Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Diet for frequent travelers... #570839
06/15/08 11:49 PM
06/15/08 11:49 PM

K
Kay33
Unregistered
Kay33
Unregistered
K

Okay, so my babies and I are doing a lot of traveling this summer, and frozen mixed foods have just become completely unmanageable, so I've started improvising (I know, that's a potentially negative word in the world of picky little suggies), but something must be right, because there've been awesome changes in them lately smile I'm writing this to tell basically how I've handled their diet on a traveling basis, and to ask if anyone has any suggestions on essentials I might be leaving out, or just good foods to add.

First off, if you've never given your babies Beechnut (brand) butternut squash, you should try it.. they LOVE it. For veggies, I've been feeding that and/or sweet potatoes (baby food, they don't like the fresh ones as much)... checking the ingredients to make sure there's never anything besides water and/or Vitamin C added. They've been getting fresh fruit, usually watermelon, cantelope, apple, etc. Sometimes I'll add in some mango or hawaiian delight baby food to mix things up even more. To make sure I keep up with calcium demands, I'm feeding applesauce with calcium added (from the little cups, so it's easier to travel with... all of these things are easy to travel with, really). And for protein, they're mainly getting cicadas, which I've mentioned before that I recently started giving them, and they've taken to like candy.

I haven't gotten the portions solidified yet, so I'm keeping an eye on their weights, but so far there's been very little change in that. However, other changes are pretty drastic. They have a lot more energy, their coats are shinier, they're appetites have grown like crazy (they had become pretty poor eaters before all my traveling began, and I'm wondering if they were just tired of BML)...

But yeah, so cicadas (they're gonna be sooo mad when they're gone, although I hear you can order them maybe?), fresh or baby food fruit, mostly baby food veggies, applesauce with calcium, cherry tomatoes, and sometimes a little applejuice in their water. They also get munchy treats, some specifically made for sugar gliders, sometimes just bread or cereal to munch on, or some monkey biscuits when they're in the pouch or carrier... They're totally thriving... Can anyone see an essential vitamin I might be missing, or have any suggestions on easy travel additions I might be able to add?

Ah, final note: After summer they are (whether they like it or not) going to go back to a more measured and certain mixed diet... But for anyone who is traveling for a weekend or week at a time, I would completely recommend the above foods, etc., for their babies... I realize cicadas aren't easy for everyone to get ahold of, so if you use this, try and make sure you substitute for the lack of protein...

Thanks! Sorry it's so long-winded.

Last edited by KattyM; 06/16/08 12:43 AM. Reason: removed language per rule 4
Re: Diet for frequent travelers... [Re: ] #570846
06/16/08 12:06 AM
06/16/08 12:06 AM
u.s.a.
the gliders angel Offline
Glider Addict
the gliders angel  Offline
Glider Addict

u.s.a.
i would add a little protein besides the bugs chicken baby food with a little wombaroo high protein supplement or yogurt would be good. i would feed a half tsp of yogurt every other day and thats enough calcium if you hand feed each one a half tsp every other day,. i do this at home for yrs as my calcium supplement

Re: Diet for frequent travelers... [Re: the gliders angel] #570865
06/16/08 01:04 AM
06/16/08 01:04 AM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
If you travel a lot, you might want to look into the SunCoast diet. The ZooKeeper's Secret is a dry staple offered with other foods (a lot of "bugs"). It offers more variety than the BML and travels well.

There are so many variables to be considered in their diets, including the overall Ca:P ratio of roughly 2:1 (e.g., vitamin C inhibits calcium absorption and can contribute to diarrhea, too much iron can lead to hemochromatosis). It's just too much for me to try and calculate. That's why I prefer relying on a "tried and true" plan. tounge Here's a thread discussing some of what goes into planning a balanced diet: Diet doubts.

Good luck, and enjoy your summer travels!

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: Diet for frequent travelers... [Re: KattyM] #570940
06/16/08 08:56 AM
06/16/08 08:56 AM

L
Leyna
Unregistered
Leyna
Unregistered
L

Actually, I think ZooKeepers is supposed to be refrigerated...

I would suggest Darcy's diet for somebody that travels a lot. It uses ensure as a staple, which can be bought in 8 ounce bottles and mixed on the go. It requires fruits and veggies, which you can get pretty much anywhere smile That's actually what originally got me started on Darcy's, I needed a diet that traveled well when my parents had split custody and I was traveling back and forth from house to house.

