Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
stealth wheel? #640203
09/20/08 09:55 PM
09/20/08 09:55 PM

C
Crafts_Critters
Unregistered
Crafts_Critters
Unregistered
C

Where can you find the stealth wheels and what makes them better than wodent wheels?

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: ] #640210
09/20/08 10:03 PM
09/20/08 10:03 PM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
You can buy a Stealth Wheel right from the maker:
www.atticworx.com

They're bigger, quieter, last longer, sturdier, and allow the gliders to leap in them (which is more natural than just running on a flat surface). Those are the biggest things for me.

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: glidergrl1513] #640286
09/20/08 11:14 PM
09/20/08 11:14 PM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
They're also much safer. There's no cross bar that gliders can get their tails caught on or injure their backs.

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: ] #640312
09/20/08 11:37 PM
09/20/08 11:37 PM
Florida
edward Offline
Joey Member
edward  Offline
Joey Member

Florida
Originally Posted By: Crafts_Critters
Where can you find the stealth wheels and what makes them better than wodent wheels?

Good thing you are seeking info considering you already have 30+ gliders!! wink

From the Wodent website

Quote:
The only exercise wheel recommended and approved by the ASPCA during their Seal of Approval program (1999-2006).

and further on their page

Quote:
A couple times over the years we've heard of sugar gliders "getting their tails caught" by the axle of a wheel. At first thought this sounds fairly impossible - after all, the axle isn't spinning; it's stationary relative to the cage (and the glider), it's the wheel that's the only thing spinning. If the glider is running along in a "conventional" mode, this is true and all is well in the world. However, if the glider likes to stop short and do a loop-the-loop while the wheel spins on - while at the same time grabbing the axle with his tail, he could be setting himself up for a good tail-yanking. This appears to be a pretty rare situation, but the best suggestion we've heard is that covering the axle with a freely-rotating plastic tube, such as a short piece of pvc pipe, will prevent this. In fact, we like this idea so much, we've added such an item (Glider Guard) to our Replacement Parts page. You can get one for free, and there's no shipping charge.

As anyone who own gliders knows, two gliders produce ten times the chaos as one glider. If you have two gliders who run together, it's strongly recommended that they do this under supervision. (It's certainly safest that they run individually.) Gliders have been known to do crazy things like link their tails things while running - NOT good.

it's great you are doing research; you might want to check the websites for the products you are intending to buy and get the facts

clap

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: edward] #640340
09/21/08 12:03 AM
09/21/08 12:03 AM

C
Crafts_Critters
Unregistered
Crafts_Critters
Unregistered
C

Thank you for the responses.The reason the question comes up is due to the rise in complaints we've heard from a variety of owners to include those listed here.

Our initial research at the time lead us to purchase additional wodent wheels for our, 30+ gliders wink?? when our colony began to expand.

We had not heard anyone say much about the stealth wheel.

Opinions are everywhere but being that this site has a lot of combined knowledge vs others I am posing the question. We had no injuries to date with the wodent wheel; but, we don't want injuries in the future or for our customers. So if the stealth wheel is the better of the two, that's great news! I don't take forum posts as gospel, but, they aid in making decisions.

Last edited by Crafts_Critters; 09/21/08 12:05 AM.
Re: stealth wheel? [Re: ] #640362
09/21/08 12:21 AM
09/21/08 12:21 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
I have both wheels, actually three different ones. Some of my gliders prefer the wodent and some prefer the stealth. I also have two gliders who will not use anything except the plastic comfort wheel you can purchase at PetsMart. That has got to be the loudest wheel on the face of the earth but they love it, so I keep putting vasoline on it to try and keep the noise down ohwell

Over the years I have seen a couple of posts where a glider was injured using the wodent wheel. I believe they were tail injuries. I honestly cannot say I remember a back injury but that does not mean there hasn't been one. My gliders have never had a problem using the wodent nor have there been any problems with the stealth.

I personally prefer the stealths because they are much easier to clean and are pretty much silent. I just happen to have some picky spoiled rotten gliders that I do indulge, thus the three different kinds of wheels dunno

Hope this has helped.

Last edited by KarenE; 09/21/08 12:22 AM.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: KarenE] #640464
09/21/08 03:49 AM
09/21/08 03:49 AM

C
Crafts_Critters
Unregistered
Crafts_Critters
Unregistered
C

Thanks all for the information.

