Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Glider record books ? + emergency kits? #596090
07/24/08 07:38 PM
07/24/08 07:38 PM

B
BriteEyez
Unregistered
BriteEyez
Unregistered
B

Do any of you keep record books on your gliders?

I am a member of the united states pony club, and they have me do a record book (novel) on the horses I use. I'm so use to this its almost second nature..
I have deicded to start one for my gliders.. For instance I think it will be a good idea for when we go to the vet, or should I need to go out of state for an emergency. I could feel confident leaving them with a close friend should I have thorough instructions for them to follow.

I am curious to see if anybody else dose this? I keep seeing how "inexperianced" some vets can be.. And I feel having a book on hand to explain my wants and my babies basic critieria would be very useful!

Plus I'd like to print out some of the info I find here for further information. Just to be able to quickly referance it in an urgent situation. And also include it in a section in the record book.

Also. I am going to start compiling supplies for an e kit. Including E collars. I also have a first aide kit for my horse. And Its saved my butt a few times with her. In a case where my vet couldn't get there asap! smile

would somebody be willing to share with me an EXTENSIVE list of things they carry in an e-kit?

Better safe and overprepared than sorry with these little angels laugh

Thanks for any input guys!

Re: Glider record books ? + emergency kits? [Re: ] #596093
07/24/08 07:43 PM
07/24/08 07:43 PM

M
melissa9784
Unregistered
melissa9784
Unregistered
M

Thats a really good idea!
As far as the e-kit goes one of the members made this list
http://cynthia.garnes.com/Glider_Hospital/Glider_Hospital.htm.

Hope this helps.

Re: Glider record books ? + emergency kits? [Re: ] #596105
07/24/08 08:21 PM
07/24/08 08:21 PM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
I did see a record book on someones site, but can not remeber who! Hopefully someone else saw and will enlighten us, cause I really wanted to buy it. I have a small 3 x 5 file holder with a card & picture of each of mine with their oop date, if known and other info.

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: Glider record books ? + emergency kits? [Re: gliderma] #596141
07/24/08 09:29 PM
07/24/08 09:29 PM

B
BriteEyez
Unregistered
BriteEyez
Unregistered
B

My book will have everything from diet, proper portions, and acceptable treats. To their regular wake up times, growing and adult weights.. As well as pictures and descriptions! Just anything I can imagine I would want a stranger that knows NOTHING about them to know asap.

I have been in an emergency situation with my horse where my little (its not so little) record book saved us!
It listed every imagineable aspect of her I could put to paper. ..I should make a little video of it for an example. It might help me teach as well..

I am regularly asked to help teach unmounted clinics on recrod book keeping to the pony club kids. I'm simply a neat freak nut! And I love organizing things and learning!

Melissa9784, thanks for the link to the list! laugh were going out shopping tomorrow so I will try and pick up the majority of the list and supples to make ecollars. smile

Re: Glider record books ? + emergency kits? [Re: gliderma] #596150
07/24/08 09:44 PM
07/24/08 09:44 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Val (Jackie_Chans_Mom) has a record book;
http://stores.homestead.com/GliderPals/StoreFront.bok
(It is currently closed, but check back)

I can't find one of the old posts on GC that had pretty extensive Em Kit lists, so this should at least give you a start, here is what I keep in mine;

