Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veggies #661599
10/24/08 01:06 PM
10/24/08 01:06 PM

T
tan
Unregistered
tan
Unregistered
T

I have a quick question about veggies. Are you supposed to get fresh and then cook it or give it to them cold? thanks

Re: veggies [Re: ] #661610
10/24/08 01:19 PM
10/24/08 01:19 PM
Big Sandy TN
Sherri Offline
Glider Addict
Sherri  Offline
Glider Addict

Big Sandy TN
There are so many ways for veggies. It depends on how you/ your glider like them really.

Some people buy fresh and cut up and serve, some buy frozen and serve frozen. I tend to buy frozen and nuke them for a few. My gliders are picky, they like their food warmed up a little. No raw veggies in my house! They have to be cooked! There's many different ways to feed veggies. Just have to find one that works for you.

sherri

Forever home to a wide variety of animals, domestic, farm and exotic.
My passion is my little suggie sweethearts! 731-441-9814

http://www.newbysglidernook.com/index.html
Re: veggies [Re: Sherri] #661627
10/24/08 01:52 PM
10/24/08 01:52 PM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
I buy an organic frozen veggie mix and put frozen in their bowl. It thaws quickly. If you do heat up, I recommend not cooking for long, as you lose some nutrients that way.

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: veggies [Re: Sherri] #661631
10/24/08 01:56 PM
10/24/08 01:56 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Sherri is correct. All gliders are different.

Mine will not eat the mixed veggies that do not have the lima beans in them. They prefer Kroger's brand which does have limas so I pick out the limas ohwell Mine will also not eat them frozen, so I run hot water over them when they initially come out of the freezer and them keep them in the frig. I do not cook mine for any additional time.

Mine love sugar snap peas but refuse to eat the ones that you can get in the frozen form. Nope, mine have to have the ones from the produce section that are twice the price, and they want them raw - cut up dunno

Mine love sweet potatoes but not raw. Those must be cooked.

As you can see, you almost need to write down their preferences roflmao

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: veggies [Re: KarenE] #661636
10/24/08 02:02 PM
10/24/08 02:02 PM
Big Sandy TN
Sherri Offline
Glider Addict
Sherri  Offline
Glider Addict

Big Sandy TN
Yeah speaking of brands, mine will only eat the mixed veggie (walmart brand). Basically I'm just thawing them out in the microwave. If I put them in their cage frozen, they will not even eat them after they have thawed on their own. They were the same way with their BML. If I put it in their cages frozen they wouldnt touch it all night! Put it in thawed? It was gone by morning. Sugar snap peas, mine will fresh, not cooked. Carrots, green beans fresh? Mine wont touch them either unless they are cooked a little. Yeah you almost have to write everything down on how they like their food. Gotta love those picky little furrbutts!

sherri

Forever home to a wide variety of animals, domestic, farm and exotic.
My passion is my little suggie sweethearts! 731-441-9814

http://www.newbysglidernook.com/index.html
Re: veggies [Re: Sherri] #661648
10/24/08 02:43 PM
10/24/08 02:43 PM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
If your gliders are picky with carrots, you might try using a potato peeler and making thin shavings for them. Dangle those in front of them, and they'll at least have fun playing with their food. smile You can also make sure they don't get the outer layer; no matter how clean it is, it's one more step toward cleaner food.

I am blessed with non-picky eaters. heart

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: veggies [Re: KattyM] #661656
10/24/08 02:59 PM
10/24/08 02:59 PM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
OH, I am soooo lucky! The BML comes out of the ice-cube tray, and I slice it up. The vegees (also walmart brand) comes straight from the freezer, and I mix it up w/ the BML. When I have fresh vegees (this is more often than I ever thought!) they get chopped up. (I NEVER cook the food). My guys will eat a Carrot whole if I let them! All that's ever left in their plate is "shells" or "skins" of the fruit/veggees I don't peel. They used to hate peas, but now they eat those too! Go Figure! smile smile smile

*Whatever I said, I said it with a Smile*

wave Sari

:grey:Sugar:grey:Nibbles:grey:Destiny

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Suggie Smart Mart *Home of The Hippie Pouch & Suggie Chandelier
Re: veggies [Re: KattyM] #661661
10/24/08 03:16 PM
10/24/08 03:16 PM
ohio
Teresa Offline
Glider Explorer
Teresa  Offline
Glider Explorer

ohio
On the veggies, do you feed sweet potatoes, and if so how do you fix them, I can't get mine to eat them.I haven't cooked them yet not sure how long to do that to keep the nutrients in.