I believe there was one issue regarding the mesh track on the stealth wheel and the possibility of them injuring their feet when they're running fast on the wheel. But that's been a while since that came up and nothing else. Have any of the stealth wheel owners had issues with the stealth wheel causing injuries?

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: ] #640465
09/21/08 04:02 AM
09/21/08 04:02 AM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
I haven't heard of any that have, but that doesn't mean that it hasn't happened, by any means.

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: konotashi] #640613
09/21/08 01:02 PM
09/21/08 01:02 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: Crafts_Critters
Thanks all for the information.

I believe there was one issue regarding the mesh track on the stealth wheel and the possibility of them injuring their feet when they're running fast on the wheel. But that's been a while since that came up and nothing else. Have any of the stealth wheel owners had issues with the stealth wheel causing injuries?

I have never heard of a glider getting injured using a stealth, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. You say you heard of one issue and that may well be but I that doesn't warrant throwing a product under the bus. If my memory serves me correctly, there have been issues with just about every glider related product even if they didn't cause injury. That's what getting it right is about.

I suppose if you dig long enough and hard enough, you can find a negative with every single product out there.

You can bet if a product is deemed unsafe for gliders, that vendor will not be in business very long. Anita has been selling stealths for a long time. In fact, people wait anxiously for them when there is a slow down in production.

YOU just need to decide which one is best for your gliders or rather let your gliders decide which they prefer roflmao

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: KarenE] #640641
09/21/08 02:09 PM
09/21/08 02:09 PM

C
Crafts_Critters
Unregistered
Crafts_Critters
Unregistered
C

KarenE;

Quote:
You say you heard of one issue and that may well be but I that doesn't warrant throwing a product under the bus.

Please don't take this as my intention to trash the stealth wheel confused? I'm not good at these forums; I don't know if I'm saying something bad or good.

We've contacted the company expressing interest in the stealth wheel. Also, their travel cages for evacuations due to emergencies (for gliders and all my small pets). We have carries but their not standard and could not be stacked in a vehicle quickly in the event of emergency or an evacuation. I'm not going to avoid a product over one negative review. Everyone of my gliders have wodent wheels but I get concerned when I watch them running and then read and hear the stories it does worry me. So the only natural reaction is to look for a safer product.

A lot of people on this board have a lot more experience than I so I look for opinions from other owners/breeders. I started asking around again because of more stories coming out regarding gliders getting their tails caught in the bar on the wodent wheel. It was a breeder here in Virginia that indicated she had an issue with stealth wheel. The only real evidence is the opinions of many owners vs one. Which is why I turned here.

Correct, any product has issues. I only want the best product for them.

Quote:
YOU just need to decide which one is best for your gliders or rather let your gliders decide which they prefer

You're absolutely right smile. That's true of all my gliders. They have their own unique personalities and toys they love to play with. Some like the wheels and some don't.

So we're looking at purchasing some of the stealth wheels and see how they work.

Last edited by Crafts_Critters; 09/21/08 02:10 PM.
Re: stealth wheel? [Re: ] #640655
09/21/08 02:40 PM
09/21/08 02:40 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I had one of the earlier versions of the Stealth, it has been a favorite of my kids (as I knew it would be when I saw one of her first at the 2003 SGGA). I have never had a problem with the Stealths, ever.

I hadn't had problems with the Wodents until they changed their design several years back. I still have two Wodent wheels that are 7 years old. But when they went to the lighterweight track, I have had the tracks come out of the wheel a few times while they are running in them, so don't use the 'new' wheels in cage, instead keeping them for tent time. I have a glider that I am *pretty* sure lost the end of his tail to the center bar, I think this because he got caught on it (I assume again) several months later, but I heard him this time. Why they were fine for 6 years and then he decided to do it, I will never know. shakehead But that is when I took the Wodents out of my cages for good.

