Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
prolapsed penis & cloaca (private stickings out) #412889
11/08/07 12:14 AM
11/08/07 12:14 AM

E
Everend
Unregistered
Everend
Unregistered
E

Fidget has a 'personal' problem.

short version - Fidget's penis and cloaca are prolapsed. We saw the vet today, he put everything back and put a suture to hold things inside. 3 hrs later they are both sticking out again. eCollar is on, no black, little dark red where the penis(2) enter the cloaca. Everything is still well lubed and not dry.

long version Last weekend my girlfriend came over and brought her male SG about 5 months old. I have a bro/sis pair that are about 9 months old. They got along great. Most of the time they were in separate cages right next to each other. Once we did let them together, they were fine but we decided to take them apart soon after. On Sunday night after she got home she noticed that fidget's penis was sticking out. She squirted it with cold water to get it to go back in but no luck. Tuesday we decided this was a problem that required vet attention so we got the earliest appointment on Wed afternoon.
The vet is near my house and my girlfriend had to work so I got Fidget Tue night. I brought him back to my place but put his travel cage on the other side of the room where he and Leia could not see each other.
I found this site on Tue night and a thread with a similar problem. Advise there was to see a vet ASAP, but in the meantime to apply KY Jelly and an eCollar. So off to the 24 hr drug store for the KY. I applied it about 1am and it did retract a little, but as soon as I took my finger away he reached down with his mouth and yanked it out again. I tried making and putting an eCollar on him, but that was not very effective, he was out of it each time in less than 20 seconds. By now it was 2am and I did need some sleep, so I prayed that Fidget would be ok till the vet apt and went to bed.
The vet told me that both his penis and cloaca were prolapsed. ie The penis was sticking out and the cloaca, which is the part the penis comes out of, was turned inside out like a sock. So he attempted to push it all back in and arrange it to where it all belongs. It didn't take long for Fidget to get very upset with the vet so he took him into the back for some sleeping gas. After putting him to sleep the vet was able to push everything back into place but as soon as he woke up everything popped out again. They put him to sleep again putting everything back in place, this time they used a suture to hold things inside and an eCollar to keep him from pulling it back out with his mouth. He also gave him some drugs for the pain/discomfort and something to reduce the swelling.
I asked him about why this was happening, he said it was because he was so young he really didn't know what to do with it. Per one of the suggestions in the other thread I asked about a virus, bacteria or parasite. He said all the tissue looks healthy and the feces looks normal so these are not very likely. He suggested that if it came out again we would need to castrate and amputate the penis. This would be fine for the glider and would be similar to just getting him nutered. However, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the 'if it is not doing what it is supposed to be doing, cut it off' method.
I asked if I should keep he and Leia sepparated, he suggested different rooms, while he's at my house since he lives with my girlfriend and wouldn't be over here all the time.
He called me tonight after doing some more research and changed his mind about if I should keep them apart. Now he says I should put them togther, in the same cage even. Problem I see with that is that neither is old enough to mate yet (and I'm not ready to have joeys running around). And I suspect it would be more stressfull for him to see her again only to go home to my girlfriends house.
After I got off the phone with him I went down to check on Fidget. Guess what, everything is sticking out again. Three hours later I'm back to where I was last night. He does still have the eCollar on so he won't be chewing on it. Though I'm not sure that would be a problem since he hasn't really been chewing on it the last three days. The problem with the eCollar is that now I need to hand feed him everying since he can't reach his mouth to hold the food. I will leave the collar on.
Since it was sticking out again, I put some KY Jelly on it just now. HE DOES NOT LIKE THAT. He's throwing a fit now trying to get his face down there. The eCollar is a little small so he's actually able to lick it. He is licking and not biting but I'm going to figure out a way to make the collar bigger so he can't reach it at all.

