Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Please keep Petey in your thoughts #483319
02/21/08 10:05 AM
02/21/08 10:05 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
I have to bring him in today. He is crabbing and licking his cloaca and won't eat. He has been fine, although last night when I fed them, he did not come out (he is usually right there waiting for his beloved corn). This morning he came out and proceeded to try to go, crab, then lick over and over down there. There is no evidence of any chewing, thank God. I have an appt. for 2:30 (my vet is in surgery, so could not be any sooner). I will be bringing Roo for support and I am also bringing Timmy and Gidget, as I want them to check to see if they can find a pouch on her (since one has never been able to be found). That will explain a few things if they don't find one. Anyway, I'm sick as a dog, but I need to get my boy ok. I will post later when I get home. And I will be getting a needle to 'inject mealies' as I KNOW Petey will be a very not cooperative patient! Wish us luck. Is there anything in particular I should ask for? Never dealt with one before. Thanks!

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: LSardou] #483350
02/21/08 11:04 AM
02/21/08 11:04 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
I am watching him. I do have an ecollar ready to go, but I am hoping to not have to use it (I KNOW he will freak out if I have to!) I am glad my vet is in today (she isn't tomorrow! Plus we got a big snowstorm coming tomorrow, so if this had to happen, today is the best day!) I will post as soon as I get home. If it is a UTI, what is the best drug of choice? Just want to make sure before if it turns out to be that (I am sure my vet knows, but just checking). Thanks guys. I hate that he is not feeling well.

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: ] #483715
02/21/08 06:11 PM
02/21/08 06:11 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
We just got home. I need help! He did fine all day, and now that we are home he is crabbing like crazy and going after himself down there *(the vet felt he would be ok and wouldn't need the ecollar, but now he is going crazy after it!) I have one, but have never put one on. Do I tape it on? He had green stuff coming out of his cloaca and it smelled 'musky'. She gave him an injection of Baytril and sent that home with him. But now that he is home, he is really crabbing and licking back there. Guys, help me, how do I get this on him (I am alone right now, too, so I have to do it by myself!)

Mary
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: pappy1264] #483722
02/21/08 06:17 PM
02/21/08 06:17 PM
Connecticut
Kitkatt1216 Offline
Glider Slave
Kitkatt1216  Offline
Glider Slave

Connecticut
Mary, never had to use one but yes I believe you tape them. Poor Petey! What did they say he had? Good luck!

Katrina
Owned by Murphy and Peanut

**RIP My loves Amunet, MiaKoda, and Kieko**
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: Kitkatt1216] #483727
02/21/08 06:24 PM
02/21/08 06:24 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
She decided to not even irritate him down there more trying to get a sample, as it was obvious he needed antibiotics. She didn't give him anything for pain. Do you think he is in pain? He keeps trying to go, then crabbing/hissing and then licking back there. I am going to go try to get this on him. God, I wish she had put one on him, but she said with the injection, he should start feeling better and didn't think he would go after it.

Mary
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: pappy1264] #483767
02/21/08 06:59 PM
02/21/08 06:59 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
I have Torbitol from the last glider neuter (it has been refrigerated). Do you think that is still ok and should I give it to him? I asked them that. He was going to ask the vet there (Dr. Strake has already left for the day). I tried to get the collar on with no luck (not even sure the one I have fits him, but he is pretty bitey for one person to do it, but I did try.) Right now have him in a pouch in my lap to keep an eye on him. He looks exhausted! I offered a wax worm and a mealie, nope wouldn't touch it. Even tried his favorite, corn, and he would not take that. But that may be because he is just really upset. I feel awful.

Mary
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: ] #483781
02/21/08 07:22 PM
02/21/08 07:22 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
They called back. It is not expired. He got weighed today, so they gave me the dose (he liked it, mixed with apple juice, drank it right up!) They want me to call back at 7:30 and let him know how he is (I won't make it before they close. My hubby will be home later, so I can have him try to help with the collar and if not, I will stay up to watch over him tonight and then tomorrow morning first thing, head down and they will put one on him. He is tired and settling down in my lap, so I HOPE both meds will kick in. This has been awful!

