Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My Life with Three Gliders - And Saying Goodbye #588470
07/13/08 12:27 PM
07/13/08 12:27 PM

T
Thynes
Unregistered
Thynes
Unregistered
T

My Life with Three Gliders
And My way of saying Goodbye

A Real Story by Thomas Hynes

I can recall sitting down at the computer late one night in December of 2001,
starting to search for infomration on Sugar Gliders. During that Search
I came to this forum, joined and posted a few messages about wanting to
adopt, purchase a glider.

Well After waiting for replies and responding to peoples
questions and trying to locate some Gliders that needed a new home,
A young Lady from the Boston MA area contacted me about adopting
her Mated Pair and their Six Month old son.

The Male was named Ozzy, the Female was named Harriet, and the 6 month old
well he had no name. After talking to her on the phone for an hour or so,
and emailing me back and forth, she had come to the decision that I would make
and excellent "parent" to her family of three gliders.

It was a Sunday Afernoon, about two weeks before Memorial day weekend, my friend and I drove to a movie
theater, showcase, on Route 1, I want to say it was in Saugus, but I can not remember.
What I do remember is the traffic, trying to find her in a crowd of people, and
finally approaching this woman saying, do you have sugargliders. She said THERE YOU ARE.

We walked over to the car and she showed me the gliders. She took an entire hour to talk
to me about these guys, and how she cared for them, and fed them, and answered all of
my questions. MY main concern was that would the pair breed and produce more babies.
She Assured me NO. The Female was already 10 years old, and Male was 9, and that they
were done breeding. She used her pair for breeders, so they were not tame by any sense
of the word. Even the 6 month old was WILD.

Well after getting all my questions answered, loaded them into the car
and off back to Hartford Connecticut we went.

I immediatly got them set up in their new home.

I Tried with all my effort to get them to bond, but they were all
to use to be untouched.

Then, on Memorial Day, at about 6pm when I went to go feed them, I heard something.
A wimper, a little voice, and what do you know it was a new baby joey. My heart sank.
How was I going to take care of FOUR GLIDERS!!!! So with some more research I decided to name
the little female joey BINDI.

A decision was made to adopt out the 6 month old son, which I named ADONI (pronounced AH-DON-E ).
I found a young married couple who were searching for something exotic to own. I asked them
to do their research, and come back to me in two weeks and let me know if this was something that
they wanted to have. Well they did come back and adopted ADONI with open arms, and they were able to work
with him so that he was tame and just adored both new owners. I was glad, I had made the right
choice, and now I was left with just three gliders right? WRONG...in September of 2002, mh female once
again had another Joey, I now had FOur GLIDERS!!!! I was just like what in the world did I get myself
into here. So with another search on the internet, I found the name Alyria AH - LEER- AH.

I made the decision to adopt out ALYRIA, she was given to the same family that adopted Adoni, but Adoni
had been neutered three months back, so I had no concern about them interbreeding. PHEW.....

Well in 2005 I moved from Hartford to Wolcott Connecticut, about 32 miles away, and a bit
further south, but ontop of a mountain so Winter comes about 3 weeks early, and spring comes about
4 weeks later then the rest of the world.

So now My glider family was happy. I started calling Harriet MAMA, and OZZY PAPA, and of course
Bindi BINDI.

In the Fall of 2006 MAMA had gotten Ill, she had stopped eating, and was loosing weight, and so, thank god,
I was working for a SPECIALIZED vet at the time, DR GIDDINGS. AND my Neighbor, DR. CIANCIOLO was my
neighbor, and worked for DR. GIDDINGS, so all the pieces of the puzzle were in place for good
quality health care for my Gliders. The Decision by DR. C and I was made to euthianize MAMA.
There really was not much that could be done for her. So in October of 2006, Mama was laid to rest. She had
reached a ripe old age of 15.

Now it was Just PAPA and Bindi.

Life went on for another year, when I discovered that PAPA had a peice of string wrapped around
his testicles. LET THIS BE A WARNING....a thread from a TSHIRT that I had used as bedding for their
ceramic nest box, got tangled...he became castrated. Again under the expert care of Dr. C, she
performed surgery on him to remove the necrotic tissue.

Life for Bindi and PAPA went on as usual. till July of 2008 when unknown to me, that it appeared that
BINDI had somehow contracted a respitory infection. she was lethargic one night, and did not eat, and so
I decided to spend sometime with her. I took her in my hands and I could hear the RASPY breathing.
I knew that her lungs were filled with fluid, but so late at night, and with no where to go, I decided I would take her to the
vet the following morning. Unfortunatly she passed away in my hands. She was only 6 years old.

PAPA was a bit agitated for a few nights, and he was awake during the day and evening hours, only sleeping
here and there. I got home last night, and found that he had passed away. He had reached an age of 16, just
missed his 17th birthday by about 15 days. He will be laid to rest later today, next to his family, in the garden, near
day lillies. So when the bloom I will think of all three of them.

