Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Please Help - Glider ill #668507
11/05/08 07:20 PM
11/05/08 07:20 PM

G
gliderb
Unregistered
gliderb
Unregistered
G

I have a six year old female. Noticed Saturday that she had a wound under her left flap. Took her to a vet on Monday. He said he felt infection under the scab and gave us antibiotics.

I've been giving the antiobiotics to her but am afraid not all of the syrup is going down. There are drops all over the towel and she spit it out one time. Then when I gave it to her the second time today, I followed the procedures for using the syringe, holding her tight and not letting her shake her head, etc. I think it worked. The amount of medicine is so tiny, I'm not sure she's getting it all.

She doesn't look any better: low ears, really labored breathing, plus she hardly eats, though she'll eat grapes and peas and a bit of yogurt. I've been giving her gatorade several times a day to keep her hydrated. I'm getting really worried now.

I was hopeful this morning when I fed her some treats, but now she seems more sluggish.

Please help! What else can I do?

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: ] #668514
11/05/08 07:27 PM
11/05/08 07:27 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
My suggestion would be to take her back for another check up. Sometimes the initial antibiotics might not be the right type, so they sometimes will need to change the medication or increase the dose.
The best thing to do right now is to make sure that she is getting plenty of fluids and is kept warm.

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: LSardou] #668520
11/05/08 07:34 PM
11/05/08 07:34 PM

G
gliderb
Unregistered
gliderb
Unregistered
G

Thanks for the quick response! How do I know if it's getting worse? I saw those pics on the forum of the glider that passed. That is exactly how Joojoo looks and now I'm freaked. Is eating a good sign even though it's just a little bit?

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: ] #668554
11/05/08 08:33 PM
11/05/08 08:33 PM

R
Raquel
Unregistered
Raquel
Unregistered
R

Prayers sent for your little one hug2

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: ] #668572
11/05/08 08:56 PM
11/05/08 08:56 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Originally Posted By: gliderb
Thanks for the quick response! How do I know if it's getting worse? I saw those pics on the forum of the glider that passed. That is exactly how Joojoo looks and now I'm freaked. Is eating a good sign even though it's just a little bit?
Gliders will try to act normal for as long as they can. The fact that her ears are still low and she's sluggish, along with the labored breathing says that she's in deep distress. She needs to see a vet immediately at this point worried I'm not trying to scare you, but she is in critical condition right now frown

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: ] #668574
11/05/08 08:58 PM
11/05/08 08:58 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
Where in Texas are you??? You can call me if you wish................phone number under below under siggy!

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: ] #668578
11/05/08 09:01 PM
11/05/08 09:01 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
Hon - you really need to get her in for another vet visit. Perhaps someone here has experience with a different vet in San Antonio? What vet did you see?

He "felt infection under the scab?" I wish I had known that before. Infection is very dangerous for our little ones. I would have suggested a culture and sensitivity to ensure that you have her on the best possible antibiotic. That takes a few days, though, and no longer can be done since you have started antibiotics. It is possible that she needs a stronger dose of antibiotics.

She needs to be in a very small hospital cage - restrict her movement. Be sure to keep the cage very clean. Keep her warm, as sometimes when they are ill, gliders have a very difficult time regulating their body temperature.

She sounds very ill. I'm keeping her in my prayers. Wish I was closer.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #668590
11/05/08 09:08 PM
11/05/08 09:08 PM
Homestead, FL
Adri Offline
Glider Guardian
Adri  Offline
Glider Guardian

Homestead, FL
I'm praying for you and your baby. I hope everything works out hug2 hug2 hug2

Adri

Mother of 2
Adrian, Sofie
Slave to many glidin' gliders

www.sugarsensation.com

Within the heart of every stray lies the singular desire to be loved.
Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: Adri] #668610
11/05/08 09:47 PM
11/05/08 09:47 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
There are many vets in San Antonio that can look at your baby. She needs another visit. Val gave you very good advice.

