Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Questions about The Pet Glider Diet #48730
06/14/05 06:55 PM
06/14/05 06:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi. I would like to try The Pet Glider diet. I just received my Pet Glider vitamins, but I am confused by the complete diet. Is there anyone who uses this that can help me? These are the instructions:

Presentation:

25 oz unsweetened applesauce

4 oz Dannon non-fat plain yogurt

3 oz concentrated calcium fortified orange juice, no water added

3/4 c Old Fashioned Oats (NO QUICK COOKING OATS)

1 T fresh ground flax seed or wheat germ, refrigerated

In a large mixing bowl, with a wooden spoon, mix the applesauce, oats, yogurt, wheat germ and orange juice. Divide into two equal portions. To portion one, add: 3 small or medium eggs, scrambled. To portion two, add: 3/4 lb unseasoned, unsalted, broiled shredded chicken.

Add 3/4 cup various chopped or precut fruits and vegetables to each portion. Freeze flat in quart size freezer bags (1/2" or less thick). If you choose to use pre-cut frozen produce, do not use vegetables which have a high ratio of corn.

Break off a frozen piece of the basic mix.

Feeding schedule should be:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday: Basic Mix

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday: Basic Mix Plus Mealworms (about 20 per glider)

Don't feed beef, seeds/nuts, or cottage cheese to your gliders. These are high in phosphorus. Avoid feeding anything with preservatives, sugar, or color additives. Keep the diet low-fat.

Daily exercise is vital. Exercise helps bones absorb calcium and stimulates bone thickening.

Always try to aim for a high Calcium to Phosphorus ratios.

Daily Staple:

Monkey Biscuit

Sugar Glider Cereal

Enrichment Supplement:

Fruit flavored Gatorade 3-4 times per week. Mix the granular kind to you glider’s tastes. It contains electrolytes and sucrose, a nectar substitute, both very important to them.

Daily Vitamin/Mineral Supplement

"The Pet Glider Complete" Multivitamin, sprinkled on food.

1. I don't understand about dividing it into 2 parts. Do you alternate parts each night? It doesn't say that exactly (or at least I didn't understand it.)

2. You add the fruits and veggies before you freeze it? Can you feed fresh fruits and veggies with the basic miz each day instead?

3. As for the chicken, I've noticed most people talk about chicken breasts. I was just realizing I bought thighs because that is what my husband likes. Is a thigh OK to use in this diet? (I'm a vegetarian and don't know anything about meat.)

4. How much is "a piece" of the basic mix? The size of an ice cube?

5. Is the daily staple of monkey biscuit and sugar glider cereal for them to snack on in the day? How necessary is this?

Thank you thank you for your help.

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48731
06/14/05 07:26 PM
06/14/05 07:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually, I'd really like to know the answers to those questions too. I really like the way the Pet Glider diet looks, but the instructions on how to feed, how much to feed, what to feed, etc. are all really confusing. Those four questions are the EXACT same questions I had...

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48732
06/14/05 07:29 PM
06/14/05 07:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oops. A couple other questions -

How much gatorade would you give the gliders?

How much multivitamin? "sprinkled on food" is kind of vague...

Would it be possible to use RepCal and Herptivite instead of the multivitamin, and just mix it in with the food, or is this exactly why gliders sometimes don't like BML? I just don't want to be in danger of giving mine too many vitamins.

@.@ So confused... BML keeps looking better and better.

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48733
06/14/05 07:59 PM
06/14/05 07:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you have questions about the pet glider diet, I suggest contacting Priscilla Price herself. She is very nice and helpful... If you need her e-mail address, let me know and I'll PM it you.

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48734
06/14/05 09:11 PM
06/14/05 09:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Her diet is very easy to make and feed after you do it the first time. The base mixture is made of the

25 oz unsweetened applesauce

4 oz Dannon non-fat plain yogurt

3 oz concentrated calcium fortified orange juice, no water added

3/4 c Old Fashioned Oats (NO QUICK COOKING OATS)

1 T fresh ground flax seed or wheat germ, refrigerated

You mix these ingredients all together and you then put 1/2 of this mixture in 1 bowl and the other half in another bowl.

In one bowl you mix in the chicken (which I shred with a food processor or blender). In the other bowl you add the scrambled egg (I include the shell for extra calcium).

Now you have 1 bowl with basic mixture & chicken and 1 bowl with basic mixture and egg. Both great protein sources.

Now you dice/cut up 3/4 cup of fruits and 3/4 cup of vegges and add to each bowl.