_______________:)________
Teresa

Canine Friends - Bourbon & Milo (English Mastiff),Sassy,(Chihuahua),Macy(pomx)

www.freewebs.com/teresaferrell
Re: veggies [Re: Teresa] #661680
10/24/08 03:56 PM
10/24/08 03:56 PM

R
Rhapsody
Unregistered
Rhapsody
Unregistered
R

I just peel & chop up the sweet potato before I feed it to my gliders... they love it that way.

Re: veggies [Re: KarenE] #661703
10/24/08 04:49 PM
10/24/08 04:49 PM

T
tan
Unregistered
tan
Unregistered
T

Mine love the frozen peas, grin i just put them in hot water to thaw them. They don't like the mixed veggies(carrots, green beans, peas, corn), they only eat the corn& peas. I just got some sweet potatoes to give tonight, do you think i should cook first or see if they will eat raw? thanks

Re: veggies [Re: ] #661710
10/24/08 05:00 PM
10/24/08 05:00 PM
Phoenix AZ
C
chattrbabe Offline
Glider Addict
chattrbabe  Offline
Glider Addict
C

Phoenix AZ
I have the wally world brand mixed veggies too. Hammy eats it all, but Fuzzy and Luna. ohwell ... I find that they eat every corn kernel and pea. No green beans and no carrots. ohwell I was thinking about serving the veggies first then basic mix with yogurt tonight just to see what they do. crazy

Ash
Re: veggies [Re: ] #661869
10/24/08 10:38 PM
10/24/08 10:38 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Mine just won't eat the sweet potatoes raw. I really think they would starve first. Stubborn little stinkers.

I cut mine in small pieces and boil until tender when pierced with a fork. Mine will eat them that way.

At Thanksgiving and Christmas I add just a little butter and brown sugar for an extra special treat. Wow, they are really loud with the chirping on those nights grin

Sugar Glider Help

Re: veggies [Re: KarenE] #661977
10/25/08 02:02 AM
10/25/08 02:02 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Sweet Potatoes should NOT be fed raw to gliders.

Sweet potato shows trypsin inhibitor activity. That means it contains an enzyme inhibitor that blocks the action of trypsin, an enzyme that digests proteins. The trypsin inhibitor prevents the digestion of protein. Sweet potatoes with higher protein levels have more of the trypsin inhibitor. This makes raw sweet potato difficult to digest. The trypsin inhibitor is deactivated by cooking.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: veggies [Re: Dancing] #662047
10/25/08 11:38 AM
10/25/08 11:38 AM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

I swear I learn something everytime I come here! Good thing mine wouldn't touch the raw sweet potato. Thanks Teresa!

I use the Walmart frozen veggies too. I just put them in the bowls frozen as my kiddos eat the BML first (they like it frozen smile ), so by the time they get around to the veggies they are room temperature. I have noticed that they eat the grapes better if they have been frozen first! It makes them sweeter and gives the juice almost a creamy texture (when still frozen), you should try them yourself. YUMMY!

Re: veggies [Re: ] #662088
10/25/08 12:59 PM
10/25/08 12:59 PM

L
LyssAndRemy
Unregistered
LyssAndRemy
Unregistered
L

Wow! I am glad I saw this thread. We just got three new glider girls, and we switched everyone over to HPW so we can feed new fruits and veggies.

Does anyone have any success with broccoli and califlower? I saw it on the safe list, but I have never offered it before.

Re: veggies [Re: ] #662092
10/25/08 01:05 PM
10/25/08 01:05 PM

L
lindayaks
Unregistered
lindayaks
Unregistered
L

Hi, wow, three new ones, are they rescues?
I don't give mine broccoli or cauliflower because they are "gassy" foods, and could cause your gliders some discomfort. Some people do offer them, but in small amounts, and I think fewer people offer cauliflower.

Linda

Re: veggies [Re: ] #662121
10/25/08 01:51 PM
10/25/08 01:51 PM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

Mine will eat just the tiny bushy tips of the broccoli, but in moderation as they are "gassy", and gliders have trouble releasing gas. LOL Don't want sore bloated babies do ya? LOL And they won't TOUCH cauliflower! I find it shriveled on the floor of the cage. Come to think of it... it really doesn't have any taste raw anyway.

Re: veggies [Re: Dancing] #662410
10/26/08 01:14 AM
10/26/08 01:14 AM
Melbourne Australia
Marz Offline
Glider Guardian
Marz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: Dancing

Sweet potato shows trypsin inhibitor activity. That means it contains an enzyme inhibitor that blocks the action of trypsin, an enzyme that digests proteins. The trypsin inhibitor prevents the digestion of protein. Sweet potatoes with higher protein levels have more of the trypsin inhibitor. This makes raw sweet potato difficult to digest. The trypsin inhibitor is deactivated by cooking.

Could you please share a link on this research with the effects of trypsin inhibitors on sugar gliders?
It would be very interesting reading especially as most zoos/wildlife facilities here feed raw sweet potato to their marsupials including the Taronga Zoo.