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: USMom] #668624
11/05/08 09:59 PM
11/05/08 09:59 PM

G
gliderb
Unregistered
gliderb
Unregistered
G

I went to Castle West Animal Hospital in San Antonio. Saw Dr. McGehee. Thought he was very nice and knowledgable. Now I'm confused. Why isn't she getting better? I live an hour south of SA. How do I get in to see someone else on such short notice? There are only 3 vets listed as glider vets on the forum. I've been to the one on Broadway several years ago and wasn't that impressed. So do I go back to McGehee or try another one? I'm so upset and stressed. I'm sitting here holding Joojoo crying like a baby. I will never forgive myself if she dies.

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: ] #668640
11/05/08 10:18 PM
11/05/08 10:18 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
I have heard of Castle West, I think it was good, but can't remember. Has she eaten? Is she drinking? If she dies, don't blame yourself, they hide illnesses VERY well. If she isn't drinking, you can give her fluids with the syringe, like you do meds. Right now, she needs to eat anything she will eat.
Call them in the morning and see if you can get back in, and ask the vet about an injection of antibiotics, to start things off.

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: USMom] #668650
11/05/08 10:38 PM
11/05/08 10:38 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
have you done the tent test?? gently pinch the skin on her neck if it stays up or is very slow to go down then she s dehydrated...............praying for y'all!

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: USMom] #668651
11/05/08 10:41 PM
11/05/08 10:41 PM
Sycamore Illinois
Karin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Karin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Sycamore Illinois
Absolutely everything everyone has said is true and we are all here for you both hug2 .

A little trick I learned recently when giving meds is...hold your glider and gently get your glider to open the back part of their mouth and give the meds...then immediately rub their nose and they will swallow. Mine would hold the meds for 40 secs. and then shake his head and I went through the same thing. The nose petting worked though.

Karin

Miss Lily and Bud
Prada and Armani
Tessa, Deuce and Cami

Tira and Misu angel Deja and Vu

Glider Daydreams

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...It is about learning to
dance in the rain!"
Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: Karin] #668696
11/05/08 11:30 PM
11/05/08 11:30 PM

G
GoGoGliders
Unregistered
GoGoGliders
Unregistered
G

hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: ] #668701
11/05/08 11:44 PM
11/05/08 11:44 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Please update us when you can.

Sending all good thoughts to you and Joojoo. I know this is so frightening. Please find an emergency vet and get her in.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: ValkyrieMome] #668757
11/06/08 01:13 AM
11/06/08 01:13 AM

G
gliderb
Unregistered
gliderb
Unregistered
G

Hmmm...I don't want to be too overconfident here, but Joojoo slept for a long while on me tonight. When she woke up she was still breathing the same way (heavy) but she was perkier, ears up. And she ate peas, grape, gatorade, water, and yogurt. That's the most I've seen her eat in the past couple of days. Then she ran in her wheel for a while. The cage I have her in (for traveling and separation) is pretty small, so I don't think she'll overdo it. But I understand what ya'll said about gliders trying to act normally and to keep them restricted. I tried the tent test and I think she's still dehydrated even with the gatorade and water she had. Should I be giving her any fluids (water, pedialyte) in syringe? I don't want to do anything that could unecessarily harm her.

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: ] #668759
11/06/08 01:21 AM
11/06/08 01:21 AM
u.s.a.
the gliders angel Offline
Glider Addict
the gliders angel  Offline
Glider Addict

u.s.a.
you can try giving the meds in a drop of yogurt on your finger if you know for sure she will eat the yogurt all of it. also you need to give her protein try bugs if you have if meds dont help in 3 days you need to change them.