So that is my life with sugargliders. And I am thankful that I had them. But I personally
have made the decision not to have another one. For my life is to busy now to give the care and
true attention that they need. For if I did, this story may not have been posted for another few
years.

So keep an watchful eye on your gliders. And if you suspect that something is wrong
get MEDICAL attention ASAP. Small animals like this can and do hide their symptoms, and
go go down hill quickly.

These Three Gliders were Great and they will be missed

Thomas Hynes

Re: My Life with Three Gliders - And Saying Goodbye [Re: ] #588498
07/13/08 01:03 PM
07/13/08 01:03 PM
MA
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
pappy1264  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

MA
Thank you for sharing your story and gliders with us. God bless them, they are reunited again. I'm very sorry for your losses of them. I have had gliders for two years now and they have changed me in a way I never though possible. You take care and remember if you ever have the itch to be a glider slave again, we will be here.

Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary
Re: My Life with Three Gliders - And Saying Goodbye [Re: ] #588504
07/13/08 01:08 PM
07/13/08 01:08 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
I am so sorry for you...

* ~ * John * ~ * Sorry store is closed at this time.. <br>
Link -> [b]~~ XtremeGlider ~~ Home of the original Re~set Toys! ~~[/b] <br>
Oct 2012 update.. miss my gliders and my
glider family and think of my friends often!!!
Re: My Life with Three Gliders - And Saying Goodbye [Re: Xglider] #588566
07/13/08 03:18 PM
07/13/08 03:18 PM
Virginia Beach, VA.
Ellen Offline
Owner:Emeritus-Mother Hen
Ellen  Offline
Owner:Emeritus-Mother Hen

Virginia Beach, VA.
I know it was hard to write and post this. I hope it helped you talk about all the history and love you all had for each other.

It is wonderful to read and hear about someone that loves and cares about their baby's as you do and did.

So when I my Day Lillies bloom I will think of you and the family too.

Love and kindness is a gift. Use it freely....
My Gallery
Re: My Life with Three Gliders - And Saying Goodbye [Re: Ellen] #589600
07/15/08 01:57 AM
07/15/08 01:57 AM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
What a wonderful life they shared with you. Thank you for sharing their story with us.

I am so sorry for your loss. hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: My Life with Three Gliders - And Saying Goodbye [Re: sugarlope] #589653
07/15/08 08:17 AM
07/15/08 08:17 AM

T
Thynes
Unregistered
Thynes
Unregistered
T

Thank you all to have read my story. And thanks for all the support as well.

I truely believe that with Harriet and Ozzy that although not PETS in the sense that BINDI was...I know that I provided them with everything that they needed to live a long life, and I think that their ages prove that they were well cared for.

Out of the three of them I do miss Bindi the most. One part of the story never made into the orginal post, but for the short of it, Harriet, escaped from her cage leaving Bindi behind. She was in my walls, I could hear her ... so
there I was with a baby joey, no mother and a glider stuck behind my walls.

Well I put out dishes of food and water for her. and would check every morning, and what do you know she came out to eat.

Then one evening coming home from work...I saw her, in the bathroom, so I grabbed the baby Joey, BINDI, and coached Harriet onto my hand, and they were reunited after a week.

Bindi was Great, she was everything a sugarglider should be. It is her death that I am just kinda feeling so quilty about, because if I had known that she was ill I would of gotten her treatment...my next door neighbor is a vet.

How Ironic that I did not know that she, Bindi, was so sick until it was too late. Being just 6 years old was way to young, she should of lived on for another 6 or 7 years at least....

I do just urge everyone not to be afraid to get MEDICAL treatment for these guys as soon as possible.....and keep a watchful eye on them as well.

Tom

Re: My Life with Three Gliders - And Saying Goodbye [Re: ] #589659
07/15/08 08:30 AM
07/15/08 08:30 AM
Columbia, Missouri
kthiessen Offline
Glider Addict
kthiessen  Offline
Glider Addict

Columbia, Missouri
I'm so sorry for your losses. hug2 Thank you for sharing your story with us.

~ Kathy ~

Re: My Life with Three Gliders - And Saying Goodbye [Re: kthiessen] #589691
07/15/08 09:32 AM
07/15/08 09:32 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I am sorry for your loss. Your gliders had a great life with you. May your memories of them give you comfort.

Maybe some day down the road Sugar Glider will become part of your life again.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: My Life with Three Gliders - And Saying Goodbye [Re: Feather] #589713
07/15/08 09:51 AM
07/15/08 09:51 AM
Mobile,Alabama
jannee66 Offline
Glider Addict
jannee66  Offline
Glider Addict

Mobile,Alabama
I'm sooooo sooooo sorry for your loss, your story sent chills thru me. hug2
I can tell they were LOVED!!! And I'm sure they knew it too.

wave Jannie

I heart my Sweet Spellbinding Sugar :glider:s

Glider Kisses
Pouches and Cage Sets

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024