Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Are you ready for rescues? #513906
03/26/08 08:28 PM
03/26/08 08:28 PM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

I recently saw a post stating that a person was "ready" for rescues. I'd just like some clarification on what that means.....Especially when the person posting originally is very new to gliders and only recently contacted me looking for suggies. I would just like to ask, what makes one ready to rescue?

I just have a feeling that the original poster has no idea what she's asking for! Being a rescuer is a lot more than just having an extra cage or two for gliders.

Are you prepared for gliders with health and severe behavioral issues? What will you do if you have a glider that is a self mutilator? What about males? Do you have a veterinarian who can neuter all males entering your home? Do you have the funds set aside to do so?

Rescuing is not something to be taken lightly. I can tell you that I've been doing it for about three years full time now and I am not even closely qualified to take in a special needs glider who is prone to sming, etc....

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: ] #513936
03/26/08 08:54 PM
03/26/08 08:54 PM
Garland, TX
Mel2mdl Offline
Glider Addict
Mel2mdl  Offline
Glider Addict

Garland, TX
I've had three rescues fall into my lap. One, I kept. The other two started fighting in the presence of a female (separate, of course) and I was panicked. I had no appropriate cages or toys.

Fortunately, the glider community helped out and we muddled through. I paid to have them all 3 neutered (well, someone paid for one...) and wellness checks. I had people contact me about them, then not answer questions. The two boys found a home this weekend and my heart is breaking... cry I know they are in a happier situation, but it feels weird to have only 2 cages - not five. (The first little boy is in with my others now.)

I don't think anyone is truly ready for rescues! blush

Molly, son & husband:

Chairman Meow
Oscar & Thomas
Sam, Diego, Delilah, Delia :wfb:
Nevada, Noel
Marcel, Dakota, Latte
Dexter, Didi, Almond, Joy and Fitz
:grey:
Karl,Lenny,Jynxie,Chamille, Kee & Mr. Beans in my heart forever.
Teaching teenagers-part joy, part guerilla warfare! :rbridge:
Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: Mel2mdl] #513942
03/26/08 08:59 PM
03/26/08 08:59 PM

P
peace
Unregistered
peace
Unregistered
P

rescueing is very hard and takes alot of personal time.

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: ] #513948
03/26/08 09:05 PM
03/26/08 09:05 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Oh, wow, well...I've been doing it for about 3 years now, and I have to say....NO, I'm not!!!! LOL I can handle the financial end of it, but the time and emotional toll are so hard to deal with that if I knew what I know now, I would never have done it. Except, then I wouldn't have all those wonderful babies that are so hard on my heart. But it is so hard...

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: USMom] #514019
03/26/08 10:10 PM
03/26/08 10:10 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I'm not sure how many years I've been doing it and I'm not really ready either.

The emotional toll is tremendous. The constant worry over their health and well being...the worry over finding just the right home for them. The constant second guessing yourself when things don't go right... All the "What ifs".

Rescueing...true rescueing is NOT for the faint of heart.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: USMom] #514022
03/26/08 10:13 PM
03/26/08 10:13 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

I'm assuming "ready for rescues" means you feel you have the time, money, and experience to open your home to gliders who need a new home.

That being said, I agree that I'm not sure if you're ever "ready," and also I imagine some people who post that they're "ready for rescues" may be ready while others may not be. It could be someone with the best of intentions or it could be someone with no idea what they are getting into. But at least if they're posting here, hopefully they're educating themselves about gliders dunno

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: ] #514026
03/26/08 10:19 PM
03/26/08 10:19 PM
Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
cyndiekb Offline
Serious Glideritis
cyndiekb  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
Not me not ready at all.

cyndiekb

I heart & miss you HALEY

My runaways 4/04 Lilo, 5/04 Dash & Angel

angel Sprite Says GO STEALTH!! at
AtticWorx
Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: cyndiekb] #514031
03/26/08 10:21 PM
03/26/08 10:21 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
I'm assuming "ready for rescues" means you feel you have the time, money, and experience to open your home to gliders who need a new home.

Being "ready for rescues" is so much different than "ready to be a rescuer".

I should have said...

Being a rescuer is NOT for the unexperiened or faint of heart.

Some of the rescues I've placed into homes are sweet and wonderful little guys. Other's well...some of the others needed more work.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: USMom] #514038
03/26/08 10:25 PM
03/26/08 10:25 PM

T
TWilson
Unregistered
TWilson
Unregistered
T

Four of my babies are rescues, like Molly, they fell into my lap.
All of them were taken to the vet for well checks as soon as they got here and the boys were all neutered, at my own expense.

