Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HELP! I need your opinions #633446
09/11/08 01:15 PM
09/11/08 01:15 PM

R
RamseyLea
Unregistered
RamseyLea
Unregistered
R

Since I am pretty new to all of this, I need opinions on what to do. When I got my suggies last Friday, my female had a scab on her right shoulder blade (from mating)and the lady I got them from said she had taken her to the vet and she would be fine. Seeing the condition they were in when I got them (horrible cage, no accessories, only a pail to sleep in) I doubt very much that this lady took her to the vet. Anyways, I just went to go check on my suggies and clean up around their cgae and the female has an open wound again in the same spot except it looks kind of bloody and you can see flesh. I took pictures for everyone to see. Can anyone tell me what to do? I am pretty sure I will have to take her to the vet. I have been calling for the past 30 minutes trying to find a vet close to me that treats exotics. A lady from GC named Tammy said there was one that was in our area and I am going to get the name of that one from her. I know that some people treated these types of wounds with neosporin but like I said, I am new to this and I need any info I can get to take the very best care of my baby.

Stella 1

Stella 2

Re: HELP! I need your opinions [Re: ] #633449
09/11/08 01:19 PM
09/11/08 01:19 PM
Dallas, Texas
cbddallas Offline
Glider Lover
cbddallas  Offline
Glider Lover

Dallas, Texas
If it were me, I would call Suz! Her GC name is sugarglidersuz smile

Last edited by cbddallas; 09/11/08 01:20 PM.

Cindy, Wife to Dee and Mom to:
two beautiful daughters, Kendall & Reagan,
one handsome son, Dee IV,
one silly American Eskimo, Jasmine,
and our four gliders, the "big kids", aka Bella & Beau, and "the babies" Kandy & Kane, from Cora!
Re: HELP! I need your opinions [Re: cbddallas] #633451
09/11/08 01:22 PM
09/11/08 01:22 PM

R
RamseyLea
Unregistered
RamseyLea
Unregistered
R

Okay, thank you. I will try and Pm her. I just got off the phone with the vet's office and they told me to wash it with a very small amount of antibacterial soap and warm water and then put neosporin on it. Does this sound like the right thing to do?

Re: HELP! I need your opinions [Re: ] #633515
09/11/08 02:42 PM
09/11/08 02:42 PM

R
RamseyLea
Unregistered
RamseyLea
Unregistered
R

Well I just got done cleaning her wound and then put neosporin on it. So hopefully that will do for now.

Am I going to need to seperate my two? I know this is just normal mating ritual and resulted in this boo boo but what if he tries to mate with her again and bites the same spot? I know I probably sound like a dummy but this is my first experience with boo boo's and such and just need advice from people that have been down this road before! I don't want her wound to get any worse but I don't want to unneccessarily seperate them unless need be. ohwell

Re: HELP! I need your opinions [Re: ] #633522
09/11/08 02:49 PM
09/11/08 02:49 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Make sure you use the neosporin WITHOUT pain reliever

I would seperate them until the wound heals so he doesn't try to groom it.

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: HELP! I need your opinions [Re: SugareeErin] #633523
09/11/08 02:50 PM
09/11/08 02:50 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
hug2 hug2 Sorry you are going through this!

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: HELP! I need your opinions [Re: SugareeErin] #633533
09/11/08 03:06 PM
09/11/08 03:06 PM

R
RamseyLea
Unregistered
RamseyLea
Unregistered
R

Thank you, I appreciate that! Is this something that will continue to happen? My male is not neutered. I plan on neutering him, but I wanted to see if my pair would have a joey/joey's. I do not want to breed or anything, just wanted my couple to have kids and then have a sugar glider family (to keep). I would neuter him after that, if that even sounds like a good plan. So what should I do if he continues to tear her up while mating? I know that even with having him neutered that they can or will still mate.

Re: HELP! I need your opinions [Re: ] #633624
09/11/08 04:45 PM
09/11/08 04:45 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
IMO, I would not mess around with trying to see if this will happen again once she has healed. Based on what I've read, once a glider has received a mating wound, even after it has healed the male will either overgroom it or will re injure her again while mating.
This is not always the case, however, since this is not the first time this has happened, I feel that your male glider is more on the aggressive side with her.
You will need to keep her separated from him until the wound is totally healed.
I'm sorry that your little ones are dealing with this problem, and I do hope that things will resolve themselves.