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: ] #668799
11/06/08 07:33 AM
11/06/08 07:33 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Her continued dehydration is a concern. You should definitely start giving her Pedialyte via oral syringe immediately and then get her into a vet first thing this morning. Whether it's the same vet or not is your choice, but be waiting on their doorstep when they open up. Your glider may need sub-cutaneous fluids due to the dehydration and probably needs a change in antibiotics (dosage or type). Did Dr. McGehee give you a topical antibiotic cream to use on the wound as well? Silver Sulfadiazine (SSD) is an excellent one that I always keep on hand to use for my glider that has SM (Self Mutilation) issues and frequently has open wounds.

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: sugarglidersuz] #668833
11/06/08 08:50 AM
11/06/08 08:50 AM

B
beezer
Unregistered
beezer
Unregistered
B

I only have one suggestion and that is to find another vet that someone in this forum has used - Don't be scared just get your little one in to see a Dr. ASAP - please keep us informed and good luck

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: ] #668837
11/06/08 09:06 AM
11/06/08 09:06 AM
Long Island, NY
Gossamer Offline
Glider Slave
Gossamer  Offline
Glider Slave

Long Island, NY
As others have said - please take her back to the vet - even if you have to run her to an emergency vet. The doctor should not have sent her home if she looked like you described.

Jeannine

3 Cats (Spike, Kismet, Honeycat)
1 understanding Husband
1 WFB Neutered Glider boy - Grissom! (oop 8/7/06) :wfb:
1 BB Glider girl- Willows! (oop 1/7/07) :bb:
Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: Gossamer] #668967
11/06/08 12:42 PM
11/06/08 12:42 PM
Phoenix, AZ
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis
KattyM  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Phoenix, AZ
It's great she ate a bit and you've been keeping her warm and trying to keep her hydrated. hug2 Being dehydrated is very serious, though, and she may need sub-q fluids from a vet. I wouldn't wait until tomorrow morning. There are many long hours between now and then, and you've got another night ahead of you to worry about her health. I urge you to take her to a vet now, and save yourself some money with an emergency vet visit this evening.

Gliders do hide their illnesses as best they can, and you shouldn't blame yourself if your wee one passes, but in the meantime, it would greatly improve her chances of living if you take her to the vet right away. The sooner, the better.

With your baby girl, especially with dehydration, an infection, and continued labored breathing, "tomorrow's another day" may not hold true. worried

Please keep us updated. hug2

Forever owned in my heart by my :grey: "Eight is Enough" colony:

:rbridge:
• 2002: Keiko (F) + 2003: Hiroshi (M) = 2004: joey Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M), Herbie (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: KattyM] #669063
11/06/08 02:48 PM
11/06/08 02:48 PM

G
gliderb
Unregistered
gliderb
Unregistered
G

I took Jooj to another vet first thing this morning. This vet, Dr. Vice, supposedly has years and years of experience with exotics. He says the reason she hasn't responded to the antibiotics is because she has congestive heart failure, not an infection.

He looked at the wound and said it didn't look infected. He listened to her heart. Then he gave her a shot of penicillin as back up for the wound and a shot of Lasik for her heart. He says after 2-3 doses of Lasik, her breathing should rapidly return to normal. He told me he thinks it's an aging thing, that she's at the end of her life span (between 6-9). That he rarely see gliders past 10. He also said it's possible that she could live a few years longer with the medication.

I'm supposed to give her Lasik orally every twelve hours. He said for me to let him know if her breathing doesn't return to normal by Sat.

The way she looks right now, I'm wondering if she'll make it through the night.

Does this seem right to you all? I can't afford to keep taking her to different vets. I'm at a loss.

I stayed up with her all night. Kept feeding her whatever she wanted to eat and I have been giving her pedialyte. I ditched work today to be with her. I'm ditching tomorrow too. Any thoughts?

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: ] #669074
11/06/08 03:07 PM
11/06/08 03:07 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
My first thought is that you are clearly a very loving and dedicated suggie momma. Thank you for loving her like you do.

It is possible that she will live longer. Gliders are living 11 years or longer now-a-days - esp. those who have been well loved, fed a good diet and provided regular vet care. She is well loved, and even if her passing comes soon, she will have known a love that many gliders never know.

