Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets #635749
09/14/08 03:38 PM
09/14/08 03:38 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

My sister was at a fair recently and saw a booth by Perfect Pocket Pets selling sugar gliders. After reading the brochure from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets that my sister brought home, I was very interested in getting a sugar glider. After Google-ing around, I found a few complaints about (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets and comments on their reputability. So my question is: What's the deal with (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets? Would they be a good place to get a sugar glider? If not, where would be a good place? How much of (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets's information is misleading, if any? etc, etc.

Thanks for your time,

Taylor

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635751
09/14/08 03:44 PM
09/14/08 03:44 PM

C
Celeste
Unregistered
Celeste
Unregistered
C

NO! They are not a good place to get a glider!

Almost all the info they give you on the care of a glider is WRONG. They do not use heat rocks, they can not use leashes and harnesses, and they have to have a much bigger cage then they reccomend. They also can not have pellets. They are a mill breeder, and have sold gliders before they were weaned. Many of the gliders they sell are sick upon buying, and they soon die. frown Also, other animals WILL eat a glider. They claim since they are marsupials that they dont smell like rodents, so pets arnt intrested. That isnt true. And, gliders are awake at night. They do not usually like to be woken up during the day at all

As for a reputable place to buy one, you should find a breeder. I suggest your relearning, because nearly everything at (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets is wrong. A lot of breeders will ask questions to know how well you know gliders, to make sure there babys go to good homes.

Kudos to you for double checking!!

Last edited by Celeste; 09/14/08 03:45 PM.
Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635753
09/14/08 03:46 PM
09/14/08 03:46 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

That's... disappointing to hear. Do you have any references on a factual website that I could use to read up on gliders and decide on whether or not to get one?

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635759
09/14/08 03:56 PM
09/14/08 03:56 PM

C
Celeste
Unregistered
Celeste
Unregistered
C

It's very sad to hear. I can't believe they would treat gliders so badly, and give out so much wrong information frown

There is tons of info here, and if you have any questions you can ask someone.

http://www.suzsugargliders.com/sugarglidersasapet.htm

Here is another good site.

Here's some real facts on gliders for you;
-They can live up to 15 years.
-They need an APPROVED diet (Theres links above). That consists of fresh fruits, veggies, and a 'staple' diet like BML or HPW.
-They need large cages! A minimum of 3ft high, 2ft deep, and 2ft wide.
-They do best in pairs.
-They do need to be taken to the vet yearly for a wellness exam.
-They can bite.
-Males will often spray to mark territory.
-Gliders will also potty on you.

Thats just a highlight, theres so much more. But I think they are worth all the 'trouble'! Theres plenty of good stuff to go along with them...Like how adorable they are gliding arond back and forth in a cage! Or how cute they are when they eat...and well, lots of stuff!

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635763
09/14/08 04:01 PM
09/14/08 04:01 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

Thanks for the link. I'm going to go read through it and then get back to you with a few questions. Thanks for your help and time.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635764
09/14/08 04:02 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

Yes, I second what Chrissie says. We have seen so many posts of people who have adopted gliders who are way too young or very ill from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets and are told information that is not only faulty but potentially dangerous. Some folks are trying to gather evidence to get them shut down. If your sister ends up having any health problems with her glider, please direct her here...or direct her here anyways for help...because they likely told her a lot of incorrect info.

I learned most of what I know about gliders by reading threads here on this site. (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets gives incorrect info about diet that would lead to health issues. They also usually fail to mention that gliders do best when they are not kept alone, they are social creatures. They require a lot more care than a "hamster." And if your sister has a heat rock, please have her remove it from the cage. Ceramic heat lamps outside the cage for warmth are great, but inside the cage her glider will burn itself frown

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635765

C
Celeste
Unregistered
Celeste
Unregistered
C

No problem. You can also PM me, or just post your questions and people will gladly answer them!

Good luck, and I'm glad you decided to look things up.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635771
09/14/08 04:24 PM
09/14/08 04:24 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

I've just finished reading through that website. I suppose my main question is - do sugar gliders really make good pets? Do they like to ride around in pockets or pouches during the day? If so, how do they handle different environments, including mildly noisy ones like school classrooms to louder ones like large grocery stores?

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635773
09/14/08 04:29 PM
09/14/08 04:29 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

gliders make fantastic pets.... for the right person. They'll ride with you all day, and play with you all night... but they also pee and poop all over you, smell a bit like ferrets, and love to cause mischief.

Read on my website below. It's a good source of basic info, and be sure to read on diets especially.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635777
09/14/08 04:36 PM
09/14/08 04:36 PM

C
Celeste
Unregistered
Celeste
Unregistered
C

It really depends on what you consider a 'good pet'. If your looking for something easy like say, a hampster..This isn't the pet for you.

some gliders will ride around in your pocket, or bra all day. Other's don't. It depends on the glider. Remember they sleep during the day, so usually if you are carrying them around they could care less and sleep through it, but it all depends on the pet as i said.

