Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) #499656
03/09/08 10:52 PM
03/09/08 10:52 PM

S
SandSmammas
Unregistered
SandSmammas
Unregistered
S

Ok, here goes one heck of a rant.... tant

I was at the Flower and Patio show here in Indianapolis on Saturday. I was walking up and down the aisles like everyone else when I noticed a guy with a pouch around his neck. Not unusal, it was a little noisy but every glider is different. Then I noticed a cage in this other hand. Sure enough, the last aisle homed the Pocket Pets booth, compete with two gentleman introducing all the lovely people to these really cool pets called Sugar Gliders.

Now, I saw these people at the Christmas and Hobby show back in November here in town as well. These are the people that caused me to inquire about Sugar Gliders. However, I went home, researched them, learned about them, and spent 2 WEEKS really thinking through if I wanted to commit myself to these little creatures I knew nothing about.

Now, I didn't want to state that I owned any so I just walked up, joined the crowd, and listened on like all the other passerbys. Needless to say, about 5 minutes into his little speech, I was almost in tears. The things he was saying, well, they were all lies! Did you know that if you go out of town, all you need is a neighbor to come over and put an apple slice in the food dish? Did you know it only costs $4 a month to feed a glider? Did you know that they will bond to you in 2-4 weeks FULLY? Did you know that you can feed them whatever you have around your house because they eat fruits and veggies? Did you know that they barely bite? Did you know they make excellent pets for kids? Did you know that gliders are very, very clean animals that make almost no mess? Did you know that gliders can be seen by any vet in your local area? Did you know that gliders carry no odors? Gliders love cheerios, peanuts, sunflower seeds, and anything sweet that you can think of?

I am sorry mods if I am not allowed to bash anything like this and if I am out of place, please let me know. It just hurts like none other to be witness to this. Someone in the crowd asked if they could take one home today? They guy said no because he was all sold out until tomorrow. When asked how many he sold, he replied "20". 20 gliders in a matter of about 8 hours. How is that possible? He said not to worry, he would be bringing more babies later. cry

I know that everything is a business but my husband made me leave before I started crying. Funny how there was no mention of bonding time, tent time, crabbing, glider proofing your house, acceptable cage size, e-collars, and so much other stuff. The crowd was also told just how many gliders had been placed in happy homes. I almost asked him if he could tell me how many of those were still in their original home and not re-homed as rescues with my many friends on GC?

Sorry this is so long, but I just helped rescue a glider on Tuesday. My first and let me tell you, I wish it would be my last. After seeing what I did with Cricket, I just can't turn my back or hide my emotion about what I felt on Saturday.

Thanks for anyone that listened and if there is anyone that bought their glider from Pocket Pets, I am sorry if I offended you. I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings. I just vented how I felt.

Last edited by SandSmammas; 03/09/08 10:59 PM. Reason: Add something
Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499663
03/09/08 11:01 PM
03/09/08 11:01 PM
Conroe TX
J
Jennifer_Maaske Offline
Glider Slave
Jennifer_Maaske  Offline
Glider Slave
J

Conroe TX
cry

Jennifer Maaske
4sugar gliders
2 great danes
1 American Eskimo dog
1 livestock guard dog
4 cats
2 goats
23 chicken
3children
1 Very tolerant husband

www.redemptiondayfarm.com
Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499665
03/09/08 11:03 PM
03/09/08 11:03 PM

A
AliaBrown
Unregistered
AliaBrown
Unregistered
A

I know how you feel. This is a typical visit with Perfect Pocket Pets. They are a horrible company. They sold hundreds at the Iowa State Fair because they sold them with all these lies. 2 weeks after we had tons of new members and craiglist had list after list of gliders for sale. You can tell when they come from this company because every lister said "glider for sale, comes with cage, heated rock, vitamins, pellets". This is why we are trying to shut them down!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499669
03/09/08 11:06 PM

B
Brogio
Unregistered
Brogio
Unregistered
B

bonding time, tent time, crabbing, glider proofing your house, acceptable cage size, e-collars, and so on.. are all things we do because we love our suggies and want to keep them safe/healthy/happy and these things are not EASY.

all the lies they are telling the crowd it to sell as many of these as possible by making them appear easy to keep.

no smell..
4 dollars a month..
barely bite..
no mess.. etc.

it's making them sound just like.. 'PERFECT' Pocket Pets.

what the people dont realize is that they are not perfect for everyone.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499670
Conroe TX
J
Jennifer_Maaske Offline
Glider Slave
Jennifer_Maaske  Offline
Glider Slave
J

Conroe TX
HEAT ROCK!!!!!

not only is the obvious scary there....but wouldn't they chew right through the electrical cord?

