Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Germany!? #658827
10/19/08 05:55 AM
10/19/08 05:55 AM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
Hello all,

I am currently living in Germany for a year on an internship program. My gliders are being well cared for back home, but I was wondering if it is possible to bring gliders to Germany (just to visit not to sell or anything). I know they are allowed as pets here, but I have not found anything about paperwork, quarantine, etc. other than for dogs and cats. What I have read about dogs seems encouraging. They say that if your flight goes directly from the US to Germany, and if your dog has all of its vaccinations, then there is no quarantine and you are welcome to bring your dog directly with you. But since gliders are always a bit of a problem with airlines and such, I was hoping someone may know more about this topic.

THANK YOU!

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Germany!? [Re: oakley] #658831
10/19/08 07:52 AM
10/19/08 07:52 AM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
I understand how much you miss your babies...but you need to look at this whole situation from MORE than just the angle of getting them flown over to you.

You need to TALK to one of the vets over there & ask them if they have ANY CLUE about emergency care for a glider...what about the food situation? Are you going to be able to get whatever vitamins you'll need over in Germany? And the housing situation, are you REALLY going to have time to play with them while you're there? (I'm guessing that you're on some kind of study program...??) One last thing to chew on: When I flew overseas, it took a good 18 hours to get from Atlanta to Munich.....it'd probably every minute of those 18 hours for your gliders as well. Don't you think it'd be a LITTLE stressful on your babies to be in a crate, surrounded by tremendous noises & strange smells for that long a timeframe? And notice that I haven't said word #1 for all the fun they'd have going through customs....not a whole lot of people out there even KNOW what a sugar glider is.

I don't mean to take the air out of your dream balloon, I just want you to give some hard thought to all the hassle of bringing them over. Then reversing the whole process to bring them back to the States....

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: Germany!? [Re: minkasmom] #658893
10/19/08 11:49 AM
10/19/08 11:49 AM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
Actually, I wasn't planning on having them shipped here at all. I was thinking more along the lines of bringing them with me if I were to ever make a return visit.

But to answer your questions...

You need to TALK to one of the vets over there & ask them if they have ANY CLUE about emergency care for a glider...
** There ARE vets here that are glider knowledgeable. In fact there are roughly 80 glider breeders here in Germany which isn't a ton... but they do have vets who have seen and cared for gliders before.

what about the food situation? Are you going to be able to get whatever vitamins you'll need over in Germany?
**My gliders are on BML and in case I couldn't find repcal and herptivite over here... I could easily bring a bottle of each along.

And the housing situation, are you REALLY going to have time to play with them while you're there? (I'm guessing that you're on some kind of study program...??)
**I am living with a host family (who are very pet friendly) and you guessed incorrectly, I am on an internship program. Do I work? Yes. I work at a large horse stable from 9am to noon and then from 3pm to 6pm. I think that leaves more time than most people in the states have for their gliders.

it'd probably every minute of those 18 hours for your gliders as well. Don't you think it'd be a LITTLE stressful on your babies to be in a crate, surrounded by tremendous noises & strange smells for that long a timeframe? And notice that I haven't said word #1 for all the fun they'd have going through customs....not a whole lot of people out there even KNOW what a sugar glider is.
**Once again... why I WOULD NOT have them shipped. I don't even like the idea of shipping gliders for a few hours. And my question was ABOUT the process, please if you know anything about the customs "fun" I'd like to hear word #1 - 100! That was my question!

I am not sure why I pose questions that get ripped apart here on glider central. I know that there are knowledgeable people here that may have an answer to my questions and that is why I still value this community. So I will ask one more time:

If anyone has traveled overseas with their gliders and knows about the process that is involved, will they please inform me about the process? I am merely interested and would like to know if anyone has had an experience with this.

Thank you!

Re: Germany!? [Re: oakley] #659122
10/19/08 07:57 PM
10/19/08 07:57 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I'm sorry that no one has answered your question yet. I am not familiar with the Overseas Rules and Regulations on shipping sugar gliders. You could consult with your local airline, your vet, and or the USDA. I'm sure that someone in those areas might be able to give you some direction.

I'm sorry too if you feel as though your questions are being 'ripped apart'. After reading through the replys, I see where they are pointing out 'pros/cons' in addition to pointing out areas of concerns. Sometimes on message boards the answers given can appear to be direct/bold/critical...but once you are around and notice individuals certain patterns you will see that the larger majority are people who genuinely care about the safety and well being of these little ones.

So please, don't take things to much to heart, just know that we ALL care! hug2
Good Luck, and please keep us posted on what you find out.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024