Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Ladymagyver. 03/28/24 09:57 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: Dancing] #604088
08/04/08 04:43 PM
08/04/08 04:43 PM

A
Amanda1981
Unregistered
Amanda1981
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Dancing
I see both the good (in theory) and bad with this whole idea. Karin...well...her stuff is just the tops. To even consider that she would need any type of "seal of approval" for her Pillow Pouch is just rediculous. Same with Alicia's Sissy's. Same with Gina's SuggleBunny pouches.

Some of the toys being made, well....I see potential problems with some of them and won't buy them because of it but other's don't see the same safty issues I do.

Sending out new items to be "tested"...well...take my custom sized reptariums. These require me to take them apart and resew them. I am not going to spend $80 to resew a custom sized reptarium to send "for free" to someone to be tested. But you are saying that my product would be less than safe or desireable because it wasn't "tested".

To have the suggestion that they be sent to more than one "tester"... What, is Gina supposed to make and send out "for free" three of her snuggle bunny pouches just so she can have some sort of "approval"? I've bought over 30 of her snuggle bunnies and I would trust anything that Gina makes to be safe.

There are many that use fleece that is substandard and it freys or pills. I personally don't use any fleece that is not anti-pill fleece. The other fleece pills and becomes a danger to gliders, regardless how well it is sewn.

For over 10 years now I've top stitched my corner hammocks and the rims of my pouches. I use tiny stitches and have never had a single problem with the stitching. The fleece wears out long before the stitching does. I don't see a problem with this but others would consider it to be less than safe because the stitching IS on the outside of the hammocks.

I've seen many people make fringe out of fleece. Well, depending on which direction the fleece is cut, it can become very stretched out and stringy and potentially dangerous for gliders. Cut the other way is safe.

And then there are those that may be less than honest that will send only their very best to the testers to get that "seal" only to revert back to sub standard sewing practices for the things they actually sell.

I think the "theory" of this is good but I honestly don't think the pratical part of this is good. Basically you are saying who is approved to make/sell and who isn't. I won't be submitting my reptariums to be tested so I suppose I won't be approved.

Teresa, I totally agree with the top stitching issue and the opinions and the lies... MAYBE there should be a picture posted before and after so that a "panel" can make the last vote?

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: ] #604089
08/04/08 04:45 PM
08/04/08 04:45 PM
Quincy, IL 62305
Lynsie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Lynsie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL 62305
Gina, without us knowing who you are referring to, we can't correct the problem.

Personally, I have never received an unsafe item from anyone on that list. If it's me, then speak up because I have never had any complaints and can't correct a problem if I don't know about it.

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: Lynsie] #604092
08/04/08 04:47 PM
08/04/08 04:47 PM

M
Monster
Unregistered
Monster
Unregistered
M

Lynsie, you know I'm not going to bring names into this - I just think this is flawed & more thinking needs to happen before it is carried out.

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: Lynsie] #604097
08/04/08 04:50 PM
08/04/08 04:50 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

Gina isn't talking about someone on the list.

Teresa, your concerns are absolutely legit. It does need some revision, but every good plan has a few things to be worked out, right? We can continue to pore out some ideas, and maybe something good will come up...

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: ] #604103
08/04/08 04:58 PM
08/04/08 04:58 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

Teresa, I just thought of a possible solution for your individual concern. If I were you, I wouldn't want to give away something I spent so much money making, either.
I'm sure your product is safe... why don't we have an option of either/or? It gets approved by a certain number of "normal people" or gets tested by the "experts". Since I'm sure your product is safe, you could probably find lots of people on here to testify to that fact, no?

It's hard to overcome dishonesty, though. Maybe we should have a "complaint address", or something where people with substandard products can come and complain about the "approved" maker. Send photos, etc., get it on the "watch list"... second complaint, you're off the approved list.

Edit: as far as the list itself, I'd be happy to have it on my site. Maybe someone can PM Ellen about getting the list on here, too?

Whistles... Edit again! lol: Like you said, it's a given that some people should be approved. That makes it easier if some of those "given" people have expensive objects that they don't want to give away. Although the idea of donating to a rescue after approval might soothe the nerves of these people.