Questions:
  • Is there anything else I can do tonight?
  • Why does it keep popping out?
  • Is there a reasonably priced alternative to amputation and castration?
  • How can we get it to go back in and keep it in?
  • Should we let Fidget see Leia again?
  • If we let let him see her, can we separate them again when it is time for him to go home to my girlfriend's place?
  • Do y'all agree this is environmental rather than medical(virus/parasite).

Last edited by sugarglidersuz; 11/08/07 08:15 AM. Reason: to edit wording in title & post per Rule #4 G-rating
Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: ] #412897
11/08/07 12:25 AM
11/08/07 12:25 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Have you tried getting a second opinion from another vet? Might not be a bad idea.

Last edited by sugarglidersuz; 11/08/07 08:16 AM. Reason: to edit title

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: ] #412900
11/08/07 12:27 AM
11/08/07 12:27 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

First. DO NOT HAVE HIS PENIS AMPUTATED. The only time a glider's penis should be amputated is if the tissue is necrotic (turning black) and then can only be amputated back to the where the two ends split. (the penis is Y shaped) Since he is in the ecollar, you can use Preperation H (hemoroid cream) instead of the KY. This will help reduce any inflamation and has a mild pain reliever in it.

What meds did they give you?

I do strongly suggest you leave the ecollar on until this issue is resolved. It takes a very short time for a glider to do fatal damage if they start to self mutilate.

Ok. Because of the cloaca anatomy of a glider, the stitch needs to be removed asap. This is the only opening they have to deficate through and could cause even more problems.

Because of his age, it could be the hormones (teenage stage). Neutering will help with this issue. Or it more likely is a bacteria or parasite infection or urinary tract infection. These can be determined with a urinalysis (have them also check for cyrstals in the urine) and a fecal float and direct smear (under a microscope). If it is not parasitic, then a cytology should be run to determine if there is a bacterial issue and to isolate which bacteria. A broad spectrum antibiotic should be given until the cytology comes back (this could take up to 10 days). Baytril is most common as a broad spectrum.

I would keep him seperated from the female (different rooms) because of their ages and because they are not intended to be cage mates. You are right in keeping them seperate with the female going home to your girlfriends. This will cause stress for both of the gliders.

Last edited by sugarglidersuz; 11/08/07 08:17 AM. Reason: to edit title

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: cinnamonstix] #412908
11/08/07 12:35 AM
11/08/07 12:35 AM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
May I ask was he a glider knowledgable vet???? Xfilefan and some other fine folks should be along tonight to hopefully help find some answers for you. Sending positive energy/prayers for you and your baby. Please keep us updated. smile

Last edited by sugarglidersuz; 11/08/07 08:17 AM. Reason: to edit title

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: Cora] #412909
11/08/07 12:36 AM
11/08/07 12:36 AM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
Oh look Dancings here!!!!!!!!

Last edited by sugarglidersuz; 11/08/07 08:18 AM. Reason: to edit title

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: Cora] #412962
11/08/07 01:37 AM
11/08/07 01:37 AM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
I agree with Teresa. Keep him in the e-collar, and keep the two separated. It's stressful for gliders to bond to one another, then be split apart, and especially to be reunited, then separated again. frown In addition, at 9 months, both could be sexually mature, and the last thing you want is for the brother and sister to mate.

And definitely don't amputate his penis! I would get a second opinion, or have your vet call a glider-knowledgeable vet. The tissue can become dry and necrotic if it doesn't retract, so do keep it lubricated.

Also as noted, everything happens out of that one opening, so stitching it closed isn't the answer. frown Here's a site with pictures that might help explain: BMXgirl’s anatomy page.

Your little boy may be trying to "floss" with it, but sometimes it doesn't completely retract. This happened with my Hiroshi, and I had to take him to the vet for help. He's fine now, and only needed the help once. As noted, neutering him will help (I presume his poms are dropped). But only a vet can diagnose what might truly be the cause.

The key for now is to keep him in the e-collar and keep it lubricated. Hand feeding him will help with the bonding. smile If he has water bottles in his cage, he probably can still drink from them. If not, you'll have to make sure he gets plenty to drink. And do follow-up with a (different?) vet.

