Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: Usha77] #445316
01/04/08 06:12 PM
01/04/08 06:12 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Ok...I called in the onfo to my vet and left a message with all the info saying I need these three meds and why...hopefully my Dr will ok it. He can call me if he has questions or concerns...but I talked a bit about Riker and his condition and how the infecttion got near his brain and told them I want to stop it and kill it before it gets that far in her. This has been going on too long for my liking already and we are on what...day 4 now...so I hope he okays the meds and that I can get them and start giving them as soon as today...tomorrow at the latest.

Will keep you up to date on this...my biggest thanks go out to Jen and Suz. No offense to anyone else...these two have been where I am and given WONDERFUL advice and hopefully it will get my girl all better. Thanks to everyone else that has posted, read, offered any advice they can and kept us in your thoughts. She needs all the help she can get.

Her eye is still swollen...but it is more closed today...so not so bulgly looking. I am guessing it is from them lancing below her eye...maybe squinting from pain or just a new sort of swelling from the incision and healing...not too worried at this point...at least it does not look like it is popping out for now! My good girl finally desided she HATES her Ace/Torb...lol...took her long enough. She would lick it and shake her head...then go back and do it again...over and over. My boys HATED Ace/Torb...but I do not want her in pain...so she gets to take it...like or dislike. Sorry Ivy.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: cinnamonstix] #445587
01/05/08 12:54 AM
01/05/08 12:54 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
...still waiting to hear from my vet...

...come on already...lol...
...I am sure he is just a busy man...but still...ugh.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: cinnamonstix] #445683
01/05/08 03:46 AM
01/05/08 03:46 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Well, for some unknown reason my vet did not call back...so it looks like I will be calling again tomorrow...which I am unhappy about. Not sure what happened...but I expected to hear back...no matter what time it was he had to call.

She is pretty swollen today...I am thinking the new swelling has a lot to do with the lancing yasterday. Her eye has been mostly shut all day. She did get the incision just below her eye...so someone just reassure me that would cause some new swelling. I think I am right anyways.

I had hoped to get her on the combo meds today...looks like it will be tomorrow...whether I call or have to sit and wait to talk to him...I am there.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: cinnamonstix] #445705
01/05/08 06:49 AM
01/05/08 06:49 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Yes, it would cause some swelling. I would sit in his office until he sees her. I wouldn't bother calling him back. She may have more infection and needs to be seen.

Personally, I would start looking for another vet and a second opinion after this. Gliders don't have time like other animals to mess around when they have a problem.

Praying for Ivy and your friends' glider.

HUGS

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: Usha77] #445847
01/05/08 03:08 PM
01/05/08 03:08 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Well I did get a call back and was approved on more Baytril and also the Clindamyacin...not sure how pressing the Flagyl is...I would still like to try getting it...he said it will do the same thing as the Clindamyacin.

When they called they failed to tell me what time they close...now I have called the emergency line so they will call me back and I can go get my meds NOW...because I am not waiting til Monday.

Should be getting a returned call momentarilly so I can figure out if seomone will be there for me to get my meds...since no one answers the phone I guess.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: cinnamonstix] #445911
01/05/08 05:30 PM
01/05/08 05:30 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
hug2 I'm sorry - you must be so frustrated. I hope these meds will clear it up fast!

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa
Dogs: Nacho & Dory
RIP my glider angels: Nynaeve, Poppy, Lan, Toffee, Zoey, Tika & Tas

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: Usha77] #445926
01/05/08 05:55 PM
01/05/08 05:55 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Ok...got the Clindamyacin and the Baytril. They were closed...but let me in to go get it...so whatever it costs me...I have to pay it next time I go in...I HOPE this clears up soon!

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: cinnamonstix] #446069
01/05/08 09:41 PM
01/05/08 09:41 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Within 48 hours of the incision, she has had a lot of swelling...which is pretty normal (vet agrees also)...but now she is on both Clindamyacin and Baytril...and we picked up some Activa yogurt...cuz I KNOW she will be needing it really bad now being on two antibiotics.

The vet was not too enthused to put her on 3...that is why I was only given the two. I am not sure exactly what the Flagyl does...but she is not on it right now. He did not want to wipe out her intestinal tract any more than we will be doing already...which again...I can understand.

She was a bit sneezy today...I am hoping that is ok. She seems to only sneeze when I take her out...she does not sneeze when I leave her alone...so it could be her getting huffy-puffy with me I would think.