Last edited by Mio; 08/04/08 05:08 PM.
Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: Lynsie] #604109
08/04/08 05:08 PM
08/04/08 05:08 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
I really do think this is a great idea but the logistics of actually organizing and DOING it are mind-boggling. There would need to be a comprehensive check-list of safety issues to look for. There would need to be an "added issues" area for testers to fill in just in case something falls through the cracks of the check-list. I think having the tiers of approvers would be a good idea, but then it would be weeks, if not months, before an individual product would be approved and by then, the vendor may not even want to make it anymore. I'm not saying we shouldn't do it, I'm just saying that if we get too complicated with it, it's never really going to get off the floor to begin with dunno Another factor that concerns me is that if a certain item is given the "seal of approval" what would happen if a glider ended up being injured by that item? Who would be responsible for the injury? The board of approvers? That's a liability I'm not very keen on, to be truthful frown Also, I don't think we could give "carte blanche" approval to a vendor after testing a few of their items - it would really need to be on an item by item basis so that individual items would get approval, not necessarily everything that a vendor makes. Participation by vendors would have to be voluntary and, as Teresa/Dancing pointed out, some items would be logistically hard to get approved for various reasons. It would really need to be kept to smaller items such as pouches, bedding & toys. Someone mentioned that some of the approvers may not even want the items that are sent to them. I know that I personally ONLY use items I have made myself or that KarIn or Gina/Monster made. I have tried a number of other vendors over the years, but since I like to keep my cages decorated with specific themes, it's hard to piecemeal the various components.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be negative about the idea - I just wanted to air a few thoughts that I've had while thinking about the whole idea.

And, I agree that a poll with polldaddy.com would be a better idea than doing it on LGG. Personally, I never go to any other board than GC, so I would not have the opportunity to participate in a poll if it wasn't in a "neutral zone".

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: sugarglidersuz] #604115
08/04/08 05:19 PM
08/04/08 05:19 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

Absolutely, Suz. You're right.

Not trying to get ahead of you guys, here, but if you do go through with it, you need a site dedicated to it, and a name. The Sugar Glider Approval People is a bit lame, to be honest. wink What I mean is, would you make it a freewebs site, like a lot of ours are? Or a legit domain name site, which costs cash?

And there should be a HUGE disclaimer, sadly, removing you from responsibility for the way the seller uses this status. Make sure people know that your system can be fooled, and make sure they know that there are people who will refuse to participate because of the time, cost, or other reasons, who are perfectly fine vendors.

Maybe there should be a required recommendation min. in ADDITION to the experts, so people don't send in their best work and then let it flop?

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: ] #604121
08/04/08 05:29 PM
08/04/08 05:29 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
Like you said, it's a given that some people should be approved.

Ok, so then how do you decide just who should be automatically approved?

There is one vendor that makes the cutest things and has many many very satisfied customers. They have never had a "problem" with anything yet but I see a potential for a problem and I would have to say their items were potential dangerous. This is a well known vendor and many would not agree with my accessment of their things.

For another issue as an example...key rings being used for toys. There are quality issues with the parts themselves. Some key rings are very strong and "solid" while others are weaker, spread open more easily and pose a risk to glider's toes. The same toy could be made with either. One would be safe, the other not. What if the vendor making the toy does not realize they got a "cheaper" toy part and sent out toys made with those parts. In essence, it isn't the same product now even though it looks the same. This new one isn't safe. This isn't necessary the vendor being dishonest, just not realizing the difference.

I think IF the bugs can all be worked out AND like Suz pointed out, the liability issues were resolved, this might be a good idea. I just think putting up the poll on LGG or anywhere else is premature. I think the bugs need to be worked out first. A solid "grading system" for the testers to follow for one.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: ] #604141
08/04/08 05:46 PM
08/04/08 05:46 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
There are alot of points to cover. I'll respond to what I can remember without having to look back over everything, lol.

Amanda, Cheryl wasn't put on the list because no one suggested her. If you like, I can add her. I'M not on the list because I'm a newbie and I wouldn't want to upset the older members by putting myself on the list.

