Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. #518869
04/02/08 07:13 AM
04/02/08 07:13 AM

M
melissa9784
Unregistered
melissa9784
Unregistered
M

Last weekend I brought home two sweet babies, Pinky and Piglet. After doing a little research on this site and many others I realized that my husband and I bought them from a company and not a private breeder. We bought them at a home and garden show from Perfect Pocket Pets. The poor little animals were cramped together in a dirty cage with no food but a small amount of dry kibble. We listened to him talk and fell in love with the little girls. As soon as I got home we put the girls in there home with the heat rock and no fleece pouch as he had suggested (he didn't want them bonding to there cage...what an idiot). THANK GOD I started doing a little research online that same day. Within 1 hour the heat rock was gone and they had a fleece pouch to sleep in. The man also told us to only feed them dry food and he let his eat Pizza Hut and Dorritos. That night we made them a dish of egg yoke, meal worms, boiled chicken, applesauce and raspberries. They are now on the BML diet and I bought some Repcal calcium and vitamins. I still have so many questions about the girls. They have almost doubled in size since Saturday and seem to be bonding well (they love to sleep on my husband and I and come out to jump and play). We have a appt with an exotic vet this coming Sat since (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets has been known to sell sick SG babies. I was hoping some of you could help anwsear some questions until then?

-why dont they want to sleep together in their pouch, only one will sleep in it at a time and it is big enough for both of them?

-is a small hamster ball bad for their small toes (I have a wodent wheel in their cage)? I bought one at the petshop that is approx 3-4 in Radius but haven't put them in it yet?

-one is much larger than the other one and climbs all over the small one. Piglet (the smaller one) sometimes crabs and hisses, is she in pain or just annoyed at her sister?

-car travel...any suggestions? My husband and I are moving next month and it will be a 4 day car trip. I was thinking of getting a small cage for that time in the hotels at night and letting them sleep in their bonding pouches with breaks for food and water every few hours during the day.

-speaking of cages, the one that we were told to buy from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets is only 2'x2'x3'. For 2 gliders how large should we go? I was looking at a larger one that measures 36"x36"x76".

-what can be used to clean the cage itself? I have been changing the aspen beding every 2-3 days but plan on scrubbing the cage down with antibacterial soap 1 time a week. Is this enough and do I need to use something besides the anti-bacterial soap?

Any other help or suggestions please feel free help!

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #518876
04/02/08 07:45 AM
04/02/08 07:45 AM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Welcome to GC! It sounds like in just the few days you have had them, their lives have improved dramatically! I would put at least two pouches in their cage (most use at least and 8"x8", I like mine bigger, I make them about 10"x11"). Most gliders will sleep during the day, so you really wouldn't need to worry about food, but a small water bottle on the cage is a good idea (mealies and waxworms work well for a quick 'snack' on the go!) Many use fleece in the bottom of the cage. Make sure they cannot reach the aspen (mine don't reach down through the grates, but some gliders do). I (and many here) will use clorax wipes for wiping down the cage. You don't want to over clean, either. But sounds like you have a good plan. Make sure to really rinse and dry the cage well. I would not (personally) use the ball. I think I have read if they have the holes their nails can get stuck. Good you are taking them to the vets. When she is crabbing or hissing, is she trying to go potty or is it more of a 'get away from me' to her sister? Siblings and cagemates can have 'squabbles' (as long as they don't ball up and fight) I wouldn't be concerned. But if she is doing these noises, while trying to go potty, that would be reason for concern. Gliders can vary greatly in size. Do you know if they are sisters or just cagemates? The smallest you want to go with two is 36" high (height is the most important). That cage sounds great, but make sure the bar spacing is NO MORE than 1/2 inch, as otherwise, they could get out.

You are already well on your way to being an awesome glider slave (kudos to you for doing your research, your babies will thank you for it!)

Any more questions, as away! And we LOVE pics!!!!

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: pappy1264] #518991
04/02/08 11:53 AM
04/02/08 11:53 AM

M
melissa9784
Unregistered
melissa9784
Unregistered
M

Thank you for all the advice!!! I am buying another sleeping pouch today and gave the exercise ball to a neighbor with hamsters. I will try the bleach wipes too.
Piglet crabbs while, Pinky is on top of her. I think that they are wrestling and hoping they are not fighting. Most of the time they seem to be licking each other and rolling around with no noises. But Piglet from time to time will crab. I think that Pinky also may be marking her while this "wrestling" is happening. I do not know if they are sisters. (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets, is not reputable and told me they were sisters. I also hope and pray they are both females! Is there any way to tell while they are young? Neither have testes or the bald spot on the head.

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #518996
04/02/08 12:04 PM
04/02/08 12:04 PM
Ohio, between Dayton and Cinci...
pebbles1975 Offline
Glider Slave
pebbles1975  Offline
Glider Slave

Ohio, between Dayton and Cinci...
Boys have poms on their bellies and girls have a slit. The one girl might be trying to ride on the other sister's back. As they do when they are young on their parents.