I had heard talk about the center PVC piece, but didn't know where to get it, and hadn't heard much at the time, so yes I have them now, and maybe everyone can say it was my fault for not getting one to begin with, but it isn't my only problem with Wodents, so say what you will. Either way, once you have gone through that, and have replaced all of your Wodents with Stealths, it is really hard to want to put them back into the cages. I do still use them (PVC in place), but only as supervised toys now.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: stealth wheel? [Re: sugarlope] #640661
09/21/08 02:54 PM
09/21/08 02:54 PM

C
Crafts_Critters
Unregistered
Crafts_Critters
Unregistered
C

sugarlope;

Looks like it's pretty consistent regarding the complaints about the Wodent wheel. Other than just I heard this person, over heard this person, and so on.

I hope to hear from atticworx soon regarding the two products they offer. Granted nothing has happened with Wodent wheels -yet- it is the "yet" we want to avoid.

Thank you all so much!

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: ] #640676
09/21/08 03:19 PM
09/21/08 03:19 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I have to say, I have had one glider die while playing on a Stealth. I think though this is a unique and "freak" accident.

There were two gliders in the cage both playing on the Stealth at the same time. One running IN the wheel while the other was "riding" on the wheel. (as many of our gliders do).

The one riding was a tripod glider, missing half of one of his back legs (so no foot to grip with).

What I believe happened is he was riding the outside of the wheel while his mate was running on the inside. I think he lost his grip with his good back foot causing his body to hit the cage floor on the downward rotation of the wheel, causing him to break his neck.

I want to say, this was NOT THE FAULT of the Stealth but a freak accident. I do think though that if the stands were made even 2-3 inches taller, this particular accident wouldn't have happend but that is speculation too.

I have changed all the stands on my wheels so they are 3 inches taller (or more) OR are hung in the cage towards the top.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: stealth wheel? [Re: Dancing] #640757
09/21/08 05:52 PM
09/21/08 05:52 PM
Florida
edward Offline
Joey Member
edward  Offline
Joey Member

Florida

Originally Posted By: Dancing
I have to say, I have had one glider die while playing on a Stealth. I think though this is a unique and "freak" accident.

So gliders getting hurt on Stealth wheels are accidents, while gliders getting hurt on wodent wheels are the fault of the wheel. Is that the consensus?

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: edward] #640937
09/21/08 11:02 PM
09/21/08 11:02 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

My glider is the ONLY glider I've heard of getting hurt on a Stealth. His accident I don't believe would have happened if he had both back feet and had been able to fully hold on to the wheel. I do believe this was a freak accident.

Now the wodent (whodent) wheels are another story. I've seen several gliders missing their tails because of injuries caused by the center bar of the wheel. Many other's that have been posted about, some who have died from the wounds. There was also a member on here that posted about her glider getting her patagium caught on the cotter pin that holds the wodent wheel together, tearing the patagium.

So yes, I do believe that the design of the wodent wheels are to blame for those injuries and deaths. I do not believe the Stealth was to blame for the freak accident my glider died from, but more because he was a tripod and just lost his grip.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: Dancing] #640951
09/21/08 11:16 PM
09/21/08 11:16 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
I agree, Stelth all the way! It's easier to clean (and less smelly!) The trim tracks are awsome and stay on all the time, bigger and quieter!

I really want to get the new wheels from TGI too, but the site isn't working for me to see if they are available. I really like how they are higher up. One of my gliders loves to run outside her wheel.

Dancing- What a sad story frown I am so sorry for your loss. Makes me nervrous too because my three new babies are all still learning to take turns in the wheel, and my baby boy has been enjoying quite a few "rides" tonight already.

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: SugareeErin] #641138
09/22/08 09:58 AM
09/22/08 09:58 AM
Mims, Florida, USA
hushpuppy Offline
Glider Slave
hushpuppy  Offline
Glider Slave

Mims, Florida, USA
Dancing, I am so sorry. My heart is breaking for this little glider. In 4 ½ years this is the first confirmable accident that we have had and I am devastated. I’ve always said that a wheel has moving parts and there really isn’t a way to make one that is 100% safe but that doesn’t make it any easier for me to accept that this little one might have lost it’s life while using a Stealth. I have temporarily suspended sales of the stand wheels. Tonight when Charlie gets home from work we can set down and discuss the options. I don’t know if there is anything we can do to make it safer but we will do everything possible. Yes, I know it was a freak accident, but I still want to make sure that the Stealth is the safest wheel that we can make for all animals.

