Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trichomonas #600656
07/31/08 08:55 AM
07/31/08 08:55 AM

S
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
S

Does anyone know about Trichomonas parasite?

I have been so careful with cleanliness, but I am having diarhea, so I might have it. I have a little opened wound on my finger that might explain it if I do. I mostly have it covered with a bandaid, but when my little one looked like he was dieing, I threw caution to the wind...didn't even realize I was treating him without the bandaide on...Anyway, I am a different story...

Does anyone know, what kind of procedure I should take in the house and stuff. Do they live on surfaces? These guys are new to me, so I have not sure how to or if I need to, change my normal cleaning products. And now with this thrown on top...I really don't know what to do...HELP help

Last edited by suggiesweatpea; 07/31/08 08:58 AM.
Re: Trichomonas [Re: ] #600682
07/31/08 09:28 AM
07/31/08 09:28 AM
Miami, Fl
reeny Offline
Glider Slave
reeny  Offline
Glider Slave

Miami, Fl
I am confused! Do you have the diarrhea or your gliders. I do know a little about trich. I got a glider recently that within two days started with diarrhea.

You need to get you suggies to the vet ASAP if you think they may have Trichomosis. It is present many times in the intestine, but during times of stress, (shipping, new home, etc.) will exacerbate and cause disease and diarrhea.
First you need to find out what you are dealing with. It could also be Giardia. A culture and sensitivity is needed.

I treated with flagyl for 2 wks. I kept my glider isolated and it has cleared. You need to be very careful not to spread it through your colony. I washed dishes separately, changed clothes, etc. Kept everything very clean.

As far as your self if you are having diarrhea. I would go to your Dr. also.

Reeny
&
"The Flower Patch Gang"

Blossom & Buttercup
Bella & Bug
Mona & Poppy
Hannah & Lucas
Petunia & Payton
Petals
Fiona & Fiorello
Lili & Tulip & Krinkles

www.moonovermiamigliders.com

Re: Trichomonas [Re: reeny] #600719
07/31/08 10:28 AM
07/31/08 10:28 AM

S
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: reeny
I am confused! Do you have the diarrhea or your gliders. I do know a little about trich. I got a glider recently that within two days started with diarrhea.

You need to get you suggies to the vet ASAP if you think they may have Trichomosis. It is present many times in the intestine, but during times of stress, (shipping, new home, etc.) will exacerbate and cause disease and diarrhea.
First you need to find out what you are dealing with. It could also be Giardia. A culture and sensitivity is needed.

I treated with flagyl for 2 wks. I kept my glider isolated and it has cleared. You need to be very careful not to spread it through your colony. I washed dishes separately, changed clothes, etc. Kept everything very clean.

As far as your self if you are having diarrhea. I would go to your Dr. also.

Both. They already are on meds. They went to the vet already..that is how I knew about it. Their not on flagyl, that is probably what I will be on. They are on something else the vet gave. Both have it, so I kept them together.

My question was more of what do I need to do around the house. Do they die outside the body, or if their pouch touched the couch, can someone get it from the couch. What precautions should I take and how do I disenfect? How worried do I need to be???

Re: Trichomonas [Re: ] #601533
08/01/08 07:28 AM
08/01/08 07:28 AM

S
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
S

I decided to go on the meds anyway to be on the safe side. Although I have good hygienne habits, I realized that I probably didn't have a bandaid on a but on my finger the other day when I was nursing Stitch to health... Doesn't mean I have it...but why take the chance.

I really wish that someone on here knew more about it.

Re: Trichomonas [Re: ] #601554
08/01/08 08:00 AM
08/01/08 08:00 AM

B
buttercup
Unregistered
buttercup
Unregistered
B

I would just keep everything as clean as possible and wash your hands as much as you can...esp, after handling your suggies or their cage, etc. You could play it safe(er) and take their toys out, if they are plastic toys, soak them in some hot water and bleach, wash fleece and hang outside to dry.

I don't know anything about trich...have you tried looking it up online?

I was getting what looked like zits on my body and went to the dermatologist trying to figure out what the heck it was (before suggies). Long story short, I researched whatever the name of it was (like a mile long name) and it turnsed out I was getting this bacterial infection from my discus fish tank. Since they need warm water...the heater with the de-chlorinated water caused it. I had to wear thick gloves if I had to clean the fish tank. And I figured it out without my Dr help...he said he didn't think it was the fish tank...but amazingly it cleared up within days of me not getting the tank water on my skin...