They will pee and poop on you, and sometimes you'll get bit (Especially when you are first getting used to each other.). I personally think they are adorable, and I've got the time and resources to take care of them properly. Remmeber you have to keep them for 15 years...That's a commitement! If you do want to get one, please do lots of research before hand.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635782
09/14/08 04:48 PM
09/14/08 04:48 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

Good news for those concerned, my sister didn't actually purchase a glider from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets and certainly won't be doing that now.

As for ease of care, that's not something I'm particularly worried about. 20 minutes a night to make dinner for them, and a few minutes every several days cleaning pouches and bedding and such, wouldn't have an impact on me.

As for gliders relieving themselves, when does this happen while they're on you? If you were to say, have a glider in a pocket with some fleece in it, what would happen? Do they urinate or defecate enough to require immediate cleanup? Foe example, if I were to have a glider with me during the school day, would I need to excuse myself from class and get it cleaned up? Furthermore, how would a glider handle the moderate noise of a school environment while it is sleeping in a pocket or pouch on your person?

A post above mentioned that some gliders are content to ride with you in a pocket or pouch for 5 hours, and some aren't. How do you go about figuring out what your glider will do? When you first get the joey glider, would there be any sort of way to tell the glider's inclination?

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635789
09/14/08 05:04 PM
09/14/08 05:04 PM

C
Celeste
Unregistered
Celeste
Unregistered
C

Your not factoring in play time, which has to be at LEAST an hour each night. ITs referred to as tent time, or bathroom time. Basically you glider proof a room and let them fly around and play for at least an hour every night.

Some gliders won't potty where they sleep. Some will crawl out onto your shoulder, potty there, then go back in your pocket to sleep. The easiest way to fix this is carry a extra set of cloths with you just in case.

Now, are you a teacher or a student? If your a student I dont recomment bringing them, since your teachers may not let you out of class, and in some schools you arnt allowed to bring animals. As for the noise, it kind of depends on the glider. Some would ignore it, but it might scare others.

No, you dont just know when you get them. (Also, make sure you dont get sold a glider under 8 weeks OOP!) I would do this by taking them on small errands during the day, and slowly adding the time up. You can also bring a small travel cage for long time trips, incase the glider gets restless.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635797
09/14/08 05:11 PM
09/14/08 05:11 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

I'm a student at a private school with 5 hour days. As for animals being allowed, I'd definitely discuss it with them first.

I'm starting to get a little more interested in gliders. How much do they cost, where could I get one, and how do I know if I should adopt(rescue) or purchase?

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635800
09/14/08 05:15 PM
09/14/08 05:15 PM
Navarre, Florida
happygypsymoth Offline
Glider Lover
happygypsymoth  Offline
Glider Lover

Navarre, Florida
I have a friend who bought a Glider from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets at the Iowa State Fair. It died the next day. She took it back and got another one. It died two days later! And Giardia is NOT Normal in Gliders!

Taking them to school is not a good idea. Even if you think they are safe in your pocket, these smart little guys can figure out a means of escape! Better safe than sorry. And crowds or loud noises could be very traumatic for them. (Like a fire drill.)

Our pack of 14:
2 Humans,5 Chihuahuas,7 Suggies(the Suggies definately rule!)
RIP Grace 12/12/12 Harmony 1/17/13 Turbo & Everest 2014
Forever Gliding High, together!

Save a Kid! Close the Lid!
And Check your Pouches Daily!
Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: happygypsymoth] #635802
09/14/08 05:17 PM
09/14/08 05:17 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted By: happygypsymoth
I have a friend who bought a Glider from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets at the Iowa State Fair. It died the next day. She took it back and got another one. It died two days later! And Giardia is NOT Normal in Gliders!

Taking them to school is not a good idea. Even if you think they are safe in your pocket, these smart little guys can figure out a means of escape! Better safe than sorry. And crowds or loud noises could be very traumatic for them. (Like a fire drill.)

No fire drills here, so that wouldn't be a problem. I'd definitely do a few trial runs to test things out, and see how the glider dealt with the environment, and have a way to get it back to my home if things went severely downhill.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: happygypsymoth] #635804
09/14/08 05:22 PM
09/14/08 05:22 PM
Navarre, Florida
happygypsymoth Offline
Glider Lover
happygypsymoth  Offline
Glider Lover

Navarre, Florida
A rescue is only good if you get it from a reputable Rescue Home, and they know the history and temperment of the Glider. You don't want to end of with a sick Glider that you don't know how to care for.

A pet store is also not good. Some only want to make money and don't even know how to care for them!

