Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
USDA Breeder Licensing #444298
01/03/08 02:49 AM
01/03/08 02:49 AM
Northeast TN bordering VA/NC
Bubbles8i8 Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Bubbles8i8  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Hello all,

If this is in the wrong forum, I'm sorry! I wasn't sure whether to post here or in Community Hall or Babbies and Breeding.

I was wanting to find information about what exactly is looked at during an inspection. I have heard it is better if cages are on scrubbable floors and in a room where the walls can be scrubbed, etc, but how much does that matter? Is it best to have disposable tarps or shower curtains on the walls, or are fleece cage covers that can be washed sufficient?

I understand how to go about the paperwork and applications, I am just needing info about the inspections and what takes place, etc.

Thank you for any replies!

smile

Jenny tounge

Wife to Josh, Mom to Taylor heart

:glider: Coo & Chimera
:glider: Ruckus & Mayhem
:glider: Adonis & Persephone & Aphrodite
www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Cages, Toys, Wheels, Pouches, Treats
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Bubbles8i8] #444304
01/03/08 03:03 AM
01/03/08 03:03 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Sorry Jenny, I moved this to regulations and somehow missed the little box to leave you a pointer blush I'm sure the ladies that are licensed and familiar with what you need to worry about will be along soon to help you out wink

Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: BeckiT] #444311
01/03/08 03:08 AM
01/03/08 03:08 AM
Bubbles8i8 Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Bubbles8i8  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Thank you Becki!

Jenny tounge

www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Bubbles8i8] #445516
01/04/08 11:13 PM
01/04/08 11:13 PM
Bubbles8i8 Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Bubbles8i8  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Anybody?

Jenny tounge

www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Bubbles8i8] #445523
01/04/08 11:33 PM
01/04/08 11:33 PM

P
partyofsix
Unregistered
partyofsix
Unregistered
P

It really depends on your inspector as to how much it matters. Once you apply for a license they should send you a packet in the mail explaining everything.
I've heard that the cages have to be off the floor and that the gliders food has to be seperate from your food.
I was going to get licensed last year, but they wouldn't even let me be licensed unless I have at least four breeding females. I only have two. I'm sure some one will be along that can give you more information.

Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: ] #445956
01/05/08 07:02 PM
01/05/08 07:02 PM
Bubbles8i8 Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Bubbles8i8  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Thanx!

Jenny tounge

www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Bubbles8i8] #445974
01/05/08 07:40 PM
01/05/08 07:40 PM

J
JrGliders
Unregistered
JrGliders
Unregistered
J

Hey Jenny - just an FYI: The Raleigh East Coast USDA office does not automatically send you a package when you request one online for breeding Sugar Gliders. You will want to call them and confirm that you understand the breeding regulations and that you actually *will* need a license.

Apparently they have a lot of people requesting packages for breeding Sugar Gliders, even though they have less than 3 breeding females in the household.

Just warning you - I waited 6 months for a package to arrive and it never did. And the gentleman explained all of this to me when I called him. After I confirmed it for them, I got my package in three days.

Some hints for inspection: Cages off of the floor, food kept in sealed containers off of the floor, proper lighting, proper paperwork and vet records in order. Sometimes they will let you fix a problem if you can while they are there, so if it would have been a deficiency, and you fix it right then, they wont count it against you (meaning no need to go through a re-visit). Floors must be able to be easily cleaned, whether by small removable rugs or (preferably) a tiled floor. Cage covers are fine for your cages. They may not allow breeding of other species in the same area - some inspectors are picky about it and others don't seem to mind if you have the animals securely caged.

Hope it helps!

Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: ] #446006
01/05/08 08:28 PM
01/05/08 08:28 PM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
I have been waiting for many months for my packet to arrive. I guess I'm going to call them back up and see what's up. I know this is a lengthy process but geesh....

Cindy
Mom to
Jae, Ashton, Briannah, Nevaeh & Addy

& all my fuzzies!
Breeder of Leu's, Mosaics, wfb, and standard grey's.
Owner of www.MySugarAddiction.com

:rtmo: :leu:

Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: GliderLove] #446198
01/05/08 11:29 PM
01/05/08 11:29 PM
Quincy, IL 62305
Lynsie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Lynsie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL 62305
It took me months to get my packet also, and then a few more months to get the inspector here. My inspector was really nice. The main thing he was worried about was having all the paperwork. For the gliders that you purchased and sold you need to have their name, address, and phone number.