Sweet corn, peas, snow peas, beans,other legumes, soy, also contain trypsin inhibitors, mostly have higher protein levels than sweet potato.These are all fed to gliders too so why is raw sweet potato any more harmful than these? Maybe the research done on it can give an answer.

Re: veggies [Re: ] #662434
10/26/08 02:53 AM
10/26/08 02:53 AM
Houston, TX
wclanton423 Offline
Glider Guardian
wclanton423  Offline
Glider Guardian

Houston, TX
Originally Posted By: BelladonnasMom
I swear I learn something everytime I come here! Good thing mine wouldn't touch the raw sweet potato. Thanks Teresa!

I use the Walmart frozen veggies too. I just put them in the bowls frozen as my kiddos eat the BML first (they like it frozen smile ), so by the time they get around to the veggies they are room temperature. I have noticed that they eat the grapes better if they have been frozen first! It makes them sweeter and gives the juice almost a creamy texture (when still frozen), you should try them yourself. YUMMY!

Are you using just any type of frozen veggies? Could I use frozen veggies at any grocery store?

Whitney

~Southland Sugar Gliders~

Mommy to:
:grey: :rtmo: :leu: :wfb:
my dogs, Duke and Nikki
my cat Puma
my awesome bunny Swayzee

Re: veggies [Re: wclanton423] #662517
10/26/08 11:06 AM
10/26/08 11:06 AM
Fort Wayne, Indiana
tlkngfethrs1 Offline
Glider Lover
tlkngfethrs1  Offline
Glider Lover

Fort Wayne, Indiana
My little one will eat all her BML first then her veggies and leaves her fruit for morning.
my veggies are frozen mixed, no lima bean.
and almost all fruit is fresh, the blue berry is frozen.
she eats every bit of the corn and peas, and some nights will pick at the carrots and green beans, others she eats it all..lol.. I might try and cook the G beans and carrots for a few seconds and see if it makes any difference
or offer fresh carrots..
and for the sweet potatoes could I offer it baked?
I know on BML I have a very limited list of things to offer
but I eat them like that all the time and thought as a very limited treat might be okay? I also do not add anything to mine. just bake it, open it and yumm!!

:bb: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :cream: :wt: :lion:
Vet tech, Hobby breeder and slave to many fuzz butts of all kinds!

Re: veggies [Re: wclanton423] #662539
10/26/08 12:33 PM
10/26/08 12:33 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Quote:
Are you using just any type of frozen veggies? Could I use frozen veggies at any grocery store?

As far as I know any brand will be fine as long as your glider/s will eat it. As I mentioned above my gliders have a preference of one brand over another. They even take it further where carrots are concerned because the brand without limas they don't like, they will eat the carrots only out of that mix but nothing else. The mix they do like with limas, they will not eat the carrots in that one.

No, I'm not crazy enough to pick the carrots out of one and put them in the mix of the other shakehead But on the nights they get the sugar snap peas, they get the carrots they like and the rest of the mix I keep frozen and use when I make homemade veg/beef soup (like yesterday grin ) .

Baked sweet potato would be fine if you happen to have some leftover but I wouldn't heat the oven just for the suggies. Most grocery stores now sell the pre-wrapped sweet potatoes ready for the microwave. I have used these and mine loved them. Much quicker than the oven or stove top. You can still add a tiny bit of butter and brown sugar for those very special occasions.

Hope this has helped.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: veggies [Re: KarenE] #662541
10/26/08 12:36 PM
10/26/08 12:36 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: Marz

Could you please share a link on this research with the effects of trypsin inhibitors on sugar gliders?
It would be very interesting reading especially as most zoos/wildlife facilities here feed raw sweet potato to their marsupials including the Taronga Zoo.

Sweet corn, peas, snow peas, beans,other legumes, soy, also contain trypsin inhibitors, mostly have higher protein levels than sweet potato.These are all fed to gliders too so why is raw sweet potato any more harmful than these? Maybe the research done on it can give an answer.

Teresa, as Marz has pointed out, this would be extremely important not only for the suggie owners but for others as well if you would post the link/s.

thanks

Sugar Glider Help

Re: veggies [Re: KarenE] #662575
10/26/08 01:49 PM
10/26/08 01:49 PM

R
Raquel
Unregistered
Raquel
Unregistered
R

I boil FRESH organic Sweet potatoes & Yams, cut it into pieces and place them in plastic "zip lock" bags in the freezer.

When I'm preparing every night their food, I just take the amount I need, and put it in hot water for few minutes (NOT in the microwave), until they defrost.
Also put in hot water any other "frozen" veggies (sweet peas, carrots, etc - always organic) that I want to give them that day.
Then cut it into tiny pieces.