Last edited by sugarglidersuz; 11/08/07 08:19 AM. Reason: to edit title

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: KattyM] #412975
11/08/07 01:53 AM
11/08/07 01:53 AM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

You mentioned he could lick the penis with the ecollar on...you need to make a bigger e-collar...

if he can reach it to lick it, he might be able to bite it as well, and while it is good news he is not doing this yet, it could become a reality, and as previously mentioned, he could do a great deal of damage in a short period of time.

PLEASE get a 2nd opinion. I'm sure this vet means well but he clearly doesn't know what he's doing if he recommended amputation. Let us know where you are located and members here might be able to help you find a glider knowledgable vet.

Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: ] #412979
11/08/07 01:56 AM
11/08/07 01:56 AM

E
Everend
Unregistered
Everend
Unregistered
E

I did make the ecollar bigger after I noticed he could still lick. I believe he is no longer able to reach it. (boy is he upset about that collar)

I'm located in Austin, Tx
according to this site, there is one about three miles from here.
http://www.glidercentral.net/links/pages/Vets_Database/United_States/Texas/Austin/index.html

Research Pet & Bird Hospital
11679 Research Blvd. Austin, TX 512-258-2577

Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: ] #413028
11/08/07 06:46 AM
11/08/07 06:46 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Everett,
I'm glad you were able to make the e-collar larger to prevent him from reaching the site. Please do follow Teresa's advice and get him into a glider-knowledgable vet ASAP to remove the stitch that the first vet put in place. As she mentioned, since gliders defecate from their cloaca as well as urinate, with a stitch in place the glider will become extremely stressed when trying to defecate and unable to do so. The stitch needs to be removed right away! Please keep us posted on his progress and let us know how he's doing...
There are special accomodations you will need to make for his housing & feeding while in an e-collar. Once you have gotten proper medical care for him, please let us know so we can help you with his at-home care.
hug2

Moving this over to Health & Hygiene now.

Last edited by sugarglidersuz; 11/08/07 08:20 AM. Reason: to edit title

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: sugarglidersuz] #413055
11/08/07 08:46 AM
11/08/07 08:46 AM

A
Angel
Unregistered
Angel
Unregistered
A

Hugs and prayers your way. I hope the new vet can help. Keep us posted.

Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: ] #413074
11/08/07 10:00 AM
11/08/07 10:00 AM

E
Everend
Unregistered
Everend
Unregistered
E

We have an apt with Research Pet & Bird Hospital for 10am. I'm going to print this thread and bring it to the Dr. So if you have any other words of wisdom to share with her, please post.
We are concerned that the next vet may be learning as she goes like yesterday's vet seemed to be. When I called at 7am to make the apt I asked the receptionist about her knowledge of this problem. She said... c "Dr ?? has been with us for a few years, she has seen quite a few SG, especially recently as they seem to be getting more popular." I asked if she had seen this problem before and the receptionist answered "I really wouldn't know".
We picked this vet as the closer of the two listed on this link posted by KattyM above.
http://www.glidercentral.net/links/pages/Vets_Database/index.html

Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: ] #413296
11/08/07 03:34 PM
11/08/07 03:34 PM

E
Everend
Unregistered
Everend
Unregistered
E

Update after seeing the second vet this morning. They did a Urinalisys and determined there were crystals in the urine. She believed this is caused by an infection so she gave me some pink stuff to give him. The fecal smeer looked ok.
She said the antibiotic will cause the bacteria to die and in time everything should retract by itself.

She did take the suture out right away.

She said to bring him back in two weeks. In the meantime feed him by hand, keep everything lubed with KY and leave the collar on him.

Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: ] #413298
11/08/07 03:35 PM
11/08/07 03:35 PM

E
Everend
Unregistered
Everend
Unregistered
E

Thanks for everyone's prayers and help!

Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: ] #413303
11/08/07 03:41 PM
11/08/07 03:41 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Thank you for the update! I'm so happy to hear that in time things will go back to normal with him. Also, Kudos to you for taking the extra time and effort in getting your little one taken care of! Give him some extra treats for being such a trooper! hug2

Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: LSardou] #413345
11/08/07 04:46 PM
11/08/07 04:46 PM
Columbia, Missouri
kthiessen Offline
Glider Addict
kthiessen  Offline
Glider Addict

Columbia, Missouri
Glad to hear everything is going to be ok.

~ Kathy ~

Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: kthiessen] #413362
11/08/07 05:17 PM
11/08/07 05:17 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Now that everything is "on the mend", do give his cage a THOROUGH cleaning...not talking about using strong chemicals or anything like that, just use the HOTTEST water you can stand (with a good squirt of dish soap) & wash EVERY SQUARE INCH of the cage. Soak toys and pouches in STEAMING HOT SOAPY WATER, too. That UTI virus is a BUGGER to get rid of, and you don't want ANY OTHER GLIDERS to catch it!

Been there, sympathizing with you. The comforting thing is that Fidget will get over this...oh, and add a little bit (1/2 teaspoon) of yogurt (regular stuff, not the kind with Splenda in, no chocolate flavoring either) to his hand-fed diet to help "good" bacteria grow in his intestinal tract that will be killed by the Amoxicillin (pink stuff). His poo will be "runny" & stinky, but that means the antibiotic is working.

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: minkasmom] #413389
11/08/07 05:57 PM
11/08/07 05:57 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Thank you for taking this little guy in for another opinion and it sounds like he is now on the road to recovery.

I definately second the yogurt suggestion too.

Please don't hessitate to ask if you have any questions or concerns. There are many of us who have "been there done that" and we all just want the best outcome for your little guy.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: Dancing] #413460
11/08/07 07:47 PM
11/08/07 07:47 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Just want to add my "thank you for the update". I'm glad to hear he's going to be okay hug2

Suz Enyedy
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: sugarglidersuz] #413556
11/08/07 09:41 PM
11/08/07 09:41 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
Well Done!!! Thanks for the update!!!!!

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: Cora] #413716
11/09/07 01:30 AM
11/09/07 01:30 AM

E
Everend
Unregistered
Everend
Unregistered
E

Bad news (I think) update. Tonight my girlfriend noticed that the base of his penis where the Y starts and where it disappears into the cloaca is turning dark. Does this mean we need to amputate? It's just turning dark at the base of the Y, not on the ends of the Y.
He has received two doses of the stuff so far, we are supposed to give him this twice each day for 14 days. I'm not sure if this is the name of the stuff, but it says Baytril Liquid 1/4 oz on the bottle. They gave me a facts sheet about the drug, she took it home with her so I don't know what it says.
He does still have the ecollar on, we made it even larger this morning so it's nearly 6 inches in diameter because where it was, he could still reach the tip.
We are still keeping it lubed with the KY.
He's drinking fine and eating a bit of dried fruit but he's not touching his staple pellets. The vet tech insisted that we start him on the BML diet asap. We'll probably mix some up this weekend for my two gliders too.

Earlier this week I called around to a couple vets to see how much for getting Luke (my male) fixed since he lives with his sister. The first two I called both quoted $75, neither intended to provide take-home meds. I don't know the details of the procedure besides this.
I talked to today's vet (Research Pet) about the price. Their base price is $299 with a likely max of $450. I told them this was outrageous when two places down the road only charge $75. The tech went on to explain how involved the procedure is, that 2 and sometimes 3 people would be working on him, they would be measuring vitals the whole time, etc. She also said this would be a pom removal so this means castration I think. (this was before any signs of necrosis).