He didn't have any complaints on my gliders, their cages, or their room. I asked him if the cages needed to be off the ground and he said they didn't HAVE to be but you did need to be able to easily move them to clean around them.

He said the food doesn't have to be stored away from the people food, it just couldn't be stored near any types of chemicals and all needed to be in containers.

Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Lynsie] #446340
01/06/08 03:50 AM
01/06/08 03:50 AM
Bubbles8i8 Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Bubbles8i8  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Thank you all for posting!

I started out with the glider cage being in the mouse/rat/ferret room which has particle board (? its the stuff that is under the carpet padding, under the carpet) flooring (we had a water leak in the neighboring bathroom so we just ripped up all the carpet in there) but now they are in our living room area which has the snap-together laminate flooring. It is water proof and stain resistant so it is very easy to clean. Our cage is on rollers, up off the floor, too.

How do those of you who feed BML store the frozen mix? I just leave it in the ice cube trays until I use it all. Do you pop the cubes out and put them in tupperware? Or do you just freeze it in a large bowl with lid and scoop out what you need each night?

Just in case anyone is wondering, I only have one female now, but I do have a trio of girls coming in Feb so I will have 4 all together and will need the license then.

I'll put a call in to the USDA office on Monday and hopefully they'll get my packet out to me ASAP.

Anything else you guys might think of just let me know! I'm all ears. smile

Thanx

Jenny tounge

www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Bubbles8i8] #446350
01/06/08 04:07 AM
01/06/08 04:07 AM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

Don't you only need to license them if you are going to be breeding the females? dunno (Or maybe you are and I am just totally out of the loop! smile But I thought that just having three females didn't mean you had to be licensed, right?)

Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: ] #446354
01/06/08 04:38 AM
01/06/08 04:38 AM
Bubbles8i8 Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Bubbles8i8  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

If you have more than 3 intact females and you are breeding with any of them (even if its just one of them), you need to be licensed.

To clarify, I will be breeding the trio of girls. They will be paired with my Leu male that I'm also getting in Feb.

smile

Jenny tounge

www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Bubbles8i8] #446358
01/06/08 05:06 AM
01/06/08 05:06 AM
Quincy, IL 62305
Lynsie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Lynsie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL 62305
I'm not sure if they will actually license you if you only have one cage of gliders or not.

As for the BML it should be dumped from the ice cube tray into either a freezer safe bowl or bag.

Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Lynsie] #446366
01/06/08 06:04 AM
01/06/08 06:04 AM
Bubbles8i8 Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Bubbles8i8  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

I'll have two cages when they come for inspection. One cage with 1 female and the other cage with 3 females. From everything I can find, you have to be licensed if you have more than 3 intact females, whether they breed or not.

So for the BML, I could just use a ziplock freezer bag to store the cubes? That sounds easy enough. For the frozen fruit and veggies, you'd do the same? Just in a freezer bag? That is almost too easy. tounge

Thanx for answering all my questions!

Jenny tounge

www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Bubbles8i8] #446370
01/06/08 06:23 AM
01/06/08 06:23 AM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
I'm sorry Im confused .. You have 3 females? 4 females? How many cages?? You just said two cages: 1 with one female one with three?? Which cage will your new male be in?? the one with three or one??

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
*Website is down temporarily should be back up by November!*
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Laurens_Babies] #446373
01/06/08 06:54 AM
01/06/08 06:54 AM
Bubbles8i8 Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Bubbles8i8  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Lol. Sorry. I have a male/female pair now and I'm getting a quad that will have 1 male/3females. The females have grown up together since they were little and they will be intro'd the male.

Jenny tounge

www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Bubbles8i8] #446375
01/06/08 07:07 AM
01/06/08 07:07 AM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
Woah.. In my opinion and in everything I have heard quads are a really bad idea. I wouldn't be surprise if you were turned down for a USDA license for this.

Also *intact females* I believe there are only 2 vets in the US that will spay a sugar glider so probably about 99.9% of all female sugar gliders are NOT fixed. So this status does not matter. USDA licensing is if you are selling sugar gliders and you have 3 or 4 depending on where you live *breeding* female sugar gliders. THEREFORE If you have 3 or 4 females that you intend to have joeys thru this would apply to YOU.

