Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What is wrong with diets that involve pellets? [Re: glidergrl1513] #425209
11/29/07 08:08 AM
11/29/07 08:08 AM

R
raisnok
Unregistered
raisnok
Unregistered
R

ok i know i am new here, but i am going to put my 2 cents in.
i have kept gliders for 10 years.
morgan the male i currently have was one of my babies 6 years ago, the owner who had him was terminally ill, she wanted a glider so i let her adopt him, no charge, when her health worsened she brought him back.
he had only been fed briskeys, and bml and fresh fruits and veggies and crickets.
when i got him back, i noticed he wasnt touching the briskeys,
arie the female i had at the times was being fed zks, i tried switching morgan, he wouldnt touch it.
when i lost arie, i had found a guy who had a female who had been a single glider for 5 years and strickly fed briskeys, nothing else....i switched her to bml and fresh foods.
after coming here and getting used to morgan and they started living in the same cage, i put a bowl of zks in the cage along with bml, some fruits and nectar.
the next morning i found the zks bowl and all in the floor of the cage, i cleaned the cage and and put in another bowl, they turned the bowl over again.
with fresh foods if i have a fruit or veggie they wont eat i puree it and mix it in the bml or add it to the nectar.
for during the day i buy the dried fruits for birds and leave it and they will chew on that, also i have added that to the nectar for a treat, usually i find more fruit on the bottom of the cage, but they eat well as far as bml and fresh fruits and veggies, and even crickets.
when i put pellets in they knock the bowl over,
but they will eat a monkey biscuit soaked in the nectar.
i used to keep lories so i modified the nectar for my gliders.

Re: What is wrong with diets that involve pellets? [Re: ] #425217
11/29/07 09:33 AM
11/29/07 09:33 AM

E
Ema
Unregistered
Ema
Unregistered
E

wave I also have a problem with my gliders eating the pellets they seem not like it. I'm kind of new to all this I have only had my Jojo and Baby for about two months now, But can you have me to understand what is zks and what kind of nectar do you give your gliders. I feed my bml and fresh fruits and veggies. I gave them mealies at least twice a week and crickets one maybe twice a week do you think I'm feeding my babies wrong..thank you for your help jump

Last edited by Ema; 11/29/07 09:35 AM.
Re: What is wrong with diets that involve pellets? [Re: ] #425273
11/29/07 12:25 PM
11/29/07 12:25 PM

R
raisnok
Unregistered
raisnok
Unregistered
R

when i speak of nectar i guess i should have clarified that.

when i had my juicer i made up batches of juice and added a bit of honey(instead of sugar) and baby cereal.

sometimes i add some yogurt.

now usually what i do is buy the baby juice, like apple, mixed fruit, apricot even the ones with yogurt work.

from time to time i add some acacia powder to thicken it up...

another thing i do is mix honey water and acacia powder til is is thick like the honey and put is on fruits and veggies, like apples, pears, carrots, green beans and put them on a kabob and hang in the cage for the gliders to eat...
now i have took and done that and sprinkled the berries and bugs, but my gliders actually were fighting over the whole kabob so i hang 2 for that.

some people disagree with my diet because alot of it is pureed food, often times with chunks, and i do use monkey biscuits... when i do feed fresh fruits and veggies i feed them shredded.
some times i have even been know to put a whole mango or apple in the cage and let them gouge the skin.

i have kept various types of animals, including loris and iguanas, i took some ideas from both and modified them to fit my gliders.

the lori nectar recipe was 1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup soyagen powder and 1/2 cup high protien powder with 2 cups water. i modified the nectar for the lori to tropical fruits pine apple, mango, papaya, and pears i juiced them, then took the pulp added it to the juice and added the soyagen and high protien powder but only 1/4 cup and 1/4 cup of honey, after changing my lories diets around i noticed a change in their color it was brighter.

what i do with diets i feed, even down to my guinea pigs, if i cant eat it they dont get it, my gliders diets i have tasted them all, some tasted bad, some tasted good.

but all in all, if your gliders are going crazy for the food you provide for them and you know its a "healthy" diet and they eat it thats what is important they are getting a healthy diet that they like.

Re: What is wrong with diets that involve pellets? [Re: ] #425353
11/29/07 02:59 PM
11/29/07 02:59 PM

L
Laura_Leigh
Unregistered
Laura_Leigh
Unregistered
L

ok, I’m going to attempt to go through this entire thread and answer what I can. If I missed something that you had a question on that has not already been answered, please either post it again or PM me and I would be happy to help you out if I can.

