Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I think keeping them as pets is wrong. #583560
07/06/08 04:38 AM
07/06/08 04:38 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

As an Australian, living in the country where these beautiful wild animals belong, I think it is so wrong that gliders have been bred as pets in America. They might be just 'exotic' to you but these animals are wild and beautiful, and deserve to be able to soar across gum trees and not be kept in cages. If you can't provide that for your glider, then you're not giving it the life it deserves.

I'm so proud of the wildlife native to Australia, but can't stand the way it's ok for Americans and other people worldwild to keep them as pets. Because it's ok, they're 'exotic'. But how would you feel if I kept a Bald Eagle in a parrot cage because I thought it was cute?

I understand you feel you care for your pet. But they will never be pets to me. I adore them as much as any of you, but can appreciate their beauty without having the need to keep them in my house.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: Anonymous] #583562
07/06/08 05:05 AM
07/06/08 05:05 AM

R
Rachel OP
Unregistered
Rachel OP
Unregistered
R

If my sugar gliders weren't happy I wouldn't keep them. The thing is they have great quality of life with me. Their cages are huge. They're only in them when they're sleeping anyways. As soon as they're awake they're leaping from bookshelf to bookshelf. They own our house.

I take them outside with me and don't have to worry about them running off. They're more interested in being fat and spoilt than having a larger environment and being eaten by birds.

I certainly don't think it's fair to capture an animal from the wild and toss it in a cage. None of our sugar gliders are wild though. They're born into human families. Mine are as domestic as any cat I've had. Is keeping cats and dogs and birds as pets it wrong too?

The reason I have sugar gliders is the companionship and love I get from them. I wouldn't want to keep an animal that was miserable. There's nothing wrong with animals living happily alongside people though.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #583566
07/06/08 07:05 AM
07/06/08 07:05 AM

L
Leyna OP
Unregistered
Leyna OP
Unregistered
L

Our gliders are captive bred and would stand no chance what-so-ever in the wild. Telling us it's wrong to own gliders would be like us telling you it's wrong to own a pet dog or cat... The gliders we have in captivity here are not the same as those you see gliding from tree to tree in the wild.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #583567
07/06/08 07:12 AM
07/06/08 07:12 AM

R
Rachel OP
Unregistered
Rachel OP
Unregistered
R

Even if they were wild sugar gliders, they are happy and love us. We aren't keeping them against their will. If we were sticking them in 2ft. tall cages and not interacting with them I'd take your argument to heart but these animals have at least the same quality of life they would in the wild. They're spoilt and happy. People wouldn't keep pets that hated them.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #583580
07/06/08 08:54 AM
07/06/08 08:54 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm not the same person who post this topic...

I guess I can understand why you are upset, but these are captive bred gliders. I have 3 huge cages plus an outdoor tent glider environment.
I know people on Craigslist, breeders, etc. sell gliders for the money for it, and many people are getting the wrong info. People who don't have the money to spend or get wrong info are the people who do not deserve gliders.

I didn't go to a breeder and spend money to get these "exotics", no they would have been dead if I didn't come and get them. I know that may sound weird, but it is true. 5 gliders (Gidget, Moondoggie, Stitch, B.B., and Bullet)would have been abandoned at a trailer park. Sandy would have been taken to a glider breeder, because the owner could not find 30+ INBRED gliders for someone to take them. Kiki would have been in more pain. Her owner removed 1 of her legs, tail, removed the membrane from her right hand, the male she was caged with bit her on her face (leaving multioule of scars), and without food. She was 5months old paired up with a 2 year old male.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: Anonymous] #583581
07/06/08 09:01 AM
07/06/08 09:01 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
I'm not the same person who post this topic...

I guess I can understand why you are upset, but these are captive bred gliders. I have 3 huge cages plus an outdoor tent glider environment.
I know people on Craigslist, breeders, etc. sell gliders for the money for it, and many people are getting the wrong info. People who don't have the money to spend or get wrong info are the people who do not deserve gliders.

