Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tail chewing. #437774
12/19/07 06:26 PM
12/19/07 06:26 PM

B
Baske
Unregistered
Baske
Unregistered
B

I reciently bought my first glider, Ginger, almost a week ago. She's very young and was pulled from her mother two days before I bought her. I noticed on the first day her tail had a less furry spot but I didn't think much of it.

Her cage is decent sized and large enough for her but prolly not two. It's the wire bar style and she has a nest, fresh water, several toys, etc. I let her chill the first day and didn't do much except talk to her and let her run around on me that night.

The next day I noticed she was eating vitamins, fruits and veggies well, but not touching any protein (half hard boiled egg and a couple unsalted peanuts). I also noticed her tail had a big scab near the end and was not furry near the end so I took her to the vet. She suggested I get another glider, which I certainly will when the breeder has more or if the problem goes away. That night she ate up her protien!

Since then I've had off from work so I've kept her in my bra (which she likes a a lot!) and at night I play with her for at least 4 hours (I'm very nocturnal myself). She seems happy but I still notice her messing with her tail. When she does I just pick her up and pet/ talk to her, but its hard to tell if she's cleaning it or hurting herself.

I love my little Ginger so much and I don't want her to feel any pain. I'd like to know anyone's opinion on what I should do. Will neosporin hurt her?

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #437800
12/19/07 06:58 PM
12/19/07 06:58 PM

B
Brittney
Unregistered
Brittney
Unregistered
B

OK there is a lot to comment on here! Firstly, I have never personally dealt with a Self Mutilator, but it's very common in gliders to pick and pick and pick at something if anything's wrong - like a scab. Unfortunately most will pick at them until they pick themselves to death. I'm a little concerned your vet was not more concerned... what vet did you take her to? Is it a vet with experience with gliders (not a vet that WILL treat gliders, but one with experience with them)??

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #437802
12/19/07 07:02 PM
12/19/07 07:02 PM

A
AliaBrown
Unregistered
AliaBrown
Unregistered
A

I have a self mutilator here. Trust me, she wont leave it alone. We had to put her in an ecollar and the tail got black (dead skin) and died. So, she had to have surgery to remove that part of her tail. The first surgery was done wrong, so she had to have another. Watch out for her scab turning black and hard. This means that it is dead and will need to be removed. If you notice she wont leave the tail alone you might want to put an ecollar on her until it heals. Otherwise she will do worse damage.

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #437803
12/19/07 07:06 PM

B
Brittney
Unregistered
Brittney
Unregistered
B

OK a few more questions:
How old is she?
Is your cage exposed metal or coated?
How big is her cage?
Please take a look at the button at the top of the page that says "links" and click on it when you have time to look and go to the GC diet links page. It would greatly help your glider to be on a proven diet.
You might consider sending Jen on here a PM as she sells glider E-collars. I know it seems kind of silly at first, but as I mentioned if she keeps picking at herself she could hurt herself. Jen could also offer you lots of advice as she has a lot of experience with Self mutilating gliders. Her screen name on here is Xfilefan - if you have any trouble finding her to PM her please just send me a messsage and I'll help you!

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #437804
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
OVERGROOMING: there can be many causes...from stress, illness, infection, bad diet, boredom, parasites and fungus such as ringworm (although with mites, they tend to attack the ears-eating them away to nothing). All possibilities need to be eliminated one at a time. Although over grooming with the tail, it could be stress, boredom, or injury, normally. Careful observation and experimentation with treatment is necessary, and vital to maintain a healthy glider.

Hair Loss on Tail: The tip of the tail could be boredom, stress or teeth/facial problems.
Middle tail could be a break or other trauma in the tail.
Base of the tail could be more serious and could be a prelude to self mutilation.

If she continues with overgrooming her tail I would suggest that you reschedule her for another exam.
You can apply some neosporin to it (only use the kind without pain reliever). Please keep us posted, and do try and get her back in to see a vet as soon as possible.

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #437806
12/19/07 07:08 PM
12/19/07 07:08 PM

B
Baske
Unregistered
Baske
Unregistered
B

I work for a vet, so thats who I took her to. She admitted she didn't know a great deal about sugar gliders. There is an exotic animal vet not too far from my house, should I take her to that vet asap or if Ginger's booboo doesn't get better?

Ya the vet told me about the ecollar but said in her opinion it would only make her miserable, especially since Ginger's just a baby. I feel horrible about her hurting herself, I want her to be as happy as possible.

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #437810
12/19/07 07:15 PM
12/19/07 07:15 PM

B
Baske
Unregistered
Baske
Unregistered
B

Ginger is 7 or 8 weeks old. I think her cage is coated, it's a white color, and its about 12" high, 14 long, and 10 wide. Thank you Brittney!

Thank you so much for that information LSardou. I'll keep everyone posted and try to schedule an exam with the exotic vet. She seems so happy when she's playing?

