Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Ladymagyver. 03/28/24 09:57 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pros and Cons of Breeding #543331
05/04/08 06:33 PM
05/04/08 06:33 PM

L
LyricsMami
Unregistered
LyricsMami
Unregistered
L

...a breeder that is? What are the pros and cons about it?

Last edited by sugarlope; 09/19/08 06:06 PM. Reason: edited title ~sugarlope
Re: how do you like it... [Re: ] #543346
05/04/08 06:57 PM
05/04/08 06:57 PM

L
Laura_Leigh
Unregistered
Laura_Leigh
Unregistered
L

I'm assume you mean being a breeder?????

I've seen both the good side and bad side of being a breeder.

#1 con.... cannibalized joeys.... there is nothing worse in this world (the glider world that is) than walking in after a hard day at work, and finding a half eaten joey in the bottom of the cage.

#2 con.... hand feeding joeys.... you have to be prepared to hand feed a joey from the day they come OOP.... this can mean feeding the joey every 2 hours every day. this means no sleep, and you have to hope your employer will understand that you have to take breaks every couple of hours to feed the "rat" in your bra... Mine doesn't, so I have to hide it when I'm feeding or supplementing joey(s). If you are having to supplement the joey(s), this means you not only have to take the joey(s) to work with you, but the parents as well.

#3 con.... personality changes in the parents.... many gliders personalities will change while they have joeys either IP or OOP... I have one pair that I cannot handle at all when they have joeys nursing... they get aggressive with even me, but when there are no joeys involved, they are the sweetest things ever...

#4 con.... finding homes for your joeys.... this is one of the biggest ones for me. You have to screen prospective homes for your joeys. Gut instinct is your best friend in these cases... but what if you can't find a good home for your joeys? Are you prepared to provide a home for all of them?

this covers everything I can think of right now... but I may be back with more later, lol

Re: how do you like it... [Re: ] #543384
05/04/08 08:34 PM
05/04/08 08:34 PM
Parsons, Kansas
dranger1108 Offline
Glider Addict
dranger1108  Offline
Glider Addict

Parsons, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Laura_Leigh
I'm assume you mean being a breeder?????

I've seen both the good side and bad side of being a breeder.

#1 con.... cannibalized joeys.... there is nothing worse in this world (the glider world that is) than walking in after a hard day at work, and finding a half eaten joey in the bottom of the cage.

#2 con.... hand feeding joeys.... you have to be prepared to hand feed a joey from the day they come OOP.... this can mean feeding the joey every 2 hours every day. this means no sleep, and you have to hope your employer will understand that you have to take breaks every couple of hours to feed the "rat" in your bra... Mine doesn't, so I have to hide it when I'm feeding or supplementing joey(s). If you are having to supplement the joey(s), this means you not only have to take the joey(s) to work with you, but the parents as well.

#3 con.... personality changes in the parents.... many gliders personalities will change while they have joeys either IP or OOP... I have one pair that I cannot handle at all when they have joeys nursing... they get aggressive with even me, but when there are no joeys involved, they are the sweetest things ever...

#4 con.... finding homes for your joeys.... this is one of the biggest ones for me. You have to screen prospective homes for your joeys. Gut instinct is your best friend in these cases... but what if you can't find a good home for your joeys? Are you prepared to provide a home for all of them?

this covers everything I can think of right now... but I may be back with more later, lol

#5 con.... being a money pit. about $3-4 thousand in the hole money wise.

#6 positive... getting to spend everyday playing with and socializing with joeys and gliders.

#7 con... scrubing cages, laundry and changing litter and the dishes everyday.

:grey: Michelle's Sugar Glider Babies & Toys :wfb:
USDA licensed breeder
http://www.freewebs.com/michellesugarbabytoys/index.htm
Neat glider themed products!
:glider: http://www.zazzle.com/dranger1108/products :glider:
Re: how do you like it... [Re: dranger1108] #543655
05/05/08 08:45 AM
05/05/08 08:45 AM

L
LyricsMami
Unregistered
LyricsMami
Unregistered
L

anyone else want to share their experiences as a breeder? I was thinking about possibly becoming a breeder and wanted everyones opinion...