I didn't go to a breeder and spend money to get these "exotics", no they would have been dead if I didn't come and get them. I know that may sound weird, but it is true. 5 gliders (Gidget, Moondoggie, Stitch, B.B., and Bullet)would have been abandoned at a trailer park. Sandy would have been taken to a glider breeder, because the owner could not find 30+ INBRED gliders for someone to take them. Kiki would have been in more pain. Her owner removed 1 of her legs, tail, removed the membrane from her right hand, the male she was caged with bit her on her face (leaving multiple of scars), and without food. She was 5months old paired up with a 2 year old male.

Oh, and captive gliders live about 15 to 20 years instead the wild gliders live about 8 years.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: Anonymous] #583583
07/06/08 09:23 AM
07/06/08 09:23 AM

R
Rachel OP
Unregistered
Rachel OP
Unregistered
R

There are wrong and right ways to keep sugar gliders as pets. If you think everyone tosses them in bird cages and gives them pop tarts and beef jerky for dinner you're wrong.

I don't necessarily believe if an animal lives longer it has a better life. Some animals are miserable in captivity. Large wild cats cat live much longer in captivity than in the wild but lack quality of life. Sugar gliders, on the other hand, can have excellent quality of life and live twelve or fifteen years in captivity. sounds pretty sweet to me.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: Anonymous] #583585
07/06/08 09:24 AM
07/06/08 09:24 AM
West Babylon, NY
Snoopurr Offline
Glider Lover
Snoopurr  Offline
Glider Lover

West Babylon, NY
So then how do you feel about all of the zoo's all over the world that hold other wild animals captive? Maybe you should go pick on them....

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: Snoopurr] #583588
07/06/08 09:30 AM
07/06/08 09:30 AM

R
Rachel OP
Unregistered
Rachel OP
Unregistered
R

No one is picking on anyone. They have their opinions about an animal they hold dear. We have ours. All we can do is provide information.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #583598
07/06/08 10:42 AM
07/06/08 10:42 AM

B
buttercup OP
Unregistered
buttercup OP
Unregistered
B

Yes, while it would be fantastic to let our suggies "soar from tree to tree"...they wouldn't survive outdoors. It's not like we caught them in the wild and stuck them in cages. Then, it would be different, depriving them of a life they once had These suggies we have as pets were born in captivity.

Go look at the photo gallery...then tell us if you think these suggies are not having a good, enjoyable life.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: Anonymous] #583683
07/06/08 02:39 PM
07/06/08 02:39 PM

M
Mio OP
Unregistered
Mio OP
Unregistered
M

5 gliders (Gidget, Moondoggie, Stitch, B.B., and Bullet)would have been abandoned at a trailer park. Sandy would have been taken to a glider breeder, because the owner could not find 30+ INBRED gliders for someone to take them. Kiki would have been in more pain. Her owner removed 1 of her legs, tail, removed the membrane from her right hand, the male she was caged with bit her on her face (leaving multioule of scars), and without food. She was 5months old paired up with a 2 year old male.

I think that's the kind of people we should be getting angry at- not the ones who take good care of their animals. agree

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #583701
07/06/08 03:26 PM
07/06/08 03:26 PM

M
macwood6 OP
Unregistered
macwood6 OP
Unregistered
M

First off if you are going to post please be polite enough to register.
Everyone here is passionate and caring about our pets and would like to have an adult conversation, not just a post and run.

I know personally that my gliders love me. I would not keep them if they were not happy to be here.I do everything that I can to make sure that they have a good life and try to help others have the best life they can with their gliders.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #583706
07/06/08 03:44 PM
07/06/08 03:44 PM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
Hmmm...interesting. But, if I were given one single wish, I'd wish to be a sugar glider and live with any of these wonderful ladies on this forum. Everyone here is passionate about our sugs and we put THEM first. Their happiness is worth more to all of us than anything else and it's rare that you'll see or read about a depressed sug. I know that there are SOME people in the states that breed them solely for money and that's it, but, we aren't all like that so to assume we're all evil and keep our sugs in small cages is horrible.

Do you have any pets? If so, "it's wrong to own them!" roflmao

Back on topic...sugs are MUCH safer here than over there. They don't have to worry about being eaten or being poisoned. And, they develop such a strong bond with their owner...I doubt they'd ever be able to accomplish that in the wild. It's just a new form of love and it's beautiful because they KNOW they can trust you and that you'll always have their back. I know that they aren't free in the wild but what's more important...being free with a few gliders and having to worry about being eaten or to be kept with 1 or more gliders and a few human slaves, knowing you'll always be safe? Personally, I'd choose to live with the slaves. (We all are literally, slaves to our gliders. They bark, we jump.)