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Laurens_Babies] #446378
01/06/08 07:18 AM
01/06/08 07:18 AM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
Also who are you getting this trio from ?? Do they know you intend to breed the three with another male. Cause the only time I have seen trios of same sexed gliders sold they are either rescues or from some one breed quads before and are seperating the male from the females.

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Laurens_Babies] #446381
01/06/08 08:00 AM
01/06/08 08:00 AM
Bubbles8i8 Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Bubbles8i8  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Originally Posted By: Laurens_Babies
Woah.. In my opinion and in everything I have heard quads are a really bad idea. I wouldn't be surprise if you were turned down for a USDA license for this.

Also *intact females* I believe there are only 2 vets in the US that will spay a sugar glider so probably about 99.9% of all female sugar gliders are NOT fixed. So this status does not matter. USDA licensing is if you are selling sugar gliders and you have 3 or 4 depending on where you live *breeding* female sugar gliders. THEREFORE If you have 3 or 4 females that you intend to have joeys thru this would apply to YOU.

Honey, I know that female gliders are not spayed. The law applies to all species that are regulated by the USDA, so if you had 1 female hedgehog and 3 female gliders (for example), but you only wanted to breed one of the gliders to sell the babies, you'd need a license. If you have 5 female gliders and you are breeding only 1 of them to sell the babies, you'd need a license.

I also understand the risks with quads but as I already stated, these 3 girls have grown up together their entire lives and will be right at breeding age when I get them. I am prepared to handle any situation that may arise.

Originally Posted By: Laurens_Babies
Also who are you getting this trio from ?? Do they know you intend to breed the three with another male. Cause the only time I have seen trios of same sexed gliders sold they are either rescues or from some one breed quads before and are seperating the male from the females.

I know you are concerned for the well being of the gliders, but I was just wanting info about what the USDA inspector will be looking for. The trio of girls comes from a responsible breeder and she does know my intent with them, because she is very select about where her babies go and I have no reason to be dishonest with her. She knows I will give them a great home. They are not rescues, nor have they ever bred or even been with a male before.

Can we please keep this on topic? smile

Thanx

Jenny tounge

www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Bubbles8i8] #446421
01/06/08 12:36 PM
01/06/08 12:36 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
The law is not clear really.

It says if you maintain 3 or less "breeding" females (dogs or cats, and they have by default included gliders)AND sell only offspring born on the premises AND sell for pets or exhibition, then you are exempt from licensing requirements.

It does specifically say "Breeding", not breedable females.

Also, breeding quads are not common but I do have one and it is working so far. The females are a mother and her twin daughters. Just be prepared to seperate them if needed and be prepared for lossed joeys.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Dancing] #446589
01/06/08 05:39 PM
01/06/08 05:39 PM
Quincy, IL 62305
Lynsie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Lynsie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL 62305
I think your best bet is to call the regional office and ask if you are qualified to be licensed.

Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Dancing] #446657
01/06/08 07:45 PM
01/06/08 07:45 PM
Bubbles8i8 Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Bubbles8i8  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Originally Posted By: Lynsie
I think your best bet is to call the regional office and ask if you are qualified to be licensed.

This is the best idea I've heard all day! lol But really, this is a great idea and it is now my plan for Monday. I'll report back what I hear from them.

Originally Posted By: Dancing
The law is not clear really.

It says if you maintain 3 or less "breeding" females (dogs or cats, and they have by default included gliders)AND sell only offspring born on the premises AND sell for pets or exhibition, then you are exempt from licensing requirements.

It does specifically say "Breeding", not breedable females.

Also, breeding quads are not common but I do have one and it is working so far. The females are a mother and her twin daughters. Just be prepared to seperate them if needed and be prepared for lossed joeys.

I was under the impression that the USDA considered any intact female (therefor all glider females) to be a breeding female. Is that not true?

As I said, I do understand the risks of quads, but since these girls have grown up together since they were tiny there is a better chance of the quad succeeding. If the quad does not work out, I will divide it up where two of the girls are caged together while one girl stays with the boy.