I mix up both bowls and put them into ice cube trays & freeze. Each cube will feed 2 gliders. I have 8 gliders, so I give 4 cubes each night. I put some yogurt on top of the cubes and sprinkle an 1/8 Tsp. per glider of vitamin. So with 8 gliders, I use 1 full Tsp.

So it really is easy. I double the recipe and take a Sunday and make it up and it will last me 1 1/2 months. No cutting up meat, vegges & fruits every night. Just take out a cube, add a little yogurt and sprinkle on the vitamin. You alternate giving the chicken 1 night, egg the next night. Give meal worms a few nights a week. Provide monkey biscuits, some glider cereal (I use exotic nutrition's premium pet glider & happy glider cereal). Gliders get bored with the same food every night, so alternate the cereals, too. The staple foods are there in case they don't eat the mix or just need a snack during the day/night.

I mix up gatorade 3 times a week, but this doesn't take the place of fresh water every day. Gliders are sap suckers so they light sweet things. Just try mixing up the gatorade to their taste. I find I don't have to use much because they just like the sweet taste.

Don't substitute the herptivite/repcal in this diet. Priscilla's vitamins are made to suppliment her diet. Herptivite/Repcal are used to suppliment BML, etc. You substitute and you may be missing something that should be in that specific diet.

Please pm me if you have any other questions. I'll be glad to help.

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48735
06/14/05 09:13 PM
06/14/05 09:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OK. I will email her. The instructions on the vitamins say to sprinkle 1/8 th of a teaspoon on their food. The vitamins were the main reason I wanted to switch to this plan because they include probiotics and pollen and I think those would be good for gliders. And I've read people say that the vitamins taste good and the gliders will eat them, whereas mine only eat a small amount of their BML and I worry about them not getting enough vitamins.

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48736
06/15/05 12:09 AM
06/15/05 12:09 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I was talking to Priscilla about using her vitamins in my own modified BML diet. I am trying to make my BML diet more nutritious. I was thinking of using The Pet Glider's vitamins in replacement for the Calcium and Multivitamin that is used in the BML. Taking out the juices and replacing them with Ensure, which I have heard of people using and hear that it works great as a suppliment, and using less Wheat Germ and in the place of the lost wheat germ using Monkey Biscuits or another highly nutritious food. I think it will work out great. I guess I'll keep everyone updated on this new BML modification.

Luis

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48737
06/15/05 12:14 AM
06/15/05 12:14 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Okay, so... the staples (monkey biscuits and glider cereal) are optional? Only for if the glider wakes up during the day to eat?

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48738
06/15/05 12:19 AM
06/15/05 12:19 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Luis, I would talk to Bourban about modifying her diet. She can give you the best info on it, as she created it. The ensure and monkey biscuts will throw the whole balance of nutrition off, as you are trying for specific ratios. In my opinion, that is not a good idea. I may be off base with that, and it is only my opinion. You may have more information or knowledge than I do on nutritional contents, etc...

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48739
06/15/05 11:23 AM
06/15/05 11:23 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Luis, since Ensure has a lot of vitamins, I worry you would OD them on vitamins if you added it to the BML in addition to the Rep Cal vitamins that are already included.

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48740
06/15/05 01:21 PM
06/15/05 01:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My understanding of the staples, are that they are just that.. staples ( like we would have staples in our house, the basics). They aren't optional,they need to be there as an option for the gliders ( not an option for us ).

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48741
06/15/05 03:28 PM
06/15/05 03:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well... would it be okay to just give them the cereal rather than the monkey biscuits? I don't really like feeding my animals anything with ethoxyquin in it. =/

How is the Pet Glider's cereal different from other dry pelleted foods?

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48742
06/15/05 05:54 PM
06/15/05 05:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I emailed Priscilla and she sent me a lot of info. This is what she said about the cereal- "Exotic Nutrition’s Premium Sugar Glider Cereal is excellent. It has fruits and vegetables, bee pollen, more calcium, 40% protein, and a lower fat content than other cereals. Keep fresh sugar glider dry cereal in your gliders cage at all times for them to snack on!"

I haven't looked to see if this is something that is avaialable on her site or if you get it elsewhere.

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48743
06/15/05 06:18 PM
06/15/05 06:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

you can get it on her site or from ExoticNutrition.com

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48744
06/15/05 10:58 PM
06/15/05 10:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Emithebug, what's ethoxyquin?

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48745
06/15/05 11:42 PM
06/15/05 11:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
Gliders are sap suckers so they light sweet things

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

I was just curious - if you know gliders are sap suckers, why would you feed that hard pelleted food? This would be unlike anything the glider would encounter in the wild plus it can harm your glider's teeth and jaw. Lumpy jaw is often a result of feeding this type of food and it can still happen even in pelleted food that is soaked in juice.