-Nicole
2 doves,1 dog,and 5 gliders...
* Yin and Yang
* Razzle, Tictac, and Kitkat - "The trio"
Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: Kiiru] #583842
07/06/08 07:30 PM
07/06/08 07:30 PM

M
MagicMan OP
Unregistered
MagicMan OP
Unregistered
M

Well... if you want to "express" your opinion, I say go to a mill breeder! NOT to a site that is strictly for education and learning how to better care for our animals!

You cant expect everyone just to sit here and say nothing and not respond, when there is someone else who comes here for the main purpose of telling all of us we're wrong!

You may feel that its wrong... cool! As stated above, its merely your opinion! But dont come here anonymously and tell us all we are so wrong and bad for keeping these very well loved and SPOILED pets! Like I said, go to a mill breeder who desnt care about them and only about the money and share your opinions there!

If Im wrong for waking up in the middle of the night to give them a little treat when they bark, let me be wrong!

If Im wrong about playing and interacting with them EVERY second Im home, let me be wrong!

If Im wrong keeping them on me all day so they can rest and feel safe and get to spend even MORE time with them, then let me be wrong!

If Im wrong spending HUNDREDS of dollars a month for toys and things for their cage, then let me be wrong!

Maybe you should study more about the lives they have with us instead of just showing up and having no clue what kind of lives they really have!

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #583980
07/06/08 10:49 PM
07/06/08 10:49 PM

R
rob OP
Unregistered
rob OP
Unregistered
R

If Gizmo wasn't happy I really don't think he would spend so much time using me as a jungle gym. Australia is home to 15 of the worlds mostly deadly animals and they all eat suggies. I think Gizmo is much happier ruling my house.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #583988
07/06/08 10:58 PM
07/06/08 10:58 PM

S
Soh OP
Unregistered
Soh OP
Unregistered
S

Oh, man... Crichton barks at me if he doesn't get his favorite fruit "ice cream" exactly on time every night, and Mishka would be heartbroken without her collection of pretty plastic bracelets to haul around. I think if I stuck them in a tree somewhere they'd be about as unhappy as if I dropped my human kids off at a park and told them to fend for themselves. roflmao

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #583990
07/06/08 11:01 PM
07/06/08 11:01 PM

7glider7 OP
Unregistered
7glider7 OP
Unregistered

Hmm. I think you have a somewhat valid and interesting point.

I personally am OK with keeping my gliders because 1) we are captively breeding them in the US now so we are (supposedly, anyways) not taking animals that are accustomed to being in the "wild" per se and confining them to captivity here, it IS a domestic population, and 2) from my research I could see that if cared for properly, most gliders seem to do well and be happy in captivity. For these reasons I personally felt OK having gliders as a pet and didn't feel it was wrong.

I do feel though that gliders are "tougher" pets to own than a dog or cat, for instance, and that many of the people who end up with gliders have no business owning them, and the animals suffer. From this perspective, I can understand why as a native Australian, you would dislike seeing a beautiful animal being domesticated and being in the pet trade. Just like our other domesticated animals, like dogs and cats, there are more gliders than there are good homes, and many ignorant owners result in suffering gliders.

Of course, all animals in captivity can be abused by ignorant owners, but I think sometimes exotics get the short end of the stick even more because they require special care.

Sometimes I have asked myself, after reading stories of gliders self mutilating, if perhaps they are not a species that should be kept in captivity, since they sometimes seem to stress and damage themselves more than other "domesticated" animals do.

I haven't decided whether, after my gliders pass on, if I'll own gliders again or not.

I must say though that I love them to pieces now, and while I recognize that despite hanging up all sorts of vines and doing all sorts of enrichment for their playtimes, no, my abode is not the same as the Australian forest. Do my gliders know what they are missing? I think not. Do they seem happy? Reasonably so.