Georgia has just recently become a Sugar Glider Legal State, so there probably aren't any reputable places there to get any yet. Your best bet is a surrounding state.

Ask around here or South East Sugar Gliders http://sesg.suggies.net/index.php
about aquiring your new "kids".

And be warned! Suggies are addictive!!!

Our pack of 14:

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: happygypsymoth] #635807
09/14/08 05:27 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

I suppose my best bet would to try asking someone around here?

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635809

C
Celeste
Unregistered
Celeste
Unregistered
C

They can cost anywhere starting at $100, going up to $2000 for a white glider(Leu). Since they just became legal there you might have to look in an area in Florida, or get a glider shipped (Which some breeders would NOT do, and I dont suggest it.). It may involve driving a good ways to get one.

As for rescues, that was answered ^_~

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635810
09/14/08 05:28 PM
09/14/08 05:28 PM

C
Celeste
Unregistered
Celeste
Unregistered
C

Sorry for the double post.

Yes you can try that, but people will quiz you and are picky about where there babies go home to (Well, a good glider breeder is anyways!) So be prepared. Dont just jump into getting one, take your time.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635812
09/14/08 05:34 PM
09/14/08 05:34 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

I'd really like to just meet a breeder and a few gliders and see how things go, if I like the animals themselves, etc, and then start taking a look at expense and my ability to properly take care of one.

Thanks for the information, everyone. You all have given me a lot to think about. I'll make a few more posts later after I've chewed on everything for a while.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635815
09/14/08 05:38 PM
09/14/08 05:38 PM

C
Celeste
Unregistered
Celeste
Unregistered
C

Good idea. Im sure a breeder would be willing to let you visit and meet a glider of theres. Then they could helkp explain there care more.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635819
09/14/08 05:42 PM
09/14/08 05:42 PM
Navarre, Florida
happygypsymoth Offline
Glider Lover
happygypsymoth  Offline
Glider Lover

Navarre, Florida
Just in case you are interested, I visit relatives in Milledgeville, GA,(about 2 hours from Atlanta) a couple of times a year. If you would like to meet a couple of my Suggies, I could bring them, next time I am up. I do not sell Suggies, this would just be for you to visit with them and see what you think.

Our pack of 14:

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635823
09/14/08 05:45 PM
09/14/08 05:45 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

As mentioned above, there probably aren't any good breeders in Georgia yet, so I'd have to travel to Florida, Alabama, or Tennessee. Do you know anyone in these areas, or someone who might?

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635874
09/14/08 07:12 PM
09/14/08 07:12 PM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
wave Welcome to GC! So glad you asked.

I knew it would only be a matter of time before (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets jumped into GA. shakehead

I'm not sure of any breeders or rescues close by, but if you needed it, I'm going to GA (Ackworth/Kennesaw) in November. If you needed someone to bring it to you I could. smile Just to throw that out there lol.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: glidergrl1513] #635875
09/14/08 07:13 PM
09/14/08 07:13 PM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
Also, I do believe the law in GA says that the glider must come from a USDA licensed source, so keep that in mind.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: happygypsymoth] #635962
09/14/08 08:50 PM
09/14/08 08:50 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted By: happygypsymoth
Just in case you are interested, I visit relatives in Milledgeville, GA,(about 2 hours from Atlanta) a couple of times a year. If you would like to meet a couple of my Suggies, I could bring them, next time I am up. I do not sell Suggies, this would just be for you to visit with them and see what you think.

Thanks for the offer! I'm going to keep looking around and see what comes up. I might take you up on that.

Originally Posted By: glidergrl1513
Also, I do believe the law in GA says that the glider must come from a USDA licensed source, so keep that in mind.

That could make things a little more difficult trying to get a glider. Thanks for letting me know.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I forgot. Since gliders like to be kept in pairs, how do I get them together and interacting properly?

Last edited by Taylor422; 09/14/08 09:07 PM. Reason: Added information
Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635973
09/14/08 09:12 PM
09/14/08 09:12 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Here are a few links that will help with introductions.
Introducing Gliders
Introducing Two Gliders

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635975
09/14/08 09:13 PM
09/14/08 09:13 PM

C
Celeste
Unregistered
Celeste
Unregistered
C

Buying a brothers or sisters works well, then you dont have to quarantine. Otherwise you have to seperate for 30 days before introducing.

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635981
09/14/08 09:21 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

I assume a breeder I found would be able to sell me a pair of brothers or sisters?

Re: Hello and questions about Perfect Pocket Pets [Re: ] #635982
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Just a reminder, if you do choose to get a brother and sister you will need to have the male neutered to prevent inbreeding. If you get two males, it's also suggested that you have them neutered to help with possible aggression, over marking issues.
Neutering Facts

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024