So...google away! I bet youll find some precautionary things to do while treating trich.

Re: Trichomonas [Re: ] #601563
08/01/08 08:17 AM
08/01/08 08:17 AM

S
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
S

Yeah, I tried. I think I am going to see if I can find some medical forum, or someone I can e-mail. My doc doesn't seem to know much about it, in fact, she thought the only real way to get it is the STD form of it.

I washed and disinfected the whole cage already, toys etc. I clean up every morning, but I will do some major disinfecting again, once they are on the med for at list a week. and then again once they have a clean bill of health before I put them back.

Oh, and I do really hot water and vinegar. Is that okay?

Unfortunely...we live in condo...they would fine us if I hung up to dry...I use pillow cases and dryer on low...sometimes hang in bathroom.

Do you know which site you used? The ones I found so far said nothing about getting it from animals...they haven't been much help...

Re: Trichomonas [Re: ] #601589
08/01/08 09:00 AM
08/01/08 09:00 AM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
one of our members (PeeperKeeper) had a long battle with trichs 2 years ago..

here are the threads in order, so you can see what worked for her (or didn't work..)
http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...long#Post156006
http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...vet_#Post156903
http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...elp_#Post157937
http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...Diet#Post164344

Re: Trichomonas [Re: BeckiT] #601599
08/01/08 09:12 AM
08/01/08 09:12 AM

S
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
S

THANKS!!!

Re: Trichomonas [Re: ] #601656
08/01/08 11:07 AM
08/01/08 11:07 AM
Miami, Fl
reeny Offline
Glider Slave
reeny  Offline
Glider Slave

Miami, Fl
Becki
Thankyou so much for posting those old threads. I am not sure I am completely done with the Trich yet. I found so much in common with those threads. Every morning I get up and inspect the poop. Although the repeat cultures and fecal float showed no more trich. There was still a little yeast. I treated this with Diflucan for 17days. I have been using Ameri-vet soluable 68. This was on recommendation of Peggy. It has all beneficial bacteria. I mix 2 tsp in a batch of HPW. I have been giving it to all my gliders for the last few weeks. So far my colony is clean. But I have definitely been obsessed with poop.

The other day I saw a few drips on the tray. I called the vet and we decided not to treat since the fecal float was clean. They said if we continue to treat it will make it harder for them to re-establish normal flora.

Suggiessweetpea I think the best advice I can give you is to keep everything clean. I made an isolation tent just for Rosebud. I clean all the trays daily, final wipe is with a clorox wipe. I was dishes separately. I handle Rosebud last and change clothes.

I am hoping and praying that this is all behind me. Still not really breathing easily. If you need any help don't hesitate to pm me.

Reeny
&
"The Flower Patch Gang"

Blossom & Buttercup
Bella & Bug
Mona & Poppy
Hannah & Lucas
Petunia & Payton
Petals
Fiona & Fiorello
Lili & Tulip & Krinkles

www.moonovermiamigliders.com

Re: Trichomonas [Re: reeny] #601689
08/01/08 11:59 AM
08/01/08 11:59 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Tric is HARD to get rid of. Daily sanitizing of the cage and all things IN the cage is necessary to prevent reinfection when the gliders wake up and start to play again.

This is difficult and very time consuming but extreme sanitary measure need to be used/taken to get rid of this. Antibacterial soap before and after you handle the gliders or their things. Wash the cage in a 10% bleach solution and rinse rinse rinse. Fresh pouches and toys daily and clean the dirty ones with the bleach solution.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Trichomonas [Re: Dancing] #601697
08/01/08 12:06 PM
08/01/08 12:06 PM

S
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
S

how easy is it for humans and cats to get?

does extreme cold kill it?

Re: Trichomonas [Re: ] #601716
08/01/08 12:23 PM
08/01/08 12:23 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
When I had Giardia in my colony, I bleached everything every couple of days. I would do the same with Trich. I don't think vinegar is strong enough to sanitize.

I believe that it is similar to Giardia in that it is contagious as long as moisture is present. I think if it dries out, then it is dead. But water or damp towels, clothing, etc. can harbor it.

If you have other gliders, I would visit with the other gliders first (always). And always change clothes/shower after seeing your infected gliders.

Because it is a parasite, it is transmissible to other animals and humans. Wash your hands thoroughly when coming into contact with anything that is theirs and I would not let any other animals into the room until they have come back negative for several months.