I appreciate you bringing up a tough topic on the board like this. I wish you'd register though so you could continue in the discussion smile

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #584002
07/06/08 11:17 PM
07/06/08 11:17 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Please understand the suggies you refer to are & have always been wild, the gliders we are owned by, and yes you have it backwards we are owned by our babies not the other way around, are not and most have never been wild.

You bash us for loving and providing all that is wanted not just needed for our babies. Have you read the posts here of the mom's hand raising their gliders joeys? The thousands of dollars spent on expert vets to save their babies, the days, weeks, and months of research into diets just to make sure that one tablespoon of food is healthy. Railroads across this entire country to save the life of a single glider.

These are like our own flesh and blood children to us not just some wild animal we decided to cage.

What do you do for gliders? We do alot for the gliders that are here whether they are in our home or someone elses.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: Trigger] #584028
07/06/08 11:42 PM
07/06/08 11:42 PM
Hustonville,Ky
Darlene Offline
Glider Lover
Darlene  Offline
Glider Lover

Hustonville,Ky
Everyone has an opinion. You have yours, mine is mine, as everyone else's is theirs.

Before I got my sugs.....I stayed at this computer for months on end searching anything and everything I could on these "exotic" animals. Before that it was 3 years in the making before I really decided to own sugs...or should I say be owned by sugs. If I thought I was doing something wrong, harmful, or anything else I myself would have never got them. The sugs we own are bred in captivity, they don't know the wild as the gliders you know and appreciate. If I where a glider, I would rather be in captivity....1) I wouldn't have to worry about being eaten by another, maybe bigger animal. 2)I always have food. 3) gett hundreds of dollars spent on me in food,toys,medical if needed. 4)and get all the LOVE & PLAY TIME without worry if a bigger creature was gonna snatch me up as I take a glide or as I searh for food.
Yet it's true that some people get gliders cause they think they are cute and they just have to have one, without doing any research or whatever. Or they get them just to make a dollar. Then it's the gliders that suffer. Cause those people were given the wrong information & facts on these precious animals. So on that point I agree that those people should NOT own gliders,that those people shouldn't have them at ALL!! But for us others that know they are precious to us........They are a part of our families, NOT just another animal. We love & care for them very much. So you shouldn't judge us. Better yet.....come stay a few days or even one with any of us on here........you'll see how much we are slaves to ours sugs,how much we love and care for them.

Wife to Ed mlove
Mom to 2 skin aliens :roflmao:
3 :dog:
Atti(Attitude)(bugg)
Sassie (pug)

2 :glider: Ozz (little man) and my newest baby girl KiKi.

Beloved & missed cat Crybaby RIP 11/?/94 - 12/16/06
Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: Darlene] #584079
07/07/08 12:35 AM
07/07/08 12:35 AM
USA
sweetheart26 Offline
Glider Addict
sweetheart26  Offline
Glider Addict

USA

If you think about it..people have all kinds of exotic animals as pets and once they took them out of the wild..but most of them now are born not in the wild..any more..the thing is i care about my gliders and love them with all my heart..i give them the care they need..:) and i dont think you should have a problem with people having them as pets..:)

mom to sugar gliders storm,thunder,lighting,snowball,rosebud,winter,string,summer fall and sweet.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: Anonymous] #584114
07/07/08 01:01 AM
07/07/08 01:01 AM

M
Mio OP
Unregistered
Mio OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: **DONOTDELETE**

I'm so proud of the wildlife native to Australia, but can't stand the way it's ok for Americans and other people worldwild to keep them as pets. Because it's ok, they're 'exotic'. But how would you feel if I kept a Bald Eagle in a parrot cage because I thought it was cute?

I would be appalled, to answer your question. I can't stand for any animal to be abused or neglected... and if you kept a bald eagle in a parrot cage, I think that would be the case. I really wouldn't even want to keep a parrot in a parrot cage. I'd want an aviary. Proportionate to size, that's what my suggies have. And they don't even spend lots of time in there. I doubt you'd bond with a bald eagle and bring it outside and let it fly around. I take my suggies out all the time (the ones I know won't run off, anyways).