As for sending in one of EVERY pouch a vendor has. Here was an example I gave on LGG: some of my animals pouches(such as my koala and monkey pouches) have pretty much the same basic design. Therefore, I think that it would be fine to send in one or the other and if that one is approved, then the others that are similar should be considered safe as well because I use the same sewing method on all of them. However, with my other pouches that are different, such as the elephant and fish pouches, then I'd have to send in those as well because there are other issues to be checked with those.

However, I think that it would really be up to the tester to make that call. If they have already seen some of the pouches from a vendor and feel that they're all the same basic design, then they can make the decision to approve them or not.

A reason I don't like the "point" system is because there shouldn't be any "kinda safe" stuff. It's either "Safe" or "unsafe", there's no in between. For example: if one of the point choices was "Stitching", how would you judge it? Would larger stiches get a lower score and smaller stitches get a higher score? :\ If it's safe, it's safe.

Whoever are chosen to approve bedding should get together and decide on certain "standards", such as stitch size, opening size(to prevent gliders from getting stuck), what fabrics can be used, etc...

Also, for each product that is approved, then the tester will have a section to add comments on what they liked about the pouches or what they think could be inproved on, etc...

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: Guerita135] #604189
08/04/08 06:26 PM
08/04/08 06:26 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
Safe" or "unsafe", there's no in between.

Yikes, I feel like such a negative nelly here...

Yes, there is an "inbetween". There are many things that I'd consider safe for TENT time, under supervision that I would not leave in a cage unsupervised.

someone posted...

Safe, Safe with Supervision and Unsafe. I think those cover about all of it.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: Dancing] #604223
08/04/08 07:27 PM
08/04/08 07:27 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
Originally Posted By: Dancing
Quote:
Safe" or "unsafe", there's no in between.

Yikes, I feel like such a negative nelly here...

Yes, there is an "inbetween". There are many things that I'd consider safe for TENT time, under supervision that I would not leave in a cage unsupervised.

someone posted...

Safe, Safe with Supervision and Unsafe. I think those cover about all of it.

I thought they were refering to toys, not bedding. :\

BEDDING would be for sleeping(which is why it's called bedding, heehee), so I think that there should only be "safe" and "unsafe". However, if somebody makes a TOY then I definately agree that there is a gray area that would be for "tent time only" toys. wink

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: Guerita135] #604285
08/04/08 08:55 PM
08/04/08 08:55 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Nicole - I tend to bunch bonding pouches into the bedding category as well, and a great many of the ones I've seen I would put into the "safe with supervision" category wink

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: BeckiT] #604314
08/04/08 09:46 PM
08/04/08 09:46 PM

A
Amanda1981
Unregistered
Amanda1981
Unregistered
A

I actually did suggest her. dunno

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: ] #604328
08/04/08 10:07 PM
08/04/08 10:07 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline
Glider Slave
ssdreamsicles  Offline
Glider Slave

kentucky
I think this is a good idea. How would this work for some one like me though. I would love to make more things but right now with trying to get this vet tech job and such i only make a cage set here or there and put on suggie bay. Or if someone comes to me wanting one ill make one but i dont make alot and sell right now. I want people to know my things are safe even if i only make a set here and there.

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: ssdreamsicles] #604340
08/04/08 10:20 PM
08/04/08 10:20 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

Teresa, I think we decide who those people are by their spotless reputations. GC members can easily testify to who those people are, though I think that if there are any naysayers to the individual, we should still have them tested.

Amanda, maybe you posted a recommendation on LGG, but I didn't see it on here? Forgive me if I've overlooked it. I think, though, that the ones listed cover it. I don't think anyone else should be added.

As a side note, I think that anyone who steals other people's work should not be approved. You may ask how we decide this, but I believe that by going back to the original maker it should be easy to prove, although, let's face it, some bedding/toys ARE going to be similar.

Nicole, that's what I was thinking. I don't believe that we should automatically approve everything if one item is safe, but some items are so similar that it would be a waste to send them all in.

I think it is a good idea because it will help people realize that they need to look for quality. Some people don't even realize that some bedding is unsafe at all- so it's not so much buying only from those on the list, as learning to watch for quality more.