So...with sinus infevtions...does it generally only cause swelling on side? She only has swelling on the left side of her face...no where else. Everything otherwise with her appears fine.Since the cut the swelling has become more round and not isolated to just the small area under her eye...rather than making her eye bulge...it is mostly swollen shut...which seems to put less pressure on the eyeball itself.

I am continuing to watch her closely and give her the meds as directed. Anything else I should be doing let me know.

If it is not a sinus...I am hoping whatever it is gets cleared out by these antibiotics...it is a lot for such a little baby! I know she is not happy...and I do not expect her to be...I just want her to feel better soon...and giving her Torb makes her even more unhappy.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: cinnamonstix] #446085
01/05/08 09:49 PM
01/05/08 09:49 PM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
Awww..poor Ivy!! I thought for sure you would start to see some improvment by now. It will come, it just takes time for the meds to start working. Hang in there Gwen..I'm still right there with ya! hug2 hug2

Cindy
Mom to
Jae, Ashton, Briannah, Nevaeh & Addy

& all my fuzzies!
Breeder of Leu's, Mosaics, wfb, and standard grey's.
Owner of www.MySugarAddiction.com

:rtmo: :leu:

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: GliderLove] #446086
01/05/08 09:50 PM
01/05/08 09:50 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
I think the lack of improvment has all to do with him lansing...well that and now she is on MORE meds.

Least we are not in an e collar smile

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: cinnamonstix] #446116
01/05/08 10:19 PM
01/05/08 10:19 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
hehehe...there is a bright side to everything. I'm sure Ivy would agree she's glad not to be in the collar as well! wink

hug2

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: Usha77] #446974
01/07/08 03:08 AM
01/07/08 03:08 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Gwen, how is she doing now? Has the swelling gone down?

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: SugarBlossoms] #446992
01/07/08 05:59 AM
01/07/08 05:59 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
The swelling has subsided and started to slowly decrease...very slowly though. Her eye is a bit goopy...I think it is from the infection starting to come to the surface...I have been cleaning it a couple of times a day to de-goop and get it unstuck. Her incision is scabbed over and not reacting to peroxide...so it is clean...YAY! Her swollen eye area is pink...normal I would suppose from swelling. She is eating and drinking well. A bit cranky still, but mostly she is getting by with one eye and a bit of pain I am guessing. I try torb with her...she likes to shake it out and spit it...so I doubt she is getting much and REFUSES yogurt mixed meds...lol. Pooing and peeing normal and plenty of both. She is eating woms great...but desiding not to finish one before she is ready for the next and leaving the heads uneaten.

She sleeps a bit...but she generally does...she wa really hyper tonight...very squirmy. The napping often is good to help her heal...I am sure the infection makes her sleepy...not to mention the Clindamyacin an Baytril.

I have faith she will get better and be as beautif as before...it is just going to take some time...and lots of care yet.

Oh...she was in my shirt yesterday too...first time ever...she seemed very content in there...it was very sweet! Her boy has been super nice too...which is something that makes me very happy. He used to be such a nut...he is getting less difficult day by day!

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: cinnamonstix] #447017
01/07/08 08:57 AM
01/07/08 08:57 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
I'm glad the swelling is slowly starting to subside. Your theories about the infection clearing and draining seem to be right on target thumb To answer your earlier question, if it is a sinus infection, the swelling could and probably would be confined to one side of the face. At least, that's what happened in Cricky's case... Thanks for the continued updates hug2

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: sugarglidersuz] #447074
01/07/08 11:11 AM
01/07/08 11:11 AM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
I'm so glad to hear she is getting better! hug2 Keep us posted! laugh

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: Usha77] #447224
01/07/08 03:54 PM
01/07/08 03:54 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
And so am I right assuming that the goop in her eye is the meds drawing the infection out?

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: cinnamonstix] #447346
01/07/08 06:03 PM
01/07/08 06:03 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
OK...so the eye is more open today and less goopy. I did not have to clean and open it today...that is definite progress.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: cinnamonstix] #447749
01/08/08 02:56 AM
01/08/08 02:56 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Gwen, my computer's been down and I just got it back a few horus ago-I'm at work now, but if you don't have the dosages yet I can get them for you (based on weight-so your vet will have to calculate out) in the morning. I replied to your PM a few minutes ago.