Honestly, I am of the belief that we are "stewards of the earth". It is our responsibility to properly care for the earth and its inhabitants. I don't think that we are violating this command by keeping these animals. Honestly, the abomination to me lies in factory farms, puppy (glider, kitten, etc.) mills, and people who daily kick dogs, withhold food and water, keep animals in unsanitary conditions, hunt just for the joy of killing, and do other things which I abhor. I can't stand animal abuse... or human abuse for that matter. But I simply don't believe that this falls under that category.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #584120
07/07/08 01:11 AM
07/07/08 01:11 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
I would like to also point out there there are people IN AUSTRALIA who keep gliders as pets also. Not perhaps the number of people as elsewhere in the world but...there are several Australian owners that are members here on GC.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #584125
07/07/08 01:27 AM
07/07/08 01:27 AM
Maryland
Holly1221 Offline
Glider Slave
Holly1221  Offline
Glider Slave

Maryland
Originally Posted By: MagicMan
....If Im wrong for waking up in the middle of the night to give them a little treat when they bark, let me be wrong!

If Im wrong about playing and interacting with them EVERY second Im home, let me be wrong!

If Im wrong keeping them on me all day so they can rest and feel safe and get to spend even MORE time with them, then let me be wrong!

If Im wrong spending HUNDREDS of dollars a month for toys and things for their cage, then let me be wrong!

Maybe you should study more about the lives they have with us instead of just showing up and having no clue what kind of lives they really have!

YAY Micah ! my kind of man ! roflmao

i spend more money on my gliders than i do myself. the only thing i really buy is books. please remember that at 1 time ALL animals were WILD. i agree with what every woman [or man, soz Micah] on this board has said, we are passionate about these little creatures. i want the best for my gliders. many of us here have had to learn abt the gliders they have by buying from a mill breeder. you used the reference of a bald eagle, was this for insult or something ? i firmly believe that any pet you have should have the room to run around. sure i may not let my littlest cat out the door at the moment bc of the abundance of male cats that are around and she's pregnant. as soon as she's had the kittens and has weaned them, she's getting spayed and may run around outside if she so chooses. my big cat came from a family who abused her and then abandoned her. she won't step foot out of our yard and it took 6 months for her to even want to go back outside[[i nursed her back to health for 3 months after rescuing her from near death.]] if you take care of your animal, your animal will love you in return. last night Lacee "yelled" at me for hours cuz she wanted her dinner and she wanted it when she wanted. if they didn't love us, would we be thier safety zone ? sure, some people may be in it "for the money" we know that, we've experienced it. <u>i love my breeder</u> bc she genuinely cares abt her babies. everytime i've picked up my glider from her when it was come-home-time, she cried bc they are like her children. i know i can count on her for advice. i send her pictures and updates, share stories. i would recommend her to ANY1. i've seen people go out of thier way to help 1 another or a glider in need even when they don't have the money themselves.

if you've been captive bred, do you know what you're missing out on ? sadly, no. but you DO know that your "owner" loves you, dotes on you, spoils you rotten, jumps when you say jumps, you get so many toys you don't know where they hide them all, that you are safe. who wouldn't want a life like that ?

Nicole, i'm so right there with you girl ! i'd love to come back as a glider with any of these generous people.

please do not bash us for caring about these guys. bash on us for anything else but this

Holly & Jeff heart
Misos Phoenix Keegan Knuckles // Asa Etienne Kyrian // Cheyenne Peyton Godiva

RIP my sweet gangel babies, mommy loves you!
Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: Dancing] #584129
07/07/08 01:29 AM
07/07/08 01:29 AM
Canton Tx
Their_mommy Offline
Glider Guardian
Their_mommy  Offline
Glider Guardian

Canton Tx
How sad to come here and post such a thing.
I myself am in the process of turning my unused guest house into a glider house.
They will have the large bathroom, (minus the toilet) that will be turned into a jungle gym for them to soar from the ceiling. It will have loads of ropes, toys and food sources for them, places to sleep and lots of fun things to do.
I am in the process of waiting until my 4 foot cages are delivered to house them all.
The walls will be painted with trees and flowers to make them feel at home. With ropes all over the place for them to run through the (trees) and have places to leap and soar to their hearts content.
Then they can go back to their home (their cage will be wheeled into the bathroom)when the sun comes up.
It will be heaven for them all and there will be no predators for them to have to worry about and will have their own HOME .
So tell me, what is so wrong about that, to give them a home( literally)?
Like the others said, don't come here and not join so that we all know who you are, just to raise a stink about something you know nothing about!!!!