I would be remiss if I did not remind you to be prepared, though. Should she pass, would you please consider a necropsy so that others can learn from her and her condition? I am willing to help you with this. Please PM me if you need further instructions or information about the SUGAR group and our ongoing research efforts.

CHF is very serious. I am very sorry that it was not diagnosed in your first vet visit. I'm glad that you took our advice and got a second opinion. I know that Joojoo is as well.
My prayers are with you. Please keep us updated.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #669292
11/06/08 08:12 PM
11/06/08 08:12 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
wow........................my thoughts and prayers are with you both!!

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #669298
11/06/08 08:20 PM
11/06/08 08:20 PM

G
gliderb
Unregistered
gliderb
Unregistered
G

Okay, I'm stressing again.

I can't find any information on congestive heart disease/failure in gliders. I'm worried about my second diagnosis now because I just found out that Lasik is a diuretic--flushes out the system. So now she has diarrhea. How is that going to help a dehydrated glider with a wound?

Can anyone help me find answers? I'm going to freak if she dies because I didn't find the right vet. Can anyone verify this diagnosis from a past experience? I understand the diuretic is to help flush the lungs which fill with fluid from the congestive heart failure. I just don't know if CHF is really what's wrong with her or not. Seems coincidental that CHF would start right at the same time when she gets a wound. Can she develop CHF from stress?

Another thing, the vet had to do some conversion from rodents to sugar gliders for the right dosage, which makes me think he hadn't given this to gliders before. This is so frustrating. I really can't take it any more.

One final gripe: I don't understand why these vets don't think she looks like she's on death's door. According to all these posts I read here, gliders that look like mine get sub q'd and put in little animal hospital cages, etc. Why is my glider just given some meds that don't seem to do anything?

Whew! Much better. Thank you for listening.

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: ] #669307
11/06/08 08:30 PM
11/06/08 08:30 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
call maryh at 979-478-7546 If you get her answering machine just start talking about your ill glider and she will pick up.

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: Cora] #669449
11/06/08 11:23 PM
11/06/08 11:23 PM

G
gliderb
Unregistered
gliderb
Unregistered
G

Thank you! I called Mary and we had a nice long chat. She gave me some advice for tonight and some numbers to call. You all have been so much help. I'll keep you posted.

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: ] #669460
11/07/08 12:03 AM
11/07/08 12:03 AM

A
akoehler
Unregistered
akoehler
Unregistered
A

I do not know about CHF in gliders, but I am in EMS and I know about CHF in humans. CHF = congestive heart failure. What that means is the heart is unable to pump blood at a rate to meet the metabolic needs of the body. Which in turns means that it starts backing up into the lungs. Which in severe CHF patients will have pink frothy suptum (almost like foaming at the mouth). That means the lungs are normally FULL of fluid (pulmonary edema). CHF patients will have labored breathing. Lasix is a diuretic and that means yes fluid will be pulled out of the body and cause excessive urination. IF IF IF your little one has CHF the lasix will PULL the fluid out of the lungs and the breathing should be better. As you are using the lasix give pedialyte because the lasix can cause an eletrolyte imbalance because you the fluid is being pulled out. I hope this helps out and my thoughts are with you and your little one. hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: ] #669472
11/07/08 12:26 AM
11/07/08 12:26 AM
u.s.a.
the gliders angel Offline
Glider Addict
the gliders angel  Offline
Glider Addict

u.s.a.
mary is the best but i would go to another vet again. if possible marys or dr tristan who i know is in texas i would have a urine culture and sensitivity run and a fecal culture but they need to be off all meds to do this test. i would keep her protein level up its important try mealies or waxworms or even superworms boiled chicked or egg labored breathing could also be a sign of pmumonia or resp infection.

Re: Please Help - Glider ill [Re: the gliders angel] #669496
11/07/08 01:02 AM
11/07/08 01:02 AM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
Your welcome Anna.....................Praying for you all!

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024