I have 3 rooms with gliders. One in my guest room, she just got here and all of my gliders go into a 30 day quarantine. My dining room has a pair that came to me last month, the female had joeys in pouch when I got her so her and her mate cannot go into the glider room until the babies are weaned, can't stress the family. (Her mate was neutered within 2 days of coming here)

Making sure all are cared for, played with, fed and cage cleaning, room cleaning, nail clipping etc., is a full time job. Thank goodness my skin kids are grown and married or there would be no way I could do it all.

I cannot and will not rehome any of these babies, they have been through too much or are mill bred and this is their forever home.

Anyone who says, "I can take them all or it is easy" is either not taking care of the gliders properly or is lying.

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: Dancing] #514042
03/26/08 10:28 PM
03/26/08 10:28 PM

L
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered
L

i agree with dancing.. I actually asked the OP to clarify. was she ready to take in rescues as a forever home and love them as pets, or was she going to love them as rescues, rehabilitate them, foster them, and then find them new homes. I never did get an answer back.. but a few people on here wanted to rescue.

its a GREAT sentiment, and shouldnt be discouraged, but the people should know what they are getting themselves in to. Also, the area of the country the live in has a lot to do with it. are the suggie sin your area in need of rescues, how many??

The biggest concern that ALWAYS pops into my head is money. Most people dont think it takes a lot of money to rescue, just love and time. but like you all have said, rescues come with all sorts of problems, and then theres a neutering of all the males.. i;m sure its insanely expensive to take care of, and to do it on your own, then give the animals to someone else forever is a BIG burden for most people..

THEN there is the time, You really have to devote ALL of your free time to rescues if you want to keep healthy animals..

and finally, can you say no. Do you, yourself, know when enough is enough. Can you turn away a rescue when you are full to capacity? How many gliders can you care for at one time? Will there be people there to help you?

there are SOO many things that go into it. I thought about doing it. My plan was to finish the basement in my new house and make a suggie rescue group. I know now, that i dont have the money to even THINK about doing it, but i still want to help, so i try to help in my own way.. but people HAVE to be realistic about taking suggies into their lives, especially rescues.

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: ] #514045
03/26/08 10:31 PM
03/26/08 10:31 PM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

I know that I'm always a bit panicked when I know I have a new rescue coming in because I don't always know what I'm facing and that's with a couple of years of intensive research, a great vet, lots of support and having rescued countless other animals on a regular basis.

It just always scares me a bit when someone joins the glider community and a week later "hangs out a shingle" declaring themselves a rescue homw...

I'm glad they're here and able to get good information, but I hope they understand that just because they've adopted their first gliders that doesn't make them 'ready' for rescuing!

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: ] #514078
03/26/08 10:59 PM
03/26/08 10:59 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
Anyone who tells me that they are ready to rescue hasn't met MY rescues. Is anyone ever ready for a Jackie Chan? How 'bout a Nugget? NO. I was not ready for them. I am totally ready for ANOTHER Jackie or another Nugget, or Spirit or Cheddar, or Agape, BUT, who knows what is coming next? I feel confident that I am not ready for the unknown. Just like suggiemom said, I get nervous with each new rescue.

IMO, noone should even consider becoming a rescue home until they have taken in, rehabilitated and loved at least one rescued glider of their OWN. There is a huge difference between being a rescue home and adopting rescues. As Dancing says - Being a rescuer is NOT for the faint of heart.

Last edited by Jackie_Chans_Mom; 03/26/08 11:07 PM.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: ] #514079
03/26/08 11:00 PM
03/26/08 11:00 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Being owned by 11 furkids, I have the highest respect for those who are willing and able to take on the job of rescuing the many out there in need. And, yes, do not think for a minute it is not a job complete with all the heartaches as well as the rewards.

Even with my 11 pets, there is no life other people consider normal because you always have to consider the gliders. For me, it is second nature but for those not accustomed, it seems like such a lot of trouble.

Like Tammy, our only child is now grown with his own family but eventhough I could financially deal with the rescue part, it is the special needs cases that I would not be prepared for.

With our group, I can't remember the last time my husband and I had an extended vacation together because one of us has to be here to make sure they are fed properly. We do have a neighbor who will feed them for short periods, if I prepare their meals ahead of time, but you couldn't do that with a large number of rescues.

shakehead I just can't do it either. Like Lindsay said, I'll have to find other ways to help wink

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: KarenE] #514136
03/26/08 11:52 PM
03/26/08 11:52 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Oh, the time factor! My goodness! We are taking our first vacation in 3 years (7 days) in June. And, just like last time, my in-laws are moving in to take care of the sugg's while we are gone. Can you imagine, having to have someone move into your house everytime you want to go somewhere for more than a day?

