Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Defective Gliders? Not "Flying" #579789
06/30/08 11:51 AM
06/30/08 11:51 AM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
(long explanation, short question roflmao )
Sugar & Nibbles are rescues, and I've had them about 4 months now. They have a castle that is big enough to glide in, I made it, and it is 6' by 5' by 3'. When I first got them, they were in a very small bird cage, and before that Sugar was in a shoe box mad

The "interim" mommy used to let them out in her bathroom at night (she didn't have them that long) and said they used to glide all the time. Well, we did that at first, we also do lots of tent time (a Genji, couln't live without it!) and they even have full house time sometimes. Here's the thing... they are GREAT hoppers and GREAT jumpers. They love it. Sometimes at night you here them SLAM onto the floor of the cage, and then go up and do it again! But... no gliding!

They don't know how to glide!!!!! The previous person just didn't know the difference? They don't even stretch out their potagium.

Is this normal since they had such a sheltered life? How can I teach them to "fly" safely? Is it too late? Will they be "defective"? (Of course, I LOVE them anyway!) grin

Have you experienced this before? Is there an older thread I can read? THANK YOU FOR READING! Any answers will be helpful. agree

*Whatever I said, I said it with a Smile*

wave Sari

:grey:Sugar:grey:Nibbles:grey:Destiny

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Suggie Smart Mart *Home of The Hippie Pouch & Suggie Chandelier
Re: Defective Gliders? Not "Flying" [Re: SariYappa] #579800
06/30/08 12:00 PM
06/30/08 12:00 PM

C
cntrychck18
Unregistered
cntrychck18
Unregistered
C

My rescues won't glider either =(
I think it may have something to do with not really having done it before and not knowing what their potagium is really for. But I am no expert- that is just what I am guessing.

Actually the only time they have was for a face hug. <3 Lola

Re: Defective Gliders? Not "Flying" [Re: SariYappa] #579806
06/30/08 12:05 PM
06/30/08 12:05 PM

L
ltlrdangel
Unregistered
ltlrdangel
Unregistered
L

They aren't defective. I think some gliders don't glide because they don't want to or until you teach them. I believe there was an older thread about this, but I don't know how to find it. My females are more adventurous than my males. My girls will climb the curtains or door facings to get to the highest point and then glide down to me, most of the time landing on my face (ouch!). My males won't do that. I haven't spent a lot of time trying to get them to do this since most of our time is spent in the tent.
I am sure someone with more experience than me can answer your question better than I can, but I know they aren't defective and i don't think it is too late either.

Re: Defective Gliders? Not "Flying" [Re: ] #579826
06/30/08 12:23 PM
06/30/08 12:23 PM

T
texasglider
Unregistered
texasglider
Unregistered
T

my baby learned to glide by herself kind of , i would hold her up next to my bead as high as i could reach and she would jump then she would let out her "wings" and started gliding soon after

Re: Defective Gliders? Not "Flying" [Re: ] #579829
06/30/08 12:24 PM
06/30/08 12:24 PM

K
Kaczie
Unregistered
Kaczie
Unregistered
K

Kaiden often jumps to things, smacking into them, instead of gliding. I've never seen him actually stretch out his patagium while he was jumping. I have noticed though that he occasionally overshoots his target. Not sure if this has to do with him not gliding instead.

On the other hand, Hayden always stretches out his patagium no matter how short or long the distance. I can have my hand right next to the cage for him to step on to but he will jump, throw his little arms and feet out and then when he gets close to his target he waves his arms and legs all around. He always makes his target but a bit clumsily.

I think it just depends on the glider and what they feel comfortable with.

Re: Defective Gliders? Not "Flying" [Re: ] #579836
06/30/08 12:28 PM
06/30/08 12:28 PM
Ft. Pierce, FL
thefotokat Offline
Glider Slave
thefotokat  Offline
Glider Slave

Ft. Pierce, FL
I have a lot of "ground gliders". They just prefer to walk or climb where they want to go. My younger gliders are more likely to glide. As they get older, they tend to stick more to keeping all feet on the ground. Some will stretch as far as they can just to avoid gliding.

