It's still really risky, I had one joey cannabilized ever and it was about 3 months ago and she was 5 days OOP, but it does and can happen with much older joeys although the older they get the more the risk goes down. Being this is her first set of joeys, and you have noticed some aggressive behavior I would not let your guard down yet! I'm not trying to scare you, but prepare you for the possibility.

Cindy
Mom to

& all my fuzzies!

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #404367
10/24/07 09:06 PM
10/24/07 09:06 PM

M
Megr
Unregistered
Megr
Unregistered
M

Oh no are they to large? I suck at the making them smaller part... Maybe I will go back and shrink them more. Sorry. Yeah I am stressing out a bit about them mainly because mommy seems like she is eating them she is cleaning them (I am assuming she is cleaning them) Good luck to us. They sure are cute little guys though. I have a little girl and a little boy. Names still pending also because I can not decide and neither can my skin kids grin

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #404368
10/24/07 09:09 PM
10/24/07 09:09 PM

P
phayzed
Unregistered
phayzed
Unregistered
P

Mine just came OOP around 3:30am last night! So I haven't even had the chance to bother them to look and see what the sex is. I plan on doing that tonight though. smile

My joeys are also at a high risk for cannabilism, seeing as how she's a first time mommy, I got her in the middle of joeys being IP, and before they came to me, they were eating strawberry poptarts, beef jerky, and waffle cone pieces. frown

Goodluck to us!

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #404374
10/24/07 09:17 PM
10/24/07 09:17 PM

M
Megr
Unregistered
Megr
Unregistered
M

Oh wow 3:30am.. I found the little girl trying to climb out and that is how I found out she was OOP. The boy came OOP when I was holding them in their pouch grin I hope we both can get through it without loosing a Joey. I have bought almost all the supplies needed for a rejected joey. I bought feeding supplies for joey's and actually have fed them a couple of times but they seem to be getting food from mommy thankfully grin

Thank you GliderLove. I know you are not trying to scare me just keep me informed which I appreciate. Thank you

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #404376
10/24/07 09:20 PM
10/24/07 09:20 PM

P
phayzed
Unregistered
phayzed
Unregistered
P

I tried to get them to come out of the pouch earlier (Them meaning..mom and dad) so that I could get a good luck at the babies and they just were NOT having it lol So hopefully tonight I'll be able to coax them to come out so I can see the babies bellies and whatnot.

smile

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #404394
10/24/07 09:50 PM
10/24/07 09:50 PM
Roanoke, Virginia
mommawannabe Offline
Glider Slave
mommawannabe  Offline
Glider Slave

Roanoke, Virginia
Well they seem to be doing really well. Congrats on the twins. I just had a joey come oop on Monday. He is just so precious. I love the joeys.

Anna

Hubby Tommie
son Logan - 11
Pugs-Duncan and Raven,
Bunnies-Foo&Friday
Hedgies-Sweet Pea,Dobby,Bambi,DarthVader,Lexy,Shadow, Willow & Thatch.
suggies-Izzy, Miley~Toff, Jasper~Twinkie, Nix~Ash, Nash~Riley, Barney~Spryte~Pixie, Apollo~Athena.
Turtles - Shelly~Petunia

www.suggiebabies.com

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: mommawannabe] #404601
10/25/07 07:21 AM
10/25/07 07:21 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Meggan, first of all: Congrats! party
Both joeys appear very healthy and strong heart What you are probably seeing is the mother grooming the joeys - sometimes it appears that they are nibbling on the joeys, but they are just using their teeth to loosen up or comb the fur. As long as she is not breaking the joeys' skin, they should be just fine.
I do have one concern in that you said the joey was climbing out of the pouch... normally they don't do that unless they are looking for food, so I would continue to give them some formula at least once or twice a day to make sure they are getting enough milk.

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: sugarglidersuz] #404626
10/25/07 09:09 AM
10/25/07 09:09 AM

A
angron
Unregistered
angron
Unregistered
A

where can i find a joey rejection kit or a list so i can put one together myself

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #404640
10/25/07 10:26 AM
10/25/07 10:26 AM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
Here's the list on Suz's page for what you need for the rejection kit. http://www.suzsugargliders.com/handraisingajoey.htm

I know some one sells them, I'll go look for you smile

**EDIT**

Well that would be Suz too! lol Here's the link to that page for you. It's great your getting prepared just in case! clap http://www.suzsugargliders.com/productcatalog.htm

Last edited by GliderLove; 10/25/07 10:41 AM. Reason: added link

Cindy
Mom to

& all my fuzzies!