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: USMom] #514149
03/27/08 12:00 AM
03/27/08 12:00 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
You're one of the lucky one's Shawna. Not everyone who rescues even has someone willing or able to do that. I'll bet even with them there, you will be worried that some emergency will come up that will require vet care or something they might not be able to handle.

There is always something. Even an extended day trip requires that you plan ahead because the gliders still have to be fed on time.

Congratulations on your vacation this year. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. You certainly deserve it.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: KarenE] #514155
03/27/08 12:08 AM
03/27/08 12:08 AM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

I've been taking advantage to some time away lately. My daughter will be 18 in October and going off to school and out on her own and without her to stay home for a weekend to let me do what I need to do for the other rescues I care for, it would be really difficult.

I know there will be a time when I have no choice but to scale back if I don't have her help. My son has no interest in helping and you can't force it on them or they wind up resenting the animals so we work on the "If you wouldn't mind helping me" plan around here. If they DO mind, I do it myself!

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: ] #514162
03/27/08 12:22 AM
03/27/08 12:22 AM

M
MagicMan
Unregistered
MagicMan
Unregistered
M

When I went to the SGR in Round Rock I met Val <Jackie Chan's, Val>. I talked with her and I was really interested in getting a rescue. But after only a little bit of time, I decided it would not be best. Not for myself or the glider. I havent ever owned suggies before so I decided I would wait and go ahead and get a pair of healthy babies. I am still waiting for them to come oop but I just thought it would be best. I would hate to jump right in and get over my head. Saying that, I wasnt concerned with myself but moreso for the sake of the glider. Getting a rescue is something I might consider in the future but I wanna make sure I can do it to the best of my ability. Even when you have a "normal" , healthy glider, theres still a lot of responsibility. I wouldnt have ever considered getting one unless I had done the research, knew I had a support system close by and had vets that deal with them close by. With this said, Im so excited to be a part of the suggie world and this site has helped me learn so much. I know I am ready for my babies to come home and be a SUGGIE SLAVE!!

smile

So thanks everyone!!

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: ] #514198
03/27/08 12:55 AM
03/27/08 12:55 AM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

See...this saddens me a little.

People see the word RESCUE and automatically think of the worst.

Some of the sweetest gliders I've had the pleasure to spend time with were rescues.

Littleman and Valentino spent almost a year here with me because I just had to find the perfect home for them. Not because they were difficult but because they were so sweet I had a hard time letting them go.

Sweetpea...another little darlin...

Whisper and Sebastian
Reep and Azalea

All rescues that are still with me and will forever remain here are the most loving and wonderful gliders ever. Reep came to me almost bald but it was from stress and diet. I corrected those two issues and he is totally healthy and such a love bug.

George...now named Storm I believe...
Sweet boy with a bit of an independent attitude. Last report...he is doing wonderful.

Toffee was initially rescued by his vet after his owner allowed EXTREME neglect lasting for MONTHS resulting in Toffee's front arm being amputated at the shoulder. His vet saved him after his owner said to just put him down because she didn't want to spend the money for the surgery. His vet then called Anita and Anita called me...I would have kept Toffee in a heart beat but my daughter HeatherK claimed him. He is such a sweet doll that just smothers her with kisses constantly.

SO many I've had through here that came as rescues. So many who are now sweet and loving babies and being very spoiled.

A good RESCUER/RESCUE HOME will rehabilitate them and socialize them and then carefully look for the RIGHT homes for them based on the human's personality as well as the gliders.

I have to say...if I put it into percentages...90% of the gliders I've had come to me, within a month were sweet wonderful little babies. The other 10% took a bit more time but NO glider is a DEMON...

I guess I've been really lucky...I've not had one like Jackie Chan or Chronos come to me, with the extreme lifelong medical issues.

Most rescues issues are socialization, diet and stress related. Many may have some bacterial issues or parasite issues but those can be treated fairly easy.

Adopting a rescue from a RESCUE HOME is MUCH different than taking in a rescue directly from the problem home.

620-704-9109

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: Dancing] #514204
03/27/08 01:05 AM
03/27/08 01:05 AM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
Originally Posted By: Dancing
A good RESCUER/RESCUE HOME will rehabilitate them and socialize them and then carefully look for the RIGHT homes for them based on the human's personality as well as the gliders.

but NO glider is a DEMON...