Angie

Harmony :rtmo: , Kahne :wfb: ,
Navaeh :leu: , and Nova :rtmo:
Marsh: albino/creme Het , Mellow: Albino

http://www.freewebs.com/clementsgliders/index.htm
Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #518998
04/02/08 12:06 PM
04/02/08 12:06 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
If neither have testes, they are females. Which one is bigger? Sometimes younger gliders will try to 'ride' on older ones (something they would do with their parents and if the left very young, it could be that). Are they balling up and rolling around? Can you get pics so we can see the size difference? I'm sending you a pm (look for a flashing envelope at the top of your screen. Click on it, then message.)

You're welcome. It will be two years on June 15 when I got my first glider and I knew nothing! This place has been a godsend to me!!!!

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: pebbles1975] #518999
04/02/08 12:07 PM
04/02/08 12:07 PM

W
webbster
Unregistered
webbster
Unregistered
W

How old are the gliders? They do not get a bald spot until they are 4 - 5 months old. My six month old is just starting to get his.

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #519013
04/02/08 12:28 PM
04/02/08 12:28 PM

M
melissa9784
Unregistered
melissa9784
Unregistered
M

Ok as far as age that is one reason we are going in for a vet visit. (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets said they were eight weeks. I do not know if that is eight weeks old or eight weeks OOP and feel really bad I didnt know to ask. It was an impulse buy that my husband and I are trying to right by reading all we can and trying to give them a wonderful habitat, diet and family (colony). Pinky was almost double the size of Piglet on SAT when we brought them home. Both have fur on their tails so I hope that they are eight weeks OOP. Pinky is still larger and she is the one trying to ride on Piglet's back. They appear to be grooming each other ect. They do roll around but there is only occasional crabbing. Most of the time the seem to hold on to each other with there little fingers and snuggle. I will take some pics of this and of them and post them this afternoon.

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #519064
04/02/08 01:04 PM
04/02/08 01:04 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Watch to make sure the bigger one is allowing the smaller to eat. I'm so glad to know you are giving them the best start after where they came from. Those people need to be stopped! I just wish I knew how......sigh.

Mary
Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: pappy1264] #519093
04/02/08 01:49 PM
04/02/08 01:49 PM

L
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered
L

WOW.. i think what you are doing is GREAT!! my first glider came to me from a similar situation. I got him on a semi-impulse buy. I saw a girl in a different pet store with them and i just wanted them. I did some research adn ask a lot of questions and then got one, but i didnt find this site till after i got my glider.. THEN i started changing things like diet and cages and getting him a friend, or 4..

But anyways.. dont beat yourself up for making the impulse buy, those faces are hard to say no tO!! The good thing is that you are on the right track getting everything thoe little guys need

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #519615
04/03/08 09:30 AM
04/03/08 09:30 AM

M
melissa9784
Unregistered
melissa9784
Unregistered
M

My little Piglet is very sick today. I had to rush her to the vet last night. She started having watery diarrhea and shaking, thankfully the vet agreed to see her so late. Piglet and Pinky both were negative for giardia and other bacteria/parasites. The vet thinks that Piglet (my smaller baby) was taken from her parents too young. He thinks she is probably just eight weeks OOP (I bought her Sat and God only knows how long she was with those horrible people at (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets). She is extremely stressed and her little immune system is shutting down. Thankfully she is not self-mutilating at this point but Pinky is shunning her. I have her on preventative anti-biotics, probiotics and a immune supplement from red palm fruit. I have only been able to get her to eat a little yogurt. She is drinking water too. Early this morning I found her sleeping at the bottom of the cage and she seemed to be out of it. I picked her up and she was very upset (crabbing ect) but it almost seemed like she was blind. I got her out of the cage and wrapped her in fleece and held her for a bit. After a few minutes she seemed to come to, just weak. I got her to drink her antibiotics and other meds this morning. I have her in her bonding pouch because she didnt want to leave my hand. I am so worried about her!!! Is there anything else I can do or should be doing???

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #519626
04/03/08 09:40 AM
04/03/08 09:40 AM

G
GoGoGliders
Unregistered
GoGoGliders
Unregistered
G

I would call Suz immediately

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #519628
04/03/08 09:41 AM
04/03/08 09:41 AM

G
GoGoGliders
Unregistered
GoGoGliders
Unregistered
G

here is her info
Phone: 440-953-0904 -or- toll-free 866-399-4476

If it's an emergency and you get the answering machine, please leave a message!

(please call before 9 p.m. New York time unless it's an emergency, in which case I'm available 24/7).

e-mail: sugarglidersuz@yahoo.com

She is a savior when it comes to this stuff

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #519668
04/03/08 10:55 AM
04/03/08 10:55 AM

M
melissa9784
Unregistered
melissa9784
Unregistered
M

Thank you! I called and left and msg and e-mailed too. My babe is crawling around in her bonding pouch.

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #520252
04/04/08 02:11 AM
04/04/08 02:11 AM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
First of all, don't beat yourself up. I also bought on impulse (after grilling the folks for several hours). Unlike you, I didn't find this board until a month later, so you're leaps and bounds ahead of the game!

Keep little Piglet warm, as you're doing, and make sure she doesn't get dehydrated. To help keep her warm, you can wrap her in a bit of fleece and put her down your bra or shirt. Or, just put her in your bra or keep her against your skin. Your body heat will help keep her warm.

