Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bond with two people? #592698
07/19/08 03:36 PM
07/19/08 03:36 PM

T
Tito
Unregistered
Tito
Unregistered
T

Hello and thanks in advance for your help,

My parents bought my son, Dylan (12 yrs old), a sugar glider a few days ago so I have been reading everything I can find on gliders the last few days.

Dylan loves the glider (Tito) and has been carrying Tito in a little pouch for several hours every day while he sleeps.

Here is my question. Dylan will be starting football very soon which means I will have to provide a little more care for Tito (which I don't mind at all). QUESTION: Will me spending more time with Tito have an impact on the bonding between Tito and my son? Can a sugar glider bond with more than one person?

My second question: Tito is about 5 months old and we just got him. Most of the information I read is about caring for a new joey. Do I need to do anything different since Tito is a little bit older?

Thanks for all of your help!

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #592778
07/19/08 08:57 PM
07/19/08 08:57 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Originally Posted By: Tito
Hello and thanks in advance for your help,

My parents bought my son, Dylan (12 yrs old), a sugar glider a few days ago so I have been reading everything I can find on gliders the last few days.

Dylan loves the glider (Tito) and has been carrying Tito in a little pouch for several hours every day while he sleeps.

Here is my question. Dylan will be starting football very soon which means I will have to provide a little more care for Tito (which I don't mind at all). QUESTION: Will me spending more time with Tito have an impact on the bonding between Tito and my son? Can a sugar glider bond with more than one person?

There should not be a problem at all with Tito bonding with the both of you. However, Sugar Gliders will favor their 'primary caregiver' more. Just make sure that your son does spend as much time with Tito that her can.

My second question: Tito is about 5 months old and we just got him. Most of the information I read is about caring for a new joey. Do I need to do anything different since Tito is a little bit older?

At five months he should be doing well on his own.

Thanks for all of your help!

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: LSardou] #592791
07/19/08 09:15 PM
07/19/08 09:15 PM

T
Tito
Unregistered
Tito
Unregistered
T

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for answering my question. I have been so worried. I know my son, Dylan, will continue to care for Tito, that is why I was worried about helping out.

Dylan has been spending so much time with Tito (and is so attached to him) that I didn't want to undo all the work he has done. Dylan has spent at least 5 hours every day holding or playing with Tito and several others constructing buildings and toys for the little fellow.

I can't tell you how relieved I am to know I can help without getting in the way of their relationship. (I am eager to play with Tito myself)

Thanks again for your feedback!

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #592800
07/19/08 09:26 PM
07/19/08 09:26 PM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
Hello Tito's Gramma!
Just a thought, but since your son will not be able to give Tito the time he is giving him now, and since you will be giving him more time, then it's time now for you to bond as well!
You should carry him around some, and get him used to you before it's time to take care of him. You can both bond, and then it will be a little easier on Tito as well. Oh, and you won't have to be jelous of your son anymore, because you'll get to play with him too! wink

Just my opinion. Glad your son is such a loving Suggie owner, bravo Dylan! (and good for youtoo, Mommy!)

*Whatever I said, I said it with a Smile*

wave Sari

:grey:Sugar:grey:Nibbles:grey:Destiny

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Suggie Smart Mart *Home of The Hippie Pouch & Suggie Chandelier
Re: Bond with two people? [Re: SariYappa] #592807
07/19/08 09:37 PM
07/19/08 09:37 PM

T
Tito
Unregistered
Tito
Unregistered
T

Hi Sari,

Do I have to pay you for your feedback? I have been dying to carry Tito around but have held back because I didn't want to interfere with my son bonding with Tito.

I will be a good mom and let them bond for a full week before I get my jealous little paws on Tito and carry him around a little bit but it will take all the self control I have. I have been tempted to wait for my son to go to bed and hold Tito but I have been a good mom and forced myself to be content just watching Tito. (talk about will power)

Thank you so much for your feedback (and permission to bond with Tito laugh ) I owe you!