Re: HELP! I need your opinions [Re: ] #633630
09/11/08 04:52 PM
09/11/08 04:52 PM

B
Brittney
Unregistered
Brittney
Unregistered
B

Originally Posted By: RamseyLea
Can anyone tell me what to do? I am pretty sure I will have to take her to the vet.

I LOVE the combination of those two sentences in a thread like this! It sounds like you really have the suggies' best interests at heart! You're doing great. I just recommend really looking into your vet BEFORE you take them. It's always a shame for someone to be dealing with a sick glider, only to make it to the vet, come home, post about it, and get responses that their vet did them wrong. A good vet will be familiar with sugar gliders specifically. Some vets often think they can "wing" it but end up doing it all wrong! You're doing great with the research you've already done! While noone here is a vet, there are people with vast suggie experience and that is worth it's weight in gold, espeicially in tight situations like this. I honestly would not wait to fix him. Plus, keep in mind suggies can have joeys in pouch AND in utero so you may not be able to fix dad fast enough! Plus, if this "romance" is as rocky as it appears, it might stress her out too much to have a successful and happy pregnancy/parenting experience anyway. All this, though, is likely best discussed with your vet when you take them in.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Re: HELP! I need your opinions [Re: ] #633651
09/11/08 05:21 PM
09/11/08 05:21 PM
Never Never Land
Sabrina Offline
Glider Guardian
Sabrina  Offline
Glider Guardian

Never Never Land
Ramsey ~ Please be prepared for what can happen if you do decide to let your pair mate again and have joeys. There have been so many posts of what can go wrong. Joeys can be rejected, born with birth defects, or even cannibalized. Speaking from experience, you will never get the picture of your glider cannibalizing her joey out of your mind. It's the most disgusting and traumatizing thing I have ever seen my glider do. But say everything goes smoothly, your gliders have a set of joeys and you get your male fixed. There's a 50/50 chance one of the joeys will be male. That male joey can mature and try to mate with Mom or sister. If that happens, you've just inbred. Are you really prepared for all of that?

Sabrina
Re: HELP! I need your opinions [Re: Sabrina] #633654
09/11/08 05:28 PM
09/11/08 05:28 PM

B
bdeese
Unregistered
bdeese
Unregistered
B

I would recommend seperating them as others have said until it is totally healed.He will continue to groom and mutilate the spot to try to "help" but in reality its worsening.

Honestly, neosporin isnot the best thing for very deep wounds.Luckily its not as bad as some mating wounds I have seen She may need some antibiotics if it worsens. Good luck hun!

Re: HELP! I need your opinions [Re: ] #633660
09/11/08 05:39 PM
09/11/08 05:39 PM

R
RamseyLea
Unregistered
RamseyLea
Unregistered
R

Thank you everyone for such great advice. I will definitely plan on getting him neutered ASAP. I just have to buy/find a second cage to seperate them. The cage we have now, we had to buy spur of the moment because the lady we bought them from had them in a HORRIBLE cage so we had to run out and spend $100 on a cage that I thought was better. Well this cage has 1 inch bar spacing so they can get out and that is not good. So we are buying a cage tomorrow off ebay after hubby gets paid. Because of the money going into the sugar gliders plus the second cage that they can get out of tant and now having to buy the new one, ugh.... I will have to find yet another cage to put my boy into. Don't take this as complaining, I will do whatever I have to do for what is best for my suggies. It is just starting to really break the bank, LOL. Does anyone know where I could get a good deal on a cage that would be suitable for my boy until he gets neutered and can go back in the same cage as my girl? I talked with a great lady from this site and she told me about her vet that has dealt with all her suggies and done her boys' neuters and she said they were fabulous and very knowledgable about gliders so at least I have a good vet for my babies.

Last edited by RamseyLea; 09/11/08 05:41 PM. Reason: spelling :)
Re: HELP! I need your opinions [Re: ] #634043
09/12/08 02:47 AM
09/12/08 02:47 AM
home
O
ORsuggiemomma Offline
Glider Slave
ORsuggiemomma  Offline
Glider Slave
O

home
I hope your gliders are doing well, have you tried craigslist? I got my cage off there when I got my first glider, it was only $20 and is bigger than the min. size for homing 2 gliders. so if ya ask me, that was a good deal. craigslist is amazing, try it!

hope you find something! how are your babies doing today?