Somedays I cut it all the same way, but others, I change the shape.
And other days, I either add a little bit of Gerber Organic Apple juice or honey, over the veggies already served.
That way, they can repeat the same, but makes them feel it's somehow different (mines gets bored of the same...). wink

Re: veggies [Re: ] #662618
10/26/08 02:37 PM
10/26/08 02:37 PM
ohio
Teresa Offline
Glider Explorer
Teresa  Offline
Glider Explorer

ohio
Thanks,Teresa If any of you know or any of the veggies that need to be cooked please if you could list them for us or tell us where to go to find the info. I feed frozen veggies as well but in the summer,I like to get the fresh when .What about the eggplants and squashes.

Teresa

Re: veggies [Re: Teresa] #662676
10/26/08 04:24 PM
10/26/08 04:24 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Yams and Sweet Potatoes are two different things. They are very similar in nature but there is a difference. True yams are completely toxic uncooked. Sweet potatoes have the trypsin inhibitor that is neutralized when cooked.

This article discusses the differences between Yams and Sweet Potatoes.

http://neocassava.blogspot.com/2007/05/sweet-potato-and-yam-differences.html

Here is one site that tells of the different types of potatoes and tubers. And shows that they are indeed different.

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/vege1.htm

This next article discusses roots tubors and such and the toxic properties of them.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/T0207E/T0207E08.htm#Sweet%20potato

Also, there are many foods that we eat that are from the nightshade family such as potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant and several types of chili peppers.

The issue with the nightshade is in the different alkaloids found within those plants. Cooking them reduces the alkaloid content about 40-50% but does not eliminate them. There are high concentrations of these alkaloids in green potatos as well as the sprouts on the potatoes. While these alkaloids are not generally an issue to humans, some people are sensitive to them and eating them can cause agrivation to health issues for them such as joint issues such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout. They can also agrivate nevous system issues as well.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=62

Sweet potatoes are in the nightshade family.

Now I was asked where there are specific studies on gliders. Sorry, just having to go on the basis that these are potentially dangerous and "not taking the risk". It is just easier to cook the sweet potatoes before feeding them to the gliders.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: veggies [Re: Dancing] #662677
10/26/08 04:26 PM
10/26/08 04:26 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

And here is more specific info on eggplant (since it was asked about)

pay attention to the 5th paragraph...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/eggplant/

620-704-9109

Re: veggies [Re: Dancing] #662684
10/26/08 04:54 PM
10/26/08 04:54 PM
Melbourne Australia
Marz Offline
Glider Guardian
Marz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Melbourne Australia

Sweet potatoes are in the nightshade family.

You have caught me on the way out the door to work so can't have a look at the links provided till I get home tonight. However, I always thought the sweet potato is of the morning glory family rather than the nightshade family as they are only very distantly related to the regular potato.

Your original post though was in regards to trypsin inhibitors and why you need to cook the sweet potatoes.
Sweet corn, beans, peas and other legumes etc contain the same trypsin inhibitors and have a higher protein content so hence my original query as it peaked my interest.

Anyway must fly.

Re: veggies [Re: Marz] #662903
10/27/08 02:35 AM
10/27/08 02:35 AM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Sweet potatoes are in the morning glory family but they are both nightshade plants.

trypsin inhibitors and sweet potatoes.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/klu/qual/2003/00000058/00000002/00336181

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/85512443/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

http://books.google.com/books?id=HmuIawERewYC&pg=PA203&lpg=PA203&dq=trypsin+inhibitors+sweet+potatoes&source=web&ots=8XYUs3KHhW&sig=vJLjyBYfW2uf7-nyVRqIgNymNB8&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result

620-704-9109

Re: veggies [Re: Dancing] #662953
10/27/08 07:59 AM
10/27/08 07:59 AM
Fort Wayne, Indiana
tlkngfethrs1 Offline
Glider Lover
tlkngfethrs1  Offline
Glider Lover

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Quote:
Most grocery stores now sell the pre-wrapped sweet potatoes ready for the microwave.

LOL.. Sorry I am too cheap to buy them that way our stores have them and they go for like $2.99!! EA.
I have a potatoe baker for the mic. it will hold 4 taters at a time or two sweet taters!
I don't see any point in cooking them in the oven,
takes WAY to long!!

:bb: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :cream: :wt: :lion:
Vet tech, Hobby breeder and slave to many fuzz butts of all kinds!

Re: veggies [Re: Dancing] #662954
10/27/08 08:00 AM
10/27/08 08:00 AM
ohio
Teresa Offline
Glider Explorer
Teresa  Offline
Glider Explorer

ohio
Thanks for the info, I will just cook the Sguash and Sweet potatoes and only give as a snack.

Teresa

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024