As time goes by and my loves pass. I will forever be greatfull for the time we had together. I will see you soon my loves.
Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: Anonymous] #584138
07/07/08 01:54 AM
07/07/08 01:54 AM
Mobile,Alabama
jannee66 Offline
Glider Addict
jannee66  Offline
Glider Addict

Mobile,Alabama
As an Australian, living in the country where these beautiful wild animals belong, I think it is so wrong that gliders have been bred as pets in America. They might be just 'exotic' to you but these animals are wild and beautiful, and deserve to be able to soar across gum trees and not be kept in cages. If you can't provide that for your glider, then you're not giving it the life it deserves.

I understand you feel you care for your pet. But they will never be pets to me. I adore them as much as any of you, but can appreciate their beauty without having the need to keep them in my house.

And ?

wave Jannie

I heart my Sweet Spellbinding Sugar :glider:s

Glider Kisses
Pouches and Cage Sets

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: Anonymous] #584158
07/07/08 02:36 AM
07/07/08 02:36 AM

R
Rhapsody OP
Unregistered
Rhapsody OP
Unregistered
R

May I ask what you keep as a pet where you live?

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: ] #584213
07/07/08 09:12 AM
07/07/08 09:12 AM
Conroe TX
J
Jennifer_Maaske Offline
Glider Slave
Jennifer_Maaske  Offline
Glider Slave
J

Conroe TX
I'm sure this person checked out a long time ago.

Jennifer Maaske
4sugar gliders
2 great danes
1 American Eskimo dog
1 livestock guard dog
4 cats
2 goats
23 chicken
3children
1 Very tolerant husband

www.redemptiondayfarm.com
Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: Jennifer_Maaske] #584219
07/07/08 09:35 AM
07/07/08 09:35 AM

M
Mio OP
Unregistered
Mio OP
Unregistered
M

You're probably right, Jennifer. This was just a drama post to stir us up- but unfortunately we can't just NOT respond... lol. Silence is consensus... and we definitely don't have that with this person.

To said anonymous poster: most of us are just expressing opinions, not bashing, so feel free to join and discuss with us further: don't be scared! Most of us don't bite, and I can tell you're an animal lover, so we're in agreement there.

Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: sweetheart26] #584221
07/07/08 09:39 AM
07/07/08 09:39 AM
Northeast U.S.
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict
angelic4296  Offline
Glider Addict

Northeast U.S.
I have something to say...while I agree that mill breeders, people who don't do their research first, don't provide adequate care or attention or re-home when they realize how much work is involved should never own gliders in the first place, I see another side.

I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis since I was 15 months old. I've grown up with this disability and it's been my life. I don't really feel I've missed out on much b/c I've always received all the love and attention (and medical care) I could want and this disability has been what I've known. I know this comparison could be used against me, but I've never viewed my disability as a negative thing...the qualities I love most about myself have come from it...strength, courage, and determination, to name a few. When you don't know another way of life, how can you be unhappy with the great life you've got???

These gliders were born in captivity. They know what it means to have a life right from the start full of love, attention and care and that's all they know since they were born in captivity....I don't think that's a bad thing. If you're going to come on here (anonymously) and make this point, we could make it for any pet at all, including dogs, who were once wild. Do you own any pets, cats, fish, birds, dogs? If so, it's a bit hypocritical of you to launch an attack on all of us, who love our gliders more than you will ever know.

Last edited by angelic4296; 07/07/08 09:45 AM.

Jess

2 spoiled gliders, Gizzy (6/05) and Ruthie (?/05) <3

Please consider rescuing first!

Please remember to complete your surveys at http://www.sugargroup.org/ - help better the lives of gliders everywhere smile
Re: I think keeping them as pets is wrong. [Re: angelic4296] #584237
07/07/08 10:11 AM
07/07/08 10:11 AM
Ohio
gryphon214 Offline
Glider Explorer
gryphon214  Offline
Glider Explorer

Ohio
To the OP, Google this search term "define:domesticated" and read all of the definitions that come up. I'd copy and paste some of the definitions but I don't want to break any board rules...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024