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: SariYappa] #604373
08/04/08 11:06 PM
08/04/08 11:06 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
Ok, I made a new poll using polldaddy. Hopefully I did it right!

Here's a link to the poll:

http://www.justforfuzzies.com/vote

~Nicole~

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: Guerita135] #604389
08/04/08 11:22 PM
08/04/08 11:22 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

How many do you plan on choosing? 5?

There's still a lot to consider, even if we decide on the people....

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: ] #604402
08/04/08 11:33 PM
08/04/08 11:33 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
That's up to ya'll. I was thinking that 5 would be a good #, but it's not my decision to make. I simply put to choose up to 5 people, that way people didn't just vote for everyone, lol.

I figured that it would be best to choose those would would be "approvers" NOW. That way they'll be able to know who they aer and can confer with one another to decide exactly how this should be done.

~Nicole~

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: Guerita135] #604435
08/04/08 11:56 PM
08/04/08 11:56 PM

A
Amanda1981
Unregistered
Amanda1981
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Guerita135
Ok, I made a new poll using polldaddy. Hopefully I did it right!

Here's a link to the poll:

http://www.justforfuzzies.com/vote
schweet! Looks good! I'm on it.

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: ] #604449
08/05/08 12:12 AM
08/05/08 12:12 AM
Utah
S
silverwolf Offline
Glider Slave
silverwolf  Offline
Glider Slave
S

Utah
ok I do have a question with this. If you want to be approved do you have to send out to all 5 individuals or just one of them.

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: Guerita135] #604459
08/05/08 12:33 AM
08/05/08 12:33 AM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
Hello all.
I think whenever there is a new idea, and it potentially will affect everyone, that everyone's ideas should be heard. That said, you will always have people that disagree. THESE THINGS ARE ALL OK. That's what people are all about. Thank goodness we are not all the same smile

But I do think that moving ahead with this great idea, is very premature.
In my opinion, you don't have everyone agreeing on much of anything yet, but you are voting already... how can you do that? You don't know what they are looking for yet, so how can you say they are (or aren't) qualified to do the "job"? (i'm not pointing to anyone, I haven't even looked at the poll, and I don't know everyone anyway).

I see a few things that make me really want to remark. I've spent many years working as a Quality Assurance Manager and Director for 3 large companies, and I tell you, it's not just about being able to DO the work. It's about the system you have in place, the check list, and the feedback you are able to give the creator, to IMPROVE their potentially hazardous parts/items.

(now this brings up a whole new subject. You'll need a list of items that are "subjectable", As an example, lanyard. IF lanyard is a questionable item, the customer needs to decide for themselves if they choose to use it. Then lanyard is just listed as "this item uses lanyard" (this is not depicted as a positive, or a negative, just a fact)... you can have a whole page on a website dedicated to items that some people may question, along with links to the possible arguements. Just like grapes! Some people feed them, some people don't. There currently is no definitive answer. It's up to the customer!)

This should be good for everyone involved. You send something in so that you can get feedback on how to make your product safer... isn't that what you want as a vendor?

You don't have to give more than one of a particular item to be tested, even if it's tested by several people. They can test the same item, SHOULD test the same item. That's the point.

There is nothing to say that an item that is NOT "stamped" is not any good. Just if an item has been sent in, turned down, and NOT changed. And that can be easily fixed with a "not stamped yet" list, and you can only be put on the "not stamped yet" list if you choose to not comply with the rules. (you are aware of these rules UP FRONT, and agree to them before you send in your product) AND you get to put your comments on the same "not stamped yet" list, with your current responses to the areas in question. Then customers can choose for themselves if this is a non-issue to them.

If you item is too expensive to give away, you do NOT have to donate it. And that would be perfectly understandable. Like a suggie gym... And you CERTAINLY don't have to give more than one...

Last point, but definetly NOT least, NOBODY should ever be just "approved" because of their "stature"... I would think if you are a vendor, and you want the stamp of approval, then you WANT your items to be approved. This is for your customers, not yourself. If you are a business person, then getting things approved certainly will not offend you. (not pointing fingers at anyone, especially because I don't know anyone personally!) smile LOL

Everyone gets treated equally. Especially for new people, who don't know who has been around forever, and who is new. (i also don't believe that the length of time you are doing something is necessarily a given for the quality of your product, either way)
As a matter of fact, the testers do not NEED to know who the item is coming from. If it is something that is not immediately recognizable, then the info should not be passed to the tester until AFTER the feedback is given.

