Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help! I don't think Duke & Lilly like eachother! #529466
04/15/08 08:30 PM
04/15/08 08:30 PM

O
outnumbered421
Unregistered
outnumbered421
Unregistered
O

Help! I don't think Lilly and Duke are getting along! I have had Lilly since October, she is bonded very well. I got Duke in February and had him neutered about 3 weeks ago. I had Duke in a seperate room for 30 days, then I moved his cage into the same room as Lilly's. After a week or so I moved their cages next to eachother...they began to smell eachother and play in their own cages...I was thinking...great, they are going to love eachother! I got Duke neutered, kept him in his cage for a few more days and then started swapping pouches, toys, and letting them play in the morning while I was getting ready, short amounts of time while I could watch. I had done the bath tub time and it went well. They seemed to play but also wrestle, with tisking and rolling around. After several days of this it seemed to get better, I would back off for a few days, then try again. I finlly put them together for the long haul about a week ago. They seemed to be doing well. I have had their cage in my room so that I can hear them and make sure all is well. Until last night everything has been fine, but last night they faught like cats and dogs. I kept getting up to make sure they were ok, checking their little bodies to make sure no one had any battle wounds. There were none but I continued to listen and worry. They not only tisked a lot but also made some other noise...any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Re: Help! I don't think Duke & Lilly like eachother! [Re: ] #529470
04/15/08 08:35 PM
04/15/08 08:35 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
is it possible she's in heat? with only being neutered 3 weeks, the hormones may not be completely out of his system yet, and if she is in heat, he could be trying to get frisky with her.. also, do you have more than one pouch/sleeping place in there for them?

Re: Help! I don't think Duke & Lilly like eachoth [Re: ] #529472
04/15/08 08:37 PM
04/15/08 08:37 PM

M
Melissa2721
Unregistered
Melissa2721
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: outnumbered421
They seemed to play but also wrestle, with tisking and rolling around.

Rolling around is not a good sign worried
If they continue to roll around and fight they would need to be separated.
Don't worry too much though, sometimes it takes a few tries wink

Re: Help! I don't think Duke & Lilly like eachoth [Re: ] #529474
04/15/08 08:43 PM

O
outnumbered421
Unregistered
outnumbered421
Unregistered
O

I only had one pouch in there for them. I will put in another one tonight. That is when they were tisking and making some other weird noise...when they were in the pouch. I would get up to check on them and they would be in the pouch. They do not roll around on the floor of the cage anymore that I see. No one has any owies....yet..I am just a worrier. Lilly had a loose stool today and pooped on me...she never poops on me, she also crabbed at me once while she was in her pouch...she never crabs at me, ever...I think I could do anything to her and she would not crab so it has me worried.

Re: Help! I don't think Duke & Lilly like eachoth [Re: ] #529475

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

Wait, what do you mean by "fighting like cats and dogs"?

If mine were still rolling around, ditto what Melissa said, I'd separate them.

If the female is just being noisy, I wouldn't be too worried; like Becki said, my girl also does that when she's in heat.

Re: Help! I don't think Duke & Lilly like eachoth [Re: ] #529479
04/15/08 08:48 PM
04/15/08 08:48 PM

O
outnumbered421
Unregistered
outnumbered421
Unregistered
O

By fighting like cats and dogs all I meant was that they faught more than ever last night. They faught off and on for over an hour. Like I said they did not get any wounds, I continued to check on them. I am just not sure what is normal...

Re: Help! I don't think Duke & Lilly like eachoth [Re: ] #529493
04/15/08 09:05 PM
04/15/08 09:05 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
When you say fight...is it just chasing each other tsking....or is it rolling around?? Upon Talking in length with Dr.Tristan today and this came up, he said we really dont have to worry as much as we do even when they roll in a ball. But to watch them. Normally after a minute in a ball one will become submissive and normally that is what it is all about. Dominance. If any wounds are seen on either glider, you seperate them. You state there are no wounds of any kind correct? Just a lot of yelling at one another...kind of get out of my face, I dont know who you are yet and not sure I like you in my territory, noises?

Honestly, that is actually normal. Even some of the pairs I have had together for years still do that. Pepper and Bear, my oldest/first pair, will still sleep in seperate pouches every now and then.

You tell Duke I said he was ALWAYS the quiet laid back one...he isnt allowed to change that now....I WILL make a trip up there and tickle him till he pees himself with a feather if he doesnt stop acting like a bully. That is NOT how he was raised!! grin

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Help! I don't think Duke & Lilly like eachoth [Re: Srlb] #529501
04/15/08 09:11 PM
04/15/08 09:11 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

My first two joeys used to roll around but I could tell they weren't really hurting eachother. They were just establishing dominance. They eventually ended up living together just fine.

When we brought in Zoey...you could tell they were trying to KILL her. They'd ball up and BITE AND BITE and if you stuck your hand in there I could feel them biting through the gloves...it was AWFUL. You could tell they were out to kill.

The first situation...making some noise...some chasing...maybe even a little balling up if it doesn't look too serious...is somewhat normal, but watch with caution if they are balling up.