Anita Rae
StealthWheels, MagnumWheels and more at Atticworx

Play with us on Facebook

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: hushpuppy] #641207
09/22/08 12:05 PM
09/22/08 12:05 PM

G
gnhughes
Unregistered
gnhughes
Unregistered
G

I am sorry to hear that there has been one tragic accident on the Stealth...poor Dancing's suggie...but I am pleased to see Hushpuppy's response. My Stealth will be here today, according to the tracking number, and I can't wait to try it. I feel more confident in using this product knowing that the maker is here to help us if we have trouble with it.

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: ] #641241
09/22/08 12:49 PM
09/22/08 12:49 PM
Florida
edward Offline
Joey Member
edward  Offline
Joey Member

Florida
@hushpuppy

Good for you on your commitment!

I certainly hope after any issues are addressed on the Stealth that in the future people will not refer to the Stealth as "Dangerous" even though a (potential) problem has been addressed, as is the case that the maker of the Wodent has had to suffer through. It's very unfortunate and can be detrimental when people make blanket or misleading statements, isn't it?

It's reminds me of a friend who refuses to buy Firestone tires because of the rash of highway failures some of their tires had many years ago. The problem is fixed, but they still spread "Firestones are dangerous" around tounge

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: edward] #641251
09/22/08 12:55 PM
09/22/08 12:55 PM

C
Crafts_Critters
Unregistered
Crafts_Critters
Unregistered
C

edward;

Sometimes hard to judge tone/intent in these forums but I hope you're not suggesting that I was making a blanket statement slamming their product?

Quote:

This was intended as a inquiry into the different products. I've already made contact with the company regarding the product so I don't know if this is a general comment or directed towards my initiation of this thread.

Last edited by Crafts_Critters; 09/22/08 12:55 PM.
Re: stealth wheel? [Re: ] #641281
09/22/08 01:32 PM
09/22/08 01:32 PM
Florida
edward Offline
Joey Member
edward  Offline
Joey Member

Florida
Not at all. I think in your post you were repeating what I have read, too. The problem is there are "complaints" about the wodent, but have they been addressed by the maker? Or are a few folks just repeating complaints from the past? (One complaint repeated a hundred times now becomes a hundred complaints to some, you know?)

So here we see an accident with the Stealth (and this applies to more than just wheels, it applies to anything, IMO) thats being addressed, which is superb. But now do I go from website to website, thread to thread repeating "the stealth wheel is dangerous"? It's not honest or fair, IMO.

And you and I have just been reading what others write.

Maybe (and this is not directed AT you) in the future some who makes blanket statements like about the "Wodent is dangerous" could say "there have been accidents with the wodent in the past but I do/do not know if the wheel has/has not been updated". Like what Dancer did in talking about her situation with the Stealth.

But my comment further up was not directed at or about you at all.

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: edward] #641288
09/22/08 01:35 PM
09/22/08 01:35 PM
Youngstown, Ohio
TheGliderPlayroom Offline
Glider Slave
TheGliderPlayroom  Offline
Glider Slave

Youngstown, Ohio
Originally Posted By: edward
Maybe (and this is not directed AT you) in the future some who makes blanket statements like about the "Wodent is dangerous" could say "there have been accidents with the wodent in the past but I do/do not know if the wheel has/has not been updated".

The Wodent HAS been updated to include the "glider guard", but accidents are still happening. A friend of mine had a glider lose part of her tail in a wodent wheel, with the glider guard installed.

Helen
The Glider Playroom
PSG/Sugar Glider Database
Vice-President of the NE.O.B.B.C.
Re: stealth wheel? [Re: TheGliderPlayroom] #641291
09/22/08 01:37 PM
09/22/08 01:37 PM
Florida
edward Offline
Joey Member
edward  Offline
Joey Member

Florida
Thanks Helen. I will be sure to check mine regularly. Do you know if your friend contacted the maker of the wodent?

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: edward] #641295
09/22/08 01:40 PM
09/22/08 01:40 PM

C
Crafts_Critters
Unregistered
Crafts_Critters
Unregistered
C

edward;

Thank you for clarifying because that's the last thing I wan't people or you to think here.