Just to explain the situation- I was planning to purchase only one of the girls (a 66% leu het) to go with my Leu male, but I really wanted a trio. I did not want to take the chance of baby stealing, etc. by introducing an unfamiliar female, but the other two females (WF) that were living with the 66% girl had already been reserved. The two WF girls are very well bonded to each other and have been living with the 66% girl since they were little joeys. The deal with the WF girls fell through (I think this is the 2nd or 3rd time) so I then had the opportunity to get all three. If it doesn't work out with all 4 suggies in the same cage, the two WF girls will get their own cage and the 66% girl will stay with the Leu boy (unless for some reason they dont like each other or other circumstances arise).

Does it make more sense now? I didn't just run out looking for 3 girls to throw with my leu boy, the opportunity found its way to me by chance. I feel in my heart that it was meant to be because these lovely little WF girls have been reserved several times but it always falls through. I think it happened for a reason.

smile

Jenny tounge

www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Bubbles8i8] #446672
01/06/08 08:19 PM
01/06/08 08:19 PM
Hudson Valley, NY
krysKritters Offline
Glider Addict
krysKritters  Offline
Glider Addict

Hudson Valley, NY
Originally Posted By: Bubbles8i8

I was under the impression that the USDA considered any intact female (therefor all glider females) to be a breeding female. Is that not true?

According to the inspector that I spoke to, Yes but only exotics.

For example: 3 female gliders & a female hedgehog, yes. 3 female gliders and a female dog, no. It doesn't matter how many are actually breeding/producing offspring, as long as 1 is they all count.

Krys DeRosa
Godfather of the NY Glider Mafia

KrysKritters.comcloud9

A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world.
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: krysKritters] #446754
01/06/08 10:17 PM
01/06/08 10:17 PM
Bubbles8i8 Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Bubbles8i8  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Originally Posted By: krysKritters
Originally Posted By: Bubbles8i8

According to the inspector that I spoke to, Yes but only exotics.

For example: 3 female gliders & a female hedgehog, yes. 3 female gliders and a female dog, no. It doesn't matter how many are actually breeding/producing offspring, as long as 1 is they all count.

Ok, that is what I thought, too. That it only applied to animals that were regulated by the USDA.

Jenny tounge

www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Bubbles8i8] #446860
01/06/08 11:46 PM
01/06/08 11:46 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline
Glider Addict

Ohio
Actually, I heard the exact opposite when I called the USDA.

I have 3 female gliders right now and they are caged with a neutered male. I will soon be getting another female who will be cages with an intact male.

The USDA person who I spoke with said I do NOT need a license since there is only one girl being bred and cages with the intact male and the others live seperately.

When you call back, be sure to clarify the laws with whoever you speak with. Right down what they say as well as their names and the time/date you called. wink

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Guerita135] #446890
01/07/08 12:11 AM
01/07/08 12:11 AM

T
TnR
Unregistered
TnR
Unregistered
T

I've heard that because sugar glider can not normally be spayed that having them caged alone or with neutered males was considered non-breeding.

Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: ] #446916
01/07/08 12:33 AM
01/07/08 12:33 AM
Bubbles8i8 Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Bubbles8i8  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

I will definitely ask to be sure and I'll post what I find out. smile

Jenny tounge

www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: Bubbles8i8] #503695
03/14/08 12:05 AM
03/14/08 12:05 AM
USA
sweetheart26 Offline
Glider Addict
sweetheart26  Offline
Glider Addict

USA
i have one breeding pair of gliders at this time, but im looking into buying two more pairs to breed..plus i will have one breeding pair of gerbils..Do i need a USDA license?? im not sure!!

mom to sugar gliders storm,thunder,lighting,snowball,rosebud,winter,string,summer fall and sweet.

Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: sweetheart26] #503762
03/14/08 01:13 AM
03/14/08 01:13 AM

I
irony26
Unregistered
irony26
Unregistered
I

You will yes, if you have more than three females of any species, you must get licenced

Re: USDA Breeder Licensing [Re: ] #503763
03/14/08 01:15 AM
03/14/08 01:15 AM
USA
sweetheart26 Offline
Glider Addict
sweetheart26  Offline
Glider Addict

USA
thanks...

mom to sugar gliders storm,thunder,lighting,snowball,rosebud,winter,string,summer fall and sweet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 395 guests, and 108 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,596 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,175 OKLAHOMA
432,180 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024