Originally Posted By: suggiemom
Yea, I think a lot of the issues stem with HARD pelleted food. In their natural habitat they mash the foods against the roof of their mouths and extract the liquid from it. It's difficult for them to do with a hard pellet.

The real doubts started several years ago when another owner had a problem with aflatoxin in the pellets just like what I had. Now there is a “hard” pellet out there that is meant to be fed soft. Happy Glider should be softened with apple juice before being fed. It should also be fed with appropriate fruits and veggies. I don’t think there are any pellets out there that can be fed as an “All In One” diet, but more as a staple to a diet.

Originally Posted By: blockamon
Quality pellet diets (note, not all of the ones out there are good) are far more nutritionally balanced than most people give them credit for. I personally stick to Mazuri and Reliable Protein Products, since they manufacture and market mostly to zoos. Other manufacturers (i.e., Briskey's and Pretty Pets Happy Glider) may also be OK, but I have no experience with them.

I have sat down and looked at the nutritional value of the glider pellets out there. Some of them are ok, some not so ok, and others… well, I wouldn’t feed them to the mice in my basement. As for your reasons for sticking to those manufacturers, I would find a different reason. Those feeds are for NUMEROUS different species of animals. The Zookeepers diet is for all insectivore animals, not just our gliders. Gliders have very different nutritional needs than monkeys and anteaters. It is just a general staple, which is why there are diets out there such as suncoast that make up the nutritional difference that the ZKS is lacking.

True, storage has to be considered. However, to me this isn't much different than making sure the fresh foods aren't spoiled or that the HPW/BML ingredients aren't bad.

This is a lot different… Tell me something. How do you store Wheat Germ? Now… Tell me how long pellets are good on your shelf. The average glider owner cannot tell you how or for how long pellets should be stored. Most of the pellets out there do not have specific enough storage instructions, and you take the chance on poisoning your gliders by lack of knowledge.

I still use Mazuri New World Primate as part of their diet. They like the taste, and it helps with oral hygiene.

ok, I’m not trying to pick on anyone at all, but would you feed dog food to a baby? Then why would you feed primate food to a marsupial? I never did understand the theory behind that

Originally Posted By: svenna
I saw the Brisky's diet pellets but was sort of confused by it. Is that -all- that the gliders get, or are they also given fresh food?

I believe that it should be fed with fruits and vegatables.

With the ZKS, wouldn't freezing it make it hard and thus defeat the purpose of it being soft? I currently keep it in a big plastic ziploc bag (that's how it was given to me by their previous ownder). Should I be storing it differently?

you would want to freeze it in 1 week portions. Take out only what you will use in that time, and refrigerate that portion. This will allow the food to defrost in the fridge and you will be serving the soft food vs frozen.

Wait... so crickets, mealworms, and pretty much everything can contain the toxins, what do you feed for the fresh insects? I buy the crickets and mealworms in the can that has a green lid. Would freeze-dried bugs be safer?
Originally Posted By: 7glider7
I have never understood why crickets would be higher aflatoxin risk than mealies. If their bedding is moldy, it's moldy...it seems like either bug could be contaminated.

Crickets actually have a higher possibility of carrying aflatoxin due to the ability to attach to the DNA of the crickets without actually killing them. So, once a cricket has aflatoxin, so will all of the generations of crickets that come after it. Another factor that plays into this is that Crickets are usually raised on corn bedding. Corn has a very high possibility to contain the mold that produces aflatoxin. Generally, mealworms are raised on wheat or oat bedding, which has a lower probability of growing the specific mold that producing aflatoxin. It is possible for the mold to grow on any kind of grain, but corn is by far the most common.

Sorry this is soooo long, lol

Re: What is wrong with diets that involve pellets? [Re: ] #425384
11/29/07 03:58 PM
11/29/07 03:58 PM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

Thanks Laura I always appreciate it when you go into detail about that cuz I kinda glaze over when I try to decipher it all.

Re: What is wrong with diets that involve pellets? [Re: ] #425398
11/29/07 04:22 PM
11/29/07 04:22 PM

B
Brittney
Unregistered
Brittney
Unregistered
B

i agree- thanks SO much Laura that straighted a lot out for me!

Re: What is wrong with diets that involve pellets? [Re: ] #425535
11/29/07 10:05 PM
11/29/07 10:05 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
off_topic For anyone interested in the Cricket/Aflatoxin discussion, I started a new thread for it here .

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024