Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cinnabons Surgery + picts #450633
01/12/08 05:25 AM
01/12/08 05:25 AM

T
thegliderlady
Unregistered
thegliderlady
Unregistered
T

I am writing to ask for your thoughts and prayers for my boy Cinnabon who I have had for 6 years. On Sunday I found a wound on his back which almost looked like a mating injury at first but this is my big male.I called the emergency vet and he said since there was no blood I should keep him seperate and bring him in firsat thing i the morning.Monday am we went to Kansas State vet teaching hospitals exotics dept. They said it was an abcess and had to put him under anesthesia to clean the wound and remove the dead tissue. They cleaned it and covered it with gause and a covering that almost felt like plastic wrap which they glued to the skin. every day he came back to k state where they cut the middle of the bandage away and left the outer circle glued to him. when they flushed the wound and covered it again, they glued the bandage over the old one so they didnt have to remove the bandage. He seems to be doing well, but Idlo e your prayers.
Photos are here: They are graphic...
Cinnabons Pics
i have more photos for those who are interested.

Last edited by LSardou; 01/12/08 01:31 PM. Reason: fixed link
Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: ] #450643
01/12/08 07:56 AM
01/12/08 07:56 AM

T
TammyH
Unregistered
TammyH
Unregistered
T

hug2 I hope Cinnabon keeps doing well. I looked at the pics and it was so sad to see such a big wound. He's lucky to have you. I'm curious as to how you got pics in the operating room? I guess you know the vet quite well!

Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: ] #450645
01/12/08 08:16 AM
01/12/08 08:16 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this with Cinnabon frown Fortunately, you seem to have an excellent veterinary team taking excellent care of him. Thank you for the pictures - they are very educational thumb I will definitely be keeping Cinnabon in my prayers as he continues to recover from this abscess hug2

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: sugarglidersuz] #450742
01/12/08 01:33 PM
01/12/08 01:33 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
hug2 Gina, I'm so sorry to hear about sweet little Cinnabon! Please give me a call if you need anything or just want to talk, ya know I'm just down the stree! Sending you and Cinnabon tons of hugs and prayers. heart

Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: LSardou] #450745
01/12/08 01:46 PM
01/12/08 01:46 PM

C
chrailee
Unregistered
chrailee
Unregistered
C

thats so great to see that hes doing so well.

Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: ] #450757
01/12/08 01:59 PM
01/12/08 01:59 PM
South Florida
kristenfl Offline
Glider Guardian
kristenfl  Offline
Glider Guardian

South Florida
WOW that is graphic but it really shows us how emergency surgery can go! I think it was a great idea to post this. Thank you for the information on your site also. I hope he is doing good. Sending our suggie hugs and kisses smile .

Kristen
Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: kristenfl] #450774
01/12/08 02:32 PM
01/12/08 02:32 PM

T
thegliderlady
Unregistered
thegliderlady
Unregistered
T

Thank you all for your prayers, and please keep them coming.
I wont be done loosing sleep until he is better and back with his wife. They are certainly missing eachother and I dont want her to stop eating thinking he is gone, so I have been bringing them nose to nose through the cage. I swear I saw tears in her eyes.
Tammy, I have been in contact with the K State staff sine I got here to be sure I had an emergency vet on hand. I was making plans to take the gliders in for the exotics dept to see and handle under the head vet of the exotics dept. He has written books of vet info on gliders but said it isnt often they get well bonded gliders or even gliders that are easy to look at without anesthesia. Our vet student who was FANTASTIC said she was forwarned she would be getting bitten and would have a very hard time examining him, and to her surprise she got to love and cuddle mr Cinnabon. They were taking photos in the back, and once I knew he was going to make it on the first day I brought mine in and asked if they would take photos. The vets even burned me a CD of the images they had taken with their cameras. I have 2 pages of photobucket picts they took during the 4 day ordeal. They did surgery on him every day until they closed the wound on Thursday. I will be eating peanut butter sammys for a while, and I will be looking for a new job as soon as he is better, as I have a vet bill to pay. He is worth every penny and I will not complain because they did such a great job and he is so very important to me and my kiddos. I am very tired, and wont be sleeping much, but I need to know he is doing well, eating and not scratching at his stitches.
Please keep praying and thank you so much foryour words of encouragement, they mean more than I can ever tell you all.
if anyone wants to see the rest of the photos, let me know, but they are extremely graphic and show each days surgery.

Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: kristenfl] #450775
01/12/08 02:33 PM
01/12/08 02:33 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
So sorry he has been dealing with this, prayers that he continues to heal well and is better very soon. Hugs to both of you hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: sugarlope] #450839
01/12/08 04:06 PM
01/12/08 04:06 PM
East Texas (Tyler Tx)
MagicEyez Offline
Glider Slave
MagicEyez  Offline
Glider Slave

East Texas (Tyler Tx)
My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your little one! What an awesome mom he has!!!! heart

Please keep us updated as were all wishin for a speedy recovery!!!! hug2

‡*Lauri -aka- Queen Of Everything*‡
:glider: Draven, Diego, Dirk, Delilah, KC & Sunshine :glider:
(^-_-^) Mom to 2 cats - Missy & Furby (^-_-^)

All around furbutt lover & Offical Member of the DB's Club

http://txmagiceyez.webs.com/index.htm
Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: MagicEyez] #450853
01/12/08 05:23 PM
01/12/08 05:23 PM

T
TammyH
Unregistered
TammyH
Unregistered
T

Thank you for the personal reply!
Best wishes to you both.

Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: ] #451178
01/13/08 05:34 AM
01/13/08 05:34 AM

T
thegliderlady
Unregistered
thegliderlady
Unregistered
T

Cinna is not out of the woods yet, and has a check up on monday.Please keep the prayers coming.
Cinnabon wants to say thank you for the prayers and support. Tonight he is acting a bit more like himself. Right now i am a glider gym and he is climbing and playing with me. He even started marking me with his head and chest cause i held the other gliders. i even got a booty dance. Go Cinna!! his wound is looking good. no fluids leaking and he is even growing new fur over his shaved areas.
If anyone wants to sign a thank you note for the staff at the exotics dept at K-State let me know, by a reply to this or a PM. I really want them to know how much I appreciate what they are doing and have done for us. They even called to check up on him the day after surgery, and sending me the photos of the surgery as well as taking my camera back. They even kept Cinnas baby blanket with him as he was goingunder anestesia and coming out. He loves to have a blanket and carries it all over his bedroom.
Thanks again for every prayer and good thought.

Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: ] #452634
01/15/08 06:31 AM
01/15/08 06:31 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Prayers for your guy!! hug2 And glad he's doing better.

I'd like to ask also if I could copy your pics for my archive (glider wounds/surgeries/etc.)? If you want, I'll give you my Chronos' surgery pics also.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: Xfilefan] #452640
01/15/08 07:35 AM
01/15/08 07:35 AM
Marquette, MI
Kimberly1979 Offline
Glider Explorer
Kimberly1979  Offline
Glider Explorer

Marquette, MI
aww I seen those pictures and had tears in my eyes the poor thing. I am happy to see he is doing well!

Now Proud Owner Of 1 male Sugar Glider NicNic <Nicolus> 5yrs old
Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: Kimberly1979] #453631
01/16/08 05:15 AM
01/16/08 05:15 AM

T
thegliderlady
Unregistered
thegliderlady
Unregistered
T

Thank you so much.I didnt post to make anyone cry, Im sorry :-(
On Monday I went to pay the final bill. I really think they did an amazing job and I dont want to complain. The cost was outrageous,they charged me .85 for each pair of gloves, and $10.00 for gause. It wasnt the surgical teams fault the hospital charges what they do, but wow it was it a lot, but worth it to have my gorgeous boy better!!!!!
The vet student in charge of our case came out to see us for free, and said she couldnt believe how great he looked.she asked if she could take him back to show the surgical team, and they all agreed he looked better than they even hoped for. The team all came out to see me and told me how great he looked. They asked what I did to take care of him so they could document it in case they get any more cases like this.
Ill admit I got really emotional when I saw all of them come out, they were just so wonderful and caring. i cried when i thanked them. They will see Cinnabon for an actual re-check on Thursday. He is still on pain meds and antibiotics until thursday.
if anyone wants to see the other pics let me know. The skin they removed was the size of a half dollar.

Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: ] #455372
01/18/08 02:16 AM
01/18/08 02:16 AM

T
thegliderlady
Unregistered
thegliderlady
Unregistered
T

Cinnabon is doing well.WHEW! They allcame in to look at him and said he looks great. There is a scab and it is starting to come off which means he is healing. I get to stop the pain meds and still have to watch him to make sure he doesnt get infected. He is on antiiotics until Monday.I will keep him and Savannah seperated until he heals a bit more. Im afraid she will try to clean the wound too much. When I hold her she liks and "bathes" me and will bite off any scab or rough spot on my skin cause she thinks it doesnt belong there.
He is playing and gliding and acting like himself. The stitches will hold and are starting to discinigrate and so they said the surgery was a sucess. Now I will continue the after care. I let him into the big cage from his carrier but he started rubbing his back on the bars (Im sure he is itchy) so I will put him in the carrier while I sleep and let him play in the big cage when I can watch him.
THANK YOU ALL for all your support, prayers and the many well wishes. I know that was what helped us get through this. I have also made a thank you card for the staff at KState and added your comments prayers.
Bless each one of you and your little fur kids,and know your comments made things so much easier for me to get through this.

Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: ] #455380
01/18/08 02:27 AM
01/18/08 02:27 AM
Quincy, IL 62305
Lynsie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Lynsie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL 62305
I am so glad that he is doing so well. That was one NASTY wound.

You will need to keep him seperated from his mate until his back is completely healed. You have to wait until the scab is gone and enough new skin grows over that when she does groom it, because she will, that she doesn't injur him again.

Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: Lynsie] #455389
01/18/08 02:40 AM
01/18/08 02:40 AM

T
thegliderlady
Unregistered
thegliderlady
Unregistered
T

The wound I saw was much smaller,but the abcess had caused a lotof flesh under the skin to go bad, so they had to remove a lot of skin.this is the actual skin they removed. the hole in the skin is the wound I saw. The skin they removed.
It really hit me how these amazing creatures can be so hurt and not let it show.
Thank you for your advice.I will keep them apart but continue to let them visit through the cage. It breaks my heart to see them kiss eachother but I need her to know he is ok.I even feed them next to eachother so they can see and hear eachtoher while they eat. He comes upstairs with me to bed in his carrier.
Thanks again!

Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: ] #455447
01/18/08 08:08 AM
01/18/08 08:08 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
It's good that you're continuing to allow them to visit with each other. Once the sutures are completely dissolved you will be able to allow them to have supervised playtime together. However, they'll need to be separated until the fur starts to grow back in again over the new skin. With such a large wound area though, keep in mind that there will likely be a large scar and some of the skin won't grow new fur - that's what happened with my DaisyMae. The way I knew it was completely healed in her case was that the fur starting to grow back in at the margins of the wound. Until the fur starts growing back, the wound is still healing on the inside so even though the outside looks healed over, the other glider will try to groom the wound and possibly reopen it. That happened twice to my DaisyMae and finally Jen/Xfilefan told me to wait until the fur started growing back in and Voila! that was the key smile
Continuing to keep all of you in my prayers. God bless you hug2

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: sugarglidersuz] #466802
02/01/08 02:35 AM
02/01/08 02:35 AM

T
thegliderlady
Unregistered
thegliderlady
Unregistered
T

Cinnabon is such a sweet boy. He is doing well, and continuing to heal. The corner of the wound has opened a bit, but the vets say it looks good. I clean it twice a day with antiseptic wipes and give him antibiotics still. he medicine hates his meds but he is being a trooper and he knows he gets a treat if he does well.
Cinnabon thanks everyone for their help, except the advice about his wife, boy does he miss her, but they are getting time together all supervised.
A quick question...It seems there are more abcesses lately, or am I just noticing it more?

Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: ] #466805
02/01/08 02:37 AM
02/01/08 02:37 AM

H
heavenlybean
Unregistered
heavenlybean
Unregistered
H

i'm so glad your little guy is doing well and healing. and i'm glad he gets to visit with his wife! i know they must miss each other!

rho

Re: Cinnabons Surgery + picts [Re: ] #466817
02/01/08 03:43 AM
02/01/08 03:43 AM

C
chrailee
Unregistered
chrailee
Unregistered
C

i am so glad that he is doing well.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024