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #437814
12/19/07 07:17 PM
12/19/07 07:17 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I would take her to the exotic vet now. The good news is that it sounds like it's just a minor skin irritation, the bad news is that if left untreated it can get worse, and somtimes to the point where partial or all of the tail will need to be amputated. I'm not trying to scare you, just letting you know the reality of these situations with gliders. Once they start overgrooming, this is a sign of something is not right. I'm impressed that your catching this early before it happens to get worse.
Sending you and your little baby tons of hugs... hug2

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #437816
12/19/07 07:18 PM
12/19/07 07:18 PM

B
bdeese
Unregistered
bdeese
Unregistered
B

Where is the scab located? Gliders will pick at the abnormal things because they know something isnot right or it could be painful to them.
If your little one's tail doesnot get better i do recommend taking her to the exotics vet. Actually if you felt better with the vet you worked for maybe the exotic vet could do a phone consult.

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #437823
12/19/07 07:25 PM
12/19/07 07:25 PM

B
Baske
Unregistered
Baske
Unregistered
B

Aww, thanks LSardou, you're so sweet! Ill call that vet up asap!

The scab is about a half-inch from the tip of her tail. That's a good idea I can deinately call!

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #437826
12/19/07 07:30 PM
12/19/07 07:30 PM

B
Brittney
Unregistered
Brittney
Unregistered
B

Yeah I am with Linda - get her to an exotics vet. NOT JUST ANY EXOTIC vet! Too many vets will tell you they CAN treat gliders - and they can - but you need someone that has experience with them. What area of TX are you in? Perhaps someone here can recommend someone. At this young of an age I'm wondering why your baby has a scab... poor wittle thing!! Also, most gliders don't leave their parents til 8 weeks OOP, a lot of breeders strictly prefer at least 10 weeks oop. Is there a reason your little one was placed with you so young? (I'm just wondering, not trying to offend. You seem like you're "mothering" her just wonderfully!!!)

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #437827
12/19/07 07:31 PM
12/19/07 07:31 PM

B
Brittney
Unregistered
Brittney
Unregistered
B

Also, I don't know what your situation is, but if you can easily post a pic it would probably greatly help us advise you! smile

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #437846
12/19/07 07:44 PM
12/19/07 07:44 PM

B
Baske
Unregistered
Baske
Unregistered
B

I live near Houston. There's Steeplechse Animal Hospital nearby who say their experianced with suggies but if anyone nearby has someone they trust I'd love to know! I think since it's Christmas people have been buying so many from the breeder and they had to keep up with the demand. The breeders are licensed and I spoke with them several times before buying her, so I trusted they had a good opinion?

I'm trying to get my pictures to upload from my camera phone but my computer is most uncooperative! haha

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #437892
12/19/07 09:03 PM
12/19/07 09:03 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Originally Posted By: Baske
Ginger is 7 or 8 weeks old. I think her cage is coated, it's a white color, and its about 12" high, 14 long, and 10 wide. Thank you Brittney!

Thank you so much for that information LSardou. I'll keep everyone posted and try to schedule an exam with the exotic vet. She seems so happy when she's playing?
This cage is way too small for a permanent cage (or anything more than a couple hours really) frown Gliders need at the very minimum 2 feet square and 3 feet tall.

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #437905
12/19/07 09:30 PM
12/19/07 09:30 PM

B
Baske
Unregistered
Baske
Unregistered
B

Yes, I'm definately planning on upgrading.

I finally got my computer to work with me! Here's some pics of her tail:

See next post>

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #437906
12/19/07 09:31 PM
12/19/07 09:31 PM

B
Baske
Unregistered
Baske
Unregistered
B

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #437912
12/19/07 09:44 PM
12/19/07 09:44 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
From the looks of the last pic, it does look like she has groomed off a bit of fur. Most definitely please take her in to be checked over. Has she been seen for a wellness exam since you've had her? Here is what should be done to make sure there are no problems.

Wellness Check - What to expect as to first exam.
A first time exam....should consist of a fecal smear and float. vet should also check the animal's weight, fur, eyes, nose, mouth...gums and teeth, ears, feet and nails and base of the tail area and listen to the heart and lungs. This simple check can tell a good vet...the healthiness of any animal as well as your glider.

Under no circumstances should a vet "float (trim) the teeth". Sugar Gliders are not rodents and thus their teeth no not continue to grow throughout their lifetime. This practice of "floating teeth" is outdated and is inhumane to the Sugar Glider.

This is the time to ask about Emergency Care should a problem arise....especially after hours as this is often the time when a glider is seen ill...due to the glider being nocturnal.

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: LSardou] #437918
12/19/07 09:50 PM
12/19/07 09:50 PM

B
Baske
Unregistered
Baske
Unregistered
B

Okay, thank you! No, no wellness exam yet, but I'll schedule her an appointment tomorrow to that exotic animal vet nearby.

Everyone here is so knowledageable!!

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #438045
12/20/07 03:07 AM
12/20/07 03:07 AM

A
AliaBrown
Unregistered
AliaBrown
Unregistered
A

Just so you know, that looks exactly like my gliders tail when she self mutilated. It was hard to see up close but that's the same location and it looked the same. Make sure you watch the area. When I first noticed the tail was different it was because the parted fur. Throughout the next few weeks it scabbed over but got dark red and finally black. So, just make sure she is leaving it alone and that it stays a healthy red color.