Jennifer Maaske
4sugar gliders
2 great danes
1 American Eskimo dog
1 livestock guard dog
4 cats
2 goats
23 chicken
3children
1 Very tolerant husband

www.redemptiondayfarm.com
Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499671
03/09/08 11:07 PM
03/09/08 11:07 PM

S
SandSmammas
Unregistered
SandSmammas
Unregistered
S

What do we do to shut them down? I have been an advocate for puppy mills for awhile and currently protest pet stores in my area (after having a rescued bloodhound and a found abandoned shepard mix)

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499686
03/09/08 11:31 PM
Northeast TN bordering VA/NC
Bubbles8i8 Offline
Glider Guardian
Bubbles8i8  Offline
Glider Guardian

Alia is already working on this, as well as I think Alden (vaklyriemome).

If they are open tomorrow, go back with a tape recorder hidden in your pocket and record what they say. Ask them questions about their care and catch them lying. Make sure to ask about vet care, nutrition requirements, cage size, etc. Get any papers they are passing out.

Collect as much dirt as possible to help out!

Jenny tounge

Wife to Josh, Mom to Taylor heart

:glider: Coo & Chimera
:glider: Ruckus & Mayhem
:glider: Adonis & Persephone & Aphrodite
www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Cages, Toys, Wheels, Pouches, Treats
Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499687

A
AliaBrown
Unregistered
AliaBrown
Unregistered
A

I have a thread about stopping them from coming to the Iowa State Fair this year. SO, far they are scheduled to come, but I have spoken with a man at the fair that is willing to listen. He wants me to bring in conversations about people having bad experiences with them. People having gliders die, getting told lies, etc. It's just one fair, but it's certainly a start.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499689
03/09/08 11:33 PM
03/09/08 11:33 PM

A
AliaBrown
Unregistered
AliaBrown
Unregistered
A

Yes part of what I told the man on the phone was that they lie about vet care. There are approx two, count them two exotic vets in des moines. None in Ames or the surrounding areas. So, TWO exotic vets that are pretty expensive. Well, one is the other is pretty fair. But, the point is to get them telling you that any vet can take care of them. This is a blatant lie because only two will.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499692
03/09/08 11:34 PM
03/09/08 11:34 PM

A
AliaBrown
Unregistered
AliaBrown
Unregistered
A

Not to mention try telling them you are from a state that doesn't allow them. Don't say you know they don't allow them. But, something along the lines that you are from there and are visiting . I'm curious to see if they will tell you they are illegal there.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499705
03/09/08 11:43 PM
03/09/08 11:43 PM
Bubbles8i8 Offline
Glider Guardian
Bubbles8i8  Offline
Glider Guardian

Oh, you mean, like pretend she is from GA or CA, to see if they will tell her that gliders are illegal there? That is a good idea!

Jenny tounge

Wife to Josh, Mom to Taylor heart

:glider: Coo & Chimera
:glider: Ruckus & Mayhem
:glider: Adonis & Persephone & Aphrodite
www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Cages, Toys, Wheels, Pouches, Treats
Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: Bubbles8i8] #499712
03/09/08 11:50 PM
03/09/08 11:50 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

Sorry if this has already been asked, but don't they have to have a USDA license? Are they licensed? Surely if we can show the USDA that they are doing this we can hopefully get them shut down?

Can we get a list of places they are travelling, and maybe GC members in each community can get the media going and make a big stinkfest before they arrive and drive them out of business?

This is just deplorable...I can't believe how many gliders must be going to inadequate homes because of these jerks cry

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499723
03/10/08 12:01 AM
03/10/08 12:01 AM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

They're USDA licensed and my usda rep thinks they're just awesome. HOWEVER, they were at a Home and Garden show in my neighborhood this weekend as well. Apparently, their new schtick is to show up at every venue. The tables at this show were nearly $1,000 for the four days......

I work with wildlife and exotic rescue and we set up a booth at these venues for educational purposes and I always bring some of my suggies. Well I told anyone and everyone who would listen what they were all about AND, I handed out brochures and flyers with my business card that has glidercentral and USGN listed on them for research purposes. We were running people down who were carrying Pocket Pets flyers! SOOOOOO many people thanked us for telling them the truth!

