Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How does dehydration happen? #523680
04/08/08 05:37 PM
04/08/08 05:37 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
How does dehydration happen?

i know how it happens but keep reading ...

I have just been wondering … confused

I understand a water bowl could go dry, and bottle could fail to work … but I see them every day .. .. ok lets say I miss that .. for a few days …

and I am NOT talking about joeys here .. so adults that are eating on their own …

so I feed every night … I do BML, and most diets are more ‘liquid’ … then you add in the fruits and veggies required buy most if not all diets … we are feeding a very liquid diet …

so now can any one explain … how a glider can get truly dehydrated to the point of death .. ? ? ? ?

maybe I should just ask how many days it takes for a glider to go from fine to dangerously dehydrated … ? ? ?

dunno

* ~ * John * ~ * Sorry store is closed at this time.. <br>
Link -> [b]~~ XtremeGlider ~~ Home of the original Re~set Toys! ~~[/b] <br>
Oct 2012 update.. miss my gliders and my
glider family and think of my friends often!!!
Re: How does dehydration happen? [Re: Xglider] #523697
04/08/08 05:52 PM
04/08/08 05:52 PM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Depends... cause is from not enough fluids being consumed. This usually happens when we are sick and do not want to eat or drink. Same with animals.

1) Dehydration can be caused by an illness.

2) Excessive output of urine is another. Also, one will lose fluids from just breathing.

3) Vomiting is another way of loosing fluids.

4) Diarreaha.

5) Excessive Heat.

6) Or, no water period.

I have no idea how long a sugar glider can go without water.

Humans can for for weeks if they have water and no food. However, I think we can only go three to five days without water.

Sugar Gliders though do have a higer metabolic rate than we do so one must take that into consideration.

Last edited by Judie; 04/08/08 05:59 PM.
Re: How does dehydration happen? [Re: Judie] #523720
04/08/08 06:30 PM
04/08/08 06:30 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
Thanks Judie ... that covers the Technicality of it … but really .. how does it happen …

Is this time span .. for a generally well cared for glider … happen in lets say … 9 hours or so … leave for work in the morning and come home to it … ???

Re: How does dehydration happen? [Re: Xglider] #523725
04/08/08 06:37 PM
04/08/08 06:37 PM
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

John, a Healthy sugar glider will not dehydrate in nine hours unless it has been subjected to high temps or is severely sick.

For one thing... feeding the BML diet with fruits and veggies is what I consider a wet diet which does have a lot of moisture in it. Still requires water on the side... but I would think the glider would suffer from constipation first and normaly we would notice the glider having difficulty eleminating.

Re: How does dehydration happen? [Re: Judie] #523735
04/08/08 06:51 PM
04/08/08 06:51 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
Thanks again Judie … I guess I am asking a more philosophical question in a way …

How can some one 'reasonably' responsible glider owner just find a glider so dehydrated that it just dies within hours …

Re: How does dehydration happen? [Re: Xglider] #523746
04/08/08 06:56 PM
04/08/08 06:56 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
The suggie is either sick and the owner didn't know, or the whole story isn't being told. One time, one time only!!! I washed all the water bowls, fed the gliders, then the next day, cooking dinner, I opened the dishwasher and there were the water bowls. My babies were happy to get their water back, but they didn't act like they HAD to have it. No one was dehydrated, I checked. And there were zero issues. I have not made that mistake since, either.

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: How does dehydration happen? [Re: Xglider] #523750
04/08/08 06:58 PM
04/08/08 06:58 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Xglider

How can some one 'reasonably' responsible glider owner just find a glider so dehydrated that it just dies within hours …

The only way I could see this happening to a *responsible* glider owner is if perhaps the glider had an illness that it was masking extremely effectively that the owner did not observe. I know I check on and play with my gliders every day, but sometimes they poop and pee before I take them out for the night, so it's possible that constipation or something of that nature might go unnoticed. I suppose it's possible that you might not notice that the glider is choosing not to drink until it gets really ill; I have heard repeatedly that gliders mask illness really well until they are extremely sick.

Again, this is just what I am guessing based on all that I have read dunno Mine actually drink a pretty impressive amount of water and I have 2 water bottles per cage just in case something odd should happen to one.

Re: How does dehydration happen? [Re: ] #523919
04/08/08 10:20 PM
04/08/08 10:20 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
Opinions .. ? ?

We read so many stories of .. I just got home … my glider is not moving … = … dehydration … so I just don’t understand … the speed … what seems to be a well cared for glider(s) … and then we are reading posts … and within … hours … ???

Again not talking about Joeys here … or noticeable accidents .. or an extended .. EXTENDED time with out water …

I have made my mistakes … due to life I have even missed feeding time … even the night … so life happens … I just guess I am calling in to question some of the sudden-ness of the stories we are reading …

And maybe asking … ‘what can we do?’ …

Re: How does dehydration happen? [Re: Xglider] #523939
04/08/08 10:52 PM
04/08/08 10:52 PM
North Fort Worth - TX
jacknsally Offline
Glider Addict
jacknsally  Offline
Glider Addict

North Fort Worth - TX
I don't believe gliders die overnight from a broken water bottle.

Dehydration happens over a few days timeline. Most gliders don't drink a whole lot of water, most get their liquids from their food source. With the loss of a food source with moisture or not taking in foods, then the start of dehydration will start to set in.

I have some gliders who don't touch their water source but don't suffer from dehydration.

Ρancy
~Always on my mind & in my heart Jack, Sally & Serenity~

Mobmilli's Boutique
Re: How does dehydration happen? [Re: jacknsally] #524030
04/09/08 12:41 AM
04/09/08 12:41 AM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
What Nancy said is right, I do not believe the 'one night without water' deaths either. But, the reason I say this is because I had a glider die of dehydration. I went on a trip, thought a good person was watching him but I was wrong. He ran out of water and lived for 2 1/2 days after that (that is when another friend that had been out of town went over for playtime). He died in her hands.