So in addition to advise about Fidget, I'm curious for y'all to advise me on what to do with Luke. Do I really need to drop $300-400 on getting him neutered when two places down the road would do it for $75? To add to this consideration, I got layed off today.

thanks
Everend

Last edited by sugarglidersuz; 11/09/07 07:54 AM. Reason: to remove med dosage
Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: ] #413752
11/09/07 04:03 AM
11/09/07 04:03 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
That really is a lot to neuter a glider...the process only took minutes at my vet. Mine too was a pom removal, and yes that whole little fur sack down there is cut off and fully removed (castration)

My neuters were $69 each plus a $12 each pre-surgical check up, plus the cost of meds which was about $30 for the two gliders combined.

My vet was great. I think he did a wonderful job although the whole event was rather stressful. Both my boys attempted to SM upon awakening...however once the pain meds were administered...the issue s were gone. We lowered sleeping quarters and anywhere like coconuts that they could hide in were removed so I could get to the easilly at medicine time.

I HIGHLY reccomend that you demand pain meds wherever you go. If a glider is in pain...it can SM very easy...and it is better to just treat for pain...rather than wait for it to strike and the glider causes worse damage.

If they will not supply pain meds, do not use them. It is that simple. I was prescribed Torb with Ace...very good meds in my opinion. I had NO problems post neuter with this stuff.

Ask about the neuter process with these cheaper vets, ask about any problems that have had, ask how long they have been working with gliders, ect. They may be just fine...just do your research first.

***As for your gliders penis...best to get it looked at by a good vet again ASAP if it is changing colors. Color change is not good, and you do not want infection of necrosis to start...it spreads so fast. I know you have been watching carefully and getting it all checked out...make sure to get someone looking at it as soon as possible...hope he starts feeling better...poor little guy!

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: ] #413771
11/09/07 07:57 AM
11/09/07 07:57 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
The tissue of his penis turning dark is a concern to me. It could just be bruising, but it may be the beginning of necrosis. Definitely needs to be rechecked by the vet. Usually, vet's don't charge as much for a recheck as the initial exam smile

As for the neutering, if you can talk one of the less expensive vet's into sending home pain meds, I would go with one of them. Read through these Neutering FAQs first before you call them again. You will find the information very helpful (written by our own Dancing/Teresa).

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: sugarglidersuz] #413788
11/09/07 08:54 AM
11/09/07 08:54 AM

A
AngieH
Unregistered
AngieH
Unregistered
A

I have sent you a PM... look for the flashing envelope at the top of your screen.

Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: ] #413871
11/09/07 11:44 AM
11/09/07 11:44 AM

E
Everend
Unregistered
Everend
Unregistered
E

At the prospect of surgery I called two new clinics. The first is also listed as glider knowledgeable in the link above. The receptionist said they charge $97 for neutering on Mondays and Wednesdays and $117 on other days. "Take home" pain meds was another $30 and blood work to check to see if the glider is safe for the meds is another $30. Both of these are optional. The take home meds are really just a shot they give him that should last two days.
As far as addressing Fidget's problem, I left a message with that doctor, hopefully he'll call me back this morning.

Second new place I called, I actually talked to the vet, he's been practicing for 30 years. He said that since I've already got him on antibiotics the threat of necrosis feeding bacteria into the blood stream is low right now. He suggests we wait a few days to see how the penis does, it may just be bruising and we don't want to cut away viable tissue.

I called back to Research (yesterday's vet) the receptionist relayed my message to the tech who advised me to come in so they could see it rather than trying to diagnose over the phone. I asked that they have the vet call me back since I'm not able to take him in right this hour.

So right now I'm waiting to hear back from the two vets to hear their recommendation.

Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: ] #414130
11/09/07 06:12 PM
11/09/07 06:12 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Thank you for the update! Is there anyway that you could post a picture for us to see? I almost tend to agree with the one vet who said that the discoloration could be due to brusing...he has bone thru quite a lot these past few days, so this could be the case. However, having a vet look at it is a much better option to determine what is really going on. Will be anxiously waiting to hear. Sending your little one lots of hugs and keeping him in my prayers. hug2

Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: LSardou] #414149
11/09/07 06:39 PM
11/09/07 06:39 PM

B
BuffaloGal
Unregistered
BuffaloGal
Unregistered
B

Hi all... I have been watching this thread and am curious to know the vet that you called that said they would alter him for 97? I also live in the Austin area and am thinking about getting my Stewee fixed.