I have lots more idea, but I did this on a much larger scale, and I realize you don't want to get that involved like a big company, but if anyone cares about how it's done professionaly, then I have no problems answering some questions. And I don't mind when someone doesn't agree with me either... I don't expect everyone to agree... that would be boring! wink

Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in.

*Whatever I said, I said it with a Smile*

wave Sari

:grey:Sugar:grey:Nibbles:grey:Destiny

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Suggie Smart Mart *Home of The Hippie Pouch & Suggie Chandelier
Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: silverwolf] #604461
08/05/08 12:35 AM
08/05/08 12:35 AM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
No, you don't have to send it to everyone, just one.

However, it's been suggested that vendors who send their items to multiple testers should be given different stamps. For exmaple: send it to one tester and you'll get a normal stamp, 3 testers= silver stamp and ALL testers= gold stamp.

It's just one of many ideas that is floating around. wink

~Nicole~

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: Guerita135] #604467
08/05/08 12:43 AM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

Sari, I don't think they should be approved on "stature" but on spotless reputation. I mean, there are some products out there that no one doubts are safe, and it'd be a waste of time to test them, when most of the testers probably already own the item! wink
Although I agree that we shouldn't be biased against newbies- it's just that these newbies don't carry the certainty yet. For example, does anyone doubt that Val's products are safe? If they do, then by all means, let's have her send her products to someone else, but I think enough people will testify that her products are safe to give us certainty, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I am a lot.

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: Guerita135] #604469
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
WOW, that was a long post! frown (by me!)
please just take it with a grain of salt...

I see you are moving in a direction to get people to agree on something, and that wasn't listed when I started my post.

hug2

wave Sari

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: ] #604476
08/05/08 12:49 AM
08/05/08 12:49 AM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
Originally Posted By: Mio
Sari, I don't think they should be approved on "stature" but on spotless reputation. I mean, there are some products out there that no one doubts are safe, and it'd be a waste of time to test them, when most of the testers probably already own the item! wink
Although I agree that we shouldn't be biased against newbies- it's just that these newbies don't carry the certainty yet. For example, does anyone doubt that Val's products are safe? If they do, then by all means, let's have her send her products to someone else, but I think enough people will testify that her products are safe to give us certainty, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I am a lot.

Hi Brittany,
Well, here is my point. I see people talking about things like "I won't use names" or "they have been doing this a long time, and people love their stuff, but I don't think it's safe"...

We don't need people to disclose info past their comfort level, if everyone goes through the same process. Damage avoided smile

But more importantly, the new people that DON'T KNOW the people with these reputations. As a newby myself, HOW do I KNOW that Alicia's sissy pouches are so wonderful?? (I am using you as an example Alicia, but the funny thing is, that I just got one of your pouches! LOL)

I think, as a business owner myself, that I want my stuff to be approved the same way everyone else is. WHY would this be a problem to someone that has such a spotless reputation? I don't think it would, but then again, I too can be wrong! smile smile

Last edited by SariYappa; 08/05/08 12:50 AM.

wave Sari

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: Guerita135] #604480
08/05/08 12:51 AM
08/05/08 12:51 AM

K
Kaczie
Unregistered
Kaczie
Unregistered
K

This seems like a long process that in the end, will basically determine if you will have sales in the glider community or not. People are already worried about getting the stamp and what happens if they don't have the stamp. And with the bronze, silver, gold, I think that will further complicate things. Buyers will probably think a gold stamp is better than a bronze stamp and so forth. And if there is no stamp, better not buy there! It's hard enough being new in this community trying to sell stuff. I understand suggie safety is the main reason and agree it is important. You have to build a rep and that's fine but with the stamps, oh my. Now not only do I have to build a rep but now I need a stamp to further prove my stuff is worthy.

I thought it sounded good at first but it's getting complicated and just isn't sounding worth it to me.

