Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
If you use tap water please read. #5020
04/09/00 01:38 AM
04/09/00 01:38 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Two days ago my glider became very sick. He seemed to be eating ok and playing ok, but he had very runny green bowl movements.<P>Anyways I naturally rushed him to the vet. He turns oyt he has Girardia. This is a parasite that can get through the public water filteration system. I talked to more than one vet, and looked up some information online. Gliders can become very sick, and die quickly from this when not treated. While it can be treated..you must act fast. The only way to prevent this from happening is to use spring water. Also do not allow your glider to play in the same room as any animal that may drink tap water. The parasite may be released in bowl movements...if a glider comes in contact with this they can take int he parasite. I suggest you not use tab water with any animal. Many cats and dogs have been treated for this. I enevr knew this before now..I reaserched for several months before getting my glider, so I thought soem of you may not know about it. I'm going to do soem more reaserch, and if you wnat to know more I would suggest you do also. Just trying to help!<P>Mary & Peep (hes doing so much better now)

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5021
04/09/00 01:48 AM
04/09/00 01:48 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Please be careful - if your glider got this from your tap water, you may also get it. I've heard symptoms include severe cramps and diarhea, but you usually go to the dr. before it gets really serious - it doesn't hit us as rapidly as it does gliders, I guess. So take care of you and all your little friends, please!!<P>Tara

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5022
04/09/00 11:23 AM
04/09/00 11:23 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I was just reading a vet magazine the other day, and it had an article about a new vaccine for giardia!! It was really interesting--its supposed to be both a preventative and a treatment for dogs or cats. It was developed at a University in Calgary--so I don't know where its available right now, but maybe its something to look into for dogs and cats that live in a house with gliders? I knew that giardia was common in ponds and streams, but didn't know it could get through water purification systems!! Thanks for posting this!

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5023
04/09/00 02:38 PM
04/09/00 02:38 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

do you think filtered water (from the brita water filters) prevent this?

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5024
04/09/00 08:07 PM
04/09/00 08:07 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Cordelia,<BR>I don't know for sure, but if the water filtration system for a city can't get rid of it, I don't think that a Brita filter would either. Giardia is microscopic, so I guess it can pass through filters. Two ways for sure to rid water of giardia are;<BR>1) boil the water<BR>2) add iodine to the water--this is what the the little pills you add to water when camping are.<P><BR>Beck, <BR>is your water chlorinated? It really frightens me to think that this could possibly infect my pets or myself! I've never allowed my pets to drink from streams or ponds, but didn't worry about much other than chlorine from my tap water.

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5025
04/09/00 08:53 PM
04/09/00 08:53 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

If the girardia was transmitted through the public water system then there is a failure somewhere in the water treatment system. Giardia is common and any municipal water treatment system is designed to catch it. <P>If you are worried though, giardia is easily filtered out of contaminated water with a drinking water filter that filters to 1 micron or less. The Britta water filter is just a carbon filter element designed to primarily filter out chlorine and heavy metals. The PUR water purifiers that hook onto your faucet are EPA approved water purifiers that will not only filter out giardia but will filter out bacteria and viruses as well.<P>Hope this helps,<P>Brad.<BR>

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5026
04/09/00 09:34 PM
04/09/00 09:34 PM
Ok
Sheila Offline
Serious Glideritis
Sheila  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Ok
You haven't changed anyone's diapers lately have you, that wasn't your own kids? My niece came here from India and she had it when she got here. My sister-in-law got it from changing her diapers.

ToandFro Gliders

http://www.toandfrogliders.com

USDA Licensed breeder for 12 years and counting!

WE SELL THE STEALTH WHEEL
Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5027
04/09/00 11:20 PM
04/09/00 11:20 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Sheila brings up a very good point about giardia. It can only be transmitted through fecal matter. It is a function of the life cycle of the protozoan organism Giardia. The protozoan once it has infested the intestines of its host sheds millions of eggs, or cysts, out with the diareaha. Another host animal ingests the cysts and the cycle continues. The symptoms, which can include diareaha and cramps, may begin to appear anywhere from 48 hours to 3 weeks after you (or your pet) have ingested the giardia cysts. <P>The reason it is often found in water, of course, is that animals often go to the bathroom in the same streams and rivers that they drink out of. Surprisingly enough, the leading cause of giardia in our waterways is not wild animals but rather cattle and other domesticated animals.<P>Cats and dogs get it usually because of their habit of wanting to get close to any fecal matter that they find []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif[/] and from drinking contaminated water outside of the house.<P>As a closing note I will stress that giardiasis (the name of the illness caused by the giardia bug) can only be caused by ingesting the cysts. If you are concerned that a particular animal may be infested, make sure that you thoroughly wash your hands after handling that animal or his feces.<P>Beck, good luck with your little critter. I hope everything works out for him.<BR>

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5028
04/10/00 01:16 AM
04/10/00 01:16 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I have been around no kids and no other pets. It is just me and my glider here. The water is the only way he could have gotten it. I talked to two vets and they both said he got it from the water system. They said a personal filter would not filter it, because the main filter didnt. They said I had to buy spring water. My roomate has been sick some, and I wonder if this may be the cause.