That's the main reason why I posted here. To much confusion from different individuals. And your right, sometimes it can be a complaint repeated over and over by one person and filters down to others. At least here on this forum, I can read other peoples experiences. Combined with product research and consumer opinion it can help in making a better informed decision.

I've had no issues with the Wodent Wheel but there just seems to be increased debate about it. It feels like there are some advantages to the stealth wheel like the open space to allow more natural range of motion.

Of course, when I first started out, we used to use the standard plastic open wheels. They would run that thing to death and sometimes they would just slide right out of it. So we looked into other products. But you're right there is a fix for the bar using the PVC pipe. That did come with some of our newer wheels.

Last edited by Crafts_Critters; 09/22/08 01:41 PM.
Re: stealth wheel? [Re: ] #641314
09/22/08 02:07 PM
09/22/08 02:07 PM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
Thank you, Anita Rae, for coming forward and doing something about a potential problem... when it has already been stated IT WAS NOT THE FAULT of THE STEALTH.

That is good business, and common sense, and that alone (well, in combination with your excellent reputation) will send me to your store to buy a stealth if I need to add a wheel in the future!

clap BRAVO clap

*Whatever I said, I said it with a Smile*

wave Sari

:grey:Sugar:grey:Nibbles:grey:Destiny

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Suggie Smart Mart *Home of The Hippie Pouch & Suggie Chandelier
Re: stealth wheel? [Re: SariYappa] #641423
09/22/08 04:07 PM
09/22/08 04:07 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Anita did contact me by pm to ask if I could give any more details so they could try to prevent that type of accident from ever happening again.

I told her as I posted here, that I do NOT feel it was the Stealth Wheel's fault or those that designed the Stealth. This accident was just that, an accident and was in no way caused by any design flaw to the Stealth or from any type of defective parts. It was an unforeseen accident.

It could just have as easily been one of my Rescue wheels as they are very similar to design.

Anita, as far as any changes to the Stealth, perhaps just an option of a taller stand for them. I honestly don't think that had Camelot had both back feet that this would have happened at all and the Stealths would still have a spotless record. But like you said, they are moving peices of equipment and anytime you have movement (especially as fast as MY gliders get them going) there is the risk of injury or death that is totally unavoidable. Cars are safe, it is those driving them that make them more dangerous but I don't see anyone giving up their cars (with the exception of Pintos waaaaaaaaaaaaayyy back when!)

Again, the Wodents ARE dangerous, even with the guard in place. The guard reduces the risk but gliders are still getting hurt by them. They still have the cotter pin holding them together and numerous people have posted about the wheel tracks seperating or coming apart while their gliders are running on them.

We post about jingle bells being unsafe for gliders because they can get their toes caught in them. And the vendors use cow bells or liberty bells instead. We EXPECT these vendors to make SAFE items for our gliders and to change what is found to be unsafe. The makers of the Wodents should not be held to any less standard.

I am thrilled about the new TGI wheels, so much so that I no longer make the Rescue wheels. I would LOVE to see the Wodents be able to raise their safetly levels to those of the Stealth. To me, the Stealths SET THE STANDARD of safety and we should never accept anything less safe. We NEED good wheels but more importantly we need SAFE wheels. Like with Karen's gliders, not all gliders are going to like the Stealths but prefer other types, like with closed faces or solid tracks. But those other types HAVE TO BE as close to 100% safe as posible and the wodents don't come close.

620-704-9109

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: Dancing] #641670
09/22/08 08:04 PM
09/22/08 08:04 PM
Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
cyndiekb Offline
Serious Glideritis
cyndiekb  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
Wow Dancing made me cry smile

Very sorry about your baby. Any loss is one to many. If only we could wish them back to us.

As for the WW Sheila lost one that got caught between the wheel and the cage when the cross bar went catty-wampus (did i spell that right?)

cyndiekb

I heart & miss you HALEY

My runaways 4/04 Lilo, 5/04 Dash & Angel

angel Sprite Says GO STEALTH!! at
AtticWorx
Re: stealth wheel? [Re: cyndiekb] #642456
09/23/08 05:34 PM
09/23/08 05:34 PM
Mims, Florida, USA
hushpuppy Offline
Glider Slave
hushpuppy  Offline
Glider Slave

Mims, Florida, USA
We’ve given this issue much thought and we’ve talked this over with a lot of people. The general consensus from our vendors, customers and an Exotic veterinarian is that we should leave the Stealth alone. And that is what we intend to do. We always take custom orders and if anyone wants a taller PVC stand, all they need to do it let us know and we will be happy to accommodate. As Teresa said, this accident was not the fault of the Stealth Wheel. According to the exotic vet, in the wild these animals jump form trees and land 150 feet away on another tree. Their bodies are designed to absorb that shock. Had there not been extenuating circumstances that were out of our control this accident would not have happened. We are still deeply sorry that little Camelot lost his life.