Adopting a rescue from a RESCUE HOME is MUCH different than taking in a rescue directly from the problem home.

AMEN, AMEN & AMEN!

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #514257
03/27/08 06:53 AM
03/27/08 06:53 AM
Garland, TX
Mel2mdl Offline
Glider Addict
Mel2mdl  Offline
Glider Addict

Garland, TX
I feel a need to clarify my previous post.

I have four 'rescues' that will be here forever. Sassy and Sampson came from Dancing. Sampson still doesn't like being held, but he lets me clip nails and hold his back feet (as long as he can hold onto the bars with the front!) The first night I had him, he bit my uncle to the bone! (Uncle's fault in part...) Now, my mom tells me she reaches into the pouch and pets all of them when she babysits. Sassy rides my shoulder though now.

Nevada and Noel came from Nancy. They have always been nice. (My son stole them, though.) I love these two as well, but they were nice to start with.

Now, in my opinion, anyone could be ready for rescues in this way. Adopting a rescue is wonderful. They can be great! grin BUT, the other three were given to me. I had to neuter them, and find them homes. I was lucky and found a good home for the two. (Mr. Beans, the first glider I got this way, crawled into my heart and eventually into Nevada and Noel's pouch. He is here to stay.) Those three will probably be my only 'rescues.' I am just not emotionally capable of loving on them and giving them up. And I could never deal with a glider like Jackie Chan or Nugget. Don't have the time, to be honest!

Molly, son & husband:

Chairman Meow
Oscar & Thomas
Sam, Diego, Delilah, Delia :wfb:
Nevada, Noel
Marcel, Dakota, Latte
Dexter, Didi, Almond, Joy and Fitz
:grey:
Karl,Lenny,Jynxie,Chamille, Kee & Mr. Beans in my heart forever.
Teaching teenagers-part joy, part guerilla warfare! :rbridge:
Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: Mel2mdl] #514259
03/27/08 07:01 AM
03/27/08 07:01 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
I guess I am not the best rescue, as far as being able to rehome. But most I have taken in would fall under the catagory of a rescue (except I bought them to get them out of a bad situation.) I am pretty much full, but know in my heart, if a very bad situation presented itself, I could not turn my back on a glider in a dire situation. My hat goes off to those who over years have taken in, rehabbed and found wonderful loving homes for these sweet babies. It is a very hard to love something and put some much of yourself into them and then worry about how they will be treated when they leave the protection of your home. Takes a very special person........That being said, all my babies are loved and spoiled to the best of my ability and I guess that is ok, too!

Last edited by pappy1264; 03/27/08 07:01 AM.

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: pappy1264] #514358
03/27/08 11:03 AM
03/27/08 11:03 AM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

This post wasn't ABOUT whether rescue gliders are good gliders or bad gliders! It's also not about whether someone, including a newbie would make a good home for a rescue glider, it was ABOUT how someone is part of the community for a very short time and suddenly announces they are "ready" for rescues and me wondering just what they meant by that!!

How does one get "ready" for rescues? If that includes having a spare cage then I think that person needs to rethink the situation because they may get a lot more than they bargained for!

I know I got my first glider after getting a phone call asking me if I wanted this horrible "thing"! I don't think a lot of us PLAN on getting rescues, it just sort of happens sometimes, but even so, would we be PREPARED to handle a special needs glider like Jackie Chan? I don't think so and I certainly don't think someone who is brand new to the community and gliders would be up to that task either. I'm afraid it wouldn't do justice to that glider.

I myself now have 15 gliders in my home who are not going anywhere because I've fallen especially in love with each of them.

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: ] #514367
03/27/08 11:17 AM
03/27/08 11:17 AM

T
TWilson
Unregistered
TWilson
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted By: suggiemom

I know I got my first glider after getting a phone call asking me if I wanted this horrible "thing"! I don't think a lot of us PLAN on getting rescues, it just sort of happens sometimes, but even so, would we be PREPARED to handle a special needs glider like Jackie Chan? I don't think so and I certainly don't think someone who is brand new to the community and gliders would be up to that task either. I'm afraid it wouldn't do justice to that glider.

clap
Well said!!!!!!