Mary
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: pappy1264] #483787
02/21/08 07:27 PM
02/21/08 07:27 PM

L
Leyna
Unregistered
Leyna
Unregistered
L

Oh Mary, I'm so sorry to hear you are having so many problems! It sounds like your little man is constipated on top of having an infection. Try to get some mineral oil in him and see if you can get his bowls to move. It might help make him feel better heart

Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: ] #483791
02/21/08 07:32 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
I will try. In the past, I would give him some oranges to get things moving. He likes them. Would that not be good with a possible UTI? He is lying in my lap grooming (not his bottom, his regular grooming so I am hoping MAYBE the meds are kicking in. I will keep him with me all night. He is so tired, I can see it in his face and eyes. Should I offer him a tiny piece of orange?

Mary
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: ] #483792

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

Mary, so sorry to hear Petey is having a hard time hug2 I think you are VERY smart, IMHO, to go with the Torb as instructed...hopefully this will help him stop going after it...I imagine if he is going after it he probably is uncomfortable.

Will anyone be coming home soon who can help you with the ecollar? I have not put one on before, sorry I can't be of more help...obviously (I'm sure you know) you can't stick tape to the fur but I can't imagine it would hurt to use tape to adjust the e-collar to the right size and tape it to itself to adjust it. Based on your description, I think you are wise to have him in one unless you can keep an eye on him all night.

hug2 Hang in there

Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: pappy1264] #483793
02/21/08 07:33 PM
02/21/08 07:33 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Can too much corn constipate them? (I don't give tons, but he tends to hog it all, he likes that over mealies!)

Mary
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: GliderGuy93] #483809
02/21/08 07:56 PM
02/21/08 07:56 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Mary, no oranges for Petey. It can cause burning and oranges are what caused my glider years ago to get a UTI. I didn't know then not to feed them. Too much acid.

Libbey's canned pure pack pumpkin is what to give for constipation OR diarreah. It works for both and is the ONLY canned food recommended.

The corn shouldn't cause any issues with constipation although be sure he doesn't overeat the corn.

I pray Petey gets well fast, he will! You're a great glider mom!! hug2

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: SugarBlossoms] #483826
02/21/08 08:13 PM
02/21/08 08:13 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Ok, I can try that. I am not even sure he is constipated at the moment (pretty sure he went today....it was a bit of a hectic day). But with the issues going on, it is always a possibility. The discharge smelled musky, so there is a question he has an infection in his scent gland (or an irritation at the least). Anyone have any experience with that???? The vet said the Baytril will cover all bases, though.

Mary
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: pappy1264] #483842
02/21/08 08:24 PM
02/21/08 08:24 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

When we first took Zeus to the vet, he also had greenish stuff coming out of his scent gland that stunk to high heaven...in her words, his scent glands were very "backed up" and he hadn't been grooming himself or expressing them properly, but they were not infected. He ended up not having any problems with them and stunk way less after being neutered.

Sorry if this isn't much of a help...but perhaps when Petey is all better, neutering might possibly help if he is having scent gland problems. Again, I've been told neutering does not stop the scent glands entirely, but I am under the impression (from what I've heard and experience) less testosterone can reduce the amount of smelly stuff he produces, thus reducing the likelihood of that getting jammed.

I almost wonder if the reason he was flossing himself so much before was maybe he WAS having a UTI coming up or a scent gland infection that was making him bother the area more? I know you are concerned about neutering him because he is so interested in this area, and you know Petey best...but food for thought, maybe when he is well, maybe neutering him may actually REDUCE these behaviors and potential complications.

Like I said, just my two cents, and you know Petey better than any of us. Neutering can be scary; I know I was having a heart attack when Zeus was getting neutered. My heart goes out to him especially since Zoey almost ended up being his cage buddy mlove I wish you guys the best and please just let me know if there is anything else we can do...you will be in our thoughts hug2 mlove hug2

Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: ] #483873
02/21/08 08:50 PM
02/21/08 08:50 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Petey is neutered! (That is Timmy who is the flossing king!)