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #592869
07/19/08 11:19 PM
07/19/08 11:19 PM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
OH, you owe me alright! I need to have a picture of cute little Tito!!! Then, you are paid in full smile

Let me say that we all learn something everyday on Glider Central. And, My 6 yr. old son carries them every chance I give him (with me around, of course!) and it has not interfered with our bonding at all. smile

wave Sari

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: SariYappa] #592892
07/19/08 11:57 PM
07/19/08 11:57 PM

T
Tito
Unregistered
Tito
Unregistered
T

Hi Sari,

I tried to upload a picture but didn't see the option here. I don't know how to use Tito's pictures since I can't upload them. I guess I will have to give you an IOU. wink

Do you have any sugar glider suggestions for this new Grandma? (o - grandma sounds horrible)

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #592907
07/20/08 12:27 AM
07/20/08 12:27 AM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
Hi Grammy! (is that better?) LOL

I can help you with pictures. As you are writing back to me, look at the bottom of your "quick reply" screen, and you'll see 3 boxes. "Submit", "Preview Reply" and "Switch to Full Reply Screen"...

click on "Switch to Full Reply Screen". (you won't loose what you have already typed). This will give you access to all the smileys, and adding links and pics and more. (wait a sec, I have to click on it now, so I can finish the directions, LOL)...

Depending on the pics you have, the size, and where they are, will depend on weather or not you use just a "link" or you actually add the image. Most people download their pics to "photobucket", and it is free to join and use. I will now put a link in here for you, and then I can tell you how I did it! photo bucket
Just click on the icon above that looks like a blue earch w/ a paper clip under it. (next to the smiley icon). Then, just fill in the URL to the page your picture is on. The easiest way to do this, if you are not familier with this kind of stuff, is to just go to your picture on the net (in another window), and right click on it, then click on "properties" and it will give you the url (this is the sentence that says http://...)
copy that url... (highlight it, then right click, then click on "copy")
then paste it in the window that opens when you click on the blue earth...
then next it just wants you to "name the link" (whatever you put in this box, is what I will see/read as the "link")

Oh, I hope I didn't confuse you! Let's not go to the other options, until you try this one first, OK??

There are so many wonderful, informing people here on GC, you will be soaking it all up like a sponge! My best advise, is to read, use your own brain, decide what sounds right to you, do some research, and make your own decisions!

Good luck! You may PM me at any time with more questions, but I am fairly new here myself in comparison to the "GC experts" that have been here a long time. Just look for a "moderator", and they can lead you where you want to go...

wave Sari

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: SariYappa] #592961
07/20/08 02:02 AM
07/20/08 02:02 AM

T
Tito
Unregistered
Tito
Unregistered
T

Hi Sari,

Thank you for the information on how to add pictures. Ok, here is a trial load of a pic. Let's hope it works.

http://s340.photobucket.com/albums/o339/udbnuts2/th_sugarglider.jpg

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #592968
07/20/08 02:17 AM
07/20/08 02:17 AM

N
NammyPants
Unregistered
NammyPants
Unregistered
N

Hello there! The picture worked! I hope you can get some pics of Tito up to share; we are picture gluttons here wink

Read around and click on any threads that interest you or seem like they might help you. It's great to hear about a kid who's so young being responsible enough to care for a suggie; it doesn't happen enough!

Does your son do tent time with the little Tito at night? that would be a PERFECT time to allow both you and your son equal oppertunities to bond and interact with Tito. It's a very good thing you're doing the bonding along with him; having suggies used to more than one person makes it way less stressful in the abscence of the primary caregiver. My kids crab like mad at my mom if she even opens the door sometimes. shakehead

Welcome to gliderCENTRAL! wave

Last edited by NammyPants; 07/20/08 02:18 AM.
Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #592994
07/20/08 03:41 AM
07/20/08 03:41 AM

T
Tito
Unregistered
Tito
Unregistered
T

Yes, we have a tent set up but we also have a very big enclosed "fort" with screened windows and lots of branches and toys to play on. We take Tito out there to play when the weather is cooler. It has been hot here during the day. We still have to figure out Tito's sleeping times. We got him from a pet store and right now he seems to be on pet store hours. One more thing we need to learn about the little fellow.

I do hope to be more hands on with Tito after he has bonded with my son for about a week. I am trying to let the two of them bond before I work myself into the mix.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Here is a picture of my big little guy so when I talk about my son, you know what he looks like. Big D

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #592997
07/20/08 03:59 AM
07/20/08 03:59 AM

N
NammyPants
Unregistered
NammyPants
Unregistered
N

I'm glad you got him out of the pet store...I don't hear a lot of good stuff about them. He sounds freak'n spoiled now!