Re: Defective Gliders? Not "Flying" [Re: thefotokat] #579889
06/30/08 01:15 PM
06/30/08 01:15 PM

B
Brittney
Unregistered
Brittney
Unregistered
B

I wouldn't rule it out yet - they might just be waiting until you're not looking! Bourbon says there's no such thing as a glider that can't glide. I used to think "Well, yeah, every glider but mine" as I have a "special" girl. My Kaya got sick when she was just 4 or so months old. Came home and found her kind of twitchy and uncoordinated. Took her to the vet, got her back to healthy, but she's still got neurological issues because of it all. All the lights are on upstairs, she's just a little wobbly lol. Anyway, I always assumed she couldn't jump let alone glide as she usually can't stabilize herself in one spot for long even though it's been a year since she got sick. One morning I got up earlier than usual and was just sitting on the couch in the dark in silence slowly waking up (I rise without shine wink ). I saw something going crazy in their cage so I watched. Kaya was twitching her way up to the top of the cage, pausing, and purposly jumping down to the "safety net" fleece bottom, legs spread wide as she did. Then she'd do it again. I was SO SO happy! I'd never seen her do that before. I always watch her to make sure her struggles don't outweigh her capacity to live happily, and I worry. Now I know she's better off than I thought, she just didn't do anything impressive in front of me b/c she wants me to keep babying her smile .

I recommend coaxing them to glide - this is how Carmella started being brave enough to go distances farther than a foot. Put one on the top of an open door and encourage them to jump down to you. Could also use a clean turned off ceiling fan. Takes FOREVER the first couple times but once they do it a couple times they usually get the gist. If you stand right under, arms stretched toward them and kind of wiggle your fingers it helps. It's never too late. Bourbon proved me wrong and maybe she will you as well. ALL GLIDERS CAN GLIDE! HTH wink

Re: Defective Gliders? Not "Flying" [Re: ] #579896
06/30/08 01:27 PM
06/30/08 01:27 PM
Tucson, AZ
hipbchik Offline
Glider Slave
hipbchik  Offline
Glider Slave

Tucson, AZ
Brittney, that's such an AWESOME story clap !! I got goosebumps reading it! Thank you for sharing that.

peace~carolyn

"Your mind is the birthplace of ingenuity and then you need your heart as the Mediator..." ~Lil C
Re: Defective Gliders? Not "Flying" [Re: hipbchik] #579938
06/30/08 02:25 PM
06/30/08 02:25 PM

T
TWilson
Unregistered
TWilson
Unregistered
T

My Willy (he was a gift from ckb) can glide like no other. He glides any chance he gets, he loves it. He will glide even if it is only a quick one foot jump. But his all time favorite is to climb up the door frame, get to the top and glide all the way across the room. I'm telling you, Batman has nothing on this little man, he is amazing.

I didn't teach him that, maybe Cyndie did or he just has the heart of the ultimate glider.

BTW, my others are very jealous of his ability.

Re: Defective Gliders? Not "Flying" [Re: ] #580336
07/01/08 11:43 AM
07/01/08 11:43 AM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
Originally Posted By: cntrychck18
My rescues won't glider either =(
Actually the only time they have was for a face hug. <3 Lola

LOL. I get face hugs all the time during tent time, but it's a "hop" or a "jump" that gets them there! But now that I think about it, I guess they do stretch out that Potagium for the hugs, huh?

Originally Posted By: ltlrdangel
They aren't defective... but I know they aren't defective and i don't think it is too late either.

Thanks for the quick reply in making me feel better!

Brittney, What a Story! I LOVE it! YEAH for your little girl dance
thanks for the instructions. We will be practicing, and let you know how things go! It'll take some time, I'm sure, but I can't wait! I think once they do get the hang of it (if they do), then THEY will love it too! Can't wait...

Thanks everyone else for your replies!

wave Sari

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Re: Defective Gliders? Not "Flying" [Re: ] #580339
07/01/08 11:45 AM
07/01/08 11:45 AM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
Originally Posted By: TWilson
BTW, my others are very jealous of his ability.

This is very interesting. Do your others seem to "try" to glide when they see Willy do this? Or do they just stay "grounded"? I'm quite curious about this. Have you tried any "training" with the others? (sounds like Willy is a blast!)

wave Sari

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024