Mary
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: pappy1264] #483985
02/21/08 11:11 PM
02/21/08 11:11 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

D'oh. I must have Timmy and Petey mixed up in my brain. Duuuuuuuh tounge Sorry about that.

That is really weird then. How odd.

I wish I knew more so I could help you out hug2

Is he doing any better after the Torb?

Last edited by 7glider7; 02/21/08 11:12 PM.
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: ] #483989
02/21/08 11:15 PM
02/21/08 11:15 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
No, he is worse. And now I am confused and upset. I just went in there and Roo is now going crazy trying to get to her back end! What is going on? Can they pass it to each other???? I will definitely be going back in the am, the collar we have is too small for Petey, I don't know what to do. I am sick with worry. He woke up from his nap and was crabbing almost uncontrollably. He now is quiet (napping) and now Roo is trying to lick back there (she is really fat and can't reach, so it is like she has a built in collar on) but can they both have whatever it is? My head is spinning!

Mary
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: pappy1264] #484003
02/21/08 11:30 PM
02/21/08 11:30 PM
Roanoke, Virginia
mommawannabe Offline
Glider Slave
mommawannabe  Offline
Glider Slave

Roanoke, Virginia
Mary, I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Will the collar you have fit Roo? If so I would put it on Roo. Go here ecollar -scroll down to the bottom and maybe you can adjust the size of the template to fit Petey. Is your husband going to be home soon so he can hold Petey while you try to make a new bigger e-collar?

Anna

Hubby Tommie
son Logan - 11
Pugs-Duncan and Raven,
Bunnies-Foo&Friday
Hedgies-Sweet Pea,Dobby,Bambi,DarthVader,Lexy,Shadow, Willow & Thatch.
suggies-Izzy, Miley~Toff, Jasper~Twinkie, Nix~Ash, Nash~Riley, Barney~Spryte~Pixie, Apollo~Athena.
Turtles - Shelly~Petunia

www.suggiebabies.com

Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: mommawannabe] #484087
02/22/08 12:30 AM
02/22/08 12:30 AM
North Fort Worth - TX
jacknsally Offline
Glider Addict
jacknsally  Offline
Glider Addict

North Fort Worth - TX
Aww Mary I'm so sorry. Retrace everything you did and offered in the last few days. Is Roo & Petey cage mates? Have you offered anything new in the last few days or so? Have you recently changed any chemicals you use for cleaning (laundry or cage cleaning)? With more than one sounding like they may have issues, it almost sounds like something topical may be irrating them.

hug2

Ñancy
~Always on my mind & in my heart Jack, Sally & Serenity~

Mobmilli's Boutique
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: Cora] #484155
02/22/08 01:56 AM
02/22/08 01:56 AM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

hug2

I suppose they could be passing it back and forth? You are smart to bring Roo in too for antibiotics as well if she is displaying the same behavior

hug2 hang in there

Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: ] #484260
02/22/08 08:13 AM
02/22/08 08:13 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Long night. I ended up giving him more pain meds last night and he took some more juice. I don't think he is pottying at all (either pee or poo), at least I didn't see him. He wouldn't eat. I finally nodded off (not sure of the time). All is quiet in there, so I don't want to disturb him (as sleep is good for him). I have a big problem, as the storm we are getting hit with is coming in earlier than expected and the roads down there will be impossible to get to the vets! The state police are already telling people to stay home. I may see if the vet I used to use (she stopped seeing gliders) will do me a favor and at least help me get a collar on him (she sees birds, so should have different size collars there). That is IF she is in today (sometimes she isn't on Fridays!) I will also need to get more meds from her (as I think Roo has something going on too after watching her last night....thank goodness her fluffiness is preventing her from reaching back there!) I have not given them anything new nor changed anything, so this is very perplexing. I will post more later. I'm tired and still physically sick myself, but more than that, so very worried for my babies! This is the first illness or issue I have dealt with in any of my gliders. Thanks everyone. Please keep them both in your prayers.