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: sugarglidersuz] #404844
10/25/07 05:44 PM
10/25/07 05:44 PM

M
Megr
Unregistered
Megr
Unregistered
M

I was very concerned about the baby crawling out also. I have been keeping a very close eye on them. Today as I was working I heard a fffftttt fffffttt sound... The sound they make when they are cuddling and one decides to move around. I think that is when ughh well anyways. So I opened the pouch and watched mommy lift one of the babies off of her and she was biting the paw and pushing the baby away. She did this a couple of times. I gave her a yoggie and tried to help the baby move towards the pouch because her belly was not full. If I kept the mom distracted she would be fine but once she was out of food she would do it again to the same little joey. After about an hour she finally settled down. I just am not sure what is happening... cry

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #404882
10/25/07 07:39 PM
10/25/07 07:39 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Meggan-

I don't know either. But please post updates often. I'll be thinking constantly about your adorable twins.

I hope mom is just a rough groomer.

You know how to look and see the belly is full, right?

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ValkyrieMome] #405099
10/26/07 01:41 AM
10/26/07 01:41 AM

M
Megr
Unregistered
Megr
Unregistered
M

I think I do but sometimes it is hard to see a white spot. I have been supplement feeding them and will look at the belly then to see if I can see more white which I usually can. I am just so nervous. I hate leaving them in the sleeping pouch or bonding pouch because I am not sure if the little cry I hear is because mom is eating them or because they just can not find her pouch. I don't think I stressed this much with my skin kids. I will keep updating on the status. I got home from the store to find mom and dad both out of the pouch and the babies were just crawling around the sleeping pouch. I have all the supplies now for if the babies get rejected so that is a little comforting. Just so stressed out right now.

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #405143
10/26/07 07:16 AM
10/26/07 07:16 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Originally Posted By: Megr
I was very concerned about the baby crawling out also. I have been keeping a very close eye on them. Today as I was working I heard a fffftttt fffffttt sound... The sound they make when they are cuddling and one decides to move around. I think that is when ughh well anyways. So I opened the pouch and watched mommy lift one of the babies off of her and she was biting the paw and pushing the baby away. She did this a couple of times. I gave her a yoggie and tried to help the baby move towards the pouch because her belly was not full. If I kept the mom distracted she would be fine but once she was out of food she would do it again to the same little joey. After about an hour she finally settled down. I just am not sure what is happening... cry
The sections of your post that I put into bold above are the parts that are very concerning to me. I'm afraid that this joey is definitely being rejected. It may be that the mother is just not producing enough milk for two joeys and so she's choosing the stronger joey to feed... I would increase the number of supplement feedings you're giving to both of the joeys. Also, try to take the stronger one out of the pouch for a longer period so that the weaker one has a better chance of getting to the mother's milk for feedings. In other words, take the joeys out separately from each other for their supplement feedings. Take out the stronger joey FIRST so that the weaker joey has a better opportunity to possibly get some of the mother's milk. (I hope that makes sense worried )

Suz Enyedy
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: sugarglidersuz] #405177
10/26/07 09:47 AM
10/26/07 09:47 AM

M
Megr
Unregistered
Megr
Unregistered
M

I will try that. You hit it right on the nose about the size. The one she is doing that to is the littlest one. So I will try to supplement feed more and take the big one out first so that the little girl can get some food. How will I know when to just pull her? I am just so afraid to open the sleeping/bonding pouch to them eating her. frown Is there a time that the baby is in more danger of being eaten? Like most eat there young at night or early morning? Just trying to see when the high risk period is if one.

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #405188
10/26/07 10:29 AM
10/26/07 10:29 AM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
Unfortunatly I believe this is what happened to my last joey pair. Mom had always just had 1 single joey ever, this was here first twin set ever, 5 days OOP the smallest, the little girl Juliet was found cannabalized in the evening, I was gone all day so I could not have prevented it. But I would really listen to what's being reccomended since it really sounds like that's what may be going on here, I wish you the BEST of luck, for these sweet joeys!! mlove

Cindy
Mom to

& all my fuzzies!

Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: GliderLove] #405213
10/26/07 11:15 AM
10/26/07 11:15 AM

M
Megr
Unregistered
Megr
Unregistered
M

Thank you. I am definitely going to listen to everything I am being told to do. I have them all with me at work in their bonding pouch. Every time I feel movement or hear anything I get so scared. I did what Suz said this morning. I took the boy out who is the larger one and feed him first, well as I was feeding him I heard noise coming from the bonding pouch. I opened it up to see mom pushing the baby girl away just like before. I just don't understand... What am I doing wrong? I am giving her HPW with the extra powder like it says for pregnant or nursing mom's, I am giving her pinkies which just freak me out, I just am so confused. cry If she is being like this to the little girl when the boy is not even around then what do I do?

Last edited by Megr; 10/26/07 11:18 AM. Reason: Dang Spellcheck
Re: HELP Babies still attached but Mommy Biting Ba [Re: ] #405262
10/26/07 01:00 PM
10/26/07 01:00 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Since the mom is still pushing her away, I would probably just pull her at this point in time and start hand raising her completely. Continue to supplement feed the little boy a couple times a day to make sure the Mom doesn't start to reject him, too frown Call me if you need me...

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024