Glider Emergency Kit
* Saucer/snap e-collar – for use with heavier gliders and non-cloacal/tail SM.
* Shot glass e-collar - for use with normal sized gliders and/or cloacal/tail SM.
* Large straws – to cover tail in case of injury/SM.
* 0.9 Sterile Saline – for flushing wounds. This is different than Saline flushes you get from the vet, it is only to be used topically.
* Alcohol wipes – for wound/hand cleaning.
* Baby wipes, fragrance/alcohol free – for fur/hand cleaning.
* Neosporin – for topical use on non-emergency, small wounds.
* Cotton swabs – wound care, applying topical medications.
* Sterile gauze pads – wound cover/wound care.
* Small waterproof adhesive tape – to secure e-collar, and/or secure a splint.
* 1 inch self stick wrap – for use in bandaging/covering wounds, use with splint or protecting an injured tail.
* Styptic powder – to stop minor bleeding caused by toe nails trimmed too short.
* KY jelly – to keep male genitalia moist if not retracting.
* Side edge cut clippers – nail trimming.
* Small scissors – to clip loose threads or free little feet/nails in an emergency.
* 1cc sterile slip tip syringes – for use with oral medications and/or force feeding.
* 5cc sterile slip tip syringes – for oral use or sub-cutaneous fluids.
* 12cc sterile screw on syringes – for oral use or sub-cutaneous fluids.
* #5 French Catheter – for use when force feeding if you cannot get the glider to open his/her mouth. Used with an oral/slip tip syringe.
* Chicken baby food – can be used to force feed or as emergency/evacuation needs.
* Mixed Veggies baby food – can be used to force feed or as emergency/evacuation needs.
* Baby apple juice – can be used for minor dehydration (pushing fluids) or emergency/evacuation needs.
* Pedialyte – can be used for minor dehydration (pushing fluids) or emergency/evacuation needs.
* Bottle of water – for emergency/evacuation needs.
* Hand Warmer – in case of emergency travel in cold weather or to help warm a sick glider (always use a towel or fleece between the glider and hot pack).
* Instant heat pack – in case of emergency travel in cold weather or to help warm a sick glider (always use a towel or fleece between the glider and hot pack).
* Instant ice pack – in case of emergency travel in hot weather (always use a towel or fleece between the glider and the cold pack).
* Large fleece blankets – for handling gliders in an emergency or to burrito a glider in case of SM/feeding medications/force feeding.
* Plastic bowls – for isolation/separation or evacuation needs.
* Bird feeder dispensers – for feeding/watering a glider in an e-collar.
* Foaming hand sanitizer – for hand cleaning. NOT to be used on glider.
* Hospital/Isolation cage
* Human heating pad with thermostat - for use with heating hospital cage.
* Tweezers
* Tissues
* Cotton pads
* bonding pouches with windows (one for each cage)
* Lactacted Ringers Solution - subcutaneous fluids. You can ONLY get this from a vet and must be trained on how to properly administer sub-Q fluids to a small animal. Sub-Q fluids are ONLY temporary supportive care until such time as you can get your glider to a vet (ASAP).
* Needles to administer sub-Q fluids. You MUST speak with your veterinarian to determine the proper gauge of needle to use and how to properly administer sub-Q fluids. Sub-Q fluids are ONLY temporary supportive care until such time as you can get your glider to a vet (ASAP).
* Emergency contact information (vet, Emergency vet, Animal Poison Control, Secondary Contact for glider care)
* List of perishables and expiration dates. Check frequently and replace items as needed.
* Veterinary records, any other health records and weight charts.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Glider record books ? + emergency kits? [Re: sugarlope] #596165
07/24/08 10:11 PM
07/24/08 10:11 PM

B
BriteEyez
Unregistered
BriteEyez
Unregistered
B

Wow Sugarlope! Thank you so much! This is just great!

Ill pick up what I can from my local stores..
Hopefully I won't need anything for subQ'ing..ever!

The 1cc, 5cc, 12cc, and #5 catheter I bet I can pick up from either my local pharmacy store or my vets office.

This helped so much! laugh now I need to find a nice little tote to keep all of this in! My horse has lage tupperware bin FULL of her supplies tounge

Re: Glider record books ? + emergency kits? [Re: ] #596183
07/24/08 10:59 PM
07/24/08 10:59 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Val's book is awesome (we got to see one TGI brought to the ISS)! I was lucky to have had a glider emergency kit the last night, only I didn't need it for them, I needed stuff in it for me because I dropped a pair of cutters and took a huge chunk out of my calf and the kids have used all my bandaids tant So, neosporin, guaze and tape held me over till I drove to the ER for my stitches..

Re: Glider record books ? + emergency kits? [Re: BeckiT] #596195
07/24/08 11:19 PM
07/24/08 11:19 PM

B
BriteEyez
Unregistered
BriteEyez
Unregistered
B

Wow! Glad to know that suggie kits can be supplemented for people aide kits too! tounge

I have done that with my horses kit when I have hurt myself up at the barn in the past!

Oh how I hate (am deathly afraid of) ER's!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024