Wifey to heart Frankstone heart
Mother to~ mloveNathan(5) and mloveDrea(3)
and slave to 4 perfect sugar gliders:glider:
Lightning
Mater
Trinity
Eilonwy
Re: HELP! I need your opinions [Re: ORsuggiemomma] #634046
09/12/08 03:01 AM
09/12/08 03:01 AM

G
glidernanny
Unregistered
glidernanny
Unregistered
G

One of my emergency/hospital cages came from freecycle-google it if you don't know what it is smile Of course it got a good bleachy pressure washing before it came in the house but I literally posted one morning and picked up the cage that evening, had it cleaned, sun dried and ready to use the next afternoon.

Re: HELP! I need your opinions [Re: ] #634064
09/12/08 05:53 AM
09/12/08 05:53 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Ramsey,
I did reply to your PM... I am going to post that reply here for the benefit of the rest of the board wink
Originally Posted By: sugarglidersuz
Ramsey,
First of all, Welcome to GC wave And... Congrats on your new gliders - thank you for rescuing them from a very bad situation hug2

I am going to post my reply to you in the thread, as well as here...

Yes, I do have experience with this type of wound. Sadly, I've dealt with it on two gliders - my glider DaisyMae had a recurring wound that took over a year to heal; my glider Mareki took about 2.5 months to heal. So what is it? It is what is commonly referred to as a "mating wound" and there are a number of things that need to be done to help it heal completely without infection complications. Right now, actually, it doesn't look too bad. However, she will need to be separated from her cage mate until the wound heals completely and the fur starts to grow back in. Why? Because otherwise her cage mate will try to "help" and will just continue to open it back up - making it worse each time until it is really bad and then they would need to be separated permanently (I know this from experience with my DaisyMae). In order to avoid permanent separation, it is better to separate them now. They will need to be kept separate for about 2-3 months (depending on how quickly it heals and the fur starts to grow back in). The reason you wait until the fur grows back is that the wound will look healed externally before it is done healing internally. You will know it's healed internally when the fur is growing back in.
Yes, you do need to bring her to a vet for treatment. The vet will probably prescribe an oral antibiotic in addition to a topical one called Silver Sulfadiazine Cream (SSD Cream). You may need to flush the wound with saline solution twice a day and then apply the SSD Cream after patting it dry. Your vet will let you know on that.
While your gliders are separated, you can allow them to have supervised daily visitation with each other so that they stay familiar with one another and won't need to be reintroduced after the wound is completely healed. You can also place their cages right next to each other so they can see, smell and hear each other during their separation.
If you have more questions, please feel free to let me know & I will try to answer them for you.
Now, to address another issue that has arisen within this thread...
Yes, you should have the male neutered ASAP and I'm glad you've already made the decision to get the male neutered! This is for a few different reasons. First, because he may continue to wound her when she goes into heat each month and recurrent wounds would be worse than the original one. Second, because you actually rescued these gliders from a bad situation. Rescued gliders really need to not be bred because of a number of reasons, First, previous poor nutrition can affect the mother's milk production adversely, resulting in rejected joeys. Second, previous poor nutrition can cause her body to become leached of calcium when she does try to produce milk, resulting in Hind Leg Paralysis - a health problem you do NOT want to have to deal with. Third, because frequently, in rescue situations, no lineage information on the parents is known - so there is no idea about whether or not they are related and inbreeding may be the inadvertent result, which leads to birth defects and health complications later in life in surviving joeys...
Again, I'm glad you've rescued these little ones from a bad situation - you are now their glider angel gangel

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: HELP! I need your opinions [Re: sugarglidersuz] #634228
09/12/08 11:20 AM
09/12/08 11:20 AM

R
RamseyLea
Unregistered
RamseyLea
Unregistered
R

I appreciate that and I am glad to have them in a home where they are loved and cared for and treated like my own children grin I didn't even realize I was rescuing them until I had seen what kind of cage they were kept in. And also when the lady told me she didn't feed them ANY kind of insects because the bugs were too "icky" for her ohwell Poor babies, but at least they will have their happy ending because they are MY babies now!! My girlie can't get into the vet until Tuesday and today I am going to call and get my boy's appointment for his neuter. Hopefully after this is all taken care of and Stella's wound heals, they can be back together and not hurt each other. Again, thank you for all of the wonderful advice. You guys have helped out alot!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 393 guests, and 110 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,597 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,175 OKLAHOMA
432,184 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024