If they are rolling together in a ball and look like they are really trying to hurt eachother, if you see any wounds, or if one really looks like they are trying to bite the snot out of another one and is REALLY going after them and won't leave them alone, that is the time to separate.

I hope this helps dunno You still didn't really describe exactly what it was they were doing (fighting can be on many different levels!) so I can't really give you exact advice.

Re: Help! I don't think Duke & Lilly like eachoth [Re: ] #529510
04/15/08 09:20 PM
04/15/08 09:20 PM

O
outnumbered421
Unregistered
outnumbered421
Unregistered
O

Peggy...You are funny! My husband said "it's that little one that is causing all the fights!" Actually Duke and Lilly are the same size! They do not do much rolling around anymore, you can tell when they do that it is more of a "hey..I am in charge here, or hey these are my toys!" The past few nights he has been kind of grabbing on to her and just hanging on and she drags him around. Then last night it was all in the pouch, all this tisking and then this sort of moaning noise...that is what really scared me and that it lasted so long, off and on. I did keep getting them both out and checking them over, no wounds on either of them. I also checked them both over this morning and they are both in good health, not a scratch on them anywhere.

I am going to tell Duke tonight that Grandma called and said he better straighten up, he knows better, and that if he doesn't she is going to come up here and tickle him until he pees himself! roflmao

Re: Help! I don't think Duke & Lilly like eachoth [Re: ] #529520
04/15/08 09:27 PM
04/15/08 09:27 PM

O
outnumbered421
Unregistered
outnumbered421
Unregistered
O

7glider7, Thank you! Yes, that helped! No, mine are not biting like that! I can seperate them easily, they have not hurt eachother, and when they are rolling around it is not for long, it sounds like it is more of a "I am the boss or no this is mine" type of battle. He is hanging onto her, and she is draging him around, not sure what that is about. I know nothing about her cycles, I have not had her long enough to figure that out, and never put Lilly and Duke together before he was neutered so I never worried about it. The thing that bothered me the most was the crying or moaning noise.

Re: Help! I don't think Duke & Lilly like eachoth [Re: ] #529555
04/15/08 10:03 PM
04/15/08 10:03 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

I haven't seen my gliders doing the hanky panky very often as both my males are neutered, but with the male grasping the female like that and the moaning noise almost sounds like they are mating? dunno the male typically will mount the female and kind of grab ahold of her shoulders with his teeth when they are mating to hold her in place. Does this sound like what you are seeing?

Something similar to this is actually why Kirby and Tanooki didn't get along that well at first...he was always trying to mount her and she would always get extremely irritated. Perhaps that is what's going on with yours too.

The part that concerns me the most is that you're saying he's grabbing on to her...I'm assuming you mean with paws? If so, he also could be trying to just establish dominance or "ride her" like she's a mommy. If the grabbing is going on with TEETH, I'd be much more concerned. While it's normal for the male to use the teeth here when mating, it sounds like this could be stressing her out and he might be being too rough.

So...teeth or paws with the grabbing? How old are they? And is Duke neutered?

Re: Help! I don't think Duke & Lilly like eachoth [Re: ] #529787
04/16/08 09:30 AM
04/16/08 09:30 AM

O
outnumbered421
Unregistered
outnumbered421
Unregistered
O

Yes, Duke is neutered. I did not introduce them until he had recovered from surgery. I had put their cages side by side before then and swapped pouches but that is all. He grabs on her with his front hands around her mid section. It does not look like he is trying to mount her but like he is trying to hold her down. The tising and growling/moaning is going on in the pouch most of the time. Last night I put another pouch in the cage, a bakset type pouch and a coco peep with a blankie in it so that there are several places to sleep. I still heard tisking last night, loud enough to wake me up, but not near as much as the night before!

Re: Help! I don't think Duke & Lilly like eachoth [Re: ] #529919
04/16/08 01:43 PM
04/16/08 01:43 PM

B
buttercup
Unregistered
buttercup
Unregistered
B

I know how you feel..my new guys do this nightly! No physical fighting but they crab at each other when they are in their pouch. I put the other pouch in there...they are still in one pouch together right now. And these boys have been together 2 years from what the former owner told me. So, I'm guessing, in my case, that it's like 2 kids sharing a bed and one is hogging the covers and making the other one mad lol..Like if one moves around, the other gets mad and the crabbing starts. When they are out of the pouch..no probs..they get along just fine.

I'd add another pouch...maybe Lilly just doesn't want to share the bed at this point.

Re: Help! I don't think Duke & Lilly like eachoth [Re: ] #529949
04/16/08 02:11 PM
04/16/08 02:11 PM

M
Melissa2721
Unregistered
Melissa2721
Unregistered
M

The past few nights he has been kind of grabbing on to her and just hanging on and she drags him around. Then last night it was all in the pouch, all this tisking and then this sort of moaning noise

Herbie (formally known as Darian)did the same thing at first, just sort of feeling my three out. After a few nights it stopped and they have all been good ever since thumb

Re: Help! I don't think Duke & Lilly like eachoth [Re: ] #530728
04/17/08 03:37 PM
04/17/08 03:37 PM

C
cinnamon_sweets
Unregistered
cinnamon_sweets
Unregistered
C

I had done the bath tub time and it went well.

What's bath tub time?

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024