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: ] #514373
03/27/08 11:29 AM
03/27/08 11:29 AM

S
SuGaR_ObSeSSeD
Unregistered
SuGaR_ObSeSSeD
Unregistered
S

I apologize for being unavailable to post a reply to this, as I didn't exactly mean to cuase such a stir by posting that I was "ready to rescue". Izzy had her joey, and I spent most of the night with her. As for the post, I do apologize. I was unaware that some of the people in the community felt so strongly towards this topic. I have done massive amounts of research over the past months, and have adored my suggies to the best of my ability. I was around suggies as a younger child, and had a small idea of having them when I got older. Yes, recently I adopted 2 of my own, and I love them to death. I do have a financial standing set aside for these guys, and I thought it would be a wonderful thing to be able to take in maybe even a small fraction of those gliders out there that don't get half of what they deserve from their current homes. I wasn't trying to say I would be able to help the whole bunch of them, not even all of them from around my area. I do apologize for that post sounding somewhat "unknowledged". Please feel free to speak openly, as I will answer to the best of my ability when I am on here.

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: ] #514464
03/27/08 01:07 PM
03/27/08 01:07 PM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

Hi! Thanks for answering.

I don't want you to think I was just harping on you, but yes, it is a pretty heated topic usually and we see a lot of "newbies" coming into the community and making claims that they are going to rescue or are rescuers and it's scarey sometimes because like we've said here, even those of us having experience with rescuing there are a lot of areas that we would have to heavily rely on others to help get us through it.

We get a lot of people who are considered "rescuers for profit" and they don't have the best of intentions and are just out to make a quick buck, etc. Sometimes it takes people really getting to know you before there is a lot of trust where gliders are concerned because we've seen so much.

You're just an hour from me though which is great. We need more people in that area that can help out and help out with railroads when needed.

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: ] #514478
03/27/08 01:23 PM
03/27/08 01:23 PM

S
SuGaR_ObSeSSeD
Unregistered
SuGaR_ObSeSSeD
Unregistered
S

I understand this being a very heated topic, but please try to believe me when I say that I have no intentions of breeding the gliders I get to rescue. I am in no way looking to make money off these guys. I just have a special spot for them, and I know how much I love mine. I don't see a problem with taking in a few and helping them out since I have the funds to do so.

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: ] #516242
03/29/08 10:27 PM
03/29/08 10:27 PM

S
suggiemom
Unregistered
suggiemom
Unregistered
S

There is no harm in taking in a couple of unwanted gliders. That wasn't really the point to my post or questions. We've just seen a lot of people come and go that claim to be "rescuers" and when you posted that you were "ready to rescue", well, it's something we've seen before and we'll see again and just because YOU may have good intentions, some of those in the past and I'm sure some in the future were not so inclined! The post wasn't just directed towards you really, just a general observation type thing.

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: ] #516258
03/29/08 10:52 PM
03/29/08 10:52 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

SuGaR_ObSeSSeD

I had no idea that this topic was about any one in particular. Like Suggiemom said, we do see so many come on with "grand ideas" who either end up in WAY over their heads or those that seem to think they can take in free rescued gliders and turn around and SELL them or breed them and sell their offspring. This is where it gets to be a "touchy subject" for many of us.

I think it is FANTASTIC that you want to help the rescues. Lord knows that we(the rescuers) and the gliders need all the help we/they can get.

Since you are so close to Suggiemom, might I suggest you spend some time with her and really LEARN about rescued gliders and rescueing and all that goes along with it. THEN if you are still interested and believe you have the time, commitment, determination and the heart for it...well...like I said, we can use all the help we can get.

None of us wants to discourage ANYONE from helping gliders...we just are cautious because it is so very easy to get in over your head and becoming a rescuer is not to be taken lightly.

If just taking in a rescued pair of gliders as your permenant companions is more of what you have in mind...we can help you with that too.

620-704-9109

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: Dancing] #516265
03/29/08 11:01 PM
03/29/08 11:01 PM
Ohio
gryphon214 Offline
Glider Explorer
gryphon214  Offline
Glider Explorer

Ohio
Perhaps fostering rescued gliders, for someone who already has an established rescue organization, would be a good way to try one's hand with rescues?

Re: Are you ready for rescues? [Re: Dancing] #516270
03/29/08 11:06 PM
03/29/08 11:06 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
SuGaR_ObSeSSeD
I don't think anyone would try to deter you from helping suggies( there are a ton that need it) but I can say that one of my babies was rehomed due to a member here taking in more rescues than they were prepared for and was shortly posting that they were in over their head and needed to rehome to be able to give their personal pets the time and love they deserved.

Most of the time you don't realize you are getting in over your head until you are going under. I think most people just want you to think about what you are asking for and be sure you are ready for it.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024