Re: how do you like it... [Re: ] #543680
05/05/08 09:41 AM
05/05/08 09:41 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Breeding is definitely not for everybody.. The cons outweigh the pros 99% of the time. That being said, I wouldn't give it up for anything wink

Cons:
  • cannibalism
  • mating wounds
  • rejected joeys
  • increased costs of feeding, vet care, laundry, pouches, etc
  • finding the perfect home
  • extra cage(s) if you haven't found a joey in time before needing to be separated from it's parents, or in the case of deciding you can't part with him/her
  • reading, researching and learning and still feeling like you know nothing once they are about ready to come OOP
  • the people who insist you charge too much because they can get a glider from a pet store/trade show so much cheaper

Pros:
  • little bundles of fur ready to wrap you around their little tails
  • finding the perfect home
  • being able to watch the joey grow and learn and helping that baby be as sweet as possible for his/her new slave

Re: how do you like it... [Re: BeckiT] #543725
05/05/08 10:46 AM
05/05/08 10:46 AM

L
LyricsMami
Unregistered
LyricsMami
Unregistered
L

wow there does seem to be alot of cons...any more pro's??

Re: how do you like it... [Re: ] #543734
05/05/08 10:50 AM
05/05/08 10:50 AM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Hmmm- I think I'm pretty much right there with Becki's list.

I've only had the one joey so far - but she did have twins IP previously that she pulled, and that was heart-breaking.

I'm keeping Abigail - who was 9 weeks OOP yesterday. I'm at the "have to put her in a separate cage" stage. And ... who is going to be her cage mate??!!

I agree - there are more cons than pros. I've been really riding the fence about getting Linus neutered, but I'm pretty sure I'm headed that direction soon.

I couldn't even begin to face finding a new home for Abigail! I did sort of vaguely play around with the idea - but I think I'm not cut out for this!!

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: how do you like it... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #543750
05/05/08 11:15 AM
05/05/08 11:15 AM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
One "pro" that I can add to the list:

* You make new friends if your babies are adopted out to the RIGHT PERSON. My joeys have been the beginnings of AT LEAST 6 new friendships (who know people who know more people, and the circle just keeps growing! I'm strictly counting the joeys themselves...I don't want anybody's fur to get ruffled at me for counting "too low" roflmao )

And there has to be another "con":

* After you spend 8 weeks+ of getting this little sweetie socialized, letting him/her go to their new home is always heart-wrenching. Even though I know they're going to a GREAT HOME and they'll be loved as much as I love them myself mlove , there's always a tear shed as I leave them. Even after 15 adoptions, I still do it....and I'm afraid I always will.

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: how do you like it... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #543756
05/05/08 11:24 AM
05/05/08 11:24 AM

G
GizmosGal
Unregistered
GizmosGal
Unregistered
G

There are more cons than pros. My biggest con is paperwork! I can't get over the amount of paperwork. You have to document everything for the USDA. Plus, years after selling a joey, you will be contacted by people who bought one of your babies from someone else and want to know lineage, oop date, etc. The worse part of that is when the new parent tells you what kind of condition they got your baby in. (small cage, bad diet, not handled, etc,) You thought that you had found the perfect home, but people will lie to you to get your babies. It is heartbreaking to find a baby you raised has died, treated poorly or ended up in rescue.

Plus, you need to keep track of every single expense and every penny coming in for income tax purposes. Then having to pay a large % of taxes on the income of every joey sold. (Make sure you put away 25%-30% of the money you get for each joey, as you will have to send it to the IRS in April of each year.)

When joeys go home, it is so bittersweet. You are so sad over losing them, yet there is nothing like seeing the joy on their new person's face and knowing you helped put it there. I brought a baby to meet his new mommy yesterday and her face lit up when she met him. He climbed up onto her head and fell asleep. I knew they were a perfect match and was so happy for both of them, but left them with an ache in my heart and miss him dearly.

Re: how do you like it... [Re: ] #544453
05/06/08 09:06 AM
05/06/08 09:06 AM

P
peace
Unregistered
peace
Unregistered
P

cannibalism just breaks your heart
mating wounds they can get VERY bad
rejected joeys
finding the perfect home

Re: how do you like it... [Re: ] #544455
05/06/08 09:08 AM
05/06/08 09:08 AM

P
peace
Unregistered
peace
Unregistered
P

btw i do not breed but have rescued over 50 gliders.

Re: how do you like it... [Re: ] #544463
05/06/08 09:14 AM
05/06/08 09:14 AM

L
LyricsMami
Unregistered
LyricsMami
Unregistered
L

Originally Posted By: peace
btw i do not breed but have rescued over 50 gliders.

you are what i call an ANGEL amongst our gliders in need hug2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 561 guests, and 91 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,161
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,663 TEXAS
679,109 OHIO
487,237 OKLAHOMA
432,241 UTAH
321,761 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024