If anyone wants a copy of the flyer we have they're welcome to it. Basically, it doesn't slander them by name at ALL, it simply contradicts everything they say and people believe what it says because I basically say that anyone who tells you that THEY are the only ones that can give you information has something to hide. Being a RESPONSIBLE pet owner dictates that you research any animal before bringing it into your home, etc.

But here is the BEST part of this weekend.....our booth was right next to the Sherriffs Dept., Animal Control and those head honcho guys who write city codes and ordinances.....well, they fell in LOVE with our animals, gliders included. We have been invited to their next board meetings where a BAN ON SELLING SUGGIES IN OUR COUNTY at fairs, festivals, etc. will be put on the table!!!! If we can do it here, other cities will follow suit.

One of the other vendors in our area came to me so upset because someone told him that they had bought a glider from Pocket Pets this summer at our local fair and they got tired of it so they released it outside!!! This man was so upset he let that guy HAVE it!

I handed out HUNDREDS of flyers this weekend and that was only to the people who specifically asked about my gliders and Pocket Pets! I didn't have enough for everyone, but I got to the people who showed any interest in them at all!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499733
03/10/08 12:17 AM
03/10/08 12:17 AM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

clap What a great story on how one person armed with a bunch of flyers, some cute suggies, and a mission can make a HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!

Does anyone know where we can get a list of where else they're going?

Maybe if we can show up everywhere we can run them out of business!

If they ever come around Seattle, I'll make them miserable, even if I need to take a day off work to do it!!!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499737
03/10/08 12:27 AM
03/10/08 12:27 AM

D
darkwaterdevil
Unregistered
darkwaterdevil
Unregistered
D

get the peta into it

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499741
03/10/08 12:30 AM
03/10/08 12:30 AM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
clap Great Job Suggiemom!!!!
Currently, I am in the process of having CCW, and PocketPets Dallas banned from doing any Trade Shows held in the state of Kansas, Nebraska, and Colorado.
There are some legal issues being worked out so I am not at liberty to say any more than the fact that BIG THINGS are beginning to happen in the Glider Community with stopping these individuals from taking advantage of these sweet little innocent babies lives.
KUDOS to everyone who is working in their own area!
If you currently own a sugar glider that you have purchased from any of these individuals, and have had to seek medical care due to lack of proper care, diet, etc...
Please send me an email - LSardou@netks.net with your name, vets name, and a brief summary of the vets report.
Please note that the information must include:
State of purchase, a receipt from seller, vets name, telephone number, and a brief medical report.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: LSardou] #499758
03/10/08 12:45 AM
03/10/08 12:45 AM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

Thanks guys. I'm on a mission here too. And one thing I learned this weekend....people are VERY interested in the truth and most of them know that these guys are not as good as they seem so thats part of the battle. I was amazed at how many people just thanked me for being honest because I didn't even have to bad mouth Pocket Pets....all I had to say was why would anyone NOT want you to research a pet that will live in your home potentially for 15 years?????

Linda, I left a message with my vet on Friday so hopefully I'll have that info soon, but I don't have any receipts. I know that Angel from GC had purchased from them and lost one very soon after the fair left. The other had a horrible eye infection and nearly lost his site.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499762
03/10/08 12:51 AM
03/10/08 12:51 AM

N
NickieDo
Unregistered
NickieDo
Unregistered
N

Originally Posted By: darkwaterdevil
get the peta into it

OT, but peta is actually against owning ANY kind of pet, get them on it and it could result in them sponsoring the ban on gliders. NOT a good idea.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499767
03/10/08 12:56 AM
03/10/08 12:56 AM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

ACtually, I contacted Peta about it this summer because no one else seemed willing to help and they were VERY helpful, but couldn't do any more than we're doing now really unless we had proof of neglect. They are willing however to put some clout behind us if we can offer some proof to them and they can have their attorneys send some letters, etc. I'm sure I still have the guys email address.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention earlier, I didn't know this until we were breaking down the show, but one of the new girls with our group mentioned casually that when she walked over to Pocket Pets booth, they were bottle feeding joeys!!!!!!!!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499768
03/10/08 12:58 AM
03/10/08 12:58 AM

S
SandSmammas
Unregistered
SandSmammas
Unregistered
S

Jenny: I am sorry to say this but at the last minute, my poor hubby didn't think and told him we owned 2 gliders. All of the people started asking my questions and I started giving them answers. I showed them my hands and told them I wasn't a cutter ( grin ) and that I just owned suggies. I told them just how much time I spend bonding with them during the day and how I do tent time everynight. Needless to say, they guy no longer wanted my around. He didn't say anything, but you could see it on his face. I said something about crabbing and he said, it is more like chattering. I said HA! Ya right! I have made a couple calls and I am going to see if I can get a good friend of mine to tape record what he says.