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #593000
07/20/08 05:00 AM
07/20/08 05:00 AM

R
Rachel
Unregistered
Rachel
Unregistered
R

Technically I'm the primary caregiver of our sugar gliders. My boyfriend is fantastic with them as well though. The bond between the gliders and myself is no stronger than between the gliders and my boyfriend. They just listen to me more than him. tounge

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #593113
07/20/08 01:41 PM
07/20/08 01:41 PM

T
Tito
Unregistered
Tito
Unregistered
T

Thanks Rachel. That makes me feel better. How long do you think I should let my son bond with Tito before I get my little mitts in there?

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #593139
07/20/08 03:01 PM
07/20/08 03:01 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

I don't really see a problem with both you and your son spending time with him. You don't have to "avoid" him. bonding is sort of a process that occurs over a long period of time, with some gliders faster than others. I've had my gliders for 2 years and I feel like my female became especially bonded to me recently just after this last move.

I think it's a great idea for you both to bond with Tito..and as mentioned before...he is likely to bond STRONGER to whoever spends more time with him...but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't also enjoy attention from a secondary caregiver as well thumb

You mentioned it was hot during the day...sorry if you are already aware of this, but just want to make sure that you are aware that Tito should mainly be bonding with you only in his bonding pouch and sleeping during the day, and the best time for him to run around the fort you mentioned is at night. Gliders are naturally nocturnal and will be most active at night (as you've probably noticed!) You want to avoid waking them up too much during the day as it can reduce the amount of sleep they get and stress them.

Again, welcome to GC wave You will learn so much here just by reading all the stickies and threads. Please don't hesitate to ask questions, we are happy to answer smile

Edited to add: At some point in the future you may want to consider if you want to get Tito a buddy. Most gliders are actually happiest when they have another glider to play with when their humans aren't around smile Do be aware though that intact male gliders will often fight, and if you got a female, you might end up with LOTS of babies (=LOTS OF WORK), so in this case Tito would probably have to be neutered. Neutering a glider is a safe surgery if done by a glider experienced vet (you will want to find one of these as well), and it has many benefits (like less smell, often more laid-back males, less fighting and no babies!)

Last edited by 7glider7; 07/20/08 03:03 PM.
Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #593149
07/20/08 03:32 PM
07/20/08 03:32 PM

T
Tito
Unregistered
Tito
Unregistered
T

Wow, that is alot of information to process. Thank you for all of your advice.

We got Tito from a pet store and he is supposed to be about 5 months old. (I am still trying to figure out if Tito is a boy or girl, the way HE looks right now, I don't see much of a bald spot so HE might actually be a SHE). Tito seems to have pet store hours right now. He wakes up at about 5 and is up until about 11 am, then he goes back to bed. We are still trying to figure out his schedule and we do try not to wake him when he is sleeping, other than to move him to my son's bonding pouch.

I am glad to know I can handle Tito too. My son handles him the mostly but once football season starts, he will have less time to handle Tito and I will step in more then. I do want to handle him sooner because I want him to start bonding with me as well. Your information here has really helped me!

Two more questions if you don't mind. From these two pictures can you tell if Tito is male or female and what type of glider he is?

Tito in pouch

Tito eating

Thank you so much for all your help!!

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #593230
07/20/08 06:03 PM
07/20/08 06:03 PM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
Grammy, it's OK to bond now!! Get your mitts in there, you won't spoil anything with Big D! And by the way, they are BOTH cute little boys!! smile

As far as Tito's sleeping habbits, they will change to a "regular glider" habbit. They are nocturnal, and as long as they can tell there is daylight where the cage is, and they can tell when it gets dark again, then they'll change their own schedule. It helps if you feed them when YOU want them to get up. They are creatures of habbit, so say if you feed them every night at 9pm, you'll probably have them waking up for you at 9pm every night! And, well, they'll go back to sleep for a bit afterwards, but that's what they do!