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5029
04/10/00 09:21 AM
04/10/00 09:21 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hi Beck,<P>If the water treatment system in your city is not capable of destroying or filtering out giardia cysts then a suitable water purifier such as the PUR line of purifiers that I mentioned in my earlier reply will definitely do the job. []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/] You don’t have to resort to buying bottled water, but you can if you want.<P>I have been using various methods (both chemical and mechanical filtration) to rid drinking water of giardia and much worse for the better part of 11 years. Both recreationally and in my work. At one point in time I was responsible for ensuring the safety of the drinking water for a 400-man work camp in Nigeria. Now that’s scary water. []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif[/] Scary place too.<P>But seriously, do look into the PUR filters. They are the only home filters that I know of that the EPA has certified as water purifiers. That means that they are capable of filtering out organisms as small as bacteria and viruses. Good luck.<BR>

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5030
04/10/00 10:25 AM
04/10/00 10:25 AM
Lone Star
Pockets Offline
Glider Slave
Pockets  Offline
Glider Slave

Lone Star
Brad<BR>Thank you for that info!<BR>I also use bottled water but I will look into this PUR filter & I am sure others here will also! []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/]

:grey: We will be known forever by the tracks we leave :grey:

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: Devil_Bunny_Girl] #5031
04/11/00 12:28 AM
04/11/00 12:28 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

This is exactly why I don't drink water!!!<P>Answer this...would you go to the neighborhood pool for a glass of water, or has everyone told you that it is not good to drink the chlorine in the water? I can taste the chorine they put in water and I refuse to drink pool water.<P>My gliders hate water...both of them refuse to drink it. They drink fruit juice(usually baby fruit juice for the extra vitamins). I mix their glideraid in the juice or put it on their food.<P>I don't drink bottled water either b/c it has no nutrition and is not good for anything but passing straight to your kidneys. If anyone disagrees, I'm sorry. I'm just afraid that if something left on the shelf too long(completly sealed) can grow, I don't want to know what I'm drinking.<P>Just my opinion on water(I hate it).<P>Alicia []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/]<BR>Zazu []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/]<BR>Carina []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/]<BR> and soon to be []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/] []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/]<P>------------------<BR>A horse of course that's wild and free, is more than a man can just let be.

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5032
04/10/00 05:10 PM
04/10/00 05:10 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thank you Brad for your info. I am going to look for the PUR line. This sounds like a goos choice, so now I just ahve to find it. Is it easy to find? I have never heard of it.<P>Thank you!

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5033
04/10/00 06:31 PM
04/10/00 06:31 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Beck,<P>You should be able to find the PUR purifiers at either Wal-Mart or Home Depot. Failing that, many health food stores stock them as well. <P>PUR also makes a line of portable water purifiers suitable for travel. These you should be able to find at your local outdoor/camping store. <P>I personally have been using PUR purifiers for about 5 years and swear by them. In addition to filtering out nasty bugs, they also remove pesticides and other toxins that are present in most North American water Systems.<P>BTW, how is your little fella doing?<BR>

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5034
04/10/00 08:14 PM
04/10/00 08:14 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Zazu -<BR>I hope you're at least partly kidding! Water is really important to your health, as well as your gliders'. But I do agree with you on one thing -- Stagnant water - i.e. bottled water - is a great breeding ground for bacteria. Any thoughts on this one, Brad?

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5035
04/10/00 11:18 PM
04/10/00 11:18 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

My understanding is that bottled water is OK as long as it has not been sitting for longer than 6 months, unopened of course. Once it is opened it should be consumed within 2-4 weeks. Refrigeration after opening is a must. Bacteria thrive in a warm humid environment.<P>And you’re right, water is VERY important to every process and chemical reaction that takes place in the body. Water carries nutrients to every cell in our bodies and also is needed to flush our systems of waste. To not drink water is to depriving your body of an essential element. Just as an example, in a 24-hour period the average person will loose 2 quarts of water through perspiration alone. This is assuming a low activity level. Under a heavy work load, a person is capable of sweating 1 quart in as little as 1 hour!!! To drink less than 8 glasses of pure water each day is a detriment to your overall long-term health. A common cause of kidney stones is chronic, long-term dehydration. Because it is not acute the symptoms will often go unnoticed for years if not decades, then one day……<BR>

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5036
04/11/00 12:16 AM
04/11/00 12:16 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Bra: he seems to be doing much better. I am taking him wed to see if it is all gone. I feel so stupid my boyfriend has a PUR system. He was already goign to buy me one after my glider got sick. He bought his at wal-mart for 40 dollars. This will make me feel much safer. I now know my glider must have gotten it at my house since my boyfriend has that filter. Thanks so much for your help. []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/]<P>Mary []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5037
04/11/00 04:30 AM
04/11/00 04:30 AM
Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
B
Bourbon Offline
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline
Serious Glideritis
B

Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
Brad, someone asked me last night if this was more prevalant here in TN.. My vet checked Mine for it after she told me that several cases were already found amoung local animals. Beck lives 2 hours from me, I was told in a mullusked form (dormant, that their shell has evolved enough to survive the filteration system of even the best water treatment plants. I also understand that each Water treatment plant is allowed so much lea way where this is concerned..