And if you only send in one item, is that really enough to determine the quality of your work overall? Is ONE person's opinion on the "board" really going to have that much influence. I thought there would be a "board" so multiple people would try it out as they would each be testing something different. As Teresa mentioned earlier, some don't think alpine fleece is safe to use. What if someone sends in a pouch made out of alpine fleece and it goes to one of the people on the board that doesn't like alpine? I also stitch on the outside of my products but I feel I use a stitch small enough that the product remains safe. What if the one board member who receives my item doesn't feel the same? There's too many differing opinions on what is safe.

I'm starting to think it would just be better to make an organized site with descriptions on what to look for when buying safe bedding. Just a generalized list talking about the positives and negatives of each thing. IE, anti-pill vs. alpine, orings vs keyrings, etc.

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: ] #604483
08/05/08 12:55 AM
08/05/08 12:55 AM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
Hi Danielle,
I see your point, but I don't think anybody is saying ONE person will check out only ONE item. (hmm, or are they?) The point is that the same item, be checked out by many people (at least, that was my point).

Also, the example I gave with the lanyard, that would be where the different types of fleece come in. It will be noted "uses alpine fleece"... not as a positive, or a negative.

But then again, I'm only answering to what I posted

And, I love your idea of the website with all the info. That's a wonderful suggestion!

wave Sari

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: SariYappa] #604488
08/05/08 12:59 AM
08/05/08 12:59 AM

K
Kaczie
Unregistered
Kaczie
Unregistered
K

Quote:
For exmaple: send it to one tester and you'll get a normal stamp, 3 testers= silver stamp and ALL testers= gold stamp.

That's where I got it from.

I like the idea of coming up with standards on what's acceptable and what's not.

I think a website showing pros and cons would not only help buyers but would also help those that want to make bedding for personal use.

ETA: Sari, I also like how you mentioned everything should be kept private and the tester shouldn't know who the product is from so they can test it and not be biased. However, I'm not sure how that would work.

Quote:
In my opinion, you don't have everyone agreeing on much of anything yet, but you are voting already... how can you do that? You don't know what they are looking for yet, so how can you say they are (or aren't) qualified to do the "job"? (i'm not pointing to anyone, I haven't even looked at the poll, and I don't know everyone anyway).

Thanks for pointing this out. I don't know half the people on the poll. I've ordered from maybe three of them and the others I only know about from hearing about on the forums. I'm sure they make wonderful products but does that mean they are qualified? I don't know.

Last edited by Kaczie; 08/05/08 01:05 AM. Reason: spelling and ETA
Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: ] #604500
08/05/08 01:06 AM
08/05/08 01:06 AM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

That's an idea. Make a website that starts off as more of an information thing... and perhaps has a list of "recommended" vendors? Not with a "stamp", but just with the site's recommendation. That makes it to where those without the recommendation aren't condemned, and those with it aren't completely foolproof. And we aren't liable.

Perhaps people who've bought the products can write reviews there? Like on amazon, the little rating system with comments below?

Re: Glider Bedding "Approvers" [Re: SariYappa] #604502
08/05/08 01:09 AM
08/05/08 01:09 AM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Ohio
There would be multiple "testers", but you get to choose who you send your item to.

Also, whoever is chosen to be the tesers would put together a list of things that would be safe/unsafe. If alpine fleece is, indeed, unsafe, then it shouldn't be used on bedding. Personally, I only use antipill because I don't like the look of the alpine.

Anyways, the point is that everything would be laid out in stone BEFORE any of this begins, that way all the "Testers" would be judging by the same standards, no by opinions, but by what has been laid out as the standards for safety(minimum stitch length, no decorative stitching, no glue, etc...). If a tester has an OPINION then they cannot "disqualify" your product because of that. For example: some people use tabs, while others use grommets. Both are considered safe(NOT the zinc ones!) so it would not be fair for a tester to deem something unsafe simply because THEY think that grommets are dangerous.

That's just an example, but ya'll get the idea(hopefully, lol).

~Nicole~

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (mechnut450), 558 guests, and 64 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,161
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,630 TEXAS
679,102 OHIO
487,219 OKLAHOMA
432,217 UTAH
321,734 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024