If Tito has ANY bald spot on his head, he's a boy. Also, you may see a white fluff ball under him. That will mean he is a boy too! And, if he is a girl, "she" will have a pouch, which the slit is up & down, opposite of a pouch you see in a Kangaroo. smile

wave Sari

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: SariYappa] #593238
07/20/08 06:18 PM
07/20/08 06:18 PM
Tucson, AZ
hipbchik Offline
Glider Slave
hipbchik  Offline
Glider Slave

Tucson, AZ
Ditto...start bonding away!! The more the merrier!! (in my opinion) that's what helps make for a well adjusted and socialized glider! If Bradley's Boys hadn't been introduced to so many people, I don't know that they would have gone to their new home so quietly. Not that I'm saying invite the entire neighborhood to bond with Tito, but there's no reason you two can't bond with your little guy at the same time. OT...I saw Dylan's pic...what a cutie!!

peace~carolyn

"Your mind is the birthplace of ingenuity and then you need your heart as the Mediator..." ~Lil C
Re: Bond with two people? [Re: hipbchik] #593241
07/20/08 06:22 PM
07/20/08 06:22 PM
Tucson, AZ
hipbchik Offline
Glider Slave
hipbchik  Offline
Glider Slave

Tucson, AZ
One more thing to consider on the sleeping habits...true Gliders are primarily nocturnal, but given the opportunity, your glider(s) will adjust to your schedule. I work 6am-6pm most days, on my days off, my gliders are on the side of the cage BEGGING for out of cage playtime in the middle of the day. Why? because they heard my voice and know I'm not jetting out the door.

peace~carolyn

"Your mind is the birthplace of ingenuity and then you need your heart as the Mediator..." ~Lil C
Re: Bond with two people? [Re: hipbchik] #593246
07/20/08 06:29 PM
07/20/08 06:29 PM

T
Tito
Unregistered
Tito
Unregistered
T

Awww, thanks for the info. That is certainly good to know!!

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #593251
07/20/08 06:33 PM
07/20/08 06:33 PM

T
Tito
Unregistered
Tito
Unregistered
T

Hi Sari,

I can't wrap my mind around the Grammy thing. I guess it is better than Granny. help

Thank you for the compliment on the "boys". You are too sweet.

I'll have to work on Tito's schedule. Dylan and I have read everything we can find on sugar gliders but there is always more information and more to learn. This website has been a blessing in so many ways!

As always, thanks for your help!!!

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #593258
07/20/08 06:38 PM
07/20/08 06:38 PM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
Your welcome!
And, if you give me a better name, I'll use it! wink

wave Sari

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #593262
07/20/08 06:43 PM
07/20/08 06:43 PM
Tucson, AZ
hipbchik Offline
Glider Slave
hipbchik  Offline
Glider Slave

Tucson, AZ
I can't wrap my mind around the Grammy thing. I guess it is better than Granny. help

Can I ask what your name is? We can always call you by your name. A lot of people put their names in the signature line (you can create one on your Profile page). A lot of the old-school GC'ers still call me "c" because that was what my signature line said for YEARS!!

peace~carolyn

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: hipbchik] #593263
07/20/08 06:45 PM
07/20/08 06:45 PM

T
Tito
Unregistered
Tito
Unregistered
T

My name is Jenny. I will add it to my signature - good idea!

Thank you for your help and support!

Last edited by Tito; 07/20/08 07:03 PM.
Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #593278
07/20/08 06:58 PM
07/20/08 06:58 PM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
jump Hello JENNY, nice to meet you! jump

wave Sari

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: SariYappa] #593286
07/20/08 07:04 PM
07/20/08 07:04 PM

T
Tito
Unregistered
Tito
Unregistered
T

Hi Sari,

Nice to have you harrass me angel (I enjoy your sense of humor)

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #593315
07/20/08 07:39 PM
07/20/08 07:39 PM
Tucson, AZ
hipbchik Offline
Glider Slave
hipbchik  Offline
Glider Slave

Tucson, AZ
Nice to have you harrass me angel (I enjoy your sense of humor)

Uh oh...Jenny's fitting right into the GC family QUICK!!

peace~carolyn

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: hipbchik] #593317
07/20/08 07:41 PM
07/20/08 07:41 PM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
roflmao

wave Sari

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: SariYappa] #593321
07/20/08 07:43 PM
07/20/08 07:43 PM

T
Tito
Unregistered
Tito
Unregistered
T

I'll take that as a compliment (I think!) dance

Re: Bond with two people? [Re: ] #593324
07/20/08 07:46 PM
07/20/08 07:46 PM
Tucson, AZ
hipbchik Offline
Glider Slave
hipbchik  Offline
Glider Slave

Tucson, AZ
I'll take that as a compliment (I think!) dance

You should...it IS!!

peace~carolyn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024