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5038
04/11/00 05:30 PM
04/11/00 05:30 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hi Bourbon,<P>Ya, Giardia lamblia is one tough critter. In its cyst form it can be resistant to even realitively high levels of chlorine and even iodine. In areas wher there is denser human population or agricultural activity you can definately expect to find Giardia and possibly even Cryptosporidium (another nasty bug).<P>I did not realize this until I called an old friend and former co-worker yesterday, but there are very few water treatment systems in North America that are able to eliiminate Giardia. Most water treatment is straight chemical (chlorine or chloramine). Only a coarse physical, or mechanical, filter is used to filter out floaties and cloudiness. To make matters worse, nothing is done to filter out the pesticides and other agricultural chemicals that run off into out streams and rivers.<P>There are only two ways to effectively deal with Giardia and Crypto: One is to boil water before you drink it. The other is to use mechanical filtration with an absolute pore size of 1 micron or less. Most mechanical filters (such as the PUR) will also have a carbon filter element, thus reducing or eliminating pesticides and other chemicals as well.<P> []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif[/]Even water can't be simple any more. Welcome to the 21st century.

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5039
04/11/00 07:11 PM
04/11/00 07:11 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

zazu,<P>i hope you're kidding too- you realize that no type of water has any nutritional content or calories? its supposed to go through you flushing out anything in the kidneys and also helps with digestion. i havent seen anyone else mention this but im almost positive that you cant just give fruit juice in replace of water. all living creatures need fresh water everyday- not sugar filled fruit juice. do you think the fruit juice doesn't contain preservatives or other nasties, even if you make it yourself?<BR>anyway, me and all my pets here drink water that has been purified by reverse osmosis- i can't stand the chlorine or fluoride in the water.

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5040
04/12/00 12:54 AM
04/12/00 12:54 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Brad: I am so confused now. Does the PUR not filter out the girardia? I am very concerened here for myself and my glider. The vet told me to buy spring water, but several are now telling me that they don't filter it either. What should I do? If I boild it, how long can I use it after that? Will it loose any of its value after that? Please help me if you can. Thanks so far.<P>Mary

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5041
04/12/00 11:37 AM
04/12/00 11:37 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Some PUR filters do get rid of giardia, some don't. I personally went with one that does, rather than buy spring water that I'm not sure about.<BR>Check out the different types of PUR filters at the link below. Find the type you want first, and then you can go find it at Wal-Mart or HomeBase type stores. Or camping stores, as Brad said.<P><A HREF="http://www.purwater.com/L3_pro_pitch_plus.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.purwater.com/L3_pro_pitch_plus.shtml</A> (this is the one I bought, it does filter giardia)<BR> <A HREF="http://www.purwater.com/L1_products.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.purwater.com/L1_products.shtml</A> <BR>(this link is the list of all products they sell, and each one states what it filters)<P>I hope Brad can explain about how long boiled water can sit, I can't.<P>------------------<BR>Toni Picard<BR>Owned by Gliders Pepe & Penny, and other assorted animals<p>[This message has been edited by Zookeeper (edited 04-12-2000).]

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5042
04/12/00 06:26 PM
04/12/00 06:26 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

ok this is for my obsessive c0ompulsive personality []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/] can humans get over this sickness without going to see a doctor?

Re: If you use tap water please read. [Re: ] #5043
04/12/00 08:55 PM
04/12/00 08:55 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Beck: The PUR faucet filters, under counter filter, counter top filter, and the more expensive pitcher filters will all filter out both Giardia and Cryptosporidium. The PUR outdoors/travel filters are also capable of eliminating viruses and bacteria by way of an iodine resin within the filter element. However long term intake of iodine can cause problems for your thyroid gland so the travel filters should not be used for more than a few weeks at a time.<P>If you really want the last word in home water filtration, you should look into a Reverse Osmosis (RO) filter. They are the ultimate. It will cost a bit more up front, but the filter elements will last longer so the long-term cost is not bad at all. Look for RO filter systems at Home Depot or check in your local yellow pages under water filtration.<P><BR>Zookeeper: Boiled water can be kept for well over 4 weeks in the fridge. Some experts even suggest that if it is in a sealed container that it will keep for up to 6 months with out bacterial bloom. However, I would not recommend this unless the containers themselves have been sterilized before filling with water.<P>Siren223: Like any illness, it depends. Some people can get over it without antibiotics and some can't. You would want to see a doctor anyway. Because of the ferocious diarrhea []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/sad.gif[/](I’m not exaggerating) that accompanies the illness it is very easy to become critically dehydrated. <P><BR>Hope this helps,<P>Brad.<BR>

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024