Just something else to consider - although this may be very easy to make up...is it very fun to eat? You know glider's don't want to drink their food every night. You wouldn't want to eat soup every night. Could you live on it? Yeah. Would you like that? Probably not. Just from what I've learned, glider's should be able to hold their fruit or vegetable in their hands and you should still be able to see it. They have a hard time with little diced things. I would cut fruits and veggies into larger chunks rather than smaller.

Just playing devil's advocate

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48746
06/16/05 12:04 AM
06/16/05 12:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ethoxyquin is a preservative often used in pet food. It's also a known carcinogen. It's been approved for use for human consumption, but only in tiny, tiny amounts. However, for pet food, the maximum amount is quite a bit more, and once weight is figured into it, for a standard dog (30-40 lbs), the animal is consuming about 50 times more than a human.

I know it's debatable, but I don't want to give my animals ANYTHING that could hurt them. Just google "Ethoxyquin" and you'll get a lot of articles about it.

Now, I'd rather feed my gliders monkey biscuits since they look like and sound like they're softer than a pellet food, but they've got ethoxyquin in them. I don't want my gliders to be without something in their cage to eat, so I've got to have something in the cage, but then... like Jimbo brought up, I thought that pelleted foods weren't that great for them just due to their eating habits and the consistency.

So... =P That's why I was hoping the staple foods were optional.

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48747
06/21/05 10:19 AM
06/21/05 10:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, I have been feeding this diet for a week now (Except I haven't gotten the cereal or biscuits yet.) My gliders LOVE it. Before, they hardly ate their BML or Judies BML. They eat every bite of this. I'm still deciding about what I think or the dry food during the day. It seems that the main mix with the vitamins is actually the "staple" of this diet, so I may email her and ask her about how necessary the dry foods are.

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48748
06/21/05 11:33 PM
06/21/05 11:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

this diet sounds promising im new and without glider(getting some soon tho) i just have a couple questions i read the whole thig about the "staple" food do pellet foods hurt them it seems that they MIGHT eat something hard like that in nature but i really couldnt tell you and i read monkey buiscuts are really good for them? im confused about all that oh one more question do your gliders like the frozen food its seems kind of wierd but if they like it im open to this diet sounds great other that my questions oh.... can you feed them crickets instead of mealies i read grubs were higher in fat than crickets

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48749
06/22/05 01:16 AM
06/22/05 01:16 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Flying Monkeys.
This is the diet I use. Except I do not add in the veggies until serving. I thaw the mix and add in thawed frozen veggies, stir together and sprinkle with the vitamins.
As for the pellet foods. I keep it in the cage as a day snack. The fresh foods must be removed every morning to prevent these babies eating "ripe" foods.
I feed mealworms because I can't handle touching the crickets. They creep me out. So I can't help on your last question. Hope I've helped a bit.

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48750
06/22/05 02:07 AM
06/22/05 02:07 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ya thanks i get it now i was thinking you feed the ice cube to them but you thaw it ok that sounds a little more "normal" and for the crickets all im wondering is will it affect the diet to use them instead of mealworms but if it doesnt i dont mind hadling crickets(used to own a vinus fly trap)but over all your information was very helpful and this IS the diet i am going to do and if any one knows the e-mail adress of this diets creator can you please pm it to me thanks alot

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48751
06/22/05 02:56 PM
06/22/05 02:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I feed the food frozen and they start eating it immediately. It may not be very natural, but I guess they like it.

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48752
06/22/05 04:40 PM
06/22/05 04:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

where can i get the multivitamin used in this diet would any pet store carry it or do in have to order it on line

Re: Questions about The Pet Glider Diet [Re: ] #48753
06/22/05 05:31 PM
06/22/05 05:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Jimbo, I'd first like to address the sap sucker comment. Gliders drink nectars; however, that is not all they eat. I did not want to imply that the gatorade was their primary source of nouishment--it is not--it's just one more suppliment to Priscilla's diet given 2-3 times per week. And I agree, I wouldn't want a liquid diet either. As far as the pellets are concerned, there have been many posts about lumpy jaw on GC--some even saying gliders do not get lumpy jaw. You may want to check them out. It really is interesting reading. I really think the size of the cut up fruits & veges is an individual thing also. Mine babies like both, so there are different textures/sizes in the food. I know from posts that you feed BML. Priscilla's diet is just another choice. The vitamin's are sold by Priscilla and several other breeders who feed her diet. Lori's Gliders sells it.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 318 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,572 TEXAS
679,075 OHIO
487,155 OKLAHOMA
432,160 UTAH
321,681 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024