Re: Diet for frequent travelers... [Re: ] #571162
06/16/08 03:39 PM
06/16/08 03:39 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
I travel all the time and the Priscilla Price diet has been wonderful for me, just break a piece off add viamins and its ready smile (As long as you have a freezer) It sounds A LOT easier than all you are doing dunno

The only downfall I have had with it traveling was my dad threw out like a 3 month supply of PP vitamins I had put in the fridge once and their food when we were packin to head home. shakehead

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Diet for frequent travelers... [Re: SugareeErin] #571308
06/16/08 07:10 PM
06/16/08 07:10 PM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
According to their site, no refrigeration or freezing is needed for the ZooKeeper's, as long as it's used within four months. It wouldn't hurt to refrigerate it, but it doesn't need to be. Even with some sort of refrigeration (where an ice pack or dry ice in a cooler might work), it travels much better than BML! tounge

Re: Diet for frequent travelers... [Re: KattyM] #571498
06/16/08 10:19 PM
06/16/08 10:19 PM

K
Kay33
Unregistered
Kay33
Unregistered
K

Thanks for all the responses! They've definitely been helpful smile

I'm not overly concerned with the Ca:P ratio for the moment, since I know that pretty soon I'll be introducing them into a regular, portioned diet again (when archaeology season finally comes to an end and we go back to school). But, I think I def. need to up the amount of calcium they're getting (the yogurt is a great idea, and sounds like fun bonding time).

I'm trying to avoid anything that has to be frozen, but thanks for mentioning those alternative diets... I'll look into them when I'm deciding what diet to start them on regularly in August.

I've been so excited about the cicadas (as you've all probably noticed, haha), but today at work I was so disappointed! I guess the cicadas have mated or laid their eggs or whatever, because (totally creepy) the majority of them are half-empty... as in, the contents of their abdomens are hollow, and you can see right in! The cicadas themselves don't seem to be bothered... they're still flying around (albeit a bit crookedly) and they still go crazy and sometimes hiss when you grab them... as though they aren't the least bit concerned that half of their innards are mysteriously missing, haha.... but yeah, that little bit of cicada lifecycle just to say that I'm sad that the cicada season is apparently coming to an end (sad for the suggies), 'cause I'm not gonna feed the half-empty bugs, it just seems weird. Any other suggestions for protein supplement? I don't mind the chicken baby food, except I know there's a lot of gravy in those... Maybe just good ole' fashioned fried chicken? The chicken on the inside of course, not the outside fried part or skin, lol.

Re: Diet for frequent travelers... [Re: ] #571551
06/16/08 11:13 PM
06/16/08 11:13 PM

L
lacunae
Unregistered
lacunae
Unregistered
L

id think baked chicken instead of fried, they sell them in the grocery stores..only because fried still contains a lot of oil. tounge

Re: Diet for frequent travelers... [Re: ] #571579
06/16/08 11:35 PM
06/16/08 11:35 PM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
I would recommend broiled or baked (no seasonings). The fried still might have spices oozed in beneath the skin, and of course, it's super greasy.

Interesting about the cicadas.

Re: Diet for frequent travelers... [Re: ] #571581
06/16/08 11:41 PM
06/16/08 11:41 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
The fried would probably contain seasoning as well, including onion which is toxic to gliders. I'd check out the deli section for chicken slices. I cannot remember the name brand to save my life but there is a brand of deli chicken that has no preservatives, no seasonings, no sugar, etc. Just plain ole chicken breast. After our house caught fire, all we had for a while was a mini fridge. I used the baby foods you mentioned (except the Hawaiian Delight because it has sugar in it), mealies and the packaged deli chicken. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of it but maybe someone here will know. Or, you seem pretty good at reading labels, so you might be able to find it yourself. I got mine at Walmart.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Diet for frequent travelers... [Re: suggiemom1980] #578357
06/28/08 11:35 AM
06/28/08 11:35 AM

K
Kay33
Unregistered
Kay33
Unregistered
K

My gliders also love the inside sections of the baked chicken from the grocery store. I never give them the skin, even if there's not seasoning, because you just never know...

Apparently the cicadas number one natural enemy is a strange fungus, which only affects the periodical cicadas that emerge every 13 years. It infects them from the back (it's kinda like the STD of cicadas) and eventually causes their hind part to fall off, which spreads the spores, which wait on the ground for THIRTEEN YEARS until the new cicada nymphs emerge, and then the mating begins. Quite interesting little critters. Didn't give mine any without abdomens. The season is pretty much over here. They're sad, but I'm in the process of introducing new fruits, so they're staying entertained.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 430 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,581 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,162 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,691 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024