Alia: I think I am going to call someone at the fair office and see if I can talk to them. If I could just stop them from the 3 shows they do, I am making some distance.

Suggiemom: Is there a website somewhere that I could look to see if I have a exotic rescue in Indianapolis like the one you work for? I would like to see if they are doing anything currently with sugar gliders. If not, maybe I could start something like what you are doing in Greenville.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499774
03/10/08 01:04 AM
03/10/08 01:04 AM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

Hey Sami, well, I'm not sure. I've been rescuing suggies for several years now and only in the past year or two working with the wildlife rescue. I sort of brought suggies to them. Because they are state and federally licensed, I can rescue on a much larger scale and we were getting inundated with Pocket Pets throw aways when they leave town. Most rescues specialize in one thing such as wildlife. We just happen to do exotics as well because we have such a local problem with unwanted ferrets, lizards, etc.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499776
03/10/08 01:06 AM
03/10/08 01:06 AM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

Oh and Linda, would you mind emailing me some of your info, how you got started with what you're doing to get them banned in those states and venues? This situation just sort of conveniently fell into our lap, (don'tcha love it when that happens? LOL) but I'd be willing to push the envelope here as well. We actually have a LOT of clout with local government, etc because of short staffs and budget cuts they depend on us a LOT.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499783
03/10/08 01:24 AM
03/10/08 01:24 AM

N
NickieDo
Unregistered
NickieDo
Unregistered
N

Its really sad to see the HUGE negative impact that sugar glider mill breeders have had on our precious furry friends. frown

They are a HUGE part of the problem...owner education is the other part.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499789
03/10/08 01:34 AM
03/10/08 01:34 AM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

That's true Nickie and that is why I started bringing my gliders to our wildlife shows....to get the word out. I never dreamed we'd end up at the same venue as Pocket Pets! Thank goodness we were in the 1,000 hall and they were in the 500 hall or who knows what would have happened?

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #499790
03/10/08 01:38 AM
03/10/08 01:38 AM

N
NickieDo
Unregistered
NickieDo
Unregistered
N

omg, I could only imagine how that would have turned out!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #500070
03/10/08 01:09 PM
03/10/08 01:09 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
I actually have a condensed version of my "So you want to own a Sugar Glider" brochure printed on the back of my business cards (it has a link to the full brochure on the bottom as well) That way when people start to ooh and aah and "I want one", they can see at the very minimum what they're looking at. I'm glad I had them printed that way because it's helped me talk quite a few people out of wanting one!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: BeckiT] #500076
03/10/08 01:17 PM
03/10/08 01:17 PM

A
AliaBrown
Unregistered
AliaBrown
Unregistered
A

Becki could I have one of those brochures to send in with my other information. I have been looking for an information packet of correct info that I could pair with (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets's info packet they handed out at last years thread. I plan on having a lengthy letter explaining why their info is wrong and backing that up with correct info.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #500080
03/10/08 01:24 PM
03/10/08 01:24 PM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

I'd like a copy as well, and Alia, when you get everything gathered into one central location, could you pop me over a copy of everything you end up with as well? Linda too? I think if we fight this as one big, collective fight we're going to make a better impact than if we all go flying solo in our hometowns, etc.

And, each time we get a venue to agree that they will ban them, we should keep a list so that when we send off our next round of info we can say. "So and so has already banned them from their venue as a show of support for these beautiful animals" or something like that.

BTW...you guys rock!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ] #500099
03/10/08 01:50 PM
03/10/08 01:50 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
I'm hoping to gather information about (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets and ALL the other mill breeders, as well.

I need real concrete information - facts and dates - of documented sick gliders or underage gliders being sold by these mill breeders. I would like to gather all the information I can, hoping to start Class Action suits against these people.

There is also THIS thread, and THIS thread and THIS thread and THIS Thread and, of course, THIS thread, by Alia.

And other, older threads.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) [Re: ValkyrieMome] #500142
03/10/08 02:46 PM
03/10/08 02:46 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Ok, don't know if this is legal or not, but if you find they are selling them, can you go there with printed info sheets on them to hand out to people to show them the TRUTH? Perhaps if you speak to the people that throw these things, they might allow it. Just an idea. At least they will have the proper info (hopefully before they purchase, but at least after they do........) Just an idea.

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,569 TEXAS
679,073 OHIO
487,151 OKLAHOMA
432,154 UTAH
321,673 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024