Having Kira, if you have a glider that has frequent diarrhea, they can go down very quickly and their skin nearly never 'snaps back' from a tent test during that time, so it is not always the best test. If you aren't watching a sick glider closely and you don't know their behaviors well, I think it sneaks up on people. But I still strongly believe that showing initial outward signs of dehydration and death are still a distance apart (time wise). I just don't think everyone out there spends the time to get to know their gliders (as with many animals and their humans). dunno

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: How does dehydration happen? [Re: sugarlope] #524079
04/09/08 05:47 AM
04/09/08 05:47 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
You also have to seriously take into consideration the fact that when a glider gets sick, it will stop eating and drinking normal amounts over a few days prior to become dehydrated. Most people don't really register that their glider hasn't eaten the normal amounts and so they don't pick up on the lack of appetite. Then, suddenly, they find their glider very sick because it can no longer hide the illness. Those are the posts where they come home and "find the glider cold and dehydrated on the floor of the cage". It's very sad, but very true. Having had gliders become very sick myself, I can honestly say that it is sometimes difficult to catch it in the early stages because they are such pros at hiding their illnesses frown
The best thing to do, to "be prepared", is to make sure you always have Pedialyte (apple or unflavored) on hand along with a needleless syringe so that you can force-feed fluids to the glider on the way to the vet if it comes down to finding them dehydrated. Don't hesitate, don't get on the board and ask what to do... just head to the vet's, have someone else drive and force-feed the fluids along the way. I've had to do this a couple of times and the gliders have survived! Why? Because of quick and immediate counteraction!!! Fortunately, in both cases for me, the gliders were not "cold and on the floor", just lethargic and slightly dehydrated. One of them was not even my glider, but that of a friend. I rushed to her house as soon as she called me and while she drove I force-fed the Pedialyte along the hour drive to the vet's, getting the glider to take 4-5 cc's of Pedialyte along the way. Persistence and knowledge were the keys to Scruffy's survival heart

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: How does dehydration happen? [Re: sugarglidersuz] #524118
04/09/08 08:21 AM
04/09/08 08:21 AM
Garland, TX
Mel2mdl Offline
Glider Addict
Mel2mdl  Offline
Glider Addict

Garland, TX
Things do happen. For example, I've been really ill since Thursday. My two cages are getting their food and water, and, unfortunately, not much else. (I've been asleep for four days.) I do a nose count and make sure they can run around. But Saturday was the last playday and carry time.

BUT - if one of them were to get sick along with me, I might not notice right now thru my drugged haze (prescription cough medicine, antibiotics, etc). Then, if they got stuck even one night, or the bottle leaked, or... well, it could happen.

Just saying, bad things happen to good owners.

Molly, son & husband:

Chairman Meow
Oscar & Thomas
Sam, Diego, Delilah, Delia :wfb:
Nevada, Noel
Marcel, Dakota, Latte
Dexter, Didi, Almond, Joy and Fitz
:grey:
Karl,Lenny,Jynxie,Chamille, Kee & Mr. Beans in my heart forever.
Teaching teenagers-part joy, part guerilla warfare! :rbridge:
Re: How does dehydration happen? [Re: Mel2mdl] #524166
04/09/08 09:50 AM
04/09/08 09:50 AM
North Fort Worth - TX
jacknsally Offline
Glider Addict
jacknsally  Offline
Glider Addict

North Fort Worth - TX
Dehydration is a symptom of something else going on - put the illness and dehydration together without treatment the result is death.

Gliders do not die of dehydration- dehydration is just a result of what caused them to become dehydrated. If they've been left without food & water for days then it's starvation.

I've only dealt with dehydration with 2 gliders- one had an illenss and the other was hiding one. Both always had a water source available- it was the illness that caused dehydration.

Ρancy
~Always on my mind & in my heart Jack, Sally & Serenity~

Mobmilli's Boutique
Re: How does dehydration happen? [Re: jacknsally] #524586
04/09/08 06:03 PM
04/09/08 06:03 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
Quote:
I don't believe gliders die overnight from a broken water bottle.

That is my point right there .. thank you…

Quote:
What Nancy said is right, I do not believe the 'one night without water' deaths either. But, the reason I say this is because I had a glider die of dehydration. I went on a trip, thought a good person was watching him but I was wrong. He ran out of water and lived for 2 1/2 days after that (that is when another friend that had been out of town went over for playtime). He died in her hands.

Gretchen – so sorry to hear about your loss

Quote:
You also have to seriously take into consideration the fact that when a glider gets sick, it will stop eating and drinking normal amounts over a few days prior to become dehydrated. Most people don't really register that their glider hasn't eaten the normal amounts and so they don't pick up on the lack of appetite.

Suz … I get that … but shouldn’t we notice it .. I know when my other pets .. dogs / cats .. have not eaten for a night … one night I can tell …

That is my point .. it should not be an OMG my glider is dehydrated … and then the thread is moved to Rainbow Memorials

Quote:
Dehydration is a symptom of something else going on - put the illness and dehydration together without treatment the result is death.

Gliders do not die of dehydration- dehydration is just a result of what caused them to become dehydrated. If they've been left without food & water for days then it's starvation.

I've only dealt with dehydration with 2 gliders- one had an illenss and the other was hiding one. Both always had a water source available- it was the illness that caused dehydration.

Again .. my point ..

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,569 TEXAS
679,073 OHIO
487,151 OKLAHOMA
432,154 UTAH
321,673 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024