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #438088
12/20/07 09:42 AM
12/20/07 09:42 AM

B
Baske
Unregistered
Baske
Unregistered
B

Right now it's still red and it doesn't look like she touched it last night. I kept her in my bra all day but last night she was very lethargic. She ran around a little bit and I tried to coax her to play but she didn't really wanna move around. So I held her and pet/ talked to her for a few hours.

Yay she didn't crab at all when I checked on her this morning!

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #438096
12/20/07 10:09 AM
12/20/07 10:09 AM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I'm a bit worried about her. I hope you will be able to get her in to see a vet today. Please keep us posted ok. hug2

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: LSardou] #438116
12/20/07 11:04 AM
12/20/07 11:04 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Please keep us updated on her! Like Linda, I'm worried about your little lady! Lethargy and unusual behaviors (like not crabbing when they usually do) are usually not very good signs worried

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: BeckiT] #438440
12/20/07 09:43 PM
12/20/07 09:43 PM

B
Baske
Unregistered
Baske
Unregistered
B

Okay, lil update:

I took her to work today. She hung out in my bra (haha!) put I put her in her pouch every so often which has some fruit and veggies in it. I work at an animal hospital (that doesn't treat exotics >:P) so I put some really good antibiotics on her tail.

Later I went to the store to get her some mealies, but ended up also buying a cage easily 3x bigger, a couple branches, some new toys, and a hammock.

Right now she's just chillin, she looks a lil scared of her new cage. Her tail looks like its healing a little and she's not picking at it. She's still kinda lethargic but it might just be the new cage. She wasn't interested in the mealies at all (I cut them up and squeezed them but she was like "um... ew") and not terribly interested in her food but she did just wake up.

Yesturday she crabbed at everything, today not so much. If she's still not in a playful mood I guess I'll just hold her for a few hours?

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #438445
12/20/07 09:52 PM
12/20/07 09:52 PM

B
Baske
Unregistered
Baske
Unregistered
B

Oops nevermind! Haha she exploring her cage and playing with the toys. I called the breeder and she said it was most likely just stress and to let her sleep a little more until she's completely comfortable with her new home.

Ginger certainly looks happier in her huge cage!

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #439353
12/23/07 12:07 AM
12/23/07 12:07 AM

B
Baske
Unregistered
Baske
Unregistered
B

UHHH!!! NOT GOOD! I had two days of work where I didn't take her. Yesterday she was fine and chipper but today she's nearly chewed her tail off! Its at a weird angle!!

I got a second glider (not tame whatsoever) and intros didn't go so well so the new one is in another cage. Could something like that set her off because her tail was not like that this morning.

So far I've been putting Animax on her tail. I called the local exotic vet and they told me the office visit alone was $60, not including a wellness or whatever for her tail. I'm gonna be sick I'm so worried about her frown frown frown

Last edited by Baske; 12/23/07 12:08 AM.
Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #439367
12/23/07 12:38 AM
12/23/07 12:38 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
she needs to see the vet now. She also needs to be in an ecollar so as not to cause anymore damage to her already injured tail!

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: BeckiT] #439481
12/23/07 04:43 AM
12/23/07 04:43 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
We can't stress enough the importance of stopping the damage she's doing to herself ASAP. Here is a thread about a glider that recently went through this, and is now recovering, but it has tons of need to know information in it for you:

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=405208&fpart=1

Your little one needs to get in, get on pain meds and antibiotics FAST, this thread will also discuss collars and feeding, etc. It may seem like a long way from anything vital, but once the skin is broken, a systemic infection can develop quickly and will kill.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Tail chewing. [Re: Xfilefan] #439648
12/23/07 04:18 PM
12/23/07 04:18 PM

B
Baske
Unregistered
Baske
Unregistered
B

Has anyone tried medical tape? Has anyone tried that? It seems a little kinder than an e collar.

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: ] #439659
12/23/07 05:06 PM
12/23/07 05:06 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Here is a discussion link on a different type of ecolar. PLEASE, I really hope that you get your little girl into see a vet ASAP, I am terriably worried about her at this point...she needs to have professional medical attention NOW, before things get any worse. I'm not sure if you realize the importance of this or not, but if her tail is left unattended any longer, and if she is not put on antibiotics and pain medication now, her tail can necrose and move its way up into her body.
New Style of ecolar
Please keep us posted sending your little girl lost of prayers!

Re: Tail chewing. [Re: LSardou] #439672
12/23/07 05:34 PM
12/23/07 05:34 PM

B
Baske
Unregistered
Baske
Unregistered
B

A friend of mine said she took her exotic to the same vet for a similar problem and it cost her $300 and all they did was IVs. There's no way I can afford that until my next check. I feel horrible and I do understand the importance. I've been keeping her on me all day and so far she hasn't messed with her tail. I'm still putting Animax on it as well.

The link didn't work, and thank you cry

Edit: I'm going to pick up the supplies to make her an e collar.

Last edited by Baske; 12/23/07 05:46 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024