The difference between the Flagyl (metronidazole) and other common broad spectrum antibiotics is the Flagyl works better on ANAEROBIC BACTERIA, where the others do not work very well, if at all. Anaerobics are those that grow/thrive with little to no air-such as in bone infection, sinuses, tooth and other closed abscesses.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: Xfilefan] #447753
01/08/08 03:06 AM
01/08/08 03:06 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
I'm glad she seems to be doing better. I hope she gets over this completely soon. smile

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: cinnamonstix] #447891
01/08/08 10:07 AM
01/08/08 10:07 AM

J
JCBennett
Unregistered
JCBennett
Unregistered
J

From what I gather from the pictures it looked like her eye did when Zoey had an infection in there. The vet said he didn't see anything in her eye that would have caused it but her eye was very swollen underneath and I thought it may have been the same thing as well. But the vet put her on some antibiotics and we had to give her two different drops 12 hours apart from each other. Is there any way there could be a scratch in there? I would say take her to the vet and have it looked at. They may have to put her under to get a closer look at it. They did with ZoZo and after they flushed it out it was way more swollen then it was before. Just to give you a warning in case it happens. Her eye was swollen for a week roughly, but once it went away her 3rd eyelid was back to normal and we haven't had any problems since. I figured I would throw the 3rd eyelid thing out there in hopes it isn't a tooth problem. Good luck and I hope your lil baby gets to feeling better.
My prayers are with you.

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: ] #447905
01/08/08 10:23 AM
01/08/08 10:23 AM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
That's great news Gwen!!! hug2

Cindy
Mom to

& all my fuzzies!

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: GliderLove] #448626
01/09/08 10:34 AM
01/09/08 10:34 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Third eyelid is no longer showing...still some swelling, but her face is more glider like...does not resemble that golf ball roundness anymore. YAY...THE MEDS ARE WORKING!!! My girl is starting to look so much better finally! We still have a long road ahead of us though...making sure it gets GONE and does not come back again.

Thanks again Jen for your recent info!

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: cinnamonstix] #448629
01/09/08 10:36 AM
01/09/08 10:36 AM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
Yay! Keep it up, Ivy! hug2

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: Usha77] #448651
01/09/08 11:25 AM
01/09/08 11:25 AM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
dance YAY!! I'm so happy she is recovering! Now If I could only get Popeye there upset

Cindy
Mom to

& all my fuzzies!

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: GliderLove] #448890
01/09/08 06:34 PM
01/09/08 06:34 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
I KNOW...I am so happy too! She looked so good when she got her meds today...not lika all better...lol...but good and definitely improving. Her eye is still normal...not bulging like in the start.

***Hoping Popeye gets better soon too Cindy!

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: cinnamonstix] #450941
01/12/08 08:24 PM
01/12/08 08:24 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
She looks almost all the way better. What a relief. We had to up her yogurt intake...the meds were giving her some runny goop poo, it is improving. She LOVES guava yogurt!

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: cinnamonstix] #450949
01/12/08 08:33 PM
01/12/08 08:33 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Gwen, I'm so glad that she's doing so much better clap Thanks for the updates hug2

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: sugarglidersuz] #450972
01/12/08 09:33 PM
01/12/08 09:33 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Oh, but of course Suz! I KNOW better...lol. Plus I expect the same of everyone else...

Thanks again for everyone's help so far in this battle.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: cinnamonstix] #451078
01/13/08 01:20 AM
01/13/08 01:20 AM

L
Ley
Unregistered
Ley
Unregistered
L

Yay for Ivy's eye getting better!!! mlove

Re: My Ivy is sick [Re: ] #466945
02/01/08 12:46 PM
02/01/08 12:46 PM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline OP
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Ivy has not had ANY meds the last 4 days and is still looking great! The few days beofre that I dosed her every 48 hours...did that I think twice before cutting her off recently...and she is doing very well. I am watching very close to make sure we do not get a recurrent infectioin...but it was well over a week she was on meds still with no sighns of swelling or irritation before cutting her dosage and then finally taking her off the meds.

She had become a very crabby girl...very stubborn about taking her meds...started shaking her head to get rid of the meds...spitting them out...she was even to the point where she was bitting me and angry about taking them...so I think she really was trying to tell me...NO MORE FOR REAL MOM...I HAVE HAD ENOUGH...I AM BETTER ALREADY. She even started refusing any yogurt that had meds in it...so we HAD to go back to the old fashioned way...syringe in the moth...and she hated it.

But my girl is looking all better...eye is back to normal. She has a small scar under her eye from the incision...but that is the least of my worries...she is alive, well and beautiful and still gives me kisses on my nose...even when she was mad at me.

Thanks everyone...we could not have done it with out your help. Nagging my Dr for that Clindamyacin made ALL the difference and I have plenty to spare if I ever see any swelling again in the near future...but fingers crossed we will not!

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 407 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,611 TEXAS
679,090 OHIO
487,190 OKLAHOMA
432,191 UTAH
321,711 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024