Anita Rae
StealthWheels, MagnumWheels and more at Atticworx

Play with us on Facebook

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: hushpuppy] #642514
09/23/08 07:16 PM
09/23/08 07:16 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Ok, My turn to chime in here....

Quote:
The only exercise wheel recommended and approved by the ASPCA during their Seal of Approval program (1999-2006).

The Stealth Wheel is veterinarian Approved, Recommended, Tested and Used. I would think being approved by A vet is more important than the ASPCA, especially since the vet also owns gliders.

Quote:
Over the years I have seen a couple of posts where a glider was injured using the wodent wheel. I believe they were tail injuries.

When I first Met Dr.Tristan, he did not like the idea of a wheel being placed in with gliders due to this fact. He said there wasnt a safe enough one out there. Now he has two stealth wheels he uses with his own gliders.

Quote:
I believe there was one issue regarding the mesh track on the stealth wheel and the possibility of them injuring their feet when they're running fast on the wheel.

I have had stealths in my cages for the whole 4 years they have been around, and I have never had an issue with this.

Quote:
I have to say, I have had one glider die while playing on a Stealth.

Wow, this is the first I have seen you say anything like this Teresa. Normally when you have a tragedy or even concern you post about it. Did you make a post about this previously that I missed. As you can see, I even overlooked this thread until today...

Quote:
What I believe happened is he was riding the outside of the wheel while his mate was running on the inside. I think he lost his grip with his good back foot causing his body to hit the cage floor on the downward rotation of the wheel, causing him to break his neck.

So you did not see it actually happen on the wheel? Were you the one to find him? About how long was he found after this happened?

The reason I ask, is after I read this, I called Dr.Tristan to ask him what he thought of this taking place and if he ever thought it would be an issue. He said although it is not probable, it is possible, but he would ask that a necropsy be done to make the final ruling. He again told me to stop and think of how hard gliders slam into trees when gliding in the wild, and their bodies are made to take hard impacts. He also asked me if there was something near by the bottom of the cage that the glider could have possibly hit prior to landing on the bottom of the cage? I told him I didnt know, but I would be certain to ask.

Quote:
I do think though that if the stands were made even 2-3 inches taller, this particular accident wouldn't have happend but that is speculation too.

I also brought this up to him (hope you dont mind) and he said he honestly does not see a reason for ANY changes to be made to the stealth wheel as it is right now.

He honestly did not have one bad thing to say about it nor have any kind of concerns, and he does send new glider owners that come in to see him at his clinic my way to buy a stealth.

If someone did have a fear of that being an issue though, I would have to say totally go with the side mount as that option is available with the stealth wheel.

Once again, I want to say, only because people seem want to put the two together right away...with wodent wheels it has been PROVEN that the wheel itself has caused not only injuries but also fatalities...with the stealth wheel without Teresa actually witnessing it was the wheel and without a necropsy being done to *prove it* so to speak, we can not say for certain it was due to the stealth. For all we know, something else happened and the glider went to the darkest, quietest place in the cage to die at that time. (Teresa, I am NOT trying to say you are wrong, so please dont take it that way. Just making observations and letting others know I have already called with concerns after reading about Teresas post myself, to the vet and got his thoughts on it).

Anita, thank you for being so fast to respond and do the proper research that needed to be done. You and Charlie really DO have THE BEST glider wheel out there. And although others may come and others may go, I really do pray the stealth wheel stays forever. As for my gliders and my home....

VIVA THE STEALTH WHEEL!!

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: stealth wheel? [Re: Srlb] #642524
09/23/08 07:23 PM
09/23/08 07:23 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Great post Peggy!

Ditto on all you said!!

Go STEALTH!!!!!!

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024