For dehydration, try the "tent test." Pinch the skin between the shoulder blades and pull it gently. If it stays tented, she's dehydrated. Especially with diarrhea, she could lose lots of fluid. If she is, you can give her Pedialyte (straight, not diluted). Look for the version for rehydration (Pedialyte RS [rehydration solution]). It’s a little higher in electrolyte content and helps get back to normal more quickly. You can slow the diarrhea by giving 1 or 2 dry oatmeal flakes (not instant).

If she's not eating, you can try offering her BML as a licky treat, along with hand feeding bits of her fruits and veggies.

If you have another cage arrangement, you might want to separate them. And if she doesn't show signs of improvement, I'd take her back to the vet.

Sitting on the cage bottom and having the other glider shun her are not good signs. worried Please keep us posted!

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: KattyM] #520257
04/04/08 03:03 AM
04/04/08 03:03 AM
home
O
ORsuggiemomma Offline
Glider Slave
ORsuggiemomma  Offline
Glider Slave
O

home
oh, I am hoping your baby gets better! sounds like you are wonderful parents for them! hope to hear soon she is doing better!

Wifey to heart Frankstone heart
Mother to~ mloveNathan(5) and mloveDrea(3)
and slave to 4 perfect sugar gliders:glider:
Lightning
Mater
Trinity
Eilonwy
Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #520271
04/04/08 06:49 AM
04/04/08 06:49 AM

M
melissa9784
Unregistered
melissa9784
Unregistered
M

Piglet had a better day yesterday. I was able to get her to eat some yogurt and a little of her BML. She also ate a small piece of apple. She drank water from a syringe and some gliderade. I had her in the pouch all day besides food/water breaks and she seemed to perk up. I put her to bed at midnight and she curled up with her sister. When I woke up at three I knew something was wrong. She was cold and laying flat on the cage floor. She was barely moving and her little fingers were curled tight. I picked her up and tryed to warm her by wrapping her in fleece and putting her against me. I was going to jump in the car and go to the vet but she died a few minutes later. At least I got to hold her and pet her little head and she didn't go alone. I am so upset! I can't believe my little baby is gone cry cry cry cry! It only took five minutes and she left me. Her sister is doing well but I am worried now since we got them from the same place.

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #520304
04/04/08 08:45 AM
04/04/08 08:45 AM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
cry I am sorry to hear about your little baby. You did everything that you could to help her. Please know that even though her life with you was short, she now is at peace filled with the joy of knowing your love.
Many prayers being sent your way.
Godspeed sweet little one....
gangel

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #520309
04/04/08 08:51 AM
04/04/08 08:51 AM

S
super_stooge
Unregistered
super_stooge
Unregistered
S

i am so sorry to hear about your baby. you did everything you could, she couldnt have had a better chance anywhere else. what ever you do dont blame yourself, atleast you made her last few days happy ones. had she still been at (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets she probably would just have died in a trailer sumwhere and been swept up and dropped in the garbage

hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #520460
04/04/08 01:04 PM
04/04/08 01:04 PM

E
EGM
Unregistered
EGM
Unregistered
E

I am so sorry to here that. You did all you could and gave her the love she needed.

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #520756
04/04/08 08:24 PM
04/04/08 08:24 PM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
How sad. cry

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: Judie] #520822
04/04/08 09:34 PM
04/04/08 09:34 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I'm so sorry. hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: sugarlope] #521425
04/05/08 07:00 PM
04/05/08 07:00 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
I'm so sorry hug2

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: BeckiT] #521440
04/05/08 07:23 PM
04/05/08 07:23 PM

Unregistered
Unregistered

UGH! This makes me sick! Another victim of Pocket Pets!! Thank God you decided to come on to Glider Central and do some research! I'm glad the babies are in good hands!!

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #521586
04/05/08 11:04 PM
04/05/08 11:04 PM

A
Airyelle
Unregistered
Airyelle
Unregistered
A

(PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets seems to me like is very illegal what they are doing. That is so sad, I'm sorry for your loss.

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #522133
04/06/08 09:26 PM
04/06/08 09:26 PM

D
dookiesmomma
Unregistered
dookiesmomma
Unregistered
D

Sweety I am so sorry! HUGS!

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #522335
04/07/08 07:35 AM
04/07/08 07:35 AM

M
melissa9784
Unregistered
melissa9784
Unregistered
M

Thank you all. I burried my little girl on Fri. I miss her so much but am thankful I had the time I had with her. I can't believe that she had such a huge impact on me in the week we had her. I will miss her forever.
The good news is my other baby, Pinky is growing and active! She loves her Judie's BML and crawling all over us. My husband and I actually made her a pouch, hammock and trampoline from Suz' webpage (Thank You Suz!!!!).

Re: Hi, I'm new with lots of questions. [Re: ] #524051
04/09/08 01:23 AM
04/09/08 01:23 AM
Columbia, Missouri
kthiessen Offline
Glider Addict
kthiessen  Offline
Glider Addict

Columbia, Missouri
I'm so sorry for your loss. hug2

~ Kathy ~

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024