The thing with parasites is that they are always there - so you need to keep on top of testing. I have my kids tested every 2-3 months now and even though they all test negative at one point, it does not mean they are over it (but it doesn't mean it is a 're-infection' either, it just means they are shedding the parasite again and are contagious). All of my gliders but 2 have been consistently negative for the past 4 tests and one of them the past two. Treat accordingly and re-check often if you have a positive come up.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Trichomonas [Re: sugarlope] #601724
08/01/08 12:26 PM
08/01/08 12:26 PM

S
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
S

Is there any way to check at home?

Re: Trichomonas [Re: ] #601747
08/01/08 12:49 PM
08/01/08 12:49 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I don't know. I don't imagine it lives terribly long when not in a moist environment, so as long as you toss stuff in the laundry and don't let it sit (I would use bleach as well) I think you'll be ok. It was really scary for me at first also, but just keep up good hygiene with them and yourself (which it sounds like you do) and have them checked frequently. The thing that suprised me was the first reoccurence we had and my vet told me that because I had recently been treating them last time they were tested, the negative that came back didn't necessarily mean it was all out of their system, just that there weren't enough to show up. You should keep rechecking them periodically to make sure that the infection is not still active.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Trichomonas [Re: sugarlope] #601767
08/01/08 01:13 PM
08/01/08 01:13 PM

S
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
S

How come my doc doesn't seem to know this? The first thing she said...it's a STD...she never heard of someone getting it this way.

Re: Trichomonas [Re: sugarlope] #601769
08/01/08 01:14 PM
08/01/08 01:14 PM

S
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: sugarlope
I don't know. I don't imagine it lives terribly long when not in a moist environment, so as long as you toss stuff in the laundry and don't let it sit (I would use bleach as well) I think you'll be ok. It was really scary for me at first also, but just keep up good hygiene with them and yourself (which it sounds like you do) and have them checked frequently. The thing that suprised me was the first reoccurence we had and my vet told me that because I had recently been treating them last time they were tested, the negative that came back didn't necessarily mean it was all out of their system, just that there weren't enough to show up. You should keep rechecking them periodically to make sure that the infection is not still active.

When I said check..I meant is there something we can do at home to check and see if they still have it? I have a microscope. (used to homeschool so I have lots of great stuff)

Re: Trichomonas [Re: ] #602022
08/01/08 06:23 PM
08/01/08 06:23 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
This just occurred to me, there are two parasitic infections that start with 'trich' 'Trichinosis' is a type of larval round worm - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis

And 'Trichomonas' is a flagylate and is an STD in humans. I found a source that said Trichomonads can stay viable (live) for up to 24 hours in urine and water samples.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichomonads

If you ask your vet to show you what it looks like under the microscope, then you would know what to look for. dunno

~Gretchen

Re: Trichomonas [Re: sugarlope] #602259
08/02/08 01:07 AM
08/02/08 01:07 AM

S
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
S

thanks, I really appreciate that you took the time to find those sites.

He did show me...My little girl only had one on her smear..but my poor little boy had a bunch...

I think they are doing better though. Their stools are getting harder everyday!!!

Re: Trichomonas [Re: ] #602463
08/02/08 01:46 PM
08/02/08 01:46 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Originally Posted By: suggiesweatpea
I think they are doing better though. Their stools are getting harder everyday!!!

clap

~Gretchen

Re: Trichomonas [Re: sugarlope] #602672
08/02/08 07:19 PM
08/02/08 07:19 PM

S
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
S

Thanks again for those sites. I was able to get a good look at them. The pictures of the Trichomonas is what the vet showed me. Little round things dancing in circles. It definetly didn't look like a worm.

Re: Trichomonas [Re: ] #602682
08/02/08 07:33 PM
08/02/08 07:33 PM

J
joyce
Unregistered
joyce
Unregistered
J

I work for a Gyn and that is the only place I've ever heard of Trich. In our area of practice, it is a STD and is treated with Flagyl. I don't know anything about animals getting it.

Re: Trichomonas [Re: ] #602692
08/02/08 07:43 PM
08/02/08 07:43 PM

S
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
suggiesweatpea
Unregistered
S

I could be wrong, but the vet wrote it down for me and Trichmonas is why he wrote. Plus, when I look at images on the net, the trichomonas is what looks like the thing he showed me under the microscope.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 423 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,580 TEXAS
679,078 OHIO
487,159 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,689 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024