Mary
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: pappy1264] #484271
02/22/08 09:10 AM
02/22/08 09:10 AM

D
dmbfan41
Unregistered
dmbfan41
Unregistered
D

Do you have wooden perches in the cage?
I used to have them in mine till I noticed they were chewing on them and leaving splintered sections and I know they rub them selves on whatever they go on so I pulled them all and wrapped them in heavy fleece.
For fear they would rub on the bad part and get hurt that way

Last edited by dmbfan41; 02/22/08 09:12 AM.
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: ] #484283
02/22/08 09:54 AM
02/22/08 09:54 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
No, never have. Only fleece. I just had him out. He was on the bottom of his cage, crabbing, but it only last a few seconds as opposed to the awful way he was last night. Thank God, he did not sm! I just gave him his meds (antibiotics and pain) and he drank two syringes of juice (going out to get pedialyte, didn't have any in the house). He still was making the noise, but not as much. I am going to see if the vet up here will help me with the ecollar. Waiting for a call back from the vet down there. This storm is here a lot sooner than predicted, so it would be very dangerous to try to get down there (last thing I need is to get stranded with him in my car~) They are there tomorrow, so if he is still not showing improvement, they will do an ultrasound to make sure there is not a blockage. He still isn't interested in food. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it! He is being so good, with all this fuss and stuff! Just love this boy more than I could say and I just want him to be better!! And Roo.....I will start her on the meds, as well, just to be safe. It could be bacterial and he could have (by mating) passed it to her (he is neutered, but still likes to keep busy! lol)

Mary
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: pappy1264] #484341
02/22/08 11:08 AM
02/22/08 11:08 AM

A
Amanda1981
Unregistered
Amanda1981
Unregistered
A

How much has Petey eaten since he's been sick? Sometimes your body uses more calories when it's sick, so that may be why he's not going as much, but he should still be peeing... do you have any white fleece you can line his cage with and/or make a quick pouch out of? that'd make it alot easier to see if he's going or not... dunno

Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: ] #484356
02/22/08 11:18 AM
02/22/08 11:18 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Nothing , he won't touch food!

Mary
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: pappy1264] #484364
02/22/08 11:29 AM
02/22/08 11:29 AM

A
Amanda1981
Unregistered
Amanda1981
Unregistered
A

awww... dern it. frown Poor guy. Not even the corn eh?

Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: pappy1264] #484372
02/22/08 11:34 AM
02/22/08 11:34 AM
North Fort Worth - TX
jacknsally Offline
Glider Addict
jacknsally  Offline
Glider Addict

North Fort Worth - TX
Have you tried offering him baby foods or yogart? Also have you tried massaging his bottom to see if it will help him go? It doesn't sound pretty but with a little ky jelly and massage, he may find some relief to his discomfort.

Keeping him hydrated is most important. Since he's drinking I'd keep giving him pedialyte & offer some nectar, that way you can keep some calories in him and maybe the sweetness will give him spunk.

Ñancy
~Always on my mind & in my heart Jack, Sally & Serenity~

Mobmilli's Boutique
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: jacknsally] #484418
02/22/08 12:36 PM
02/22/08 12:36 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
I just spoke to the vet. Obviously, I need to get him to 'go' to make sure he is/can. She said to get some baby food and put a pinch of metamucil in it to see if it will help him to go poo. I will call her later today. Also doing the pedialyte. The snow is really bad right now. At least they are there tomorrow, so if he is still not better, he will be going in for scans to find out what is going on. He is still soundly sleeping, so that is a good thing (I think). I will wake him shortly to try to get some nourishment into him. This is so hard! Thank you guys for helping me through this!

Mary
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: pappy1264] #484465
02/22/08 01:23 PM
02/22/08 01:23 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Mary, I just got home. I'm also maxed on my cell minutes. I read about half the thread, so forgive me if I ask something you've answered.

1. Were you in the exam room?

2. Did you get the collar on?

3. Did he "express" the anal glands?

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Please keep Petey in your thoughts [Re: Xfilefan] #484485
02/22/08 01:52 PM
02/22/08 01:52 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Yes I was in there. No, cannot get the collar on (I am alone, hubby was no help last night). And no, did not express the glands (she said it 'may be an infection in them' but she felt it was a uti, but did not want to try to get a specimen (he did pee on the table) as to not irritate him more down there.

Mary
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024