I am glad that your little fellow is doing better.

BTW.. I'm Christine, Hi!! I am new to the site and have been watching and reading stuff. VERY INTERESTING and its been very helpful!! Stewee and I are getting to know eachother much better!!

Thanks,
Christine

Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: ] #414260
11/09/07 09:59 PM
11/09/07 09:59 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
wave Christine, WELCOME to GliderCENTRAL! I would like to invite you to make a post in the "Help I'm New" Forum where others can give you an open welcome. Your post here will get lost with this one, and we sure don't want to miss talking with ya!
Please don't hesitate to ask questions in the appropriate forums.......There is always someone who will be willing to help.
Wishing you all the best and happiness with your little one, and please post pic if you can in our GliderTalk forum.

Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: LSardou] #417056
11/14/07 05:53 PM
11/14/07 05:53 PM

E
ErinA
Unregistered
ErinA
Unregistered
E

I don't want to scare you, but be sure you get the best vet opinion possible, which does sound like a second opinion. I lost a little guy to this, so make sure you get on top of it.

Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: ] #471625
02/07/08 12:27 AM
02/07/08 12:27 AM

L
lgilbert
Unregistered
lgilbert
Unregistered
L

My 9-year-old glider actually bit off one half of the "Y" of his penis when he was about 3 years old. He was "sexually frustrated" as the vet put it. I had been noticing him kind of attacking his general genital area for a few nights, and he was making the most awful noise. At the time, I didn't have a vet, so I made an appointment with a vet my breeder recommended.

That night Hamlet started making almost screeching noises - I will NEVER forget that noise. I turned on the light, and there was blood all over the cage. The bleeding actually stopped very quickly, and I think I spent the rest of the night holding him, he was SO upset.

I was able to take him in the next morning as an emergency. vet took a look - yup, he is no longer bifurcated, he is ... monofurcated?

Oh, I forgot to add, he was neutered that day and kept for a few hours for observation regarding his penis, etc. Haven't had any problems since. He does try desperately to mate with his female companion every once in a while, who has no interest in mating! It's almost funny to watch her reaction, like "oh no, not again, oh well, may as well just sit here. He can't do anything anyway ..."

Anyway, I was looking through the threads because tonight he was straining to poop, and he had some runny poop, I wouldn't exactly call it diarrhea (my god, they have had diarrhea before, it's awful.)

But then I noticed he was very interested in his rear end, and it's prolapsed, but just a bit.

How lucky that we have a vet appointment tomorrow for something else? (SM of tail, something that has gone on for years, I think he does it happily, he doesn't do it out of stress, strangely enough. But now he has a sore and a bump, similar to what I've seen in other threads, so I'm taking him in.)

So I'll get it all checked out, but I'm not as freaked as I was a half hour ago!

Last edited by lgilbert; 02/07/08 12:30 AM.
Re: prolapsed penis & cloaca (privates sticking... [Re: ] #471652
02/07/08 12:49 AM
02/07/08 12:49 AM

N
NerdintheBurgh
Unregistered
NerdintheBurgh
Unregistered
N

Just a fyi, I had Herc neutered at the Westgate Pet and Bird Hospital, the $97 one you mentioned. Its my opinion that I will not go there should I ever need another Suggie neutered. The incision was the full length of Herc's pom, bled randomly, and he attempted to SM every time I tested his collar off for nearly 4 weeks. Eventually his pom fell off (or was chewed off, not entirely sure). There were many other complications as well. I would drive to Dallas for a neuter, theres a lot of great suggie specialist vets there!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024